UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Pup getting aggressive
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

Pup getting aggressive

I have a 5 month old male pup that is starting to show some aggression over a dead coon. He's been to the woods 4 or 5 times with me while I'm hunting my female. From the first night till now he has never stayed at my feet he sometimes goes with the other dog or he will go a couple hundred yards the other way by his self. I showed him a caged coon the other day with my buddies 6 month old female pups. He showed no aggression at the tree or while the coon was in the cage. I turned it loose and it ran maybe 50 yards, we cut the pups loose and mine tracked and treed it. I figured he did a good job so I shot it out dead. He started shaking it and when the other pups came close he would carry it off. I laid a drag with it and all the pups were treeing it, when I pulled it down he would nip at the other pups and not let touch it. I took him my female and one of my buddies pups hunting tonight. My female struck a track and my pup struck it also. My female treed it, my pup came back to us. I tied my pup back and shot it out to my female. Then after 10 min or so I let my pup go. He grabbed the coon and when any of the other dogs got close he would start growling and snapping at them so I put a little boot leather on him. He got better but was still getting a little fussy. This pup has never shown aggression before this. I'm probably going to put him up for a while. Anyone got any good ideas on stopping this before it's too late?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-25-2016 04:57 AM
BLAKE WHEELER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLAKE WHEELER Click here to Send BLAKE WHEELER a Private Message Click Here to Email BLAKE WHEELER Find more posts by BLAKE WHEELER Add BLAKE WHEELER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr taylor
UKC Forum Member

Most of all Aggression is bread into them and is hard if not impossible to fix, You can control it to a point most of the time although i have never seen a dog myself that was total broke from Aggression, You will have to either try and collar break him or take the old fashion route to try and break him or start tying him or the other dogs back before you shoot it out, Good luck but that is something that is hard to try and fix is a ill dog .

Old Post 10-25-2016 05:18 AM
mr taylor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr taylor Click here to Send mr taylor a Private Message Find more posts by mr taylor Add mr taylor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

Don't let him chew on a coon, problem solved. Shouldn't need hair in his mouth to have the desire to run and tree

Old Post 10-25-2016 12:24 PM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

The thing that gets me is I take him to my inlaws house just about every sunday. They have a 7mt Brittany spaniel pup that he plays with. They are fine together, give them a bone and one is on one end and the other is on the other end both chewing on the same bone and no fussing. He is fine around new dogs. Its like when he gets in the woods he thinks he is dominant over the other dogs.

Old Post 10-25-2016 03:21 PM
BLAKE WHEELER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLAKE WHEELER Click here to Send BLAKE WHEELER a Private Message Click Here to Email BLAKE WHEELER Find more posts by BLAKE WHEELER Add BLAKE WHEELER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

Lots of hounds get possessive over a kill. You ever wanted to fight over something ? Don't overthink it

Old Post 10-25-2016 03:56 PM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
qchounds
UKC Forum Member

worst thing you can do is let more than one hound "fight" a dead coon. It will start a dog fight more often than not. I knock coon out, and give each dog that treed it a chance to get their teeth in it, but only when the other one is tied back

Old Post 10-25-2016 05:20 PM
qchounds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for qchounds Click here to Send qchounds a Private Message Click Here to Email qchounds Find more posts by qchounds Add qchounds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

You have already started the correct training. When he starts acting possessive over the dead coon use a switch on his head. Let him know that aggression will not be tolerated. It usually only takes a few lessons and it is most times cured for life.

Old Post 10-25-2016 07:28 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

I think Im going to put him in the pen with my female. Im going to feed them together(not the same bowl) and start making them ride in the box together. My female is great around puppies but wont let them run over her.

Old Post 10-25-2016 08:42 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

the best young hound I ever had was growly over the first coon I knocked out to her. I, like you, was concerned and decided I just would only let one dog at a time at the coon. However the next coon came out alive and fighting and both dogs had all they could handle. Seemed like after that she understood the other dog wasn't trying to take the coon away but help kill the coon. After that no more trouble. Don't worry too much at this stage.

Old Post 10-25-2016 09:08 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JOSH VAUGHN
UKC Forum Member

Don't worry........

Be happy! That's no different than showing aggression around the feed bowl. It doesn't mean he will be a mean dog. That just comes from them 2 things mounted below his bunghole.

Old Post 10-26-2016 12:06 AM
JOSH VAUGHN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JOSH VAUGHN Click here to Send JOSH VAUGHN a Private Message Click Here to Email JOSH VAUGHN Find more posts by JOSH VAUGHN Add JOSH VAUGHN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ryan Karl
UKC Forum Member

Ain't a big deal. I had a old hound that would fight over food, female in heat, and a dead coon. In that order lol. Couldn't of made the dog fight at a tree if you wanted to. never had him show any aggression on a tree or anywhere else. Don't want him fighting over a dead coon, then don't shoot them out to him with other dogs. Problem solved. I would fight over food.

Milano, Tx

Nitech CH Nolan Creek Pride
Nolan Creek Joy

R.I.P.

Grnitech Grch pr Nolan Creek Prides Maverick HTX 3

Old Post 10-26-2016 04:05 AM
Ryan Karl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ryan Karl Click here to Send Ryan Karl a Private Message Click Here to Email Ryan Karl Find more posts by Ryan Karl Add Ryan Karl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Just curious about this. If you let an older hound get ahold of the Coon first does he still show aggression towards the other dogs?

My older blue bitch won't let another dog near the Coon if you unsnap her first to fight it. But as long as another dog gets it first she's fine.

Old Post 10-26-2016 11:41 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

Novicane

Yes he is still aggressive over it. He has only seen 2 dead coons. The first one was Sunday and the second one was Monday. The first one I shot out dead and he was the only pup that had the nerve out of the 3 to grab it. The others wouldn't touch it till he grabbed it. He was tied back on the second coon because he wasn't treeing, so my female got this one to her self for 10 or so min then I tied her back and let the pup have at it.

Last edited by BLAKE WHEELER on 10-26-2016 at 03:20 PM

Old Post 10-26-2016 03:17 PM
CAAN
UKC Forum Member

If you let two dogs chew on a dead coon long enough there will always be growling or fighting.
Why let a dog chew on a dead coon once it is dead and dog grabs it for 10 -15 seconds that's just as good as 10 minutes asking for trouble the longer you let two dogs chew on a coon jmo.

Old Post 10-26-2016 04:41 PM
CAAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CAAN Click here to Send CAAN a Private Message Find more posts by CAAN Add CAAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lovis Burns
UKC Forum Member

Its not the dogs hes aggressive with. He just like that over a dead coon. That's a major problem. If he is not having any issues with other dogs in any other way. You don't have a problem. You just don't let him have a coon or it you want him to have it for a few seconds alone.

A pup like that I would be hunting him by himself. I had a male like. And he never had any issues with other dogs. He just felt that coon was his when it came out the tree.

Midnight Thunder Black & Tans

GRNITECH CH PKC CH ‘PR’ Midnight Thunder Black Steel - (Ch GrNiteCh'PR' Northern Lights Doc x NITECH 'PR' Blues Band Gypsy Woman) - $630.66 PKC

GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Midnight Thunder Final Destiny - (GrNiteCh 'PR' First Class Super Stud x GrNiteCh GrCh 'PR' Midnight Thunder Black Desire) - - PKC $54.00

Up and Coming

Like us on Facebook
Midnight Thunder Black & Tans

Lovis Burns
910-874-4650

Use and Recommend
Bright Eyes Lights
Inukshuk Dog Food

Old Post 10-27-2016 01:29 PM
Lovis Burns is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lovis Burns Click here to Send Lovis Burns a Private Message Click Here to Email Lovis Burns Visit Lovis Burns's homepage! Find more posts by Lovis Burns Add Lovis Burns to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

Just a little update. I put him in the same kennel as my female Tuesday night and made them ride on the same side of the box last night. Yesterday I took some cheese and threw on the ground in there kennel. There was no aggression what so ever. They both would go for it at the same time but if my female got it first my pup would back off a little and look back up to me wondering where his piece was. So Id throw another piece in there and tell my female back so my pup could get it. When I loaded them last night I put my pup in first then my female. When she went in they were touching faces and my pup moved out of the way. Last night at feeding time he walked over to her bowl and kind of growled a little and she let him know real quick not to do that. She ate quicker than him so I walked to the fence by where he was eating and called her over. She was standing right beside him while he was eating and he paid her no attention and kept on eating till he was done.

Old Post 10-27-2016 03:11 PM
turman
UKC Forum Member

I think letting 2 dogs chew on a dead coon is the only problem. Easy fix, don't let him chew on a coon with another dog. I`ve seen dogs with no aggressive traits get possessive of a dead coon.

Old Post 10-27-2016 09:38 PM
turman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for turman Click here to Send turman a Private Message Click Here to Email turman Find more posts by turman Add turman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

I let two chew on a coon anytime I hunt two dogs, sometimes four dogs. I don't have any problem with aggression over a dead coon because I WON"T allow it. It's just to easy to stop, read my earlier post.

Old Post 10-28-2016 04:44 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by turman
I think letting 2 dogs chew on a dead coon is the only problem. Easy fix, don't let him chew on a coon with another dog. I`ve seen dogs with no aggressive traits get possessive of a dead coon.

Exactly right.If you want to allow your pup to have fur ,I suggest two ways.
1.If the coon comes down with fight in it as soon as it is dead get the pup off it immediately.This is when fights will start.
Once it is dead the more they are allowed to wool over it the worst or more possessive they will get.
2.Tie it back and do not allow it to be in on the kill with the other dog.Only give it the fur when you can control the situation.
Watch the way it acts with the coon by it self.
If it attempts to possess the coon when you try to take it away by lying on it,getting lock jaw, or turns from you with it,etc. you are going to have to watch it and handle the situation quickly,
Got to let them know you are the boss .It will get worse if you don't handle it now.

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Old Post 10-28-2016 06:01 AM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CAAN
If you let two dogs chew on a dead coon long enough there will always be growling or fighting.
Why let a dog chew on a dead coon once it is dead and dog grabs it for 10 -15 seconds that's just as good as 10 minutes asking for trouble the longer you let two dogs chew on a coon jmo.

When I hunted with Bone he and my dog stretched one they caught about 50 yards in front of us and went hunting again before we could get there. So not always.
As already suggested the best way to eliminate a problem is to remove the problem. Keep an open eye though first and second coon at 5 months I'd be concerned.

Old Post 10-28-2016 07:34 AM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe Mueller
UKC Forum Member

This problem is not unfixable. Start by using your chain leash if it happens again. Id start feeding him with another dog if he gets snippy give him the boot. If u dont hurt him he wont stop.

Grnitech pr" Crow Creek Hillbilly Hammer
Grnitech pr" Crow Creek Tree Rockin Ruby
Ntch grch pr Crow Creek Hillbilly Harley Jr
Ntch ch pr Crow Creek Hillbilly Blaster
Ntch ch pr Crow Creek Hillbilly Holly

Old Post 10-28-2016 12:29 PM
Joe Mueller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Mueller Click here to Send Joe Mueller a Private Message Click Here to Email Joe Mueller Find more posts by Joe Mueller Add Joe Mueller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. I have been keeping him and my female in the same kennel and riding in the same side of the box with no problems. When I feed them they each go to there bowl and eat with no problems. I might try putting the bowls closer together. When I take anything from him whether it be a toy or the coon I tell him dead and he drops whatever is in his mouth.

Old Post 10-28-2016 03:39 PM