UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > old subject
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
crooked ridge
UKC Forum Member

old subject

I am sure this has been discussed before. I am interested, especially in the colder climates, what bedding you use for your dogs? I am in WV and it gets cold enough for me, and my dogs. But I realize this isn't a drop in the bucket as to the cold temps up north. I like to keep my animals comfortable. Not in the house with me but what is fairly comfortable to the dogs. The dogs track water in on the bedding and I change it often. I use dry hay, just wondering if there is a better alternative. Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-26-2016 05:22 PM
crooked ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for crooked ridge Click here to Send crooked ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email crooked ridge Find more posts by crooked ridge Add crooked ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

bedding

Always use good straw in cold/damp weather. May use cedar chips in summer. Don't really care for hay, unless it is clean, fine grassy type. Take care, Ron.

Old Post 10-26-2016 05:36 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cooner414
UKC Forum Member

Bedding

I use a good clean marsh hay. It fluffs out well and is very clean. I am particular on where I get my marsh hay and my guy has good clean stuff. Keeps them comfortable in this cold Wisconsin weather. I just make sure i change it often.

Old Post 10-26-2016 05:38 PM
cooner414 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cooner414 Click here to Send cooner414 a Private Message Click Here to Email cooner414 Find more posts by cooner414 Add cooner414 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buckshot1973
UKC Forum Member

Clean grassy hay, as above post mentioned, and change it as needed. It will not break up as quickly as straw and is not as dusty either - boxes smell like fresh hay too.

Old Post 10-26-2016 05:45 PM
Buckshot1973 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Buckshot1973 Click here to Send Buckshot1973 a Private Message Find more posts by Buckshot1973 Add Buckshot1973 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

Cedar chips

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Old Post 10-26-2016 06:36 PM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Straw

Hey partner, I live in WV too and I found something last year that has worked out very well for me. I have been buying that compressed straw at Tractor Supply. I comes in a compressed bail wrapped in plastic and weighs about 50 lbs. It's very clean and soft and fluffs up extremely well. One bail last a very long time. It's about $12 a bail and will last as long as 2-3 bails of regular straw. Good luck.... Ron

Old Post 10-26-2016 07:50 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

I bought a heated pad for r old dog. We keep her dog pen in the barn. If we don't keep Dandy in the house this winter; he'll have lots of hay because we make r own. If we made straw, I'd use it instead.

Old Post 10-26-2016 11:07 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Eric Bierman
UKC Forum Member

Some kind of straw. I prefer oat over barley or wheat. Corn fodder would probably be as good.

Old Post 10-27-2016 02:02 AM
Eric Bierman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Eric Bierman Click here to Send Eric Bierman a Private Message Find more posts by Eric Bierman Add Eric Bierman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
toe cutter
UKC Forum Member

marsh grass / swamp grass

Old Post 10-27-2016 02:53 AM
toe cutter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for toe cutter Click here to Send toe cutter a Private Message Find more posts by toe cutter Add toe cutter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Bedding

I use straw, but more importantly, keep the wind off of them, fed well, well hydrated and in shape. They will be fine.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 10-27-2016 07:08 AM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cashie Swamp
UKC Forum Member

google the insulated dog house made out of 2 pieces of plywood. Ive thought about making a few of them. I use grass hay cause hollow tube straw seems to give my dogs scratches.

252-325-4949
Earl Hoggard

www.cashieswampkennels.webs.com

Born to serve and protect.

COON HUNTIN Its not a hobby its a way of life

Old Post 10-27-2016 05:56 PM
Cashie Swamp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cashie Swamp Click here to Send Cashie Swamp a Private Message Click Here to Email Cashie Swamp Visit Cashie Swamp's homepage! Find more posts by Cashie Swamp Add Cashie Swamp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RatDog
UKC Forum Member

Straw here with a burlap bag or piece of carpeting draped over door opening...never brought one inside...I think that's harder on em

Old Post 10-27-2016 10:50 PM
RatDog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RatDog Click here to Send RatDog a Private Message Find more posts by RatDog Add RatDog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Riverbottom Ron
UKC Forum Member

BEDDING

I USE SUDEX HAY ,ITS A GRADE -A HAY THATS FED MOSTLY TO RACE HORSES ,IT DONT BREAK DOWN AND FLATIN OUT LIKE STRAW I PUT A COUPLE FLAKES OF THAT IN THE DOG BOX THEN A GOOD CLEAN GRASS HAY ON TOP OF IT AFTER LOTS OF USE IT WILL STILL LOOK LIKE A BIG BIRDS NEST ITS GOOD STUFF,I ALSO PUT SOMETHIN OVER THE DOG HOUSE DOOR .

ALWAYS REMEMBER GOD GAVE US FRIENDS AND COONHOUNDS, " I AM A GREATLY BLESSED",HIGHLY FAVORED" " IMPERFECT BUT FORGIVEN CHILD OF GOD "KEEP YOUR {FAITH IN GOD } FAITH SEES THE INVISIBLE,BELIEVES THE INCREDIBLE,AND RECIEVES THE IMPOSSIBLE. WERE BLESSED !!

Old Post 10-27-2016 11:17 PM
Riverbottom Ron is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Riverbottom Ron Click here to Send Riverbottom Ron a Private Message Find more posts by Riverbottom Ron Add Riverbottom Ron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BornAganBeagler
UKC Forum Member

I gather up pine needles off the ground. Its naturally water proof and last a while. Smells good too.

Old Post 10-28-2016 12:49 AM
BornAganBeagler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BornAganBeagler Click here to Send BornAganBeagler a Private Message Click Here to Email BornAganBeagler Find more posts by BornAganBeagler Add BornAganBeagler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by BornAganBeagler
I gather up pine needles off the ground. Its naturally water proof and last a while. Smells good too.

Naturally waterproof ? I pretty much live in the woods and tried to start a fire with pine needles the other day and couldn't because they were waterlogged

Old Post 10-28-2016 01:04 AM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well Started
UKC Forum Member

Straw when it's cold. Orchard grass hay when it's really cold. The orchard grass hay is very dense and intertwined together.....hard to even separate a slab of it, makes for a very good insulation in extreme cold and wind, and it lasts without breaking up like straw.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantage of grass hay is if it gets wet, it's gonna stay wet. Straw will break up and dry out and you're soon adding fresh warm bedding.

Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured… but not everyone must prove they are a citizen. Now add this: Many of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.

Old Post 10-28-2016 01:06 AM
Well Started is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Well Started Click here to Send Well Started a Private Message Find more posts by Well Started Add Well Started to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote