UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Venomous snakes
Pages (8): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I've never eaten water moccasin but did eat some alligator once. The gator tasted good. seems one could let their treeing dog act as bait. Set back and wait for supper.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-03-2016 06:13 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by croatankid
I've never eaten water moccasin but did eat some alligator once. The gator tasted good. seems one could let their treeing dog act as bait. Set back and wait for supper.

in theory you are right. Problem is that gator blast so fast out the water you may never know he is there until gone. Ole Fido may not like being the bait .LOL.

I don't like a gator, but they really are amazing animals when it come to surviving. A hook and week old dead decaying chicken will get him everytime. They don't pass up a meal very often.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 08-04-2016 01:15 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LSO1103
UKC Forum Member

snakes

Killed these 3 in one night this year while going from one drop to another. I don't recall ever actually seeing one in the woods while coon hunting but a good friend of mine narrowly missed getting bit by a timber rattler this summer while hunting one of our spots. It actually struck at him and missed. I asked him if he killed it, he said don't know, I shot at it 3 times while I was running away. LOL

Old Post 08-04-2016 03:45 PM
LSO1103 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LSO1103 Click here to Send LSO1103 a Private Message Click Here to Email LSO1103 Find more posts by LSO1103 Add LSO1103 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

We don't have copperheads where I live but grew up with a few in South Texas. Does anyone ever know of a grown hound ever dying from the bite of a copperhead?
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 08-04-2016 07:14 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well Started
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Gary Roberson
We don't have copperheads where I live but grew up with a few in South Texas. Does anyone ever know of a grown hound ever dying from the bite of a copperhead?
Adios,
Gary

I haven't. Had a few bit by them over the yrs. Swell up bad and lethargic for a day or 2 but that's about it.

Rattlers as I'm sure you're aware of living in Texas, is a different story. Timber rattlers are not as bad as the big bad eastern diamondback, but regardless can cause permanent nerve and muscle damage if not death. A 39 yr old man died from a rattlesnake bite here in PA last yr.

Old Post 08-04-2016 07:51 PM
Well Started is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Well Started Click here to Send Well Started a Private Message Find more posts by Well Started Add Well Started to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve Raleigh
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
It's getting out of hand around here I killed 2 copperhead in the yard last night and another while mowing today!

Try using Sulfur Powder on your yard/property lines....It is CHEAP and "supposed" to repel snakes.

PKC GCH CHKC CH Wipeout 3 Bee
(Z3 x Bell)

PKC CH CHKC CH Rush Run Lil
(Nuck x Lilly)

PKC SCH CHKC CH Wipeout Shorty

Past Home of:

2012 FALL SENIOR SS CH.
GRNITECH PKC PLATINUM CH
MISTER OVERDRIVE
(Drive X Missy)

GRNITECH PKC GOLD CH Kate
(Jack X Jill)

2013 IL PKC State Race Ch.
GRNITECH PKC GOLD CH Little Miss Dottie
(Mr.Jack X Bit)

GRNITECH Curlee Jane
2018 UKC Bluetick World Ch
2018 Fall Round Up Ch
2018 Winter Classic Ch
2017 Battle of The Breeds Ch

NITECH 2018 PKC YOUTH WORLD CH PKC SILVER CH Dirty South Side

GRNITECH PKC SILVER CH SKUNA RIVER QUICK
(Fred X Sue)

GRNITECH Stylish Chase
(Clyde X Patty)

GRNITECH PKC SILVER CH Foggy Mtn. Gomer

UKC GrSqCh NKC GrSqCh Dirt Dodge's Jager

Old Post 08-04-2016 09:15 PM
Steve Raleigh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steve Raleigh Click here to Send Steve Raleigh a Private Message Click Here to Email Steve Raleigh Find more posts by Steve Raleigh Add Steve Raleigh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

Sulfur powder is good for ticks but had not heard that it repels snakes...learn something everyday.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 08-04-2016 09:53 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hayseedlady
UKC Forum Member

The pup was raising hell yesterday, she was tracking a smaller timber rattler through the yard. It tried to curl up for a nap in the lilac bush.

Old Post 08-04-2016 11:57 PM
Hayseedlady is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hayseedlady Click here to Send Hayseedlady a Private Message Click Here to Email Hayseedlady Find more posts by Hayseedlady Add Hayseedlady to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Well Started

. A 39 yr old man died from a rattlesnake bite here in PA last yr.

Good lord I didn't know there was poisonous snakes in PA. I was told there wasn't when I hunted there or I wouldn't have been lol. Statewide ? I've hunted with Daviduk and Fred Moran in the southwestern part of the state. I had just come from Abbott's in West Virginia, which wasn't far down the road, and Kenny made it clear there was lots there. Ole Fred wouldn't lie to s fella would he Lmao

Old Post 08-05-2016 02:51 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I heard that moth balls will repel snakes too.

Old Post 08-05-2016 05:53 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
So a male moth should never be bitten by a snake.

Old Post 08-05-2016 06:33 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve Raleigh
UKC Forum Member

quote:

That "should" work for smaller specific spaces such as under your porch steps or crawl space etc.

PKC GCH CHKC CH Wipeout 3 Bee
(Z3 x Bell)

PKC CH CHKC CH Rush Run Lil
(Nuck x Lilly)

PKC SCH CHKC CH Wipeout Shorty

Past Home of:

2012 FALL SENIOR SS CH.
GRNITECH PKC PLATINUM CH
MISTER OVERDRIVE
(Drive X Missy)

GRNITECH PKC GOLD CH Kate
(Jack X Jill)

2013 IL PKC State Race Ch.
GRNITECH PKC GOLD CH Little Miss Dottie
(Mr.Jack X Bit)

GRNITECH Curlee Jane
2018 UKC Bluetick World Ch
2018 Fall Round Up Ch
2018 Winter Classic Ch
2017 Battle of The Breeds Ch

NITECH 2018 PKC YOUTH WORLD CH PKC SILVER CH Dirty South Side

GRNITECH PKC SILVER CH SKUNA RIVER QUICK
(Fred X Sue)

GRNITECH Stylish Chase
(Clyde X Patty)

GRNITECH PKC SILVER CH Foggy Mtn. Gomer

UKC GrSqCh NKC GrSqCh Dirt Dodge's Jager

Old Post 08-05-2016 07:02 PM
Steve Raleigh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steve Raleigh Click here to Send Steve Raleigh a Private Message Click Here to Email Steve Raleigh Find more posts by Steve Raleigh Add Steve Raleigh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

Small spaces for sure though I was at the hardware store when a women was buying every box of moth balls they had. She had a house on emerld island and was scard of snakes. It wouldn't be practical for a national forest.

Old Post 08-05-2016 11:51 PM
Well Started
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
Good lord I didn't know there was poisonous snakes in PA. I was told there wasn't when I hunted there or I wouldn't have been lol. Statewide ? I've hunted with Daviduk and Fred Moran in the southwestern part of the state. I had just come from Abbott's in West Virginia, which wasn't far down the road, and Kenny made it clear there was lots there. Ole Fred wouldn't lie to s fella would he Lmao

Haha. I hate em about that bad also, try not to think about it. Rattlesnakes and copperheads statewide. Rattlesnakes can be avoided around here if you stay off the mountains and stick to ridges in warm weather. Copperheads can turn up just about anywhere but I'll be honest I haven't ran across 1 in yrs.

Old Post 08-06-2016 12:32 AM
Well Started is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Well Started Click here to Send Well Started a Private Message Find more posts by Well Started Add Well Started to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Haha. I hate em about that bad also, try not to think about it. Rattlesnakes and copperheads statewide. Rattlesnakes can be avoided around here if you stay off the mountains and stick to ridges in warm weather. Copperheads can turn up just about anywhere but I'll be honest I haven't ran across 1 in yrs.

I didn't realize there was poisonous snakes that far up, never seen any in any of my travels

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 08-06-2016 01:02 AM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:

And to think I went to zones in PA and didn't make the trip to NC cause of the snakes lol.

Old Post 08-06-2016 01:13 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well Started
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Autumn Clements
I didn't realize there was poisonous snakes that far up, never seen any in any of my travels

Oh yeah. There's probably 8-9 yearly rattlesnake round ups in PA, bout half of them are in the Northern part of the state, some getting real close to NY state.

That said it's not like they're crawling everywhere. These people are out on mountains in the summertime flipping rocks looking for them. I don't even like looking at the pictures from those round ups. Just reminds me the bastids are out there. Lol.

Old Post 08-06-2016 02:29 AM
lauraroeder
UKC Forum Member

as a young girl,

in central Fla. (Lake Placid) I always wondered why do rattlesnakes always rattle after I went by....LOL!!! I must of been missed about half a dozen times and would hear that rattle and run like heck! LOL!

dropped my fishing pole one time and ran away yelling for my granddad...I had hooked a water moccasin! rofl! caught another one standing on lake shore, towards dusk. it was the same deal...dropped my pole and ran away. LOL! but I did take a peak just to be sure. LOL! caught a gar fish and was afraid to unhook so pedaled my bike with him for granddad to again unhook this nasty fish. I was sure a tomboy. would pedal my bike, no hands on handle bars and fly home with all kinds of critters. would just hop off bike, and it would stop when it hit something. like a pine tree. ol handle bars were bent and I'd straighten up and take off again. I got a tongue lashing when I brought home a live armadillo. just dug him from under a tree...grabbed his tail...and flew on home !! LOL!!! but I don't mess with snakes!!! or gators.

AMAZEN COONHOUNDS

Last edited by lauraroeder on 08-06-2016 at 02:54 AM

Old Post 08-06-2016 02:47 AM
lauraroeder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lauraroeder Click here to Send lauraroeder a Private Message Find more posts by lauraroeder Add lauraroeder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

No coonhunting tonight. Went snake hunting in and around the yard and killed 3 copperheads. 2 last night one Mafia had bayed by his dog house.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-13-2017 03:57 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chad spencer
UKC Forum Member

Keep them on the west end of the county. Glad I don't look for the darn things I know there here and I don't wanna find one

Old Post 07-13-2017 04:47 AM
Chad spencer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chad spencer Click here to Send Chad spencer a Private Message Find more posts by Chad spencer Add Chad spencer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Dave some snakes in Tx. Walk. lol Could not help myself. The devil made me say it.

Old Post 07-13-2017 12:57 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ItsOlMander
UKC Forum Member

i see poisonous snakes fairly often, some places worse than others.... mainly cottonmouths, the occasional pigmy rattler, and every once in a while i see a diamondback. last trip to the river i saw a gator too.

- In Loving Memory of -
DEEP SPRINGS BLACK MAX
&
LEVIS SOUTHERN BLUE DOC

Old Post 07-13-2017 01:56 PM
ItsOlMander is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsOlMander Click here to Send ItsOlMander a Private Message Find more posts by ItsOlMander Add ItsOlMander to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Three days ago my 4 mos old pups were barking like crazy in my back yard so I went out to see what was going on. They had a big copperhead bayed up. He was coiled up and striking at them. I got a shovel and killed him. He bit the meanest pup on the neck and it was swelled up terribly the next morning. He looked pitiful but I gave him a bunch of Benadryl and he was fine by the next day.

Old Post 07-13-2017 03:51 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

If you could fence in your area. A couple of hogs will take of the snakes.

Old Post 07-13-2017 10:29 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Roy Grant
If you could fence in your area. A couple of hogs will take of the snakes.
If that's true , the south should be snake free in a short while.

Old Post 07-13-2017 11:01 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote