UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Treeing Walkers > Losing Treeing Walker lines?
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Losing Treeing Walker lines?

I would like to encourage young "breeders" and old alike to consider where our different lines or strains have gone?
Each one is like a tool and the more refined the tool (linebred) the the easier it is to use the tool.
Where is the Finley River, the Spring Creek Rock, even famous modern lines are about shot.
Every time you outcross you change the whole dynamics!
Joe House understood,Jim Meeks of Yadkin River understood,etc. etc.
That is how they became set strains with certain characteristics that a person could look at as a tool.Do I want or need that?
I think when people quit living on the farm anymore they lost breeding understanding, Inbreeding and linebreeding are essential to produce a set strain.

Sad to see so much hard work gone, The House boys and Clover boys have done a pretty good job! Kudos

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-07-2014 01:50 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike shannon
UKC Forum Member

Fully agree with you...

NITECH CH HTX PR SHANNON'S HILLBILLY CHIEF 6 CAST WINS
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY LUCIE
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY MAXIE

If you can read this thank a TEACHER
If you can read this in English, thank a VETERAN

www.freewebs.com/shannonshowmekennels

United States Army Retired

Old Post 12-07-2014 04:00 PM
mike shannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike shannon Click here to Send mike shannon a Private Message Click Here to Email mike shannon Find more posts by mike shannon Add mike shannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
abshire
UKC Forum Member

And that my friends about sums it up!!!

Conrad, GREAT POST!!!

Old Post 12-07-2014 04:47 PM
abshire is offline Click Here to See the Profile for abshire Click here to Send abshire a Private Message Click Here to Email abshire Find more posts by abshire Add abshire to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mboyce
UKC Forum Member

ttt

I am no bigtime breeder or nothing like that,just a bear hunter and rabbit hunter but alot of these so called breeders are going backward fast.no nose slick treeing idiots.hard to find brains,nose, and ability anymore.i aggree with you 100%...thanks for posting

HBCH Boyce's Loko Go "Rocket"
HBCH Zirkle's Loko Go "Rebel" 4th place UKC Nationals 2006
CH HBCH Boyce's Loko All Jacked Up "Jack"
Boyce's Loko GO with the "Flo"
Future Prospects:
Boyce's Loko Cinnoman "Candy"
Boyce's Loko Go Turbo

Old Post 12-08-2014 12:55 AM
mboyce is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mboyce Click here to Send mboyce a Private Message Click Here to Email mboyce Visit mboyce's homepage! Find more posts by mboyce Add mboyce to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

I'm no expert, but I know there are certain studs known for throwing 2 or 3 traits. Each stud different then others, I know personally of certain breeders that line breed, also know plenty that don't. I personally have been pretty impressed with a lot of the breeding in the walker breed. Compared to some of the genetic flaws that are showing up in more common breed...I can honestly say I don't think we are doing that bad.

Last edited by Fisher13 on 01-05-2015 at 12:07 PM

Old Post 12-09-2014 12:04 PM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

It has nothing to do with the breed going down hill.
Unless you are a breeder and like to follow good set strains of hounds, then it probably does not matter.
But if you want consistent type hounds with certain traits that run in that family, then that tool is gone.

Unless someone breeds a certain line of dogs for years its hard to understand. The time, the effort and hard work put in to make sure certain traits are carried on.
That is why there are Hardwood fans, finley river fans, clover, House, Coma fans. A person knew what kind of dog that was or should be( Trait wise)

I just think it is time for more people to raise the bar and set some new or old strains again.

Old Post 12-09-2014 12:29 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CONRAD FRYAR
It has nothing to do with the breed going down hill.
Unless you are a breeder and like to follow good set strains of hounds, then it probably does not matter.
But if you want consistent type hounds with certain traits that run in that family, then that tool is gone.

Unless someone breeds a certain line of dogs for years its hard to understand. The time, the effort and hard work put in to make sure certain traits are carried on.
That is why there are Hardwood fans, finley river fans, clover, House, Coma fans. A person knew what kind of dog that was or should be( Trait wise)

I just think it is time for more people to raise the bar and set some new or old strains again.

That makes a lot of sense, like I said I know very little in this department and am not trying to pretend that I do.

In theory if someone has a personal female that they enjoy and would sure like another like one just like her, but she has a fault or 2. Wouldn't it make sense to breed her to a male that is exceptionally strong in a certain area, instead of line breeding back to say an uncle that will more then likely show no improvement in the area that needs improvement?

Now that we have AI, better means of transportation we can now breed to a male on the other side of the country instead of just the local dogs in the neighboring counties. I presume this is one of the reasons why line breeding probably isn't as popular now. I would think this should help improve the breed. I have also found generally the better hounds are from outcrosses and to much of a good thing isn't necessarily a good thing.

Old Post 12-09-2014 02:08 PM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Talking

When you breed the female you are talking about to the male with the certain trait(hard treeing) you will get some like him, some like her, some a cross in between the two, or like one of the grandparents?
Too many apples in the basket for me.
I want to know what they are going to look like, sound like and act like for the most part.Tweak a little here and there.
Transportation has never affected breeding, Coon hunters will go! lol
Line breeding was not done because of an economic state it is a tool.
Horse breeders, cattleman, Gamefowl fanciers all use it.

One of the top cattleman in the USA, Dr. Vineyard told me one time, "When I asked how to start the best small herd i could"
He said" If you do not start with full sisters and be extremely careful to find a balanced male with the same traits you will never get there. They will never be the same,No amount of money will do it.
As a breeder i am looking for the same consistent product.

Yes a T.W. bred to a T.W. will produce little treeing walkers like a box of chocolates.

Old Post 12-09-2014 02:58 PM
chip johnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Fisher13
I'm no expert, but I know there are certain studs known for throwing 2 or 3 traits. Each stud different then others, I know personally of certain breeders that line breed, also know plenty that don't. I personally have been pretty impressed with a lot of the breeding in the walker breed. Compared to some of the genetic flaws that are showing up in more common breed...I can honestly say I don't think we are doing that bad. That being said one of the biggest studs to come along in the walker breed in the past ten years, I think needs to be castrated and never be bred again.

hummmmmm I wonder who this stud might be

Old Post 12-09-2014 07:33 PM
chip johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chip johnson Click here to Send chip johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email chip johnson Find more posts by chip johnson Add chip johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Fisher13
[B That being said one of the biggest studs to come along in the walker breed in the past ten years, I think needs to be castrated and never be bred again. [/B]
i have an idea who this stud may be. if it is the one i think it is i am going to guess because of the many backtracking and poor tracking offspring he produces. the sorry part of this stud is many have and will linebreed him and his bloodlines.
Lucky for me i like blueticks so all the better lol!

Old Post 12-10-2014 12:07 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Please keep to post topic

Old Post 12-10-2014 12:11 AM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
[

One of the top cattleman in the USA, Dr. Vineyard told me one time, "When I asked how to start the best small herd i could"
He said" If you do not start with full sisters and be extremely careful to find a balanced male with the same traits you will never get there. They will never be the same,No amount of money will do it.
As a breeder i am looking for the same consistent product [/B]
actually today they do not recomend linebreeding in cattle like they once did.
consistent doesn't mean good! let alone great!

Old Post 12-10-2014 12:24 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

quote:
When you breed the female you are talking about to the male with the certain trait(hard treeing) you will get some like him, some like her, some a cross in between the two, or like one of the grandparents?
Too many apples in the basket for me.
I want to know what they are going to look like, sound like and act like for the most part.Tweak a little here and there.
Transportation has never affected breeding, Coon hunters will go! lol
Line breeding was not done because of an economic state it is a tool.

As a breeder i am looking for the same consistent product.

Yes a T.W. bred to a T.W. will produce little treeing walkers like a box of chocolates.

Makes a lot of sense, thanks for the education. I will have to shoot you a pm with some questions if I ever do decide to make a cross!

Sorry didn't mean to derail the thread, hopefully we can get it back on track.

Old Post 12-10-2014 06:50 AM
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Just like ignorance is dangerous, bad breeding practices in what ever system you use is the same.

Love to see those guys maintain a good line of dogs and keep them moving forward with balanced traits, that's a true breeder to me.

Old Post 12-10-2014 11:53 AM
chip johnson
UKC Forum Member

i would have to say titles would be the doom of the differant strains.
Clover blood you can get all grand and it is still alive today.

Finley river,Yadkin river yeah they are still around and some are line breeding on it but not in high demand because they dont carry a all grand pedigree.
I like when dogs are bred for traits but i can understand why they bred for titles because that just makes the pups easier to sell,good or bad.

Old Post 12-10-2014 04:07 PM
chip johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chip johnson Click here to Send chip johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email chip johnson Find more posts by chip johnson Add chip johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike shannon
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
Probably should have castrated his daddy.

Lol X2

NITECH CH HTX PR SHANNON'S HILLBILLY CHIEF 6 CAST WINS
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY LUCIE
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY MAXIE

If you can read this thank a TEACHER
If you can read this in English, thank a VETERAN

www.freewebs.com/shannonshowmekennels

United States Army Retired

Old Post 12-10-2014 04:10 PM
mike shannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike shannon Click here to Send mike shannon a Private Message Click Here to Email mike shannon Find more posts by mike shannon Add mike shannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Just like ignorance is dangerous, bad breeding practices in what ever system you use is the same.

Love to see those guys maintain a good line of dogs and keep them moving forward with balanced traits, that's a true breeder to me.

I think one of the hardest part about breeding, is that to me some of the most important traits you can't identify in a few nights in the woods. Intelligence,coon sense, drive etc.
Anyone can spot a loud dog, that has all the chrome but I think it would take at least a season to really know the dog.

That's the biggest thing I have noticed with a lot of the walker lines, there missing the intangibles.

What are some of the more common mistakes that you see on a regular basis Conrad?

Old Post 12-10-2014 05:32 PM
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Actually, it only takes one bad breeding choice.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 12-10-2014 06:07 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Larry is right, it will keep rearing it's ugly head.lol
Fisher 13
The intangibles are what you are looking for!
That is why I believe so much in line breeding, They are so hard to find I do not want to loose them. I only keep the pups in the litter that show the exact same intangibles. Then breed them to someone in that line that has the intangibles, constantly weeding out those that do not have. Be for long they are becoming more consistent to the traits you want your dogs to have.
All it takes is one time getting off track and you can throw something in there that ajax cant wash out, learned the hard way.lol Gotta stay with the program, it's hard work.

That's why I hate to see some of these good ole lines go away.

Old Post 12-10-2014 11:22 PM
jesse
UKC Forum Member

Some one please pm me about what stud in the last ten years should be casterated thank you.

Old Post 01-02-2015 10:16 AM
jesse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jesse Click here to Send jesse a Private Message Click Here to Email jesse Find more posts by jesse Add jesse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

You can't exactly compare breeding cattle to breeding coon hounds.

Physical characteristics are relatively easy to breed for.

Things that make a hound great like nose, intelligence, heart, and disposition are not nearly as easy to nail down.

Old Post 01-02-2015 02:43 PM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jay brademeyer
UKC Forum Member

You are absolutely right Mr Carroll..way more ingredients goes in to making a good coondog, then they have to get it the right hands

"Building on a solid foundation starts on the bottom side"

Old Post 01-02-2015 05:15 PM
jay brademeyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jay brademeyer Click here to Send jay brademeyer a Private Message Click Here to Email jay brademeyer Find more posts by jay brademeyer Add jay brademeyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Mr Carroll, You are right they are different but my point is lines are easier to tweek and control than that big ocean of always outcrossing. There are things in breeding that only God controls Kind of like our kids personalities.

Old Post 01-02-2015 09:17 PM
Chase Strebeck
UKC Forum Member

I had an uncle that had his own line of Catahoula cur dogs. They were not registered dogs, just some dogs he started. He kept that line going for around 60 years. They were used as stock dogs and for hunting hogs. People came from all over the country to get dogs from him. His dogs were line bred. I don't know exactly how he done it all but he line bred these dogs without them being to close. His dogs were known to have certain abilities and traits. Now not all the dogs he produced made it. I heard too that some of the dogs he used to breed with weren't all that great in the woods but on a very consistent basis he produced good dogs from his line bred dogs. I have a dog now out of that line that is around 12 years old. When he was 6 months old I showed him a small hog. He lost his mind. It was like he knew exactly what it was and what he was supposed to do. After that, all he had to do was to be took to the woods and it all came natural to him. It was the same way when I showed him cattle. It was in him so much you just had to take him and the rest just happened on its own. He's been bred just a few times. A couple females carried the same old blood as him and there were some good pups from them. He produced some on a couple other females that he was nowhere near related to. For whatever reason my uncle's line of dogs is sort of fading out. Most people out crossed them instead of doing any line breeding to them. I get sad sometimes when I think about it cause sometime soon my uncle's line will fade away.

I decided I wanted to get into coon hunting and soon figured out that there was a little more to training a coon dog. I have always wondered if there was a line or strain of coon dogs that would compare to my uncle's dogs in the train ability department. The kind that just have it in them so much that all you have to do is just make a way for them.

Old Post 01-03-2015 02:36 AM
Chase Strebeck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chase Strebeck Click here to Send Chase Strebeck a Private Message Click Here to Email Chase Strebeck Find more posts by Chase Strebeck Add Chase Strebeck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

I myself had gotten out of the sport 20 years ago and got back into this great sport and have noticed the same thing with this new line of dogs we ahve today. In the last 2 years I have tried English , B&T and noticed exactly what you are talking about. The old lines are gone. Now that im back and tried the other breeds im going back to my old faithfull WALKER HOUND. And yes what I want just dont seam to be out there anymore unless it is 4 to 6 generations back. I think if it is that far back allready it is lost. My opinion is the good old $ took over the sport and it is only going to get worse with this X breeding starting. The days of buying good old blooded pups for $200 that would run any track hot or cold lay-ups are gone now its $700 or more for a pup blow thru the woods type dog 4-5 slicks before they actualy tree a coon & pass up several doing it. We need to get the old blood back in the sport not the $$$$

Old Post 01-04-2015 07:07 AM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote