UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Thermal Image to find coon
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dmack8
UKC Forum Member

Thermal Image to find coon

Does this work? I do typically pleasure hunt. Thought about trying this if anyone recommended what really works. I am not sure if it is against the law or not. So don't crucify me on the responses.

Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-24-2016 09:37 PM
dmack8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dmack8 Click here to Send dmack8 a Private Message Click Here to Email dmack8 Find more posts by dmack8 Add dmack8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Atsteel
UKC Forum Member

haven't tried it on coon but it would work there a pretty neat tool.

Old Post 10-25-2016 12:29 AM
Atsteel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Atsteel Click here to Send Atsteel a Private Message Click Here to Email Atsteel Find more posts by Atsteel Add Atsteel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
georgef072007
Banned

FLIR Scout

Available at Cabella's for about $ 600 works really well, but don't buy one unless you want to know the truth about the tree's your dog is making. It will show you really quick if the coon is up there or not. "THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTIZEMENT, THIS PRODUCT NOT FOR USE IN UNITED KENNEL CLUB EVENTS". Sorry, just had to throw that in there, lol.

'PR' OUTBACK TRASHY LULU

CH GRNTCH 'PR' WRECK IT RALPH (Dead Cat X Outback Trashy LuLu) 2017 UKC World Finalist. 2018 UKC World Hunt Qualified.

CH GRNTCH 'PR' CATS TRASHY TOMCAT (Dead Cat X Outback Trashy LuLu) 2016 , 2017 & 2018 UKC World hunt qualified

'PR' Blue Eyed Pete (Watsons Jackal X Hello Kitty)

'PR' Wipeout Harley (Joinertown Wipeout Zeb 3 X Dark Mtn Crankin Holly)

past home of

GRNTCH 'PR' DEAD CAT

NTCH WCH 'PR' DEAD CATS ECHO

Old Post 10-25-2016 12:36 PM
georgef072007 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for georgef072007 Click here to Send georgef072007 a Private Message Find more posts by georgef072007 Add georgef072007 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Night Shift
UKC Forum Member

I used one the other night for the first time I was totally impressed.

Gr Nt Ch Maniac's Dark Side of the Moon

Old Post 10-25-2016 12:43 PM
Night Shift is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Night Shift Click here to Send Night Shift a Private Message Click Here to Email Night Shift Find more posts by Night Shift Add Night Shift to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chilson2522
UKC Forum Member

Thermal Imaging

They would work for this time of year until spring but would not work well or at all during the summer. The heat signature of the tree with all the leaves would hide a coon.

3Rivers Photos To Go
3Rivers Blue Dogs
Windview Hounds

Old Post 10-26-2016 11:46 AM
chilson2522 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chilson2522 Click here to Send chilson2522 a Private Message Click Here to Email chilson2522 Find more posts by chilson2522 Add chilson2522 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

I have found that my cheap Seek Reveal XR model works a whole lot better since the temp have gotten down into the 40's. It finds them now.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 10-26-2016 02:58 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
georgef072007
Banned

The Scout works a lot better with the cool temps as well, but you can still find the coon even with the heat signature of the leaves, You just have to take a little more time and pay attention to the slight differences in color.

'PR' OUTBACK TRASHY LULU

CH GRNTCH 'PR' WRECK IT RALPH (Dead Cat X Outback Trashy LuLu) 2017 UKC World Finalist. 2018 UKC World Hunt Qualified.

CH GRNTCH 'PR' CATS TRASHY TOMCAT (Dead Cat X Outback Trashy LuLu) 2016 , 2017 & 2018 UKC World hunt qualified

'PR' Blue Eyed Pete (Watsons Jackal X Hello Kitty)

'PR' Wipeout Harley (Joinertown Wipeout Zeb 3 X Dark Mtn Crankin Holly)

past home of

GRNTCH 'PR' DEAD CAT

NTCH WCH 'PR' DEAD CATS ECHO

Old Post 10-27-2016 01:46 AM
georgef072007 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for georgef072007 Click here to Send georgef072007 a Private Message Find more posts by georgef072007 Add georgef072007 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmack8
UKC Forum Member

Thanks

I was just curious...any recommendations on the one to purchase? I live down here in Florida so leaves don't fall off the trees until.....well sometimes never. So any advantage I would certainly look into.

Old Post 10-27-2016 09:22 PM
dmack8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dmack8 Click here to Send dmack8 a Private Message Click Here to Email dmack8 Find more posts by dmack8 Add dmack8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris.S
UKC Forum Member

After walking off a tree wondering a couple times this season and then looking back finding a coon looking at me I bit the bullet and got a Flir Scout.

It works! I'm still figuring out the bells and whistles on how to get the most out of it but my guess is that in a couple weeks I won't be wondering if my dog missed or I'm just blind.

The first night out with it there was a coon that i saw walking in and confirmed it with the Flir once I got there. I looked for 7-8 minutes with naked eye before I finally found him. If I hadn't seen it with the Flir no doubt I would have walked off thinking he'd missed it and it was in a tree behind him.

Money well spent, no more guessing. Not even cedar trees will save their butts from correction anymore.

Old Post 12-05-2016 09:11 PM
Chris.S is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris.S Click here to Send Chris.S a Private Message Click Here to Email Chris.S Find more posts by Chris.S Add Chris.S to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Chris.S
After walking off a tree wondering a couple times this season and then looking back finding a coon looking at me I bit the bullet and got a Flir Scout.

It works! I'm still figuring out the bells and whistles on how to get the most out of it but my guess is that in a couple weeks I won't be wondering if my dog missed or I'm just blind.

The first night out with it there was a coon that i saw walking in and confirmed it with the Flir once I got there. I looked for 7-8 minutes with naked eye before I finally found him. If I hadn't seen it with the Flir no doubt I would have walked off thinking he'd missed it and it was in a tree behind him.

Money well spent, no more guessing. Not even cedar trees will save their butts from correction anymore.

What month did you get it in and what were the outside temps? What one do you have? I would love to get one if it worked here in the summer. I would hunt more in the summer too.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 12-06-2016 01:44 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I just tested this scope for a rifle about an hour ago and the right system does work. I mowed this field yesterday.

This one would not be used for coonhunting but would work better for hog. It is a little pricey. I looked at my dogs at about 200 yards tonight in their pens and you sure could seen them.

This unit bluetoohths the screen to your I phone so you can get pictures or video of it.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 12-06-2016 at 02:17 AM

Old Post 12-06-2016 02:10 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Bruce have you tried the Flir yet?

Home Of:

Old Post 12-06-2016 03:50 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blusk25
UKC Forum Member

Has anyone tried this one

http://www.cabelas.com/product/FLIR...br /> CQ_st%3Db

Old Post 12-06-2016 11:42 AM
Blusk25 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blusk25 Click here to Send Blusk25 a Private Message Click Here to Email Blusk25 Find more posts by Blusk25 Add Blusk25 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

About a year ago I got one of the small SEEK REVEAL. Really impressed with what it does around the house but it was summer and I never really found a coon with it that I had not already seen with my light. I was hoping it would show the ones my light could not find. I woke up this morning thinking about this stuff and it is really amazing how some scopes can pick up temperature distances at over 100 yards. I saw a hog hunting show on TV that had the hog plain as day at over 300 yards.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 12-06-2016 at 04:35 PM

Old Post 12-06-2016 11:44 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

Michael

When U have a minute give me a call please. H L

Old Post 12-06-2016 12:34 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris.S
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
What month did you get it in and what were the outside temps? What one do you have? I would love to get one if it worked here in the summer. I would hunt more in the summer too.

Joey,

I got it last week. I've hunted 4 nights with it temps have been in the upper 30s- mid 40s. There is learning curve but once you know what to look for you can tell pretty quick what you're looking at.

The Flir has a color setting called insta-alert that works best for me. But that palette shows larger branches and some leaves of the tree a funky orange color when you tilt the unit up to look at the tree, while the rest of the tree is just white branches. It has something to do with the angle you are looking at thru the view finder and it will take getting using the small viewfinder.

Last night I saw a coon sitting up a ways off while my dog was out working. I walked closer and scanned the tree and sure enough found him. As I kept playing with it I noticed another red speck next to the coon I'd seen, sure enough there was another coon laying deep in a fork that I couldn't see with my naked eye. The Flir caught the heat signature of the second coon. The coons last night were just small specks but they were the ONLY red specks, once i get used to it, it should be real easy to use. In these colder temps a coon will be show a BRIGHT red everything else is either orange or white.

I'm not sure how well it will work when the leaves come on, but the increased summer temps shouldn't matter. According to Flir the scout's temperature sensitivity is +/- .10 celcius, and a coon's body temp is 103 degrees. The biggest issue will be loooking thru all the leaves.

Last edited by Chris.S on 12-06-2016 at 02:15 PM

Old Post 12-06-2016 02:11 PM
Chris.S is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris.S Click here to Send Chris.S a Private Message Click Here to Email Chris.S Find more posts by Chris.S Add Chris.S to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

I have a seek model and I am not impressed. trees retain to much heat down here to be of any real use during warm to hot seasons we have in the south. I may like it better once the temp falls, but right now, I wish I had my money back.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 12-06-2016 02:24 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Johnson
I have a seek model and I am not impressed. trees retain to much heat down here to be of any real use during warm to hot seasons we have in the south. I may like it better once the temp falls, but right now, I wish I had my money back.

X2

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 12-06-2016 02:59 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
j lewis
UKC Forum Member

thermal image

i got a freind that paid 3000 for one on sell and in the summer time it shows the good and the bad you be surprised at all the slick treeing i was amazed at it i learned fast i was packing a treeing fool and he was packing a coon hound if you can handle the truth use one

Old Post 12-11-2016 11:18 PM
j lewis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for j lewis Click here to Send j lewis a Private Message Click Here to Email j lewis Find more posts by j lewis Add j lewis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Topofthehill
UKC Forum Member

J Lewis

What brand and model does he have?
Thanks

Old Post 12-12-2016 01:48 AM
Topofthehill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Topofthehill Click here to Send Topofthehill a Private Message Find more posts by Topofthehill Add Topofthehill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

Do people really use these this time of yr.

Old Post 12-12-2016 02:21 AM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by rob thompson
Do people really use these this time of yr.

We still have green leafs on several trees. Been hunting at white river and still having to use a red light and squaler.

Home Of:

Old Post 12-12-2016 03:42 AM
wesley good
UKC Forum Member

I just got a flir scout tk only had it out a couple of times it's is a neat toy but the heat of the tree and foliage shows I have look at Coon it was like looking at them in day light but there was no leafs have not used it enough to have it dailed in good or figure out how to dail it in really good but my guess is in the summer time or in leafs it might help sometimes but I don't think it's going to be a lot of help I would say if you spend enough money on one they would do the trick

Last edited by wesley good on 12-12-2016 at 06:42 AM

Old Post 12-12-2016 06:36 AM
wesley good is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wesley good Click here to Send wesley good a Private Message Find more posts by wesley good Add wesley good to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JORDAN LINGLE
UKC Forum Member

I just bought the new Leupold but it's the same as everyone else has described. It will find a coon or whatever pretty good as long as it's in the open. Trees heat signature blurs the images a little and makes it harder to find them but I still believe there usually is enough contrast to find them. Just makes it a little more difficult. Summer heat and leaves will be the question. If someone was dead set on wanting one for summer time use you might want to step up to a higher dollar unit. Or talk to somebody that has had one of these mid grade units during the summer already. They are still useful and fun though. I found a squirrel in the very tip top of a tree that my buddies dog treed on last night! LOL. Not sure we would have seen it otherwise and he immediately went into denial mode pointing out a small hole in the tree, I'm not so sure a coon could have got in there but I gave it to him anyway. LOL.

Old Post 12-12-2016 09:15 PM
JORDAN LINGLE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JORDAN LINGLE Click here to Send JORDAN LINGLE a Private Message Click Here to Email JORDAN LINGLE Find more posts by JORDAN LINGLE Add JORDAN LINGLE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

I guess I didn't realize how many folks used these things and for the money they seem useless. It's seems like in the places you would really need one they wouldn't work?

Old Post 12-12-2016 09:27 PM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote