UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Garmin Tip of the Day
Pages (17): « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
davidmustang
UKC Forum Member

part two of question. Is there anyway to see how much I walked that night. I know it keeps the dog total distance, but what about me?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-23-2016 11:27 PM
davidmustang is offline Click Here to See the Profile for davidmustang Click here to Send davidmustang a Private Message Click Here to Email davidmustang Find more posts by davidmustang Add davidmustang to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

Go into track manager and it times and dates the different tracks. You can tel it to view the track on the GPS or you can download different tracks to GARMIN ADVENTURE.

This is where interface with base camp comes in as you can download different tracks and then see just how fast your were traveling and determine the distance. Each track is broken down into a few second interval and you can see just what is going on.

Old Post 01-24-2016 01:42 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Turman_Creek
UKC Forum Member

I locked my alpha 100 now it wont unlock.

TURMAN CREEK HOUNDS
  • JOE THOMPSON
  • TURMAN CREEK BANDIT (BUCK)- TURMAN CREEK CRAZY KATE)

Old Post 01-30-2016 02:56 AM
Turman_Creek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Turman_Creek Click here to Send Turman_Creek a Private Message Click Here to Email Turman_Creek Find more posts by Turman_Creek Add Turman_Creek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Turman_Creek
UKC Forum Member

I fix it. Had a small brier stuck between the screen and frame. Thanks It is nice to know some one will help.

TURMAN CREEK HOUNDS
  • JOE THOMPSON
  • TURMAN CREEK BANDIT (BUCK)- TURMAN CREEK CRAZY KATE)

Old Post 01-30-2016 03:39 AM
Turman_Creek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Turman_Creek Click here to Send Turman_Creek a Private Message Click Here to Email Turman_Creek Find more posts by Turman_Creek Add Turman_Creek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

Thats only the second time I have heard of that. Had a Gentleman call a week ago with his screen froze up and after checking several things it was determined his screen rector was putting pressure on the screen in one of the corners. The tip we had that it was froze was the box for the lock in the lower corner had a orange/red square around it that only comes on when your using it.

Old Post 01-30-2016 11:28 AM
pete
UKC Forum Member

garmin alpha minis--big problems

my minis will lose gps signal and not work afterwards--- they will show on map and compass page--- usually says there moving but bearing and distance doesnt change-- varies from 75 yard to 1.5 miles-- go there and they are not there-- - they will show one bar of gps and a single slow blink on collar--other collars same place same time working fine- - most the time this is permanent until you can turn them off and on again- sometimes when you turn them back on and they are very slow to regain gps signal- occasinally i have deleted and reentered to dog list because i just couldnt wait any longer--ive updated collars and handhelds regularly-- one collar takes latest update----but loses it if you look in xml file--- that collar is the best of the 3- ,,so really hate to send it back--- ive exchanged collars-and new ones the same or worse- ive sent files to garmin- this is going on for months-- on the average it happens 2-3 times a week between 3 collars---ive called garmin and they advised changing ids ,that didnt help-- i have a couple full size tt15s that have only failed 3 times since august--- i sent one of those back - so--- my dealer tells me im the only one with this problem and ive found out that isnt true- been trying for months to get this fixed-- my dealer says be patient--- well my patience has got very thin-- im hoping somebody from garmin or maybe another dealer would take some interest in this and help me out--- if anybody is haveing this same issue or has any answers please contact me- pete richardson- 802- 754- 1084-

Old Post 02-02-2016 04:17 PM
pete is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pete Click here to Send pete a Private Message Click Here to Email pete Visit pete's homepage! Find more posts by pete Add pete to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

I would think you dealer should replace it for you. They have a year warranty. With that said if he doesn't then call Garmin at 1800-800-1020 and they will replace them.

Old Post 02-02-2016 05:46 PM
pete
UKC Forum Member

replaced 2 collars-- new ones same problem --- garmin just called me--- they do care, -- thats all i ask is i know thyre working on it-

Old Post 02-02-2016 06:30 PM
pete is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pete Click here to Send pete a Private Message Click Here to Email pete Visit pete's homepage! Find more posts by pete Add pete to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Budd Denny
UKC Forum Member

I have and still am spending hours on the phone and computer with Garmin, they are working on these issue's.

Old Post 02-03-2016 06:51 PM
Budd Denny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Budd Denny Click here to Send Budd Denny a Private Message Find more posts by Budd Denny Add Budd Denny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Davis
UKC Forum Member

Re: garmin alpha minis--big problems

quote:
Originally posted by pete
my minis will lose gps signal and not work afterwards--- they will show on map and compass page--- usually says there moving but bearing and distance doesnt change-- varies from 75 yard to 1.5 miles-- go there and they are not there-- - they will show one bar of gps and a single slow blink on collar--other collars same place same time working fine- - most the time this is permanent until you can turn them off and on again- sometimes when you turn them back on and they are very slow to regain gps signal- occasinally i have deleted and reentered to dog list because i just couldnt wait any longer--ive updated collars and handhelds regularly-- one collar takes latest update----but loses it if you look in xml file--- that collar is the best of the 3- ,,so really hate to send it back--- ive exchanged collars-and new ones the same or worse- ive sent files to garmin- this is going on for months-- on the average it happens 2-3 times a week between 3 collars---ive called garmin and they advised changing ids ,that didnt help-- i have a couple full size tt15s that have only failed 3 times since august--- i sent one of those back - so--- my dealer tells me im the only one with this problem and ive found out that isnt true- been trying for months to get this fixed-- my dealer says be patient--- well my patience has got very thin-- im hoping somebody from garmin or maybe another dealer would take some interest in this and help me out--- if anybody is haveing this same issue or has any answers please contact me- pete richardson- 802- 754- 1084-

If this happens again try putting it in sleep mode and waking it back up. This happened to my collar one time and it was a quicker fix than having to get to the dog to turn the collar off and back on again. To put in sleep mode select that collars info and hit menu button it should say collar sleep mode under the menu for that collar.

Old Post 02-03-2016 07:23 PM
Corey Davis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Davis Click here to Send Corey Davis a Private Message Click Here to Email Corey Davis Visit Corey Davis's homepage! Find more posts by Corey Davis Add Corey Davis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

I have an Alpha and when using the other night, I noticed this small blue pin pointer that showed up on my screen. This blue pin followed my dogs wherever they went on my map page. How do I turn that feature off??

I thought I seen this addressed a couple to three weeks ago but for the life of me I cannot find it now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 02-05-2016 06:51 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rocketman55
I have an Alpha and when using the other night, I noticed this small blue pin pointer that showed up on my screen. This blue pin followed my dogs wherever they went on my map page. How do I turn that feature off??

I thought I seen this addressed a couple to three weeks ago but for the life of me I cannot find it now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Yeah,Bruce had on the other post the only way to get rid of blue pin,,is to turn unit off,,then back on,,and it should be gone,,the blue pin came on mine afew months ago,,I did a restore. Default and turned it off,,then back on,and it was gone,,I didn't know which did the trick,,but found out after Bruce posted to turn off then on

Browns Wild Irish Rose(Tequila Sunrise x Stylish Abagal)
Browns Stylish Buddy(Stylish Bushwacker x Browns Wild Irish Rose) pup
Browns Stylish Sissy(Stylish Bushwacker x Browns Wild Irish Rose) pup

Old Post 02-05-2016 07:40 PM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Kevin, Your help is very much appreciated!!!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 02-05-2016 11:24 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coonhunter, MO
UKC Forum Member

dc-30 collars

Question for Bruce or Garmin GURU'S, I have 4 dc-30 collars I use coyote hunting, my question is i'am loosing signal more often than I have been. I have never updated the collars. If I update do you think that will help or do I need to change antennas, I use a magnet long antenna on truck and have always got good signal till here lately. I have the original antennas on them. I also use a 320 with them. Any suggestions APP.

Old Post 02-07-2016 08:17 PM
coonhunter, MO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonhunter, MO Click here to Send coonhunter, MO a Private Message Find more posts by coonhunter, MO Add coonhunter, MO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

I would go with the after market antennas and you will be surprised at the difference.

Old Post 02-07-2016 08:33 PM
pete
UKC Forum Member

mini

If this happens again try putting it in sleep mode and waking it back up.
thanks corey - i will try it next time-- i put about 40 miles on them this weekend with no big issues--- --one lost gps for about 15 minutes but came back-----didnt shut down-

Old Post 02-08-2016 11:10 AM
pete
UKC Forum Member

mini

If this happens again try putting it in sleep mode and waking it back up.
thanks corey - i will try it next time-- i put about 40 miles on them this weekend with no big issues--- --one lost gps for about 15 minutes but came back-----didnt shut down-

Old Post 02-08-2016 11:10 AM
Trigger303
UKC Forum Member

While hunting, if you switch to compass from map the arrow will point toward the dog and give you a yardage.
My question is, once I get to the tree and get ready to go back toward the truck or some other way point, is there a way to make the compass point toward a waypoint rather than just the dog?

It is relatively easy to know what direction to walk to if your dog is treeing, just walk to the sound, the problem comes in once you get there and have to get back to the truck. Surely there is some way to make the garmin do this and I just havent figured it out.

What I am doing now is looking on the map, finding the direction I need to be going to get back to the truck then selecting line of sight guide to keep me going in that direction, however this takes a minute to do, whereas if the compass could be set to point in the direction of a waypoint it would make life much easier, bc lining up the garmin on line of sight while holding a dog a gun and the garmin aint easy!

Using the Garmin Alpha

'PR' Chunky River Red Ruby
'PR' Chunky River Skuna Jill

Old Post 02-08-2016 07:59 PM
Trigger303 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trigger303 Click here to Send Trigger303 a Private Message Click Here to Email Trigger303 Find more posts by Trigger303 Add Trigger303 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

Two ways it can be done.

I like using the map and it is because I generally have to dodge things getting to the dog and I do some chopping with the machete to make things easier. That way also coming out with a dog is easier. If I have to dodge around a pond I have done that also. When I use the map my trail is laid as I go to the dog. I just select the map screen and follow the trail I put down out. Get off a little and it is easy to get right back on your trail.

Another way. Just mark the truck or mark it when you start and new hunt when turning out. When you are at the tree select WAYPOINT MANAGER and select the point you want to walk to. Tell it to go and it will draw a pink line on your map page to the truck. I know the 320 would put a dot by the compass to walk to but I haven't used that on the alpha yet. I will test it out tonight when I get some collars hooked and distance from me and the truck.

Your answer. Once you have started navigation as mentioned above from your home page select COMPASS and it will take you to a page with a compass to follow. The diamond points to where you want to go but make sure your compass is calibrated.

Last edited by on 02-08-2016 at 09:03 PM

Old Post 02-08-2016 08:48 PM
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

Mr Bruce

Most hunters can't believe the conditions you hunt in. You know you don't need nothing to getback to the truck after you CHOP your way into the tree the trail back out is WELL marked. My hat is off to yawl hunting in those CLEAN woods. SEE YEA. H L

Old Post 02-09-2016 01:38 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Max LeBleu
UKC Forum Member

Triggar303

I use the compass all the time to get out of the woods.

Mark the location you want to come back to. When ready to head out just select "Where to" and then select "waypoints" and now select the waypoint you want to return to.

You then simply select compass and the arrow will be pointing to the waypoint you selected.

To make it easier I customized my homepage where the compass button and any other apps/buttons that I frequently use show up on the first page. This keeps you from having to scroll down to find the compass button.

Also if you ever forget to mark where you want to come back to you can drop a pin to the area you want to return to. After putting the pin where you want on the map you can touch the box at the top of the screen and a "go" button will pop up at the bottom of the screen. Select "go" and then go back to your compass and it will be pointing to the place you dropped the pin.

I have never had an issue with the compass not bringing me back to the selected waypoint even if I haven't calibrated my compass in a while.

The Garmin Alpha is a great tool. How did we do without them.

Hope this helps!

Old Post 02-09-2016 02:13 PM
Max LeBleu is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Max LeBleu Click here to Send Max LeBleu a Private Message Click Here to Email Max LeBleu Find more posts by Max LeBleu Add Max LeBleu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trigger303
UKC Forum Member

thanks to all of yall. The alpha is my first unit to have so I am behind the curve on learning all the things it will do.

Old Post 02-09-2016 03:37 PM
Trigger303 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trigger303 Click here to Send Trigger303 a Private Message Click Here to Email Trigger303 Find more posts by Trigger303 Add Trigger303 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trigger303
UKC Forum Member

"Clean Woods"

quote:
Originally posted by H. L. Meyer
Most hunters can't believe the conditions you hunt in. You know you don't need nothing to getback to the truck after you CHOP your way into the tree the trail back out is WELL marked. My hat is off to yawl hunting in those CLEAN woods. SEE YEA. H L

I'm interested in these "clean woods" you speak of. We chop with machete's most of the way and its so thick if you turn around you, you cant tell where you just chopped!

Old Post 02-09-2016 03:46 PM
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

well,well.

Just a joke if you know what I mean. I don't know anything about your woods nor Bruces BUT I have 2 friend in different parts of FL. so I was assuming his just might be a little like theirs and if they are you sure don't need to do dothing but follow the trail out. YOU KNOW what I am saying don't you?

Old Post 02-09-2016 11:46 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pete
UKC Forum Member

we have spruce fir thickets here --if you can get in there-- the good thing is you can fall down but youll nevr hit the ground ,, just kinda leaning - - lol my problems have been slightly less lately- with minis - -- i have one collar that has quit 3 times in last two weeks -- the last time i couldnt get it to work until reloaded software- im giveing up on that one - sending it back to garmin today to exchange- i tried the sleep mode trick -- didnt work for me---actually lost sleep mode out of menu for that collar --- garmin said thats normal--- if its not hooking up--

my other two minis have been a little off a few times- - but never totally stopped working -- i had a hare run two miles straight out one day ---- take a left turn following a brook for roughly a mile- and start circling again 2.3 miles away - didnt drop signal at all i was pretty impressed by that - same day had one come back and go out fartherr and farther - thicker cover and gps was off and on but was on probably 90 % of the time --- again they ended up 2.3 miles but in opposite direction -- --i dont know if thats farthest ive ever had one run but i know it is farthest ive seen since ive had gps collars- my average distance with astros in same cover is about 1000 yards - good day .75 miles - im talking handheld in the woods range----not best case --just average - and these minis when they work are about twice the range- same conditions-

Old Post 02-12-2016 11:20 AM