UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Curs and Feists > Good squirrel dog?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ruger
UKC Forum Member

Good squirrel dog?

Buddy of mine wants to get into squirrel hunting and is wondering good breeds to choose from what are yalls favorote breeds that are good squirrel dogs

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-15-2017 01:11 AM
Ruger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ruger Click here to Send Ruger a Private Message Find more posts by Ruger Add Ruger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jred
UKC Forum Member

I have a mtn. Cur that's good.
I have had a rat terrier that was good.
I know people that use treeing curs and another with a Cajun Squirrel dog. I have had pitbulls that we're absolutely nuts over Squirrels....
My next dog will probably be a Feist.

Old Post 04-25-2017 06:00 PM
jred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jred Click here to Send jred a Private Message Visit jred's homepage! Find more posts by jred Add jred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Luther's Fiest
UKC Forum Member

Feist

Hunt em hard, cull em harder

Old Post 04-27-2017 07:32 PM
Luther's Fiest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Luther's Fiest Click here to Send Luther's Fiest a Private Message Click Here to Email Luther's Fiest Find more posts by Luther's Fiest Add Luther's Fiest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Depends on what he expects from the dog. I switched from coon hunting hounds awhile back. Maybe I wasn't exposed to the right ones, but I looked at feists, even tried one. Just weren't my cup of tea and were never gonna suit my expectations for mouth, hunt, and tree power. But that's because I was still (and probably always will) evaluating them with hound standards. That's why I ultimately ended up with curs. More hunt, more tree, plenty handle and sense.

Old Post 04-29-2017 10:00 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
McSquizzie
UKC Forum Member

There are hard hunting hard treeing feists out there, just gotta get lucky and find the right ones. Just like there are close hunting, sorry mouthed weak treedogs in the cur family. If you want to exclusively squirrel hunt the right feist is as good as any.

Old Post 04-30-2017 07:35 PM
McSquizzie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for McSquizzie Click here to Send McSquizzie a Private Message Find more posts by McSquizzie Add McSquizzie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Luther's Fiest
UKC Forum Member

My feist are hard hunting and hard treeing dogs. The make has a very good barn and will stay treed till game is shout out he is called off. Plenty of hunt grit and tree power. Like McSquizze said there are good ones and bad ones in both.

Best thing your friend should do is find somebody to hunt with that owns feist and another who owns curs and see which fits his style off hunting

Hunt em hard, cull em harder

Old Post 04-30-2017 08:26 PM
Luther's Fiest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Luther's Fiest Click here to Send Luther's Fiest a Private Message Click Here to Email Luther's Fiest Find more posts by Luther's Fiest Add Luther's Fiest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jred
UKC Forum Member

What do you guys think of this...?
When trying to describe these breeds to people I usually say a Feist is like an 80% terrier 20% hound.
I say a mountain cur is like an 80% hound 20% terrier.
A treeing cur is what you put in to it....( English + cur = 90% hound ,10% terrier or whatever). There are curs that are more houndy and feists that are more Spitz like....

Old Post 04-30-2017 11:40 PM
jred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jred Click here to Send jred a Private Message Visit jred's homepage! Find more posts by jred Add jred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Littletown
UKC Forum Member

I am following this post with interest, so I hope more people will comment.

I am also trying to decide which dog to get: Treeing Cur or Treeing Feist.

I have been told by several folks that they are basically "the same breed". But the UKC has 2 different Breed Standards listed: one for Treeing Curs (listed as Scenthounds), and one for Treeing Feists (listed as Terriers).

At this point, I am just trying to learn all I can about both breeds, though I am leaning towards the Treeing Feists...

Please feel free to offer any advice & information about these breeds, for those of us who are "in the early stages"...

Thank you.

Old Post 05-05-2017 09:59 PM
Littletown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Littletown Click here to Send Littletown a Private Message Click Here to Email Littletown Find more posts by Littletown Add Littletown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nccatfisher
UKC Forum Member

There is a BIG difference in a TRUE treeing cur and a TRUE treeing feist.

https://sites.google.com/site/riverroadkennel/

Old Post 05-06-2017 01:42 AM
nccatfisher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nccatfisher Click here to Send nccatfisher a Private Message Click Here to Email nccatfisher Visit nccatfisher's homepage! Find more posts by nccatfisher Add nccatfisher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Littletown
UKC Forum Member

nccatfisher, will you please help to educate us new prospective Cur and / or Feist purchasers as to the difference between a true treeing cur and a true treeing feist ? It would be very helpful of you !!

Old Post 05-07-2017 06:26 PM
Littletown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Littletown Click here to Send Littletown a Private Message Click Here to Email Littletown Find more posts by Littletown Add Littletown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nccatfisher
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Littletown
nccatfisher, will you please help to educate us new prospective Cur and / or Feist purchasers as to the difference between a true treeing cur and a true treeing feist ? It would be very helpful of you !!
A true treeing cur most times will be a cur/hound mix, or a mix of cur and something that is of treestock most times. The exception is there has been many cur border collie crosses that has been very good treedogs both day and night. You notice I didn't give the %s of each in the blend. But the end result is most time you get a 45#+ dog.

That isn't to say you won't occasionally get a small treeing cur, just like you won't get a small full cur or hound but as a general rule your going to get the size I said, especially for breeders that have bred lines for years. Of course first time crosses your liable to get anything if you don't know the background of the dogs your breeding.

Treeing feist as a general rule you are talking about a 30# or less dog with little to no hound and and the same amount of cur up close in their lineage. Thus the reason I say there is a big difference in TRUE dogs of each breed. That isn't to say both doesn't have some of all in them they do. In fact SOME of the dogs in the "pure" bred registries have some of that same blood in them also. And as a matter of fact it keeps getting added regularly.

https://sites.google.com/site/riverroadkennel/

Old Post 05-09-2017 02:38 AM
nccatfisher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nccatfisher Click here to Send nccatfisher a Private Message Click Here to Email nccatfisher Visit nccatfisher's homepage! Find more posts by nccatfisher Add nccatfisher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Littletown
UKC Forum Member

nccatfisher, I really appreciate your information & explanation. It was very helpful - Thank You.

Deb

Old Post 05-09-2017 03:11 AM
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

Good Squirrel dogs

This may not be true of all but in the ones iv hunted with it is. If you are an all day type hunter like me you might not care for the smaller dogs. they seem to tier out quicker up in the day , that's just in the ones iv seen ! they all will get tired but some quicker than others if they hunt hard.

Ray Hudson

Old Post 06-10-2017 04:38 PM
Ray&Luie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray&Luie Click here to Send Ray&Luie a Private Message Find more posts by Ray&Luie Add Ray&Luie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kfleming
UKC Forum Member

Laika

West Siberian Laikas or Finnish spitz is probably the best way to go. Alot of fiest and curs just don't make it. Never had a spitz or laika that wasn't at least a decent squirrel dog, most were very nice. If I only wanted to buy one dog it would be a laika or spitz.

Old Post 06-14-2017 06:19 PM
kfleming is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kfleming Click here to Send kfleming a Private Message Click Here to Email kfleming Find more posts by kfleming Add kfleming to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
McSquizzie
UKC Forum Member

I see Laikas at a year to eighteen months for sale regularly at puppy price. The same problems every time. Won't hunt with other dogs and will not tree. Do your research. There is a reason not many hunt them. And it's not the hair.

Last edited by McSquizzie on 06-16-2017 at 10:01 PM

Old Post 06-15-2017 05:02 AM
McSquizzie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for McSquizzie Click here to Send McSquizzie a Private Message Find more posts by McSquizzie Add McSquizzie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
crooked ridge
UKC Forum Member

Maybe I just got a bad one. I had a registered Finnish Spitz, he was the hardest headed dog I have ever had bar none. He didn't miss anything with his eyes, nothing. He would see deer one the other hillside. He would go hunting and you might see him come by you an hour later. You would catch him when he was ready to be caught. And yes I had a e-collar on him. I may have had just a bad one but for me if it was watered down with something else it might be a good breed. jmho

Old Post 06-15-2017 07:00 PM
crooked ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for crooked ridge Click here to Send crooked ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email crooked ridge Find more posts by crooked ridge Add crooked ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by McSquizzie
I see Laikas at a year to eighteen months for sale regularly at puppy price. The same problems every time. Won't hunt with other dogs and will not tree. Do your research. There is a reason not many hunt them. And it's not the hair.
Lol, nothing more curious ars than a cur.most curs got hound in them. Have had people to ask about breeding their cur to my laika to get pups to tree like her. There are good ones in all breeds including walkers. A good laika will dismantle a good cur or a good walker,or any type tree dog. They are kinda like secretariat was to thoroughbreds.they will annihilate the quarry if you don't refrain from shooting,lol.and on a hunt about 3 to 1 ratio, and can get higher.

Old Post 08-12-2017 10:43 PM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
knockemstiffeng
UKC Forum Member

Norwegian Elkhound

Not much training with an Elk Hound just take them to the woods. Natural tree dogs, medium size, they use all their senses, most accurate, more endurance, squirrel hunt most of the day then coon hunt at night. hard to beat a good Elk Hound! JMO

Old Post 08-13-2017 12:50 AM
knockemstiffeng is offline Click Here to See the Profile for knockemstiffeng Click here to Send knockemstiffeng a Private Message Click Here to Email knockemstiffeng Find more posts by knockemstiffeng Add knockemstiffeng to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
crooked ridge
UKC Forum Member

Ruger, dogs are like automobiles, good ones and bad ones in all models and makes. Looks like your friend will just have to choose what breed of dog he likes the looks of. Then ask around and find and honest and reputable breeder. Best of luck to him whatever his choice.

Old Post 08-13-2017 01:08 AM
crooked ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for crooked ridge Click here to Send crooked ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email crooked ridge Find more posts by crooked ridge Add crooked ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bk1977
UKC Forum Member

Foundation

At this point your friend doesn't have the tools to really know what he needs. As a general rule people try to steer you in the direction of their preference. There are great ones in all the breeds. I would advise him to buy a finished dog, or nearly finished dog. This way he can sort through all our wisdom at his leisure(lol), already having a dog doing it. If he will pay attention, the dog will be his best teacher. Once he and the dog form a foundation of knowledge, he can then start to decide what he personally really likes. As he hunts with other dogs, things will begin to really click, seeing and better understanding the different traits and types of the breeds and crosses. If hes like some of us, what he wants, and likes, will change a few times. Start with a good dog 750-1500 dollars. Hunt with it before you buy it. Pride, competitiveness, and egos aside, you can buy one cheaper than you can raise one. Im talking about a solid squirrel dog. Don't worry much about color, breed, and what we think is best. Tell him to buy a squirrel dog. Best of luck.

Old Post 09-07-2017 05:40 AM
bk1977 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bk1977 Click here to Send bk1977 a Private Message Click Here to Email bk1977 Find more posts by bk1977 Add bk1977 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TREE 'EM
UKC Forum Member

Forget what people tell you about their dogs, go hunt with as many as you can and decide what you like.
Tons of phonies and frauds on here trying to sell dogs so you really need to see for yourself who's legit.
If someone's trying to sell you a puppy or a dog and can't or won't take you hunting, forget them and move on.

Treeing Ours and treeing Feist are catchall categorys of crossbred dog is not true breeds. People make crossbred crosses all the time with expectations that they're going to get the best of both but nature doesn't always work that way.

I hunt Blackmouth Curs and have enjoyed tremendous success with them over the years. The gene pool for good quality Treeing Blackmouth Curs is really small though.
Over the years I've owned a couple of good mountain curs and treeing curs too.

Old Post 09-09-2017 12:58 AM
TREE 'EM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TREE 'EM Click here to Send TREE 'EM a Private Message Click Here to Email TREE 'EM Visit TREE 'EM's homepage! Find more posts by TREE 'EM Add TREE 'EM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joseph L.
UKC Forum Member

Re: Norwegian Elkhound

quote:
Originally posted by knockemstiffeng
Not much training with an Elk Hound just take them to the woods. Natural tree dogs, medium size, they use all their senses, most accurate, more endurance, squirrel hunt most of the day then coon hunt at night. hard to beat a good Elk Hound! JMO

This is a old post but if you see this I'd be really interested in a high end female if you know where one could be bought

Joe Levan 937-407-7498

Old Post 03-26-2021 09:33 PM
Joseph L. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph L. Click here to Send Joseph L. a Private Message Click Here to Email Joseph L. Find more posts by Joseph L. Add Joseph L. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DryForkSkeeter
New UKC Forum Member

Good squirrel dog

I would get a cur if he intends to coon hunt as well.

Old Post 03-27-2021 08:45 PM
DryForkSkeeter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DryForkSkeeter Click here to Send DryForkSkeeter a Private Message Click Here to Email DryForkSkeeter Find more posts by DryForkSkeeter Add DryForkSkeeter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bkherbert
UKC Forum Member

West Siberian Laika

I would give the WSL a good look. I had never squirrel hunted with a dog, and my first was a WSL. This breed takes to the woods, and starts searching and comes back to check in. They are accurate, reliable and very smart. One thing that you must not do is shoot a squirrel before the dog starts barking tree. Even if you know the dog sees the squirrel.
I'm not sure what the gentleman was talking about when he said the Laika don't bark on tree. Doesn't make sense.
Best of luck.

Old Post 05-16-2021 12:30 AM
bkherbert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bkherbert Click here to Send bkherbert a Private Message Click Here to Email bkherbert Find more posts by bkherbert Add bkherbert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bkherbert
UKC Forum Member

BK1977 & Tree'Em Good Advice

Both gentlemen gave very good advice. Go out and hunt with several different dogs to see what you like. Try to find a squirrel dog hunting club and go on some hunts.
Good luck.

Old Post 05-16-2021 12:51 AM
bkherbert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bkherbert Click here to Send bkherbert a Private Message Click Here to Email bkherbert Find more posts by bkherbert Add bkherbert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote