UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Curs and Feists > Michigan squirrel hunts with West Siberian Laika.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Losech
UKC Forum Member

Michigan squirrel hunts with West Siberian Laika.

Haven't posted here in a while so I figured I'd make one. I have been doing a lot of squirrel hunting with my West Siberian Laika lately and though y'all might like to see some pictures and video. I hunt on some fairly high pressured public land (that a lot of people also walk their pet dogs on) so we've been averaging 3-4 squirrels each hunt with a few singles or doubles and a couple 5 squirrel limited out days. We've been taking a mix of fox and grey squirrels, and even found a black one. I have a lot of fun hunting with Flint. He'll also hunt raccoon.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-23-2018 06:23 AM
Losech is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Losech Click here to Send Losech a Private Message Visit Losech's homepage! Find more posts by Losech Add Losech to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Losech
UKC Forum Member

Here's a few more.

Old Post 01-23-2018 06:25 AM
Losech is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Losech Click here to Send Losech a Private Message Visit Losech's homepage! Find more posts by Losech Add Losech to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Losech
UKC Forum Member

And some video.

https://youtu.be/P0pVkhhKPbo

https://youtu.be/I7J7D32YoFY

https://youtu.be/PVdEZbhGdI0

Old Post 01-23-2018 06:30 AM
Randy Wolfe
UKC Forum Member

Nice Hunt!!!!

Enjoyed Video, & Watching Flint Do His Job!!!! Thanks R Wolfe

Old Post 01-28-2018 07:20 PM
Randy Wolfe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Wolfe Click here to Send Randy Wolfe a Private Message Click Here to Email Randy Wolfe Find more posts by Randy Wolfe Add Randy Wolfe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jred
UKC Forum Member

Michigan

Where are you in Mi?

Old Post 02-04-2018 10:58 PM
jred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jred Click here to Send jred a Private Message Visit jred's homepage! Find more posts by jred Add jred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Losech
UKC Forum Member

Up until now, about 20 minutes south of the city of Flint. But I'm moving out north of Grand Rapids this week.

Old Post 02-05-2018 03:45 AM
Michael Walter
New UKC Forum Member

Beautiful dog!

Old Post 03-01-2018 11:57 PM
Michael Walter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Michael Walter Click here to Send Michael Walter a Private Message Click Here to Email Michael Walter Find more posts by Michael Walter Add Michael Walter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bkherbert
UKC Forum Member

Great hunts

Good looking dog and certainly knows his business.
Great pictures too.

Old Post 04-23-2021 03:51 AM
bkherbert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bkherbert Click here to Send bkherbert a Private Message Click Here to Email bkherbert Find more posts by bkherbert Add bkherbert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Davidestep9024
UKC Forum Member

Nice looking outfit buddy! I’m in Virginia and have a couple laikas myself. I absolutely love this breed, they ain’t for everyone but they certainly are for me!!

Old Post 04-25-2021 06:31 AM
Davidestep9024 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Davidestep9024 Click here to Send Davidestep9024 a Private Message Click Here to Email Davidestep9024 Find more posts by Davidestep9024 Add Davidestep9024 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ProudOkie
New UKC Forum Member

Re: Michigan squirrel hunts with West Siberian Laika.

Man this dog is cool looking. I have found this breed super interesting. How much do those run and how hard was it to train? Any issues around children or other dogs?

Old Post 08-04-2021 04:11 PM
ProudOkie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ProudOkie Click here to Send ProudOkie a Private Message Click Here to Email ProudOkie Find more posts by ProudOkie Add ProudOkie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bkherbert
UKC Forum Member

Laika Training

Very easy to train these dogs. Get a puppy and start taking it to the woods to explore and encounter game. Praise the pup when it barks when it trees a squirrel. Start on raccoon later after the dog is solid on squirrel.
You should also train for basic obedience, sit, stay, come, walking on the leash etc.
Socialize from an early age for children, strangers, and other dogs.
As with many dogs, they are protective of food etc.
This breed is very good hunting alone. Accurate and determined. A pack of dogs is not needed. They hunt silently until the game is located and treed.
DO NOT shoot game to the dog if it does not bark on tree.
Price $350 males, $450 females. No pups until next year in May.
Good luck.

Old Post 08-06-2021 12:27 PM
bkherbert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bkherbert Click here to Send bkherbert a Private Message Click Here to Email bkherbert Find more posts by bkherbert Add bkherbert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote