UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dog shaking head
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Fire Archer
UKC Forum Member

Dog shaking head

Dog has been shaking his head for quite a while now. He doesn't dig at his ears or rub them on anything, just shakes his head. They don't really have an odor and look clean inside. I've had him to vet twice now. He says its an infection. First, he had me to try Zymox. That didn't seem to help. So I took him back couple weeks ago. He gave him a steroid shot and Oti-pack ear treatment. That is not seeming to help. Any suggestions? I have read on here about Listerine and may try it next.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-22-2018 09:08 PM
Fire Archer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fire Archer Click here to Send Fire Archer a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Archer Add Fire Archer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JesseJ
UKC Forum Member

EARS

Get hold of Kevin Pruemer a lot of people have used his medication with good results. Think he is on the hound supply site.

Old Post 03-22-2018 09:46 PM
JesseJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JesseJ Click here to Send JesseJ a Private Message Click Here to Email JesseJ Find more posts by JesseJ Add JesseJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ronnie meisner
New UKC Forum Member

I have used r-7 ear cleaner for years.My supplier went out of business but you should have no problem to get it state side.Every time one of my dogs started shaking their heads I would use this for a few days.Always worked for me

Old Post 03-23-2018 01:30 AM
ronnie meisner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ronnie meisner Click here to Send ronnie meisner a Private Message Click Here to Email ronnie meisner Find more posts by ronnie meisner Add ronnie meisner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dog shaking head

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fire Archer
Dog has been shaking his head for quite a while now. He doesn't dig at his ears or rub them on anything, just shakes his head. They don't really have an odor and look clean inside. I've had him to vet twice now. He says its an infection. First, he had me to try Zymox. That didn't seem to help. So I took him back couple weeks ago. He gave him a steroid shot and Oti-pack ear treatment. That is not seeming to help. Any suggestions? I have read on here about Listerine and may try it next. [/QUOT
LYSTERINE,IT IS A ANTICEPTIC

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 03-23-2018 02:31 AM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Miltons
UKC Forum Member

Monistat vaginal cream works great if the dog has a yeast infection in the ears. Which is more of a common cause of head shaking in hounds than most probably think. You'll need to clean the ears first. Apple cider vinegar water mix works well. Just Google.....vagisil for dogs ears. That will give you better instructions than I will. It really does work!!! Male or female. Good luck!

Old Post 03-23-2018 04:07 PM
Pat Miltons is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Miltons Click here to Send Pat Miltons a Private Message Click Here to Email Pat Miltons Find more posts by Pat Miltons Add Pat Miltons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssgied
UKC Forum Member

Are you feeding a grain based feed?

Old Post 03-23-2018 04:52 PM
ssgied is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssgied Click here to Send ssgied a Private Message Click Here to Email ssgied Find more posts by ssgied Add ssgied to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kevin Pruemer
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Jesse!

Ph# 217-925-5543 or Email pruemkevin42@hotmail.com

We accept cash,check,or money order

Thanks for your business

Old Post 03-24-2018 02:14 PM
Kevin Pruemer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin Pruemer Click here to Send Kevin Pruemer a Private Message Click Here to Email Kevin Pruemer Find more posts by Kevin Pruemer Add Kevin Pruemer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Monistat vaginal cream works great if the dog has a yeast infection in the ears. Which is more of a common cause of head shaking in hounds than most probably think. You'll need to clean the ears first. Apple cider vinegar water mix works well.

X2 ,.. more yeast problems than mite problem.

Old Post 03-24-2018 07:54 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fire Archer
UKC Forum Member

I will give these a try. Thanks.

Old Post 03-25-2018 02:54 PM
Fire Archer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fire Archer Click here to Send Fire Archer a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Archer Add Fire Archer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Sawyer
UKC Forum Member

I have a young dog shaking his head as you described have you found something that works yet?

Old Post 05-05-2018 01:48 AM
Nathan Sawyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Sawyer Click here to Send Nathan Sawyer a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Sawyer Add Nathan Sawyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

Go to the vendor page and get some earsolve

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Old Post 05-05-2018 05:06 AM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: EARS

quote:
Originally posted by JesseJ
Get hold of Kevin Pruemer a lot of people have used his medication with good results. Think he is on the hound supply site.

I had a dog shaking his head really bad, I started him on some of this stuff Kevin Sells......It stopped him from shaking his head after 2 days. It Works....!!!
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 05-05-2018 02:00 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Fire Archer
Dog has been shaking his head for quite a while now. He doesn't dig at his ears or rub them on anything, just shakes his head. They don't really have an odor and look clean inside. I've had him to vet twice now. He says its an infection. First, he had me to try Zymox. That didn't seem to help. So I took him back couple weeks ago. He gave him a steroid shot and Oti-pack ear treatment. That is not seeming to help. Any suggestions? I have read on here about Listerine and may try it next.
take him to another vet 4 a second opinion .

Old Post 05-09-2018 03:31 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Fire Archer

Your vet has treated for bacteria infection. If the treatment hasn't worked then it is either fungal, which can be cured by treating with an antifungal such as the monistat yeast infection cream or an athletes foot medication both which can be bought over the counter as someone else had mentioned previously. The other that is a great possibility with there being no odor is ear mites which can be cured by a drop of ivomec in each ear, I would also add a few drops of oil to each with the ivomec. Coconut, which will melt on contact with skin and also helps kill fungus, mineral or olive will all work well.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 05-09-2018 04:18 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Emily
UKC Forum Member

Try the purple power solution:
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html
don't worry about q-tips--it's almost impossible to get near the ear drum.

Antibiotics make fungal infections worse. Fungal treatments irritate bacterial infections. This stuff works on both so long as they aren't really bad. It's a good preventive too, although messy. Don't wear your good clothes when administering because the gentian violet stains really bad!

One thing that sometimes starts this cycle is wet ears. If the hound has been swimming, dry him off afterwords.
Another thing that helps, particularly if the problem is mites, is a drop or two of mineral oil or baby oil in each ear about once a week. It both soothes the irritation and suffocates mites. Also keeps the damp out of direct contact with the ear canal surface.

You can try the Miracle solution--I use that on my hounds after swim races. http://www.mearicle.com/store/pc/home.asp That's an old remedy by a houndsman that includes a drying solution.

Here's a thorough discussion of the topic: http://www.spinoneusa.com/grooming%201.htmli
I found the Thornit powder mentioned at the end worked well when one of mine had a bad case, but this site lists other home remedies as well as many possible causes.

Old Post 05-10-2018 03:10 PM
Emily is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Emily Click here to Send Emily a Private Message Click Here to Email Emily Find more posts by Emily Add Emily to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
angie/bama
UKC Forum Member

You would be surprised how many dogs have allergies and shaking their head is a symptom, if the monistat 7 cream does not work, then i would try putting the dog on a allergy pill once a day for a week, after day two you will see a huge difference if it is allergies. the monistat cream will work if it is a yeast infection, i have successfully used it on my dogs.

Old Post 05-12-2018 06:52 PM
angie/bama is offline Click Here to See the Profile for angie/bama Click here to Send angie/bama a Private Message Click Here to Email angie/bama Visit angie/bama's homepage! Find more posts by angie/bama Add angie/bama to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Craig Harris
UKC Forum Member

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/EarCleaner.html

Old Post 05-13-2018 03:39 AM
Craig Harris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Craig Harris Click here to Send Craig Harris a Private Message Click Here to Email Craig Harris Find more posts by Craig Harris Add Craig Harris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kevin Pruemer
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the positive comments!

Ph# 217-925-5543 or Email pruemkevin42@hotmail.com

We accept cash,check,or money order

Thanks for your business

Old Post 05-13-2018 04:02 PM
Kevin Pruemer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin Pruemer Click here to Send Kevin Pruemer a Private Message Click Here to Email Kevin Pruemer Find more posts by Kevin Pruemer Add Kevin Pruemer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lblhunter
UKC Forum Member

Old Post 12-22-2019 03:35 AM
lblhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lblhunter Click here to Send lblhunter a Private Message Find more posts by lblhunter Add lblhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

LYSTERINE ANTICEPTIC

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 12-22-2019 01:19 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

About a year ago I had a couple dogs get ear infections and also shaking their heads...I am pretty sure it was the dog food...swapped feed and dogs gained weight and ear infections went away amongst other ailments...

Old Post 12-22-2019 06:21 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog69
UKC Forum Member

Ruben your mail box is full

Old Post 12-24-2019 05:14 AM
treedog69 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog69 Click here to Send treedog69 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog69 Add treedog69 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Message

quote:
Originally posted by treedog69
Ruben your mail box is full

I sent you a pm..

Old Post 12-24-2019 02:42 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote