UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > The Coonhunter vs Deer Hunter Thing?
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Matt Mays
UKC Forum Member

Deer hunters aren't the entire problem, coon hunters are also the problem... Try finding 10 coon hunters to work together and share hunting a hunting lease ... I would love to get a lease on some prime property but there's only two or three coonhunters I would trust to not massacre the coon population... Around here it goes like this, you find some good hunting and have it a couple years till somebody else takes notice and gets permission also or joins the club and goes to killing everything cause coonhunters in general are ignorant idiots

Last edited by Matt Mays on 10-05-2016 at 01:40 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-04-2016 09:45 PM
Matt Mays is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Matt Mays Click here to Send Matt Mays a Private Message Click Here to Email Matt Mays Find more posts by Matt Mays Add Matt Mays to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Matt Mays
UKC Forum Member

Also forgot to mention they'll slay all your coons off feeders cause boy he done a good job on that one... I hate the general mindset deer hunters have on dogs but at least they've figured a way to hunt together and at the same time grow bigger deer and manage the deer herd whereas a coonhunters mindset of management is kill all the coons on one property then gather up all your feeders and move to the next one... If we keep relying on deer hunters to give us hunting rights then we'll have nothing to hunt before long, it's going to take coon hunters securing these leases and running the club so deer hunters can't dictate our hunting...

Last edited by Matt Mays on 10-05-2016 at 01:47 PM

Old Post 10-04-2016 10:31 PM
Matt Mays is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Matt Mays Click here to Send Matt Mays a Private Message Click Here to Email Matt Mays Find more posts by Matt Mays Add Matt Mays to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

It really bothers em. I've tried and tried and talked till I'm blue in the face and they want listen. No private land left here besides deer clubs. Some will let you in as long as you don't hunt during deer season. Some hear the word Hound and say no dog allowed.. It's just not practical to lease a club for coon only here either. 1000 ac would cost 15000 to lease. That'd be 15 coon hunters at 1k each. That's 13 to many and I'd never find 15 to pay. Although I'd try it.

Old Post 10-04-2016 11:14 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Melblank
UKC Forum Member

There are a couple of masters thesis papers on the subject of coon hunting interfering with deer patterns. One was from a kid at university of Purdue and I think the other was from Iowa. They proved conclusively that coon hunting has no effect on deer. That being said you can't convince some people.

Old Post 10-04-2016 11:21 PM
Melblank is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Melblank Click here to Send Melblank a Private Message Find more posts by Melblank Add Melblank to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well Started
UKC Forum Member

Lets be honest. Although I believe Bruce is a wise, honest, and experienced person, his original question has an unintended falsehood about it.

It really has nothing to do with coon hunter vs deer hunter. Or the dog thing. It only has to do with deer hunting.

Try gaining permission to stomp around in somebody's favorite deer hunting grounds to hunt grouse, with or without a dog.

Try gaining permission to jump shoot rabbits without a dog in a thick grow'd up "sanctuary" for deer.

Woodcocks, squirrel hunting, pick one. I guess we can take some comfort in that's it's nothing personal, but it doesn't help much in my detest of modern deer hunting mentality. Lol.

Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured… but not everyone must prove they are a citizen. Now add this: Many of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.

Old Post 10-05-2016 12:31 AM
Well Started is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Well Started Click here to Send Well Started a Private Message Find more posts by Well Started Add Well Started to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr taylor
UKC Forum Member

It is just like i said in my first reply, People are not going to get along period no matter who it is and what they are hunting or if they are hunting, I know where some river bottom land is that is close to three mile stretch where a fishing club has a lease on and they would she you dead before they would let you walk a cross it, I bet you if a group of coon hunters had a lease they would not let anyone other than their group deer hunt there either, I don't think Mr Conkey had a embedded code in what he was asking although he did give everyone something to think about and that is if all hunters don't start trying to get along better they better hope they own a lot of land or enjoy hunting forest game land and small pockets because that is all that is going to be left and they are leasing some forest and state land to deer hunters in some states and some of the small pockets are going as well, Matt Mays two replies hit home also because i have seen first hand what he said about some coon hunters .

Old Post 10-05-2016 02:28 AM
mr taylor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr taylor Click here to Send mr taylor a Private Message Find more posts by mr taylor Add mr taylor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well Started
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by mr taylor
It is just like i said in my first reply, People are not going to get along period no matter who it is and what they are hunting or if they are hunting, I know where some river bottom land is that is close to three mile stretch where a fishing club has a lease on and they would she you dead before they would let you walk a cross it, I bet you if a group of coon hunters had a lease they would not let anyone other than their group deer hunt there either, I don't think Mr Conkey had a embedded code in what he was asking although he did give everyone something to think about and that is if all hunters don't start trying to get along better they better hope they own a lot of land or enjoy hunting forest game land and small pockets because that is all that is going to be left and they are leasing some forest and state land to deer hunters in some states and some of the small pockets are going as well, Matt Mays two replies hit home also because i have seen first hand what he said about some coon hunters .

Hate to tell ya this, but we're already there with your land statement. For the most part sportsmen have no problem getting along. I can rabbit hunt without "messing up" somebody's squirrel hunting, and vice versa. Neither side would give it a second thought. I can squirrel hunt without "messing up" somebody's grouse hunting. Neither side would give it a second thought. I can grouse hunt without "messing up" anybody's coon hunting. I will stop, but the combinations of examples could go on.

Only 1 type of hunting is "messed up" in today's world by any and all of the other types of recreation one chooses to do. At least in the minds of a lot of those doing that 1 type. Consequentially most other types of recreation has been severely diminished. Most everybody I know around here is a hunter at heart. Growing up there was a beagle or 2 in nearly every yard. Couldn't even tell ya who owns 1 around here now. Still plenty of land, plenty of rabbits, no where left to hunt routinely. Deer hunting and its protection is KING.

Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured… but not everyone must prove they are a citizen. Now add this: Many of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.

Old Post 10-05-2016 03:43 AM
Well Started is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Well Started Click here to Send Well Started a Private Message Find more posts by Well Started Add Well Started to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whats up
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Mays
Also forgot to mention they'll slay all your coons off feeders cause boy he done a good job on that one... I hate the general mindset deer hunters have on dogs but at least they've figured a way to hunt together and at the same time grow bigger deer and manage the deer herd whereas a coonhunters mindset of management is kill all the coons on one property then gather up all your feeders and move to the next one... If we keep relying on deer hunters to give us hunting rights then we'll have nothing to hunt before long, it's going to take coon hunters securing these leases and running the club so deer hunters can't dictate our hunting...
you said a mouth full there.

Old Post 10-05-2016 02:11 PM
whats up is offline Click Here to See the Profile for whats up Click here to Send whats up a Private Message Click Here to Email whats up Find more posts by whats up Add whats up to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

Everyone please don't move to Arkansas. We have more than enough public land for everyone and most coonhunters are all about conserving coons ,hides are just about worthless and I hope they stay that way. I have no problem with a real hunter after deer. My problem is with the city slicker that hunts 2 weekends a year and will kill your dog or haul it 20 miles and remove its collar because it was within a mile of their deer stand . Happens every year around here and im sure everywhere else. You can't learn to be a hunter watching TV but that's the training the majority of "deer hunters " have.

Old Post 10-05-2016 02:34 PM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris.S
UKC Forum Member

It's terribile this time of year in So. Ohio. We don't have large tracts of land like some parts of the country. MANY times your dog ends up off the grd where you started and being close to large cities we get a bunch of what I call shake and bake deer hunters. Who think that deer belongs to them and if anyone sets foot on the ground the neighbor will kill it.

Just last night my dog went WAY to far and ended up treed 1mi away. I drove around and she's behing a house, I walk up knock and he answers and says no problem. After I get her he's still standing outside and I think to myself here we go.

He tells me he deer hunts and I tell him I bowhunt mysefl. I already knew he bowhunted as he had a target in his yard. Sure enough he ask where I turned loose and I tell him. Then he says that side of the road is still on this farm I answer YEP sure is... Me knowing that the landowners on his side are different than the other side. I tell him sorry for the bother and if he ever hears one treed its probably me and I'll em get ASAP and go about my business.

Anymore I have little tolerance for guys that want to chew my butt for getting treed around em. I'll apoligize 1 or 2 times but after that the I'm sorries done with. Call the law if you wanna but I'm only going to be called MF or AH so many times.

Old Post 10-05-2016 07:38 PM
Chris.S is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris.S Click here to Send Chris.S a Private Message Click Here to Email Chris.S Find more posts by Chris.S Add Chris.S to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

Been dealing with deer dogs the last 4 nights in a row. Following me booger barking and bumping junk every 100 yards. These dogs (the same I've been seeing about 20) will be running loose and starving until after season. One kept coming to a dog I'm hunting for Roy Ross and trying to start a fight last night. After the 3rd time at a tree I removed him from the gene pool . What kind of person would allow a dog to stay in the woods 4 nights without feeding it or taking care of it ? I hate deer season and the wanna bee's that are not sportsmen. Praying for deer plague !!!

Old Post 10-27-2016 01:54 AM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote