UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Treeing Walkers > The Old Blood ( Non All Grand )
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bolden1
UKC Forum Member

The Old Blood ( Non All Grand )

I hear people all the time talking bout how much better coon dogs these old fashion dogs were. They were so accurate and could trail up a week old track and tree it within 30 min.

I remember one thing with these dogs back when I was a kid. I bet I had 20 pups from different lines including lipper. The problem I had was getting them to stay treed or even treeing at all.

So my ? Is what was the percentage of getting lucking and getting one that would load up and stay hooked. Also were they naturals or was there a secret to training them. I know now days if I have a pup that's not a natural I give up on them. I know I messed up a couple times but what's the secret

2005 ukc Wldntch Grntch Bolden & Turpins
Insane jane. Handler/past owner
2005 over all setwd over all winner nt.ch
Bentley high dollar Lucy
2006 akc national pup champion Drop Dead
Fred ( Handler/ past owner)
2008 Ukc Ky State Champion Grntch High X
Pectations ( Handler / past owner)
2009 akc Ky State Champion Grntch
Hardwood X Press ( handler/ trainer)

Gr.Nt.Ch Big D & Joplins Super Sally

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-23-2014 05:25 PM
Bolden1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bolden1 Click here to Send Bolden1 a Private Message Find more posts by Bolden1 Add Bolden1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Storm99
UKC Forum Member

TIME

I know....... it can be rough!

I went to something that would load up and get Treed and stay treed! I'm young and got all the time in the world but I'm with you if they aint a natural they dont last. I cant stand feeding one till there a yr - yr and half and then start treeing there own! HATE IT! I know some guys around here tellin stories about that old blood, have to feed them till there 2 before you know if you got anything because they wont hunt when there young, they were hard to train or just were lazy in puppy life! But I heard if they had it in them at 2 they were coondogs that were hard to beat! And hunted with 1 of them when he was about 8 or 9 and he was a coondog buddie.
Cut him north and hes 2 miles south with the meat DEEP!
Thats how he hunted! He'd pass them easy ones up but was always guaranteed a coon in his tree. It was like he was trying to get away from everything and anything so he could tree his own coon but always hunted jhim by himself. Took me in some virgine territories many times.

Old Post 07-23-2014 08:27 PM
Storm99 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Storm99 Click here to Send Storm99 a Private Message Click Here to Email Storm99 Find more posts by Storm99 Add Storm99 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bolden1
UKC Forum Member

Well

I used to hunt with a old timer that past away years back that had a dog just as u described. He would pass up coons and go a mile to get treed and we were hunting in thick coons. He was spring creek rock bred.

Bentley high dollar Lucy

Old Post 07-24-2014 02:24 AM
Bolden1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bolden1 Click here to Send Bolden1 a Private Message Find more posts by Bolden1 Add Bolden1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

You guys must be a lot younger than me...I don't consider Lipper "old blood"...and the dogs you are describing, pass up easy coons???...to go tree a deep one just to be by their self??? That sure sounds like what everyone wants today to use in the competition hunts.
I started hunting with a man that was a lot older than me back in 1977. He had a little walker female that was the best dog around. This area has always had a very good coon population. We never did have a lot of coon hunters or coon dogs around here anyways, but she was the best here her entire life.
She was small and might have weighed in at 40 pounds. Didn't have a really loud mouth and wasn't no where near as fast on track as some of these dogs today, but a nice bawl on track and a nice locate and chop on tree. The entire time I hunted with her {77-82} she never ran anything but a coon. She was already 6 or 7 when I came to know her. Here's the thing that made her so great...if she barked, and she barked every time I ever hunted with her, you were going to look at a coon. Not a den, not a leafy tree or a hollow, not a hole in the ground. It was about 99% guaranteed you would see a coon.
What I wouldn't give to have her back to life today. The sad fact is that if I did most coon hunters today wouldn't care to own her. She wasn't fast and she wasn't independent. She went to the first coon and treed it and if another dog struck first she ran and treed that one.
I never knew her in her younger days as a pup but was told she ran some off game until she was about two or three {no shock collars back then, you had to run 'em down and beat the deer out of them!!!}
Nobody was concerned about when their dogs ran and treed their first coon by themselves...we always hunted several dogs together, at east two. Almost never was a dog hunted alone. About the only comment regarding a dog doing it by themselves was "if they cant do it by themselves you aint done training." I remember that the biggest challenge back then was just getting a dog to tree. That was number one and the next in line was being straight.
That quest for tree power was about solved in the 80's and I started comp hunting around 85. I remember then the big thing was having a dog that could take "tree pressure" which was another way of saying "tolerate a mean dog."
The old gal was not purple ribbon bred but had Johnson's Banjo in her pedigree, I think he was her grand sire.
There are differences in the dogs of today vs. old blood. In my lifetime I have seen the dogs get louder, tree harder, start earlier, run tracks much faster and definitely act more independent. I would say that a higher percentage of pups make the cut and that the ones that don't are sadly in the hands of some guy that expects a miracle. In fact I don't know what some of these people want, I don't even think they want a coon dog because they never seem to find one. All of these improvements in dogs are good things.
I wish some of the real old timers could see our modern dogs. I truly think they would not only be amazed but they would tell us how lucky we are. Technology is in our favor too. Imagine handing an old time coon hunter that last hunted in the 70's a Garmin Alpha and a Sunfire Ultra HD light.
There were a lot less titled dogs back then too. Three hour hunts were harder. That last hour always seemed to cost a lot of minus points and more dogs entered hunts then too. Today, if you see a Walker dog pedigree that aint all grand it's a strange thing. I remember when Logan's Wild Clover was one of if not the first dogs to be able to produce pups with everything grand in the pedigree.
Some of the differences today are funny...what we used to call the sort of rare slick tree is now a squirrel...and there seems to be a lot of squirrels these days. Dogs back then ran tracks slower too. You could always tell by the speed if it was a coon or what we used to call "fast game." That's where that term came from the speed over ground of the dog running it.

Edit: I guess I didn't really answer your questions...all dogs are naturals, you cannot teach them to tree or hunt out or run a track. You cant as a trainer adjust their nose power and you cant really force them to start hunting. I think the best way of saying it is that some are not as "natural" and wont do much of any of the above. Some are slower to rise to the task and some go right out of the gate. What you are describing is a matter more of the owner/handler/trainer and what he is willing to tolerate. Think of the dog as sort of pre-programmed and you cant really change it much. The biggest thing that little Walker female taught me was after she died...I spent the next ten years realizing just how rare a good dog is.

Last edited by msinc on 07-24-2014 at 03:37 AM

Old Post 07-24-2014 03:16 AM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Storm99
UKC Forum Member

Re: Well

quote:
Originally posted by Bolden1
I used to hunt with a old timer that past away years back that had a dog just as u described. He would pass up coons and go a mile to get treed and we were hunting in thick coons. He was spring creek rock bred.

This dog was Rock top and bottom, he was tough!

I consider old blood the stuff you cant get anymore, like the hounds that never got collected that shoulda! I dont consider Lipper semen old blood, just because they are still using him.
Night time Savage, I dont consider him Old either, He just sired a litter. It aint old if it is still being used. The dog may be dead but if your still breeding females to his seed it aint old blood!
It just takes alot of money to get what you want in a hound today and it sucks that you have to pay to enjoy a hound makin music in the woods the right way!

Old Post 07-24-2014 05:21 PM
Storm99 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Storm99 Click here to Send Storm99 a Private Message Click Here to Email Storm99 Find more posts by Storm99 Add Storm99 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Storm99
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by msinc
You guys must be a lot younger than me...I don't consider Lipper "old blood"...and the dogs you are describing, pass up easy coons???...to go tree a deep one just to be by their self??? That sure sounds like what everyone wants today to use in the competition hunts.
I started hunting with a man that was a lot older than me back in 1977. He had a little walker female that was the best dog around. This area has always had a very good coon population. We never did have a lot of coon hunters or coon dogs around here anyways, but she was the best here her entire life.
She was small and might have weighed in at 40 pounds. Didn't have a really loud mouth and wasn't no where near as fast on track as some of these dogs today, but a nice bawl on track and a nice locate and chop on tree. The entire time I hunted with her {77-82} she never ran anything but a coon. She was already 6 or 7 when I came to know her. Here's the thing that made her so great...if she barked, and she barked every time I ever hunted with her, you were going to look at a coon. Not a den, not a leafy tree or a hollow, not a hole in the ground. It was about 99% guaranteed you would see a coon.
What I wouldn't give to have her back to life today. The sad fact is that if I did most coon hunters today wouldn't care to own her. She wasn't fast and she wasn't independent. She went to the first coon and treed it and if another dog struck first she ran and treed that one.
I never knew her in her younger days as a pup but was told she ran some off game until she was about two or three {no shock collars back then, you had to run 'em down and beat the deer out of them!!!}
Nobody was concerned about when their dogs ran and treed their first coon by themselves...we always hunted several dogs together, at east two. Almost never was a dog hunted alone. About the only comment regarding a dog doing it by themselves was "if they cant do it by themselves you aint done training." I remember that the biggest challenge back then was just getting a dog to tree. That was number one and the next in line was being straight.
That quest for tree power was about solved in the 80's and I started comp hunting around 85. I remember then the big thing was having a dog that could take "tree pressure" which was another way of saying "tolerate a mean dog."
The old gal was not purple ribbon bred but had Johnson's Banjo in her pedigree, I think he was her grand sire.
There are differences in the dogs of today vs. old blood. In my lifetime I have seen the dogs get louder, tree harder, start earlier, run tracks much faster and definitely act more independent. I would say that a higher percentage of pups make the cut and that the ones that don't are sadly in the hands of some guy that expects a miracle. In fact I don't know what some of these people want, I don't even think they want a coon dog because they never seem to find one. All of these improvements in dogs are good things.
I wish some of the real old timers could see our modern dogs. I truly think they would not only be amazed but they would tell us how lucky we are. Technology is in our favor too. Imagine handing an old time coon hunter that last hunted in the 70's a Garmin Alpha and a Sunfire Ultra HD light.
There were a lot less titled dogs back then too. Three hour hunts were harder. That last hour always seemed to cost a lot of minus points and more dogs entered hunts then too. Today, if you see a Walker dog pedigree that aint all grand it's a strange thing. I remember when Logan's Wild Clover was one of if not the first dogs to be able to produce pups with everything grand in the pedigree.
Some of the differences today are funny...what we used to call the sort of rare slick tree is now a squirrel...and there seems to be a lot of squirrels these days. Dogs back then ran tracks slower too. You could always tell by the speed if it was a coon or what we used to call "fast game." That's where that term came from the speed over ground of the dog running it.

Edit: I guess I didn't really answer your questions...all dogs are naturals, you cannot teach them to tree or hunt out or run a track. You cant as a trainer adjust their nose power and you cant really force them to start hunting. I think the best way of saying it is that some are not as "natural" and wont do much of any of the above. Some are slower to rise to the task and some go right out of the gate. What you are describing is a matter more of the owner/handler/trainer and what he is willing to tolerate. Think of the dog as sort of pre-programmed and you cant really change it much. The biggest thing that little Walker female taught me was after she died...I spent the next ten years realizing just how rare a good dog is.

I've hunted with a few old timers and they say the hounds today aint got what it takes to tree coons consistantly night after night!
Summer time they cant take the heat and in the winter time they cant track a coon track in 2 inches of snow! Just what some say about the hounds today. "SOME NOT ALL" I dont want to offend anyone that thinks they got something better than anyone else.
I have seen it myself, and I wont forget all the slicks that I walk to in todays hounds also, Pleasure hunting or Competition hunting. But now the old Rock blood I liked hunting it because I was guaranteed a coon every time, never once did I walk to a slick and I didnt own a hair on him! That Spring Creek is just about the most accurate blood I think you can get in a hound, slow starters, but coon treeing SOBs'.

Old Post 07-24-2014 05:32 PM
rick brocious
UKC Forum Member

I 've noticed that the longer a dogs been dead , the better he gets .

Old Post 07-24-2014 10:14 PM
rick brocious is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick brocious Click here to Send rick brocious a Private Message Find more posts by rick brocious Add rick brocious to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Storm99
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by rick brocious
I 've noticed that the longer a dogs been dead , the better he gets .

aint that the truth.

Old Post 07-24-2014 10:28 PM
Jamie Thurman
UKC Forum Member

all coondog pedigree

NITECH NOCTURNAL NAILOR JR
GRNITECH JUDGE DREDD 7/2/04 to 8/4/14
GRNITECH WALACES LITTLE ELLI (2014 SATURDAY NIGHT GEORGIA STATE GRNITECH WINNER AND 2ND IN THE FINAL 4)

GRCH GRNITECH GRFCH WOODS DANDY SAS( GRNITECH ABBOTTS ELK RIVER RATTLER X WOODS DANDY BRANDY )

GRNITECH NOCTURNAIL KIT ( GRNITECH NOCTURNAIL TORUCH X GRNITECH GOLD RIVER MEG )

NITECH CH SWAMP AND RIVER QUEEN (CAST WINNER AT BABY STAKES & 3 WINS TWDS GRNITECH) (GRNITECH DOUBLE XL X NITECH CH A LITTLE BIT NASTY )

BEANS 2 FAMOUS FOR U (GRNTCH HARDWOOD BEAN X GRNTCH SKIPPERS ALMOST FAMOUS)
GIRLS HUNT TO
Jamie Thurman
770-262-5241

Old Post 07-30-2014 03:54 PM
Jamie Thurman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jamie Thurman Click here to Send Jamie Thurman a Private Message Click Here to Email Jamie Thurman Find more posts by Jamie Thurman Add Jamie Thurman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KJO
UKC Forum Member

old blood

They was'nt slick treeing idiots that could'nt run a track, guess it just depends on what a person likes, coons or trees??? Theres some good track and tree dogs in some of the dogs today, you just gota look for it, i like several lines from dogs today hard knockin little moma comes from some good stuff i also like coma,maniac,trackman,clover and few others all depends on what a person likes.

Old Post 08-03-2014 01:23 AM
KJO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KJO Click here to Send KJO a Private Message Click Here to Email KJO Find more posts by KJO Add KJO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bolden1
UKC Forum Member

Yep

I agree little momma work a track up at 10 months old behind our cabin. It was sleeting and hailing out and had the meat. I don't know what I was thinking for giving her away. But she is wipeout bred and skuna river.

Bentley high dollar Lucy

Old Post 08-05-2014 03:25 AM
BAWL_TRACK
UKC Forum Member

anybody got one them( old fashion out dated ) eyes lookin down fur in mouth big ol loud male dogs ?? i grew up hunting with both side fam. pleasure /fur hunters....an i favored the holsteins...hard now days find a good coontreer high % averg. i have a old fashion type female thought bout breedin her never have. but her daddy was best i ever walked to bout 95-100% hunted with him serval yrs ( not the fastest he was older dog anyway) not the loudest but when he barked you kne it was a coon.

Old Post 09-02-2014 05:24 PM
BAWL_TRACK is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BAWL_TRACK Click here to Send BAWL_TRACK a Private Message Click Here to Email BAWL_TRACK Find more posts by BAWL_TRACK Add BAWL_TRACK to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EFranks
UKC Forum Member

hey

Mr bawl track...I know where you can find what you lookin for...Gimme call 8436211656

Old Post 09-04-2014 02:38 AM
EFranks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EFranks Click here to Send EFranks a Private Message Click Here to Email EFranks Find more posts by EFranks Add EFranks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EFranks
UKC Forum Member

bawl track

I can't send you a message your inbox is full...Gimme call I'm up

Old Post 09-04-2014 02:57 AM
EFranks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EFranks Click here to Send EFranks a Private Message Click Here to Email EFranks Find more posts by EFranks Add EFranks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EFranks
UKC Forum Member

He

Is linebred on spring creek radar and beaver lake lightning...old finley river stuff...He is reproducing coon dogs that have meat in the tree and will tree coons other dogs can't smell

Old Post 09-04-2014 03:04 AM
EFranks
UKC Forum Member

this

Is the dog I'm talking about http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums...zpsnjwuvzjp.jpg

Old Post 09-04-2014 03:23 AM
robert whitten
UKC Forum Member

is it the open spotted dog ? post up his ped on here . I grew up on finley river and have a pair of pups now that I have high hopes for . my old gyp was a good one that folks call bs on when I tell them she never lied on a tree . this was from 82 till 1997 . loved that ol gyp and we sold a lot of hides behind her .

great grand pup to Johnson's danny boy , sugar creek boomer , swinney's diamond jim , harmon's trumpet .

it took no training what so ever on this gyp just a natural born TRACK AND TREE DOG . never had any trouble with my dogs not staying treed till you got there no matter how long it took .

Old Post 09-04-2014 04:28 PM
robert whitten is offline Click Here to See the Profile for robert whitten Click here to Send robert whitten a Private Message Click Here to Email robert whitten Find more posts by robert whitten Add robert whitten to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EFranks
UKC Forum Member

yessir'

It is the open spotted dog....go to tw stud dog page and look for thread that says best old blood linebred stud in the US his ped is on that thread

Old Post 09-06-2014 01:58 PM
robert whitten
UKC Forum Member

thanks i'll look him up .

Old Post 09-06-2014 02:51 PM
robert whitten is offline Click Here to See the Profile for robert whitten Click here to Send robert whitten a Private Message Click Here to Email robert whitten Find more posts by robert whitten Add robert whitten to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote