UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > When is it time?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Nathan Harder
UKC Forum Member

When is it time?

I've heard people say on this board that you don't want to or that it can be hurtful to introduce dogs to competition hunting too early. So for you guys with the experience, what do you look for when you have a young dog that helps you decide wether it's time to start entering in some hunts? When do you decide that it time to haul them to town?

Iraq War Vet 03-04, 05-06
RECON
618-410-3034

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-27-2019 03:53 PM
Nathan Harder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Harder Click here to Send Nathan Harder a Private Message Click Here to Email Nathan Harder Find more posts by Nathan Harder Add Nathan Harder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Thank You for your service. In my opinion, when your dog pays no attention to other dogs track or tree.

Old Post 05-27-2019 09:20 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

When you can cut that dog with or without company and it will go and get treed with a coon. Whether it’s 7month sold or 17 months old. Some are ready earlier than others and some will never make it.

Old Post 05-29-2019 05:55 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

When to compete

Well I'm gonna take a little different approach to your question, by asking you a question.

How special is this dog to you?? Ask yourself this question.

Am I willing to risk all the hard work I have put into this pup to get it where it is for a cast win?

If the answer is yes, then the above answer is good advice.

But if you would hate to see all your efforts and hard work "possibly" go down the tube just for the sake of your first cast win, may I offer you an option?

For me, I never put a young dog into a comp hunt until it has mentally matured just a bit. Some pups have so much more NATURAL ability than maybe the do physical/mental maturity.

Pups like that are a real joy to own, but you can really set back a pup loaded full of natural ability, but maybe lacking some physical/mental maturity by turning them loose in a cast with a 3-4 year old NATURAL ALLIGATOR that chews on them real bad before anyone can get to the tree and stop whats going on. That can really mess with a YOUNG dogs mental ability to hang treed from that point on with a physically rough tree dog. It doesn't ruin them all, but it will ruin some, and you must then decide when the reward is worth the risk.

For me, I like to hold off till my young dog is 20 months old or more before subjecting them to that potential danger but that is just me, as I have NO desire to hunt the money hunts where dogs are hunted by age groups.

Enjoy your hound, and enjoy the hunts, no matter what you decide to do. At least you have a couple perspectives to consider before jumping in. Good Luck!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 05-30-2019 04:40 AM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Rocketman55.........

Excellent post and advise!

I might add that if you've not been to a competition coon hunt before, find a couple near you and go see if you can tag along as a spectator BEFORE you enter your dog in one. You just may find it's not for you or your dog! A really good pleasure dog is not necessarily a good competition dog. Many hounds that excel in competition would be no pleasure to hunt for most pleasure hunters I know!

Old Post 05-30-2019 03:31 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

Off subject but still kinda on is to know rules nothing worse than not being able to give you dog a fair chance by not knowing rules. Go to few hunts see what cast winning dog operates like compare it to yours. Also find some club hunts to enter maybe but beware you draw more young dogs that's just being tested and more likely to be trashy. Best way is find season comp hunter get few guys and have a mock hunt of your own.

Great post above. Ability can get you a win maturity will give you consistancy that will keep you winning.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 05-30-2019 03:55 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Harder
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for all the advise. This is my first coonhound, so I was trying to gather some more thoughts from experienced people on when and why they decided to take the dog. I have been to a few hunts and tagged along. I have been reading up on my rule books. My hound is a late bloomer, most likely from my inexperience. But he is consistently treeing now with the meat. I am a firm believer that when you get a dog regardless of what it is you use it for that purpose. You don't get a coonhound to say you have a coonhound you get it to let it do what it is supposed to do. I am pretty sure that I am going to wait it out and hunt him for another year steady before I give him a go just so that he is fully ready to go.

Iraq War Vet 03-04, 05-06
RECON
618-410-3034

Old Post 05-30-2019 04:37 PM
Nathan Harder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Harder Click here to Send Nathan Harder a Private Message Click Here to Email Nathan Harder Find more posts by Nathan Harder Add Nathan Harder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote