UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How good is a dead loner?
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rghnd123
UKC Forum Member

Leash lock

There is no leash lock in CHKC and it pays money to win.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-19-2018 03:19 PM
rghnd123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rghnd123 Click here to Send rghnd123 a Private Message Click Here to Email rghnd123 Visit rghnd123's homepage! Find more posts by rghnd123 Add rghnd123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

It's buried in the archives of coondog histories forever !! Buuuuuut if you young guys had been there to see it you would be singing a different song ........ Oh by the way us old guys didn't change the game you young guys did and I cooked and judged and moh when I was young now about that getting old stuff.

Just keep putting your britches on and one day you will be .......

Tar

Old Post 05-19-2018 03:38 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
What people don't realize is most of what they call dead loners run the edges and find a hot pop up

Not true.

Do you just repeat what you hear on the internet when discussing coon hunting?

Old Post 05-19-2018 04:12 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

What !!!!! Do you ask your brother for information while you make your pretty candle stick holders ?

Boom baby !!

Tar

Old Post 05-19-2018 04:26 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

This topic is beat to death on this forum. Guarantee you within a month we will have to revisit it. People worry to much about what everyone else is packing. Dogs that hustle tree coons and are accurate win compitition hunts more consistently. I've never seen a wld class or elite hound that had a style of staying close and poping coons within 100 yards of truck. The days of dropping all the dogs staying together and scoring trees and moving are over at major hunts that are meaningful.

Old Post 05-19-2018 05:11 PM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Mr Williams the funny thing is back in the day we had every style of dog that you got now. We had babblers , deep and alone , we had edge runners , we had cover late get ate !! Buuuuuut we only had rules ( ukc ) that it wasn't in a dogs best interest to do those things. You had 300 dogs at a lot of major hunts that you had to have the most plus points to beat them. Local hunts at least you had to beat 60 dogs for your first place. No elimination style no enter up and get a second chance. Now with any game you get people that figure out how to maximize their chances of winning with the rules in place any time you have big $$$$$ on the line you will find people with deep pockets that will spend $30,000 to win $30,000. I can't compete with that even with a coondog my chances of buying a $2 quick pick and winning the lottery are just about as good as me driving to the world hunt thinking I am going to win it. Took me 40 plus years of trying to figure that out and I promise I have had dogs that could tree coons with anybody's. But hey y'all keep trying.

Tar

Old Post 05-19-2018 05:32 PM
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Mr Williams the funny thing is back in the day we had every style of dog that you got now. We had babblers , deep and alone , we had edge runners , we had cover late get ate !! Buuuuuut we only had rules ( ukc ) that it wasn't in a dogs best interest to do those things. You had 300 dogs at a lot of major hunts that you had to have the most plus points to beat them. Local hunts at least you had to beat 60 dogs for your first place. No elimination style no enter up and get a second chance. Now with any game you get people that figure out how to maximize their chances of winning with the rules in place any time you have big $$$$$ on the line you will find people with deep pockets that will spend $30,000 to win $30,000. I can't compete with that even with a coondog my chances of buying a $2 quick pick and winning the lottery are just about as good as me driving to the world hunt thinking I am going to win it. Took me 40 plus years of trying to figure that out and I promise I have had dogs that could tree coons with anybody's. But hey y'all keep trying.

Tar

Tar. Things have changed. You can say one thing and I can twist it around. That's why this is a never ending argument that noone will agree on. Two years ago we went to walker days and hunted 3 night with dot. Night # 1 she won her cast with 1 coon and was found after the hunt over 1.5 with another one. Next night no coon was scored. We found her after hunt 1.7 under a coon. Night 3 she scored 750 plus and was highest scoring dog there all weekend. Was alone and had first tree ever drop. But never over 1/2 mile. Why did she score 750 by pkc rules that night and not the other. Waybe we were in coon I don't know. Guide has everything to do with high scores.

Old Post 05-19-2018 07:13 PM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
Not true.

Do you just repeat what you hear on the internet when discussing coon hunting?

post a few garmin screen shots of your dead loner's tracks. They will be staight lines then a sharp turn when ol loner winds a hot one, then treed. Or ol loner runs the edge or fence row or worse the road. Im sure a few deep and alone work for the track but the keyword is few.

Old Post 05-19-2018 07:14 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by N Williams
Tar. Things have changed. You can say one thing and I can twist it around. That's why this is a never ending argument that noone will agree on. Two years ago we went to walker days and hunted 3 night with dot. Night # 1 she won her cast with 1 coon and was found after the hunt over 1.5 with another one. Next night no coon was scored. We found her after hunt 1.7 under a coon. Night 3 she scored 750 plus and was highest scoring dog there all weekend. Was alone and had first tree ever drop. But never over 1/2 mile. Why did she score 750 by pkc rules that night and not the other. Waybe we were in coon I don't know. Guide has everything to do with high scores.

Me is trying to tell you the same thing you are telling me lol. Those dogs that win big fit those rules plus tree coons too. For example on anouther thread that guy lol said he drew a dog said he had 2nd strike 1rst tree with the coon 200 yards from the truck the other dog had 1rst strike 1rst tree with the coon 1.5 miles from the truck so that dog must have been struck on the babble and left the world. And then he said they both got beat ? So the other dog that beat them must have treed more coons than them while they were being dead loners that's what I read might not be the case.

Those guys don't buy $1,200 dogs to win $50,000 hunts !

Tar

Old Post 05-19-2018 07:30 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by micooner
post a few garmin screen shots of your dead loner's tracks. They will be staight lines then a sharp turn when ol loner winds a hot one, then treed. Or ol loner runs the edge or fence row or worse the road. Im sure a few deep and alone work for the track but the keyword is few.

Wanna bet?

Old Post 05-19-2018 07:37 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
Wanna bet?

Don't do it it's a trap !!!!

Tar

Old Post 05-19-2018 07:44 PM
micooner
UKC Forum Member

Lmbo

Old Post 05-19-2018 07:50 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

Theres plenty out here of both kind. But very few coon dogs of any kind

Old Post 05-19-2018 07:59 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Don't do it it's a trap !!!!

Tar

Coon hunters never pay their bets anyways. I'm still waiting on money from Mayweather vs McGregor fight from about 3 of them.

Old Post 05-19-2018 08:20 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Yeah but I know better than to bet you they don't lol.

Tar

Old Post 05-19-2018 08:30 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

I'd say it depends on the dog. Some are very very fast track dogs. Some are independent because they're the jealous type, and some of those are very slow. I prefer one that is indifferent about other dogs. One that will think for itself. But will a piece if yours if it gets struck out of the truck. Then after that will be alone most of the time.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 05-20-2018 10:02 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daniel urffer
UKC Forum Member

SOUTHERN STYLE

I owned Southern Style for awhile and I can guarantee you he was a loaner and I also can guarantee you that he could run, pop, lay, track, or grub any kind of coon up. Just saying this to argue the fact that all loaners just hunt straight and pop coons is BS.

Old Post 05-20-2018 11:20 PM
daniel urffer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for daniel urffer Click here to Send daniel urffer a Private Message Click Here to Email daniel urffer Find more posts by daniel urffer Add daniel urffer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: SOUTHERN STYLE

quote:
Originally posted by daniel urffer
I owned Southern Style for awhile and I can guarantee you he was a loaner and I also can guarantee you that he could run, pop, lay, track, or grub any kind of coon up. Just saying this to argue the fact that all loaners just hunt straight and pop coons is BS.

I have hunted in casts where dogs never went over 600-700 yards between trees and all 4 of them were alone. Are there some straight line hunters that are loners.....sure, but they aren't as common as people on the internet believe

Old Post 05-20-2018 11:25 PM
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Re: SOUTHERN STYLE

quote:
Originally posted by daniel urffer

Ok. Just to bring back my original question, how do you know what kind of track it could run? Being alone, was his "grub any kind of track"... Was nothing more than trouble with a medium track since there was nothing to compare him with.
Could he move a track 1/2 mile in January when the boars were rutting. All I am asking is, how do you know... Without a measuring stick, how do you know?

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 05-21-2018 12:18 AM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
S.Davis
UKC Forum Member

I love the fact that some ppl truly believe that some dogs are made to be loaners or they are jealous and wont go hunting with other dogs i call bull spit most are born that way some are made that way but it is but we can argue til we blue in the face I like the loaners and some like the me too ers lol

Old Post 05-21-2018 12:20 AM
S.Davis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for S.Davis Click here to Send S.Davis a Private Message Click Here to Email S.Davis Find more posts by S.Davis Add S.Davis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I call bull spit on that Sam lol !! Just because a dog Isn't a dead loner don't mean it's a meetooer!! Remember what dark did too em ? I have had the pleasure of owning two like her father and son if dogs missed the coon trail right by them without throwing a locate but if a dog out ran them they would stop take what points was available then might be alone on the next one it's called being in the right place at the right time. Growing up if you wasn't at the table at the right time you didn't get no supper and it was a long time till breakfast just sayen.

Tar

Old Post 05-21-2018 12:49 AM
joey
UKC Forum Member

I want one thats going to do what ever it needs to do no matter the company. They all have a certain skill set and they just need to be good at what ever that skill set is, if thats being hot nosed thats fine. Just be good at it. I got a young dog out of hardwood patch and a gyp out of Lipper. I dont think she has ever covered another dog. Friday night I watched her two different time go right by dogs treed and never check them. I didnt do it to her she has always been that way and thats fine with me, but that is a blood line that comes way before the independent dogs. So where did it come from?

Something else I'm learning about these deep going dogs. Everyone definition of deep is not the same.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 05-21-2018 12:49 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Being how hides are worthless and have been for years these low scores are because dogs are split up time you get them rounded up the hunt is over. You should be able in good coon woods hunt 2 hrs in a mile section not be a mile in in 15 minutes. Sometimes in this junk I hunt 500 yards is to deep. Bring ole deep and alone down here for a week I will stay at the truck and hoot you out you won't like your dog no more I promise.

Tar

Old Post 05-21-2018 01:20 AM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

to answer the question. idk about anyone else but if i hunt a dog enough nites i can tell what kind of track dog it is with or without company. if i hunt them with a dog i am already familiar with it takes a lot less time but it can be done alone with or without company but u have to be honest about your evaluation and have experience. evaluating tracking is very complicated so not everyone can do it well.

Old Post 05-21-2018 01:40 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

after all look at how everyone is sidetracked. lol

Old Post 05-21-2018 01:41 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote