UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > how to stop a dogs ear from bleeding
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bluedogman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JMollett
Thanks for the kind words. I try and help everyone out I can.
As you all may know, I'm writing down the names of the one's that is smarter than me, such as bluedogman and Bcoleman, etc.
One of my professor's told me, "You can't help everyone even if you try, they will always know better than you".
I didn't believe him until I got into the profession myself. Now I believe every word he says.
Thansk Ky Hound, Cleo, and hillbilly56 for your kind words. If you ever need anything just let me know, I will do my best to help out.
No I'm not a Vet Tech. The tech's are like nurses for doctor's. I'm a Vet Intern. with 4 years of Internship, I will be licensed.
Best of luck to everyone and Hope BingsHounds got his dog's ear to stop bleeding.
Just want to remind him about the Vitamin B12, Molasses and Antibiotics'.
If you are a holistic person and don't believe in Antibiotics, give Vitamin C. probably around 1000mg Human Grade is the same as dog grade.
Thanks again,
Jeremy

Oh yes contact me anytime you need guidance! Hope you get licensed Ok!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-14-2012 02:51 PM
Bluedogman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bluedogman Click here to Send Bluedogman a Private Message Find more posts by Bluedogman Add Bluedogman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JMollett
UKC Forum Member

Bluedogman,
I won't have a problem getting licensed, I'm only required 30 hours of Large Animal Internship and I have a Successful treatment sheet of 76 hours. Same with small in clinic animals. I only need 45 hours I have 109 hours. Successfully treating the patient on every spread sheet. I have been on farm calls 76 hours from putting IV lines in to Dead cows and saving them from Calcium defiencies and from doing a C-Section on a cow in Labor for 11 hours!
I've taken care of Parvo dogs that had no WBC's done blood transfusion's and No Anaphylatic shock!
As for the Super Glue topic. Let me break it down!
Super Glue contain two types of toxin's Cyanoarcrylate ( CAs)
and Octyl-2-Cyanoarcrylate (2-OCA)
Now the second one is toxic to dogs but rare. The first one is the most problem causing.
Why is their a difference. the first one dry's fast and harden's fast as soon as oxygen hit's it. It requires So much Oxygen to dry, when it get's in the blood it robs all of the oxygen molecule's and causing blood movement difficult and resulting in anemia. Now the worst part is, the glue is carry through the blood slowly. As we all know our blood is filtered by our kidney's. Where do you think the glue get's deposited?
Yep, the kidney's. That is why it shouldn't be used. Not only that, it causes tissue necrosis. causing the tissue to be more prone to dying. Tuning black and usually sloughing off.
Why is the medical grade tissue adhesive better?
Well simple, it contain's Medical grade ingredient's. Most are Butyl-ester's, but other's are isobutyl or octyl-ester's.
They are completely safe and effective.
Not sure why it is hard to believe me, I'm not getting paid anything or trying to sale you anything!
Thanks again,
Jeremy

Mr. Jake.
Tree Stomping Beauty

Old Post 01-14-2012 03:10 PM
JMollett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JMollett Click here to Send JMollett a Private Message Click Here to Email JMollett Find more posts by JMollett Add JMollett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee Currens Jr.
Banned

Re: how to stop a dogs ear from bleeding

quote:
Originally posted by Bingshounds
My female took a big chunk out of her ear and i cant get it to stop bleeding i tried flour and it bled right through what do you guys use?

take it to a vet sew it up,the quicker the better most of the pieces
hanging will live.

Old Post 01-14-2012 03:43 PM
Lee Currens Jr. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Currens Jr. Click here to Send Lee Currens Jr. a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Currens Jr. Add Lee Currens Jr. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majestic Tree H
UKC Forum Member

I buy Out of Date Fascia Stapler with 2mm Stainless Steel Staples .. They are very small staples. I use 3m Skin Adhesive Between the Staples ..

I staple at 1/4" intervals on both sides of the ear ..

I use Forceps on the Bleeders then Cauterize with a Very low wattage Pencil Soldering Iron that I keep in my Vet. Box ..

We Keep and Maintain 35 hounds and they all run together with-in a 6 acre enclosure with a 7' high Fence, They have Woods and Open Areas with a pond ..

Now You would Not Believe how Bumped Bruised, Ripped Torn, Broken and Bashed they Can Get !!!!! The whole Pack can run the perimeter of the Fence which is 3,200 LF in about 65 seconds and that’s running thur the Trees.. Heck I had one hit a tree head on and was half knocked Out ..

This is the Stapler I "try" to get out of Date !!! Indate their around $65 ea

http://www.autosuture.com/autosutur...39868:0,30613:0

Watch esutures for Bargains !! http://www.esutures.com/product/1-e...-miscellaneous/

I also use Med Vet International for Sutures in Gut and Silk
http://www.shopmedvet.com/category/...nd-skin-closure

For IV Supplies and Lactated Ringers I use http://www.atlanticmedsupply.com/sh...=243&cat=IV

But the Shipping will Kill ya .. So I also have a very Close Relationship with our Vet that will sell Ringers for $5.00 a Liter ..

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds

Last edited by Majestic Tree H on 01-14-2012 at 04:08 PM

Old Post 01-14-2012 04:00 PM
Majestic Tree H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majestic Tree H Click here to Send Majestic Tree H a Private Message Click Here to Email Majestic Tree H Visit Majestic Tree H's homepage! Find more posts by Majestic Tree H Add Majestic Tree H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
patches9452
UKC Forum Member

had a horse get its leg caught in a barbedwire fence one time and cut the skin all the way around its leg and when she pulled it out it was buched up around its ankle like a sock..... slid it up and superglued back had very little scaring and her kidneys shut down about 10 yrs later at the age of 26

Old Post 01-14-2012 04:09 PM
patches9452 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for patches9452 Click here to Send patches9452 a Private Message Click Here to Email patches9452 Find more posts by patches9452 Add patches9452 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BILOH
UKC Forum Member

Double her ears back over her head, place a small towel over her ears and wrap with surgical or whatever type of tape you have. Bleeding should stop. whatever you do, the dog will shake the head afterwards and if bleeding comes back probably should follow up with a vet.

Old Post 01-14-2012 04:13 PM
BILOH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BILOH Click here to Send BILOH a Private Message Click Here to Email BILOH Find more posts by BILOH Add BILOH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
choob
New UKC Forum Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I had to correct this misinformation.

Medical 'super glue' including the Gluture product you recommended are cyanoacrylate based. Gluture is a Octyl/butyl cyanoacrylate blend. Human grade glues are octyl-cyanoacrylate based. Craft glue is ethyl/methyl cyanoacrylate based.

The stuff about cyanoacrylate entering the bloodstream and causing anaemia/deterring blood flow is absolute nonsense. It dries almost instantly upon exposure to air and an absolutely negligible amount will enter the wound. Any that does will dry almost instantly in the general vicinity of the wound and will not enter the bloodstream or the kidneys. It most definitely will not drain the entire bloodstream of oxygen.

It worries me that someone with so little knowledge and intelligence is a vet student.

quote:
Originally posted by JMollett
Let me break it down!
Super Glue contain two types of toxin's Cyanoarcrylate ( CAs)
and Octyl-2-Cyanoarcrylate (2-OCA)
Now the second one is toxic to dogs but rare. The first one is the most problem causing.
Why is their a difference. the first one dry's fast and harden's fast as soon as oxygen hit's it. It requires So much Oxygen to dry, when it get's in the blood it robs all of the oxygen molecule's and causing blood movement difficult and resulting in anemia. Now the worst part is, the glue is carry through the blood slowly. As we all know our blood is filtered by our kidney's. Where do you think the glue get's deposited?
Yep, the kidney's. That is why it shouldn't be used. Not only that, it causes tissue necrosis. causing the tissue to be more prone to dying. Tuning black and usually sloughing off.
Why is the medical grade tissue adhesive better?
Well simple, it contain's Medical grade ingredient's. Most are Butyl-ester's, but other's are isobutyl or octyl-ester's.
They are completely safe and effective.
Not sure why it is hard to believe me, I'm not getting paid anything or trying to sale you anything!
Thanks again,
Jeremy

Last edited by choob on 01-20-2015 at 08:43 AM

Old Post 01-19-2015 10:30 PM
choob is offline Click Here to See the Profile for choob Click here to Send choob a Private Message Click Here to Email choob Find more posts by choob Add choob to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hopgood#4962
UKC Forum Member

ears

I agree super glue is not a good idea! Jeremy do you have any suggestions for ear problem like waxie build up and drainage Been to the vet gave ear cleaner and antibiotic problem has been off and on again what you think

Old Post 01-20-2015 03:26 AM
Hopgood#4962 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hopgood#4962 Click here to Send Hopgood#4962 a Private Message Find more posts by Hopgood#4962 Add Hopgood#4962 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote