UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > great product for those of us in colder weather cliamtes
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

great product for those of us in colder weather cliamtes

Gents,

Don't have anything to do with making or selling these spring loaded doors, but they work very well.. I bought mine from Scandaigua (spelling?) hound supply out of the north east.. Paid like $112 for 3 of them shipped.. Some friends have found them cheaper elsewhere, but...

I put these on in Mid November, learning curve was three hours to three days.. The dog I figured would get it right away about drove me crazy.. The other two in a matter of hours..

I over tightened them a bit at install so they would stay open about three inches.. Once the dogs figured them out, i loosened in two stages until they were closed and used to using them..

Took the heat gun out at 5:30pm last evening.. 26 degrees outside temp with snow.. Dogs had been out of the houses for 5-7 minutes.. 61 degrees and 60 degrees for those two.. Third dog had been out quite a while playing and watching for cats, 44 degrees.

I've put my hand down in the houses multiple times and figured the bedding temp was well over 70 degrees when the dogs immediately came off it.. Between this and heated water dishes, it's like the best of all worlds for cold weather hound keeping..

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-04-2022 05:17 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J Gearing
UKC Forum Member

I think these doors were another brainstorm of Tom Scott from right here in Indiana. He was selling these close to 50 years ago. Good idea then and now.

Old Post 01-04-2022 05:46 PM
J Gearing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J Gearing Click here to Send J Gearing a Private Message Click Here to Email J Gearing Find more posts by J Gearing Add J Gearing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug A
UKC Forum Member

here's a link

https://hounddoggear.com/viewdetail...ge=&search=

Old Post 01-04-2022 08:01 PM
Doug A is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug A Click here to Send Doug A a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug A Find more posts by Doug A Add Doug A to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Larry what are they made of ? Would you say they'd survive a couple destructive young uns...I notice the corners of your dog house isn't even rounded off like mine lol

I haven't decided if there's just enough walker in these redbones to make em crazy or maybe the other way around 💩

Old Post 01-04-2022 08:02 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

Thin piece of mat nailed along the top always worked well for me. Easy in easy out.

Old Post 01-04-2022 10:42 PM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I got one of these, and LOVE it..... dogs can't/won't tear it up, and it makes a nice tight seal.

I have two dogs in a good sized dog house together. It is insulated, and I keep it stuffed with a good bed of straw. I have this door on it to keep their body heat inside.

I keep a thermometer inside it. The other morning it was -16 when I fed the dogs... inside the dog house was 40 above. A good door is amazing for the hounds. This is the best one I've found. I went through several homeade attempts and wished I had just started out with this.

Old Post 01-05-2022 12:57 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ruttinbuck
UKC Forum Member

Dog doors

Do the dogs open the door with a foot from the outside and push open from the inside ?

Old Post 01-05-2022 01:44 AM
ruttinbuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ruttinbuck Click here to Send ruttinbuck a Private Message Click Here to Email ruttinbuck Find more posts by ruttinbuck Add ruttinbuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dog doors

quote:
Originally posted by ruttinbuck
Do the dogs open the door with a foot from the outside and push open from the inside ?

You see the unhinged side (right) has a flange, the dogs quickly learn to stick their nose in there and open it from the outside... and yes simply pushing through it from the inside.

Old Post 01-05-2022 02:14 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I think you’ll find it is Sacandaga Hound Supply out of upstate NY.

hounddoggear.com

Old Post 01-05-2022 02:33 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

I use a flap cut from conveyor belt.

Old Post 01-05-2022 05:42 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Donnie, these are made out of aluminum.. The doors have only been on since November, I've only got one pup and he's a year old and is a pistol.. He's not worried the door a bit.. The houses have a thin metal strip of trim on the corners about an inch and a half wide or he would have ate his by now!!!

As Houndsound noted, these are flanged on the open side and the hounds use their foot or nose to flip open to enter and simply push with their nose to exit.. Observation I made is the two older dogs open with their nose almost all the time, the pup opens with his foot about 50 percent of the time..

Only downside to using these is now my treat cabinet in the pole barn is in a cupboard with a spring door and these boogers have all figured out how to open it since I put the doors on.

I switched over to canine ballistics beds in the houses a year ago and used a "porch" add on that created an east facing entrance and dead air space hall way.. No straw or chip mess anywhere in the kennels and yards and an extremely warm, durable bedding situation.. Been using the canine ballistic beds for two years.. The pup has used their warranty in the last year, replacements sent no questions asked.. In conjunction with these doors it's incredibly warm in the houses in cold weather.. We are getting ready to drop into teens and single digits at night and I will check temps with the heat gun..

Old Post 01-05-2022 02:59 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
breezyoaks
UKC Forum Member

Belt or carpet

quote:
Originally posted by Bill(Chew)
I use a flap cut from conveyor belt.

X2 DITTO

Patrick Barrett

Old Post 01-06-2022 04:08 AM
breezyoaks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for breezyoaks Click here to Send breezyoaks a Private Message Click Here to Email breezyoaks Find more posts by breezyoaks Add breezyoaks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scott VH
UKC Forum Member

Doors

Larry,

I have two of those doors and I think they are great. Two things I have noticed is when you get snow ( and sometimes bedding) some will wedge the door open if you don't keep it cleaned away from the entrance. The other thing is because these doors do fit pretty tight I have installed two round 3" vents on the house under the roof edge on the south side. The dogs throw off a lot of heat and the vents keep the air "cleaner" inside the house.
I also have 4 houses that have the K9 Condo doors on them. Those are good but you have to watch for bedding getting wedged under the door so it does not hang open. Those have a pretty good air gap around them so ventilation is not an issue.
Between the two I like the first ones the best. I have had pups that within minutes figured them out.

Scott

Floyd's Shine On (GrNiteCh Pink Floyd x GrNiteCh Oklahoma Blue Creek)

Gone but not forgotten:
GrNiteCh Mose's Pink Floyd (GrNiteCh Dean's Blue Mose X GrNiteCh B&D's Blue Ruby) Hollis-VH
GrNiteCh GrCh Bullet II's Code Blue Cricket (GrCh GrNiteCh 'PR' Twin Springs Runnin Bullet II X NiteCh Ch JJ's Code Blue Jenny)
Ch GrNiteCh Smokey River Blue Tramp II (GrCh GrNiteCh Smokey River Jean's Blue Tramp X Ch NiteCh Misty River Blue Doll IV)
GrNiteCh GrCh Vining's Hammerhead (Dual Grand Twin Springs Runnin Bullet II X Dual Grand Vining Blue Mollie)
GrNiteCh Ch Uchtmans Blue Logan (GrNiteCh Gene's Blue Newton X ChNiteCh Smiley's Blue Lady)
GrNiteCh GrCh Makin' Music Banjo (GrNiteCh Washburn Valley Blue Drip X GrNiteCh GrCh Razor Ridge Unstable Mable)
GrNiteCh. Uncle Pen (GrNiteCh South Shore Drive Blue Kev X GrNiteCh Frosty's Fancy)

Old Post 01-06-2022 12:35 PM
Scott VH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Scott VH Click here to Send Scott VH a Private Message Click Here to Email Scott VH Find more posts by Scott VH Add Scott VH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the information Scott - Hoping we dodge the big snow here this year so that doesn't become a factor!!! I live in the lake michigan snow belt, just on the edge, so occasionally we get big snow..

Early in the year I over tightened the doors just a bit so there was a slight gap and provided ventilation.. Now I have them adjusted down and closed. No issues with the hounds.. They won't hardly come out of the box except to eat and do their business on these cold days!

I use the Canine ballistics beds in the houses instead of bedding.. Did that from a clean up and mess perspective.. No issue on interfering with the doors unless the bone headed pup decides to jerk his bed out of the house for a play toy.. Noticed there is no issue with that in this cold snap!!

I had K9 condo doors on some houses years ago and liked them just fine, very similar to the flaps the other guys are discussing.. Way better than nothing for sure.

Old Post 01-07-2022 03:03 PM
critter
UKC Forum Member

Larry

Do you use the cots or the mats?

Old Post 01-07-2022 06:13 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Critter, i use the matt/dog bed, it's a soft pillowy dig bed zipped into the canine ballistics cover.. Spendy, but a really nice product in my opinion..

Old Post 01-09-2022 05:48 PM