UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > pup only trees lay ups and winds
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Kyboy4808
UKC Forum Member

pup only trees lay ups and winds

have a year old blue pup. he has treed 4 coons and 2 possum... minum hunting which is my fault. he will run tracks but wont tree them. he will however break off from dogs and fall treed and is constantly winding. any ideas how to get him opening on track and not relying on winding?? blind cage coons?? he will tree a drag all day just wont open.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-12-2018 03:57 PM
Kyboy4808 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kyboy4808 Click here to Send Kyboy4808 a Private Message Click Here to Email Kyboy4808 Find more posts by Kyboy4808 Add Kyboy4808 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

I've had several start that way, not unusual at all. Daniel Wilson's old Hank dog started that way and ended up being one of the best track dogs in this area. My advice would dont train, just hunt every night you can till you got at least 30 nights on him then reevaluate where he is.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 01-12-2018 04:32 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

You don't have a problem. Time and experience is all he needs and then it will all come together.

Old Post 01-12-2018 04:33 PM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nickhagerman
UKC Forum Member

What's he out of just wondering

GrNitech Eagle Lake Mojane
2022 Silver lake walker sec. CW
2022 walker days CW
2022 Wyatt rqe 1st place
2023 lieters ford rqe 2nd place
2023 TOC top 96
Qualified for TOC 2023, 2024

Nitech Eagle Lake smiling Bob
Qualified for TOC 2024, 2025
Nitech at 13 months

Nick Hagerman (260)237-0392

Old Post 01-12-2018 04:56 PM
nickhagerman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nickhagerman Click here to Send nickhagerman a Private Message Click Here to Email nickhagerman Find more posts by nickhagerman Add nickhagerman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Well

I would stop laying drags, caged Coon and just hunt him. If he can already run track and has treed then he’s on his way. Keep hunting him. He’s a bluetick, you got something special.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 01-12-2018 07:15 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kyboy4808
UKC Forum Member

he is out of treetop hollerin copperhead road which goes back to guage and Lonnie utchmans stuff. bob gutzwiller is where I bought him from. Heck of a guy!!!

Old Post 01-12-2018 09:22 PM
Kyboy4808 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kyboy4808 Click here to Send Kyboy4808 a Private Message Click Here to Email Kyboy4808 Find more posts by Kyboy4808 Add Kyboy4808 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ringtail
UKC Forum Member

Jim, Mike and Richard already gave you the right answers to your question. So all I can say is, I wish I had him. If you want a sure enough knucklehead, I have one I'd be more than happy to trade ya.😁

"TREE MY DOG" - NO BETTER FEELING

NAADP Charter Member....... appointed by King Dave himself........

Last edited by ringtail on 01-13-2018 at 04:05 AM

Old Post 01-13-2018 04:02 AM
ringtail is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ringtail Click here to Send ringtail a Private Message Click Here to Email ringtail Find more posts by ringtail Add ringtail to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

pup only trees lay ups and winds

I have seen this as well. He may be very intimidated by the other dogs, Thus not yet strong willed enough to push for a position on the tree.

If that is in fact the case, this is what I did when a pup I was starting went through this.

I hunted him strictly by himself until he treed 15 coons. I then put him back in company and he fell right in and pushed for a position on the tree and let all the world know he was treed.

Now I know January is not the time to single out a real green young dog. But I would hunt him until he has treed 15-20 coon (by himself) without putting him back in company, and then drop him a few times in (GOOD) company and see what he does. Make sure the dogs you are hunting him with are not pinching, shouldering him (or worse) at the tree when you start putting him back in company. Good Luck

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 01-13-2018 04:47 AM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote