UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Price of Hounds
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Price of Hounds

You think good Coon Hounds cost a lot of money. Go try and buy a good Deer Hound that will take sign and trail the deer up. Better bring $1,000 to start the conversation.

We talk about coonhounds on here and the differences in the hounds. I hunt with about 5 guys that each have a pack of deer hounds. Wide variety of ability in these hounds. They will all get the job done. But they do it in slightly different ways. Some of these dogs trail at a slower pace. One guy has dogs that can trail like they are running it. Some are extremely fast and some are slower. Something you see deer hunting that I know happens coon hunting. But it is not as noticeable. Past week had dogs running a deer and cross a road on buck. Come out the other side running a doe. I actually saw the buck slipping away from the race and crossing in a different place than the dogs running the doe did.

Hound hunting is so much fun. But you just have to enjoy the race and the results more than trying to figure out what is happening. That part will drive you crazy. Hounds have become a results oriented sport. Show me the money or show me the buck. LOL

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-06-2021 11:02 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kybufford
UKC Forum Member

Me and my friends were talking about this the other day. We use to sell our trashy dogs to guys down south that run deer with hounds. The funny part is alot of those dogs would eventually flip to treeing coons and they would sell them back to coon hunters.

Its crazy what one guy hates in a dog another guy loves. I think that's what make this sport so great.

God only knows who we'd be without soldiers and Jesus.

Rack'em Up Willy pup
--County Line's Rammy(Rambo)

Black and Tans
TREE BANGIN White Boy
*UKC win Friday night Red Bone days 2021
BnT TREE BANGIN BUFFORD the start of it all

Old Post 12-06-2021 04:05 PM
kybufford is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kybufford Click here to Send kybufford a Private Message Click Here to Email kybufford Find more posts by kybufford Add kybufford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JLC
UKC Forum Member

dogs

you are right the price is gone up on all tells of dogs...used to run up to virginia.... west virginia .... with 300 dollars... pickup 20 dogs was trashy coon dogs.. but they wood make the best deer dogs... at the age 70 still love to hear a good packed of dogs run...

Old Post 12-07-2021 12:46 AM
JLC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JLC Click here to Send JLC a Private Message Click Here to Email JLC Find more posts by JLC Add JLC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Deer dogs

Never hunted deer with dogs, but it sounds like it would be a blast. I went fox hunting with some older guys when I was younger. They would sit around a fire, eat snacks and listen to the dogs run. Man those dogs could run, you would hear them coming down the ridge and bam they would go out of hearing, before long you would hear them coming again. This went on for hours, was a lot if fun, no walking or climbing mountains. I bet listening to those deer dogs would be close to fox hunting, only we never killed the fox . Dave

Old Post 12-07-2021 04:26 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Harvesting the deer is not as simple as it seems with dogs. For the last month there has been a nice 8pt and a tall 6pt on camera at 3 different locations in the same area. Area has been hunted hard and neither of those bucks have been seen in front of the dogs. Since during the week I have to visit the Doctor each morning. I have been going through the area after work, trying to figure out where those bucks are laying up at. It is just a mental game that is fun to play. Deer hunters have a variety of different hounds just like the coonhounds. Some will trail, some run like they were shot out of a cannon. Some hunt an area out well and some just blow through it. Everyone says they want something different. But like coonhunting it boils down to what dogs you have and then you put together a story why those are the best. LOL Lots of fun and heartbreaks hunting with dogs. The more you let reality govern how your dogs will be the harder it is to get one. Let your imagination rule and you will be happy with about anything.

Old Post 12-07-2021 11:26 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
david.e.penley
UKC Forum Member

Puppy cost

A puppy or a hound is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

DAVID PENLEY (828)- 635-6881

GRCH GRNITECH HONEY CREEK SPiDER R.I.P.
THE #1 REPRODUCER OUT OF GRNITECH 'PR' HONEY CREEK HARRY !

CHKC SUPER STUD, PKC CH, GRNITECH 'PR' HONEY CREEK SPIDER (SEMEN)

PKC CH. GRNITECH "PR"
LONE PINE T-REX (SEMEN)

PKC CH GRCH NITECH LEGEND'S LONE PINE TAR HTX (SEMEN)

THE TRUTH DOESN'T HURT ANYONE, IT JUST
PISSES THEM OFF !

BLACKOAK KENNEL
HOME OF:

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH' PR ' WHITE'S LITTLE QUEENIE
( GRNITECH ' PR ' TURPIN'S INSANE CAIN x
CH GRNITECH 'PR' FROST BITE ) OUT OF TRACKMAN.
5 GENERATION ALL GRAND !
5th PLACE FINALIST 2017 WORLD HUNT

PKC CH GRCH NITECH "PR" LONE PINE TAR HTX
( Grnitech Lone Pine Legend and Grniech Stylish Daisy ) Triple Coma and Lone pine as close as your going to get it.
Tar is being hunted and being showed in UKC. Being hunted in pkc also.

"PR" Madcap's Insane Sue
( Grch Grnitech "PR" Insane Madcap and
Insane Gypsy ) " a natural"

Old Post 01-02-2022 03:07 AM
david.e.penley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for david.e.penley Click here to Send david.e.penley a Private Message Click Here to Email david.e.penley Visit david.e.penley's homepage! Find more posts by david.e.penley Add david.e.penley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James B Grice
UKC Forum Member

I hear it all the time from Some folks its like a broken record , That Pup aint worth that much or SO AND SO SELLS HIS FOR $200 or Back In The Day we could get a good dog for $300 ...My Friends Back In The Day was along time ago I REMEMBER WHEN GAS WAS .30 A GALLON BACK IN THE DAY TOO You do the math I PERSONALLY THINK ITS ABOUT TIME A GOOD COONHOUND SELLS FOR GOOD MONEY The real Problem is most coonhunters dont wanna do the foot work or dont have the time and MOST are To tight to pay for a good one Price for anything is between two people only THE BUYER AND SELLER jmo

Old Post 01-03-2022 07:38 PM
James B Grice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James B Grice Click here to Send James B Grice a Private Message Click Here to Email James B Grice Find more posts by James B Grice Add James B Grice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

I know some guys that used to buy weak treeing coonhounds for next to nothing and sell them in California to bear hunters for lots of money. That was before it became illegal.

Old Post 01-03-2022 10:02 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dog prices

Lol. Dog prices and horse hay prices are 2 things that I want to get as cheap as I can, but are 2 things that if I had to train ( dog ) and put up ( hay) no one could afford to buy from me. A good trained dog is worth their weight in gold and good horse hay about the same. Personally, I think you get what you pay for, good ain't cheap and cheap ain't good describes it best. Dave

Old Post 01-04-2022 04:39 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Mr Richards, I have to disagree,

Some of the best I have owned I got for free and some of most expensive holes I’ve dug I paid good money for.

Old Post 01-04-2022 12:00 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

Expensive anything isn't always good and cheap items are not always bad

Old Post 01-04-2022 10:43 PM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dog prices

In 1998 I raised a litter of pups out of a good female and we'll known stud dog I sold those pups for 300.00. Back then and didn't make alot of profit after paying stud fee etc. In today's world that's about 515.00 dollars so anyone buying pups in that range out of quality dogs on both sides is getting a good price

Old Post 01-04-2022 11:24 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta nightlife
UKC Forum Member

Re: Mr Richards, I have to disagree,

quote:
Originally posted by OLD TIMER
Some of the best I have owned I got for free and some of most expensive holes I’ve dug I paid good money for.

Amen to that

Old Post 01-05-2022 03:35 PM
delta nightlife is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta nightlife Click here to Send delta nightlife a Private Message Click Here to Email delta nightlife Find more posts by delta nightlife Add delta nightlife to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Just go price a few pups from field trial champion dogs, or just titled bird dogs in general. There's plenty of $ being paid for nothing special lap dogs too. But for some reason coon hunters think pups should still be priced at $150 or below. Well I hate to break it to those guys but you're idea of getting a pup with the tool set it should have for that price probably isn't very good.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 01-05-2022 10:07 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Mr Richards, I have to disagree,

quote:
Originally posted by OLD TIMER

Sir, there are always exception to the rule. I paid 300.00 for one of the best dogs I have ever owned, just because she treed possums. I broke her off possums and she was a real coon dog, accurate as any dog ever gets. I too have paid big money for dogs that did not suit me, but a bargain is rare and few. I know it's not the price that matters, but most folks know the value of what they have. Can you still get a bargain, yes you can, but a top dog brings a top price today and yesterday. Dave

Old Post 01-05-2022 11:07 PM