UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coon Hunting. Why?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
fatherof4
UKC Forum Member

Coon Hunting. Why?

I watch these posts about why can't UKC be more like the other KC's and it got me thinking. Why even coon hunt? Personally I like UKC the best but I do hunt the others as well. But I do it for different reasons. For me, it's about the comradery. I enjoy going different places, meeting new people, seeing new dogs and making new friends. I enjoy listening to dogs work and every now and then be WOW'ed buy a nice dog. It's about the hunt for me. I should just be a pleasure hunter but no, I enjoy the everything that goes with it.

Now as for the winning part of it all, If I win then it's a bonus for me. Sure I like to win but that's not what it's all about. Winning doesn't make me feel like a man, being a good man and having good friends makes me feel like a man.

When you get right down to it, it's the same in every KC just different rules. People cheat, people lie, people get their feelings hurt, dogs fight, dogs run off game, dogs tree coons, dogs slick tree, dogs tree opossums, dogs stand under your feet, some dogs are independent, some dogs like to pack, some dogs are first strike dogs, some dogs are first tree dogs and some dogs don't have any business being there. But one thing to consider is this, we are all human and they are all dogs. So as for me, I'll take the bad with the good and enjoy spinning my wheels.

So, why do you do it? Not trying to start a fight here, just sharing some thoughts.

Ch GrNiteCh. Ch. Ramey's Oakwood Woody
PR Ramey's Crockett Rose
NITECH CH PR Hardin-Williams Spider
PR Ramey's Lute

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-23-2016 06:46 PM
fatherof4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fatherof4 Click here to Send fatherof4 a Private Message Click Here to Email fatherof4 Find more posts by fatherof4 Add fatherof4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tony.beals
UKC Forum Member

X200

I don't think I can add a single thing to what you just stated except maybe seeing a young dog turn into a coon hound For me it also kept me in shape while in the service, one of my fellow soldiers asked me how I could stay in shape without doing a military workout. I told him try chasing after coonhounds in the river bottoms for 3 or 4 or even 5 miles a night in coveralls, hip boots, and leading one, two, or if I was crazy enough 3 hounds out of woods 1 mile back in swamp. It's what we enjoy and do, an addiction

MSG, US ARMY RETIRED
President of Michigan State United Coon Hunters Association

Old Post 10-23-2016 07:02 PM
tony.beals is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tony.beals Click here to Send tony.beals a Private Message Click Here to Email tony.beals Find more posts by tony.beals Add tony.beals to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

I mostly agree but I'm not about to downplay the desire to win. And I won't criticize those who are serious about winning, some of the most honest men I've been around in this sport were also some of the toughest to beat because they hunt harder and work harder on their dogs and you seldom hear them excuse their dogs for looking like crap when they do, and they all do at times.
I don't believe for one second that the desire to win takes the fun away.

I think very often, those who are less dedicated feel the field would be more level if nobody put more into it than they do. But that is really just wishing the other dogs were not so much better than theirs.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 10-23-2016 08:13 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Jim Sizemore

You hit the nail on the head. Excellent post. Really good dogs takes lots of boot leather. No short cuts, just hard hunting!. Dave

Old Post 10-23-2016 11:26 PM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

Yup

Old Post 10-23-2016 11:50 PM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

JiM

You hit the nail on the head, just to put my 2c in WINNING whether you are hunting or showing takes the desire to succeed, half ass%$#$ either one and you may not reach your desired goal.
I once heard a fellow tell a customer that his horse he was working every day some tomes twice a day that he did not think his horse would make the grade, the owner told the trainer " well you may not be working him wright" and moved the horse the next day. THAT statement has stuck with me for the rest of my life. Just working something does not mean it will progress the way it should.

Old Post 10-24-2016 01:58 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark Blair
UKC Forum Member

Original post pretty much says it for me. As far as pleasure hunting vs. competition hunting I used to do a lot more comp hunting than I do now. I guess reason being I very seldom finish a pleasure hunt where I haven't enjoyed myself and had several laughs. Just seems like a lot of night hunts people really don't seem to enjoy the hunt as much unless things are going their way. I coonhunt because I love to coonhunt, when I see people look like they are not enjoying themselves on a nite hunt it makes me appreciate the good times even more. I know we all can think of someone that seems mad before the cast even starts, are they like that when they pleasure hunt as well? Do they ever have a "pleasure" hunt? Win, lose, or draw be Happy your able to enjoy what you do!

Last edited by Mark Blair on 10-24-2016 at 02:50 PM

Old Post 10-24-2016 02:38 PM
Mark Blair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Blair Click here to Send Mark Blair a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark Blair Find more posts by Mark Blair Add Mark Blair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JOSH VAUGHN
UKC Forum Member

I hunted the hunts for the competition and making friends. It seems a lot of people think you can't be competitive and and still be liked by the other hunters. It's not that way where i live. If you did it the right way, you didn't have to go sign up and then go sit in your truck until they draw casts. Most of the time i saw the same guys at the local hunts and made friends with most of them. We may butt heads from time to time but it was always left in the woods. There's no hunt worth cheating to win. There's a couple of things I'd like to go back and do over. Not cheating but just some bad calls i made.

Old Post 10-24-2016 03:27 PM
JOSH VAUGHN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JOSH VAUGHN Click here to Send JOSH VAUGHN a Private Message Click Here to Email JOSH VAUGHN Find more posts by JOSH VAUGHN Add JOSH VAUGHN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deschmidt27
UKC Forum Member

Jamie,

Like yourself and many others, I like to hunt because I like the dog work. I also like to deer hunt and hunt other game, but I coon hunt to watch and listen to the dogs.

I have some good dogs, but not great dogs. As Jim pointed out, some of that is because I don't hunt enough to make a great dog, whether they do or don't have it in their genes. So I go to hunts and know that I have a chance to win, but a lot of people hunt good dogs, so a "chance" is all I have. If I draw a great dog, mine doesn't likely stand a chance. If I draw a good dog and mine gets a break that there's didn't, then mine wins. I go in with that expectation, and so I'm less disappointed than some, if/when I lose.

Do I like to hunt? Yes. Do I like to win? Yes. If the stars align, I do both!

Now I have two young boys, and I hunt to give them quality time away from all the media out there. I also do it to give them a hobby that hopefully they'll embrace and make the same wonderful memories I have. I didn't do it at first, but now I take my boys hunting, as opposed to taking them hunting with me. There's a difference!

Old Post 10-24-2016 05:36 PM
deschmidt27 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deschmidt27 Click here to Send deschmidt27 a Private Message Click Here to Email deschmidt27 Find more posts by deschmidt27 Add deschmidt27 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

After last night I'm sure I like it because I'm a glutton for punishment or just plain stupid. I didn't even cuss and say I'm quitting and never going again . I've done that a hundred times but I quit lying to myself. I'm gonna hunt until I'm as old and worn out as Yadkintar and Chewbach . Another 50-60 years should do it.

Old Post 10-24-2016 05:48 PM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

I coon hunt cause there ain't no quail! These dogs gotta have something to do.

Old Post 10-24-2016 08:45 PM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

hunt

I hunt because I love doing it!! if there was never another competition hunt if coon never went over 1$!!!and if there was no KC I would still do what I enjoy doing!! other than my second choice!!! I cant say on here!!lol

Old Post 10-24-2016 09:50 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mark nethery
UKC Forum Member

The Dogs

In seventies my cousin Archie Turner was a coonhunter I did with him and dad. Only thing I really remember doing with Dad was coonhunting and muskrat trapping..and working Lol Now its the Dogs I have had and hunted since 77. Treeing walkers only dogs I ever hunted. Made several ntch and Grnt ch.
Now I do it because I enjoy the Dogs and my time alone with my dogs in woods. I truly love it!

Home off
SUPER STAKES SIRE
UKC DNA Profiled
GrNtCh Vance’s Stylish Cutter (Grch GrNtCh Crows an Grants Cutter x GrNtCh Vance’s Stylish Hope )
At stud.300 negative Brucellosis

Pr Trick Magic Dixie ( GrchGrntch2 Charley Creek Big Mike x Grch GrNtCh Trick Magic Trudy)

PR Git Ryght Ryta. (GrNtCh Kant Git Ryght x GrNtCh Magic Style Dolly )

Pr Stylish Cutter Jr ( GrNtCh Vance’s Stylish Cutter x Pr Trick Magic Dixie sister t Bad Butch )

Semen stored at Peewee valley
Grntch Stylish Hammer is a 2019 UKC preformance sire. DNA profile in UKC and PKC see stud dog page for ad on GrNtch Stylish Hammer 👍🇺🇸

Last edited by mark nethery on 10-26-2016 at 03:47 AM

Old Post 10-26-2016 03:44 AM
mark nethery is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mark nethery Click here to Send mark nethery a Private Message Find more posts by mark nethery Add mark nethery to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Nethery, I find it quite unique just how close you and I followed the same path. Only difference is, I have owned nothing but English, and the same strain of English since 1977. While you love the walkers, I love the English, but at the end of the day we both love the hounds and the work they do.

Now my dad started this line in about 1969 or 1970. That is when he got his first register dog. But I didn't get my own coon hound till 1977, even though I hunted with Dad since about 1962.

I still get the adrenalin pumping when my young dog get treed by it's self LOL.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 10-26-2016 05:08 AM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fatherof4
UKC Forum Member

I agree with the desire to win and the hard work that goes into it. There is a lot to be said for the guy that hunts all week every week to take his or her dog to town. Infact, I say thank you to those dedicated to winning. I have never minded getting beat by the man man that did his homework. Because that man has it easy come hunt night. His dog is tuned, they are on cue and he can sit back and call his dog. As it should be. But more importantly, I just love the hunt.

Ch GrNiteCh. Ch. Ramey's Oakwood Woody
PR Ramey's Crockett Rose
NITECH CH PR Hardin-Williams Spider
PR Ramey's Lute

Old Post 10-26-2016 01:06 PM
fatherof4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fatherof4 Click here to Send fatherof4 a Private Message Click Here to Email fatherof4 Find more posts by fatherof4 Add fatherof4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Father I sure don't want this post to go another direction so I ask everyone to stay on Fatherof4's question.
I will give my opinion on why I do it. I think it is in your GENETICS. I am not looking for any tears as I have overcame anything that might have been my past to get to where I am today. That is at peace with myself and family.
When I was a young man I came from a broken home. My Mother was as good as Gold and she worked her fingers to the bone carving out a life for me and my brother. It was a struggle and I learned from her. Seemed like when the neighbors went off with their parents fishing and hunting all I had is a dog to talk to. I would take that dog and in our small fenced back yard, pretend to be hunting. Not sure we chased anything real but a lot of made up animals thrived in my backyard. After watching Tarzan on TV, I would use my dog for elephant hunting, lion hunting and we chased a few monkeys around, all in that back yard. I remember sitting on the porch at night talking to the dog and telling someday I would drive and we could go to some real woods. Well by the time that happened the dog has passed on. So I would look in the paper every morning trying to find some type of hound to own. I found a hound pup and would take my dog that knew nothing about hunting and I think I knew even less and go to some woods at night. Not sure why I picked the night cause I was scared of the dark, but it felt right with the dog. Anyway I remember the first time it barked at night and treed. Big ole possum and I was hooked. I tried fox hunting but I wanted to be part of the hunt and going to a dog treed made me part of it. I know in the beginning I said GENETICS and many are wondering why I said that. This all took place in the 60's and somewhere in the 90"s I was trying to put together my Family pieces and was talking with an Aunt about my Grandfather. She said that after farming all day all he wanted to do was Coon Hunt. She said none of his Sons coon hunted and they often thought who in the family would take that up.
GENETICS or not Coon Hunting is embedded deep into my soul. Not any visions of being the best, having the best dog or fame and fortune from it. Just being knowledgeable of the sport and those involved in it. When I was a younger man I would travel some and what I wanted out of coon hound conversations was what made the dogs tick. I read about genetics, I studied dogs, listened to people. Thing is I wanted to talk about FACT and not stories about hunts or the campfire type of stories. As I have gotten older I realize those FACTS seem to collide and there are so many different ways to slice the coon hound pie I just try and enjoy all aspects of coon hunting and have leaned to enjoy the campfire stories more. I have respect for all the KC's and the men promoting them. I know most of them and understand that even though my thoughts are slightly different on some things they are working hard to promote something I love and respect. That is coon hunting. Lets touch on what some call the negatives of comp hunts. In life there are good people and there are the others. Everything you do from Business to Sports there are people trying to take advantage of others. Drill down to coon hunting and yes those people are there. Don't put down coon hunting because of them. Don't put down Business because of them. Don't put down what they are associated with, put the person down and recognize them as a cheat, liar, thief or whatever. No more of them in one aspect of life than there is another. Staying home from a coon hunt because you think a cheat is there is just an excuse. Then it turns into a shame if you broadcast that nonsense to others. If the wrong people try to take over any aspect of your life, stand up to them and don't let them win. Unfortunately they are everywhere and unless you want to live under a rock you have to face facts.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 10-26-2016 at 03:07 PM

Old Post 10-26-2016 02:56 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

I'm kinda' on the same track as Bruce but I was brought up in a hound/hunting dog family. As long as I can remember, my Dad and Grandfather always had hunting dogs around either lying on the porch or tied up out back. Rabbit, squirrel and coon dogs were a part of my life growing up. So it was no surprise that I fell right off into it. It's in the blood, so to speak. My introduction into full time coon hunting was in the late 60s when I got my first coon hound and a long ways from being a coon dog, BIG difference between the two. I finally started the hunts (UKC) in the early 70s and was pretty much hooked. I never participated in the other KC's but have no problem with them. If that's your thing then by all means please do it. I have had more good experiences with competition hunts than bad but the bad stick with you for a long time, especially when you know you've been taken and there ain't one thing you can do but suck it up and go home. I still get a little upset over a major hunt I went to and had it all won and got the short end of the stick and out voted but that's the way the ball bounces every now and then. I have the satisfaction of knowing the truth and they have the memory of living with what really happened. But there is nothing like drawing out with some good sportsman and winning or loosing fair and square. I feel that is money well spent and another memory worth recalling. Some on here may recall that earlier this year I gave my only hound away to my best friend and gave up coon hunting for the first time in nearly 50 years. I have given up several things in my life, smoking and drinking and chewing tobacco are three of the most notable and was very difficult to do but until I came home in the evening and drove up my driveway to an empty kennel, I had never experienced a more empty feeling in my whole life. It was down right pitiful. I tried fishing, playing live country music, camping all of what I've always done but in conjunction with my coon hunting. Well, I couldn't stand it and about a month ago after searching a while I bought another coon hound. Nothing special but it feels good to follow a dog in the woods again. Sense then I got a pup yesterday and guess what, I'm happy again! I guess it will be in my blood till the good lord calls me home to live with him and even then I hope he's packing a good hound that we can enjoy. Do it for yourself and not for all the wrong reasons.

Old Post 10-26-2016 08:46 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cliff Thornburg
UKC Forum Member

Great Answers.

As Terry Phillips once said, "Dirt guys like racing on dirt....cuz its dirt." That pretty much sums up my answer too.

Old Post 10-26-2016 09:52 PM
Cliff Thornburg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff Thornburg Click here to Send Cliff Thornburg a Private Message Visit Cliff Thornburg's homepage! Find more posts by Cliff Thornburg Add Cliff Thornburg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Coonhunting has always been an escape for me from anything that was negetive in my life as long as I can remember I just was always fascinated by a hound I was really young and I can remember the sound of a hound trailing in the distance I did not know what they were doing but it excited me. Then one of my great aunties set down and asked me you love that sound don't you? This is were the genetics come in my grandpa was killed in the battle of the bulge I never knew him my auntie told me your grandpa always from the time he was little loved to coonhunt I know you don't understand it kiddo but it's in you strong because of him at 58 yrs old I have never lost my love for it all my bad bones it makes it painfull but when I see kids eyes light up coonhunting you can tell by watching them the ones that will do it for the rest of their life.

Old Post 10-26-2016 10:32 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cranberry
UKC Forum Member

Re: Coon Hunting. Why?

quote:
Originally posted by fatherof4
I watch these posts about why can't UKC be more like the other KC's and it got me thinking. Why even coon hunt? Personally I like UKC the best but I do hunt the others as well. But I do it for different reasons. For me, it's about the comradery. I enjoy going different places, meeting new people, seeing new dogs and making new friends. I enjoy listening to dogs work and every now and then be WOW'ed buy a nice dog. It's about the hunt for me. I should just be a pleasure hunter but no, I enjoy the everything that goes with it.

Now as for the winning part of it all, If I win then it's a bonus for me. Sure I like to win but that's not what it's all about. Winning doesn't make me feel like a man, being a good man and having good friends makes me feel like a man.

When you get right down to it, it's the same in every KC just different rules. People cheat, people lie, people get their feelings hurt, dogs fight, dogs run off game, dogs tree coons, dogs slick tree, dogs tree opossums, dogs stand under your feet, some dogs are independent, some dogs like to pack, some dogs are first strike dogs, some dogs are first tree dogs and some dogs don't have any business being there. But one thing to consider is this, we are all human and they are all dogs. So as for me, I'll take the bad with the good and enjoy spinning my wheels.

So, why do you do it? Not trying to start a fight here, just sharing some thoughts.

Really nice post!

I do it for the above reasons, and to me I've always thought comp coon hunting is the best bang for the buck in the hunting world. I mean seriously, where else or what other sport can you show up and pay $20 and have your own personal hunting guide that takes you out to new ground, with new dogs, meeting new people, for 2 hrs! And if you luck up and win, heck that's just a bonus.

I always said if I could win 1 outa 12 that would keep me coming back! Lol

Sure you might draw a rough dog or rough handler occasionally but you'll run into that kind of stuff anywhere.

Old Post 10-27-2016 01:30 AM
cranberry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cranberry Click here to Send cranberry a Private Message Find more posts by cranberry Add cranberry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

Great post Jamie. I too like to attend a UKC function from time to time for the fellowship and to look at other dogs. I don't participate in the hunts because I breed my dogs to be cold nosed and they are certainly not competition dogs. I think the majority of dog people are conservative, well grounded folks that I can relate.
I guess I am old fashioned but it seems any time we get a lot of money in a contest of any kind, someone is going to do whatever they can to gain an advantage. I am probably one of the few folks on this forum that makes a living hunting so why would I want to put more pressure on myself by making it a competition? I thank God that I can make a living doing what I truly love to do in some very beautiful places.
This is why I hunt and pray that I can do it at least another twenty years.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 10-27-2016 08:59 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote