UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > "Its genetic! You can't Fix it!"
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
shy dogs are a cull to me. ya'll can have um!

Over the years I’ve had really good shy dogs…
Nowadays I won’t keep any shy dogs…

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-04-2022 11:05 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I still agree with my statement years later. Shy dogs are culls

Old Post 01-04-2022 02:07 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

This thread makes me think about a Walker female I raised in the 70's, Her dam was House's Chief's daughter and she was sired by Gann's Finisher. My 6-year-old daughter named her Ginger after Ginger on Gilligan's Island because she was red-headed. When Ginger was about 2 months old I bought a house that needed remodeling. So she stayed in the pen until she was about 9 months old. Very little human contact. When I did take her to the woods it took me about an hour to get my hands on her again. This went on for about 5 hunts. Finally, I told my hunting buddy I was going to get rid of her. He told me he would take her to his house and let her run loose. He lived out in the country, I didn't. After a few weeks, she got easy for him to catch. He came to work one day and said he had taken her to the woods and she treed a coon. After that, we started taking her in a boat and shining coons on the bank, and putting her on them. She turned out to be one of the best dogs I ever owned. I kept her until she died. I was always glad I didn't dispose of her. So that's one that was worth spending more time with. I don't think her shyness was genetic, however. It was man-made.

Old Post 01-04-2022 11:13 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

It Genentics

The answer to any complex question is seldom yes or no. Is a dog shy from not being socialized at weaning age?
IS THE DOG SHY OR CAUTIOUS?
Highly intelligent dogs will not come up to someone they don't know! Would you instruct your grandchildren to hug every stranger at the mall?
Some of the best dogs that I've seen bonded with their owner at 8 to 10
weeks and would not accept a new owner until after they were trained.
THE HIGHER THE IQ OF A DOG, THE LESS MISTAKES BY THE OWNER OR HANDLER THEY WILL TOLERATE.

Some among us should always pick low IQ dogs. No offense intended.

Ken Risley

Old Post 01-05-2022 07:59 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

It Genentics

The answer to any complex question is seldom yes or no. Is a dog shy from not being socialized at weaning age?
Highly intelligent dogs will not come up to someone they don't know! Would you instruct your grandchildren to hug every stranger at the mall?
THE HIGHER THE IQ OF A DOG, THE LESS MISTAKES BY THE OWNER OR HANDLER THEY WILL TOLERATE.

Ken Risley

Old Post 01-05-2022 07:59 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: It Genentics

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry

Ken Risley

Excellent post…

Old Post 01-05-2022 09:29 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote