UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Treeing Walkers > Harry, Sacket, Nailor, Lipper Question?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

Harry, Sacket, Nailor, Lipper Question?

It's seems that with the walker today's, most of them go back to one of these 4 studs.

I was wondering what Info you guys could share on these dogs?
I knows Harry dogs tend to be wired and hard going, like to get treed quick.

I know Nailor threws lots of tree as well, big mouths,and I personally have a hunch he threw some brains. Unconfirmed.

Sacket Jr. I know little about but from what I understand he may have thrown the most balance of the bunch?

Lipper, I understand was the most track oriented out of the bunch, and could really drive tracks as well threw a lot of hunt in his dogs.

Not looking to stir up trouble, and in reality most of this blood is probably watered down to the point there isn't much of a point in having this discussion. Just was curious.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-23-2014 01:41 PM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NiteHeat
UKC Forum Member

I cant find much info about sackett jr. There is tons of great info on finleyriverchief.com. Id really like to hear about him

Old Post 12-23-2014 03:51 PM
NiteHeat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NiteHeat Click here to Send NiteHeat a Private Message Click Here to Email NiteHeat Find more posts by NiteHeat Add NiteHeat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jay brademeyer
UKC Forum Member

Lipper, prduced go go go, track driving speed, mouth and super good looks. Many of today's solid foundations were built on LIPPER females...
Nailor....big dogs,, big mouths and treeeee dawgs.nailor was a chromier version of tar rattler,and a better producer than rattler. Trackman is the next in this line with the sacket jr thrown in through Rock river lady, and she brought into it, the independence that you can get out of trackman. Trackman will also be remembered for his reproducing females he produced like ole LIPPER..watch and see
Sty Harry ... Allot like the lipper dogs. He was loaded with lipper...allot of drive real good mouths more tree than lipper and independence. I've had several Harry and Harry bred dogs all but one were allot of work,but all were worth the work i put in in the end.. Really like the Harry bred dogs..not for the faint of heart..lol
Sacket jr ....tree dogs with looks produced allot of good tree dogs, when we bred to him we lost allot of track speed..the ones we raised out of him were good cold nosed track dogs but we lost the speed on the hot And cold tracks that the line had that we bred to him . Real good stay put tree dogs.

...These are and were my findings and experiances. Others may have had totally different experiances
..so you can take this for what it is worth...with all due respect for all the dogs mentioned.

"Building on a solid foundation starts on the bottom side"

Last edited by jay brademeyer on 12-23-2014 at 04:43 PM

Old Post 12-23-2014 04:02 PM
jay brademeyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jay brademeyer Click here to Send jay brademeyer a Private Message Click Here to Email jay brademeyer Find more posts by jay brademeyer Add jay brademeyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

Jay all I want is peoples well thought out opinions. Yours certainly fall into that category. Ty for sharing.

When you say Harry dogs were a lot of work, do you mean, just really tough to hunt down? Or just had some faults that needed hunted out of them? Slow starters but finished out nice?

When you say sackett dogs were a bit slower do you mean that they were more of a nose down type dog, that enjoyed running those old feeder tracks? We're his dogs more suitable for pleasure hunters in many ways?

Thanks again for sharing.
Even though more and more I am putting less and less stock in pedigrees, it's always nice to know as much as you can about a dog and where he came from.

Are there any names you feel should be added to the list or maybe a dog from the same era that were overlooked?

Last edited by Fisher13 on 12-23-2014 at 06:23 PM

Old Post 12-23-2014 06:21 PM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

I have hunted with Nailor and I hunted with his daddy Rattler too. Both dogs were very nice all around hounds that were not mean at all and had a good mouth. They were the type of hound that most guys would want to own. You would have to be ridiculously picky or extremely very bored to sit around and dream up faults on either dog. I personally didn't care for their size...they were big dogs.
I never knew Sackett, Jr. or his daddy, but I knew his grand dad...Ntch. Yadkin River Crowder. I spent many a night in the woods with him back in the 80's. He was as nice a dog you could ever want, he definitely ran a track very deliberate and was a stay put dog. Nothing blow down about him, he just didn't make mistakes. He could have easily finished out to grand, but his owner just didn't put him in the hunts much after he made nite champion. I think his owner didn't want to take any chances having him ate up in a hunt, there were a lot more mean dogs around back in those days.
Crowder could have probably won just about any hunt you wanted to put him in, he was good and he was way above average when it came to staying away from those minus points. He was a very intelligent dog. He wasn't loud, but didn't have a bad mouth and he wasn't a crazy treeing dog either. I guess the best way to describe Crowder was that he was the type of dog that when he barked you were soon gonna look at a coon with no B.S. about it. Very well balanced and a good reproducer.
He wasn't promoted hardly at all, word of mouth was about it. If he would have been promoted and finished out {making grand really was a big deal back then, it's expected to day} I believe he could have been every bit the famous bloodline as some of the greats today. This is not a far leap when you consider what his offspring have done.
I have said it before, there is a big choice to be made by the owner of a good stud dog...do I pick and choose carefully the females to breed to reproduce the best??? Or, do I take all the money I can and cruise around in a new truck??? Tough choice...what would you do???

Edit: I should throw in there that back in those days I hunted all redbones for what it's worth.

Old Post 12-23-2014 07:26 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jay brademeyer
UKC Forum Member

The Harry dogs i fooled with were allot of work cause they were allot like the LIPPERS they had more nose than brains to begin with when starting out. I knew from past experience with the LIPPERS that they would get smarter with time and not bite off more than they could chew...But my patiants was less with the Harry dogs cause i was older and was a better trainer. So everyone but one i beat the brush bihind them and move them on on those tracks that were to much for them as they were young dogs...That was the work i was talking about... You don't make a Harry dogs on the tailgate sipping coffee and talking about ole so n so..they have enormous talent And drive, and you need to hone it and point it in the right direction and that takes work, every bit of the work was worth it because they finished out into what i was wanting....
... The sacket jr dogs have allot of tree in them..a lot...and the ones we had direct off him were track stradlers . they were off a female that was a track driver hot or cold...but i also seen them jr dogs in thick coon in Michigan tree them like squirrels.that were they shined.. Like i said some might not agree with me. Just talking of my experiances...and you can't call one dog off so and so the rule cause both sides make the dog.... Along with there handler...and a dog off the same sire from a different bitch can be totally the opposite...

Old Post 12-23-2014 07:49 PM
jay brademeyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jay brademeyer Click here to Send jay brademeyer a Private Message Click Here to Email jay brademeyer Find more posts by jay brademeyer Add jay brademeyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

Lots of good info guys here keep coming! Thanks Alot!

What ever happened to the yadkin line? Did that pretty much turn into nailor and sackett?

Old Post 12-24-2014 03:22 PM
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Fisher13
Lots of good info guys here keep coming! Thanks Alot!

What ever happened to the yadkin line? Did that pretty much turn into nailor and sackett?

I guess some of it did...from what I have seen over the years a kennel name gets started, then that kennel produces a fantastic dog or two. Out of respect and/or the instant recognition people use that kennel name for the pups they buy. Not everyone does this but it seems to go on while the owner of the kennel is active. When he either gets inactive {quits or whatever the reason} or the kennel just isn't producing fantastic dogs anymore then people start naming dogs after their own kennel.
There must still be a lot of Yadkin River bred dogs {or any other line of the past} out there, but where or how do you find them????

Old Post 12-26-2014 01:15 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by msinc
There must still be a lot of Yadkin River bred dogs {or any other line of the past} out there, but where or how do you find them???? [/B]

Pedigree research . Many of us today could call our dogs Yadkin River Finley River House's Tar Heel Charlie Creek Dohoney's .Stylish So and So .
Here are a couple of examples ...
Anything with Ball's Stylish Hickory Nut Harry is going to take you on back to Lipper , Finley River Chief , Banjo and House's Tom Tom with Logan's Wild Clover and the Hardwood line along with the the daddyof Bozo Hickory Nut Harry .
Anything with Trackman is going to take you on back to the Tar Heel stuff , Yadkin River Jeff and Crowder Dohoney's Mike daddy to Boone and on back to Finley River Chief .
There are alot of old pedigrees on the Foundation of the Breed along with old Stud dog ads . Go on there on a day when you have time to sit in front of the computer for a while . All the research is in that spot but you can read for days and days , something to do if you get snowed in this winter .

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 12-27-2014 05:56 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jay brademeyer
The Harry dogs i fooled with were allot of work cause they were allot like the LIPPERS they had more nose than brains to begin with when starting out. I knew from past experience with the LIPPERS that they would get smarter with time and not bite off more than they could chew...But my patiants was less with the Harry dogs cause i was older and was a better trainer. So everyone but one i beat the brush bihind them and move them on on those tracks that were to much for them as they were young dogs...That was the work i was talking about... You don't make a Harry dogs on the tailgate sipping coffee and talking about ole so n so..they have enormous talent And drive, and you need to hone it and point it in the right direction and that takes work, every bit of the work was worth it because they finished out into what i was wanting....
... The sacket jr dogs have allot of tree in them..a lot...and the ones we had direct off him were track stradlers . they were off a female that was a track driver hot or cold...but i also seen them jr dogs in thick coon in Michigan tree them like squirrels.that were they shined.. Like i said some might not agree with me. Just talking of my experiances...and you can't call one dog off so and so the rule cause both sides make the dog.... Along with there handler...and a dog off the same sire from a different bitch can be totally the opposite...

A lot of dog smarts in this post.

Old Post 12-28-2014 04:15 AM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jay brademeyer

Jay, I have noticed the more nose then brains in dogs out of skuna river fred as well, do you think this has been passed down, from lipper? In my experience hunting a dog for numerous nights usually cures this issue.

Old Post 12-28-2014 09:25 PM
jay brademeyer
UKC Forum Member

Alot of the cold nosed dogs have more nose than they know what to do with when they are young... Most figure it out in time for sure,and when they do they usually make very good track dogs hot or cold...i usually don't like mine to fool around with them cold tracks much,so i tend to move them on if they spend much time with a rough track.... Every LIPPER And close LIPPER bred dog i have been around made tremendous track dogs once their brain caught up with their nose...lol...but like i said before i break mine from messing to long with those old tracks when they are young...... If i didn't have many coon that would be different, but i have enough coons , and them old feeder tracks will freeze you to death up here in the north country ..lol.. I want one that gets his track to the right tree the quickest , and usually that takes a real track driving dog... If that means dropping off an old feed track that caught their attention for a few min. , and drift in and find it or another that's what i want...if they can move that rough track great, but that sap sucker better not be in there turning leaves over, or he is going to get moved on out of there....Some fellas are to fat and lazy to do this and they would rather sit on the tailgate and dream up some excuse with conditions or what ever. When what they need to do is get in there and send that bugger on..jmo..
..a dog with all the born in talent is only as good as his handler...he will be better than the one with less talent, but who is handling him will determine how good he can get..

Last edited by jay brademeyer on 12-28-2014 at 10:02 PM

Old Post 12-28-2014 09:59 PM
V.R. Eakins
UKC Forum Member

info

Jay that was an insightful and knowledgeable response to the question that was posted about what you have experienced with dogs from those studs. Standing still wanting on a leave turner is not fun in the heat of the south or the cold of the north.

Old Post 01-25-2015 04:30 AM
V.R. Eakins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for V.R. Eakins Click here to Send V.R. Eakins a Private Message Find more posts by V.R. Eakins Add V.R. Eakins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 01-25-2015 06:44 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote