UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Ahhhhhhh...going insane!
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
EnglishBabe
UKC Forum Member

Ahhhhhhh...going insane!

Autumn is scared to death of thunder. She hears it long before we ever do. I've had her climb out of the chain link kennel and hide under the house and the shed. She dug a hole to hide in under her dog box and the latest thing she did was jump out of the whelping box, dumping her food and water all over the place and abandoned her pups to hide under my bed. This just happened with in the last hour and a half. It was thundering when I took my daughter to her babysitting job this evening and never gave it a second thought on Autumn, since she was in the house where she likes to be in a storm.

I came home and walked into my bedroom to use the computer and found her with her head and front shoulders under the bed and the rest of her sticking out. She has been afraid of fireworks and thunder ever since she was a year old and got lost one afternoon while I was picking raspberries. It took us the rest of the afternoon and evening to find her. She was in a field that was surrounded by electric fence and tall weeds. The fireworks were in full swing and I think everytime she tried to get out of the field, she got shocked.

Anyway, please someone help me figure out what to do. She is driving me nuts with the thunder thing. She doesn't mind gun shots, in fact she will come running if you shoot the gun at night. Any ideas.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-26-2009 11:58 PM
EnglishBabe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EnglishBabe Click here to Send EnglishBabe a Private Message Click Here to Email EnglishBabe Find more posts by EnglishBabe Add EnglishBabe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrandonZadina
UKC Forum Member

Find a cassette tape or CD of thunder and lightning and play it for her 24 hours a day. Don't know if it will work but it does work on horses before we haul them to a big show.

Old Post 06-27-2009 03:54 AM
BrandonZadina is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BrandonZadina Click here to Send BrandonZadina a Private Message Click Here to Email BrandonZadina Find more posts by BrandonZadina Add BrandonZadina to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mpondr310
UKC Forum Member

Try Rescue Remedy. A few drops in the mouth and maybe a few on the dogs ears. I'm not a herbal fanatic at all but this saved me a lot of hair pulling with a black and tan that was terrified of thunder.

I think its about 18 a bottle but it last well over a year. Foster and smith stocks this product, along with many others.

Old Post 06-27-2009 04:52 AM
mpondr310 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mpondr310 Click here to Send mpondr310 a Private Message Click Here to Email mpondr310 Find more posts by mpondr310 Add mpondr310 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lightning1
UKC Forum Member

I'm afraid you may need to live with it. I have one that is a barometer. An hour before it rains she will be setting beside my chair shaking. If I'm going hunting she will snap out of it and be ready to go in a lightning storm. Other wise they are scared to death.

Old Post 06-27-2009 05:11 AM
lightning1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lightning1 Click here to Send lightning1 a Private Message Click Here to Email lightning1 Find more posts by lightning1 Add lightning1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Plottluvr
UKC Forum Member

Rescue Remedy works real good.

My 3 yr old Plott is afraid of thunder and fireworks. I use it this time of year on her and she doesnt' try to crawl under my skin anymore.

Old Post 06-27-2009 05:37 AM
Plottluvr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Plottluvr Click here to Send Plottluvr a Private Message Click Here to Email Plottluvr Find more posts by Plottluvr Add Plottluvr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
capt_agricultur
UKC Forum Member

Babe

go to you Vet & get tranqulazers they work...had one that you c ouldnt trim her nails ... nothing bothered her after it kicked in....

Old Post 06-27-2009 01:48 PM
capt_agricultur is offline Click Here to See the Profile for capt_agricultur Click here to Send capt_agricultur a Private Message Click Here to Email capt_agricultur Find more posts by capt_agricultur Add capt_agricultur to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CGATEWD
UKC Forum Member

BETTER

SOUNDS LIKE BETTER LIVING THROUGH MODERN CHEMISTRY.

HOME OF DNA-P GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS DOG NAMED HORSE, DNA-P GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS BIG CREEK BLUE CORKY, DNA-P GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS BIG CREEK BLUE SARGE, DNA-P GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS BLUE DOG TIMBER JACK, GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS BIG CREEK BLU SHADOW, GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS ATCHAFALAYA MAGGIE, CH "PR" GATEWOODS BIG CREEK BLU RANGER, GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS BIG CREEK BL DEE DEE, GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS NORTHERN OUTLAW LADY, GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS BIG CREEK MS DAISY, AND "PR" GATEWOODS MIDNIGHT BLUE SHADOW.
PASSED BUT NOT FORGOTTEN "PR" GATEWOODS BIG CREEK BLUE SMOKE, "PR" KITZMILLERS BLUE DOLLY, & "PR" GATEWOODS BIG CREEK OLE RATLR, AND OUR AIRWALKER (KILL DOG) "KATIE"

http://www.myspace.com/bigcreekblueticks

Old Post 06-27-2009 02:25 PM
CGATEWD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CGATEWD Click here to Send CGATEWD a Private Message Click Here to Email CGATEWD Visit CGATEWD's homepage! Find more posts by CGATEWD Add CGATEWD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Randy Tallon
UKC Forum Member

Yea, nothing like a kid with a ritalin stare..... Try the CD. I would start with it low, but, loud enough to hear. I would play it continually at a level the the dog isn't showing anxiety. I would gradually increase the level unless the dog starts showing anxiety. Might take some time, but it's like gunfire. Graduall exposure. Unless they are totally gunshy (not gun green) you should get the dog to the point where it is not as bad or not affected at all.

USAF proud!!! 6 Years active 19 Reserves MSgt (ret) Raven 457
Carpe Nocturnum-Seize the night!

Old Post 06-27-2009 03:04 PM
Randy Tallon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Tallon Click here to Send Randy Tallon a Private Message Click Here to Email Randy Tallon Find more posts by Randy Tallon Add Randy Tallon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote