UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Old Time Hunters might remember this.
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
HERSHSHUNTIN
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
Who has an old Stevens rolling block or Remington falling block single shot .22? How many out there know what either one is without googling it?
have a Stevens favorite

hershtwo@yahoo.com
Life member NRA
Current dogs
GR CH NT CH RED MIGHTY 90-Bo/Sierra
NT.CH.GR CH BEYOND BILLY HTX --Billy the Kid/ Amber
GR CH 1ST & 2ND place wins 90/4 LIFE GUN-HTX==-Willy BOY/Bigtime Britt
Dogs I have owned
Nt ch Gr ch HERSHS HUNTIN RED IKE
NT CH CH HERSHS HUNTIN BUDDY
GR NT CH MILLERS DIRTY RED
NT CH CH LYNN'S CREEK JULIE
GR CH HERSHS HUNTIN RED KATE
CH NITE CH AMBRAW RIVER TIMBER ROCK
NT CH HERSHS HUNTIN RED CLEM
NT CH ROCKY TOP CHERRY

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-01-2020 10:28 PM
HERSHSHUNTIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HERSHSHUNTIN Click here to Send HERSHSHUNTIN a Private Message Click Here to Email HERSHSHUNTIN Find more posts by HERSHSHUNTIN Add HERSHSHUNTIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Who has an old Stevens rolling block or Remington falling block single shot .22? How many out there know what either one is without googling it?
I’ve got an old Stevens Favorite with a hex barrel. Had a gun Smith that was also a mechinest make a shell ejector for it. I sure don’t carry it Coon hunting though.

Old Post 04-01-2020 10:54 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Stevens favorite

I have one of the new models they made a few years ago, rolling block just like the originals. Dave

Old Post 04-01-2020 11:03 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Bourne
UKC Forum Member

Oh no!

Savage 3 D, used car keys to eject until last month, took.it to a gunsmith, works great now, but I bought a 10-22 and gave the Savage to my son, now that I fixed it! Thought it was a great reminder to make every shot count, why I kept it 30 years to long....

Old Post 04-02-2020 12:05 AM
Jason Bourne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Bourne Click here to Send Jason Bourne a Private Message Click Here to Email Jason Bourne Find more posts by Jason Bourne Add Jason Bourne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta slough
UKC Forum Member

My hunting buddies and I used to buy any kind of single shot we came across. We would hide them in the woods in the summer time so we didn't get caught with a gun. We used them to shoot snakes and such. Lost a bunch of them and found a couple other hunters snake guns too. Good ole days. Jr.Steelman

Old Post 04-02-2020 01:03 AM
delta slough is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta slough Find more posts by delta slough Add delta slough to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta slough
UKC Forum Member

Old Post 04-02-2020 01:03 AM
delta slough is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta slough Find more posts by delta slough Add delta slough to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larry geesling
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Funny just Monday Cheyenne hollered at me to get a knife out of the truck he had a shell that hadn't ejected. He was squirrel hunting and I was looking for mushrooms. This gun is a Remington model 10 nylon single shot .22 (like the 66 but single shot not semiautomatic). It's a rare gun that he just needs to put in the cabinet and leave it but he likes it. Probably if he cleaned it more often and didn't carry 22 shells in an empty unwashed chew can this wouldn't happen lol!
Dalton left a gun leaning on a fence post a couple of years ago on a road we hunt on. A couple of days later my cousin who lives near there called and said he found a gun and figured it was ours Dalton hadn't missed it yet.
My dad's old 22 is still somewhere against a tree in the woods by the house. In nearly 20 years and walking those woods thousands of times we've still never found it.

I had a nylon 10 40 year ago I lost back site one night hunting manage to shoot coon out that night sold it for 35 dollars and I have never heard anyone say anything bout a nylon 10 must have only been 2 of them made

Old Post 04-02-2020 03:31 AM
larry geesling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for larry geesling Click here to Send larry geesling a Private Message Click Here to Email larry geesling Find more posts by larry geesling Add larry geesling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
You can have this one I am in Oklahoma also.

Tar

Appreciate the offer Tar but wouldn't have the sentimental value for me
Thanks.

Old Post 04-02-2020 04:18 AM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by larry geesling
I had a nylon 10 40 year ago I lost back site one night hunting manage to shoot coon out that night sold it for 35 dollars and I have never heard anyone say anything bout a nylon 10 must have only been 2 of them made
Maybe so lol! Most have seen the 66 but not the single shot model 10. I believe was about 10,000 in the early 60's, a very hard to find gun. Our grandson likes to shoot it with papa. They have an extra safety you have to click off everytime before pulling the trigger which is great for teaching kids. Really it just needs put up and gave to him when he's about 40.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 04-02-2020 04:35 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Freeman2
UKC Forum Member

had an Ithaca lever action single shot had to aim low to hit anything had to dig a lot of shells out of it I was pretty good with it but panic would set in when coon would start down when shell jammed lucky stock never broke clubbed several with it sold it to a friend for his sons first gun wish I had kept it
my current gun is a Ruger 10/22 than I got in 1981or so friend had house fire gun was in the house has a nice charred look to it on about the fourth or fifth scope hate to say how many coon that old gun has shot have two more rugers. one laminated and stainless steel hasn't had ten rounds through it and my dad's which looks brand new and is as old or older than mine

have a schrade knife I got for Christmas in the seventies has skinned 1000s of coon dressed fish peeled apples etc has about half the blade left from sharpening have left it under a few trees but always found it should retire it but still carry in wick pouch with clips shells etc havent skinned a coon in a few years but its ready if I need it have a whetstone about the same age it looks rough as well

Last edited by Freeman2 on 04-02-2020 at 06:13 AM

Old Post 04-02-2020 06:08 AM
Freeman2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Freeman2 Click here to Send Freeman2 a Private Message Find more posts by Freeman2 Add Freeman2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Robinson
UKC Forum Member

Bruce

I have never had a gun that I had to use a knife to remove the shell but I have a few other stories.

I left a good knife stuck in a tree once, realized it after I got home late but went the next day and found the location and got my knife back. I was a special skinning knife that also had a 12 gauge choke wrench I use to remove and tighten the chokes on my Browning shotgun.

Also I remember back in the 80's when coon hides were high I had walked up back of the house and coon were moving good. I had treed and skinned four nice coon and had the hides on a piece of clothesline hung over my shoulder. I got tired of hauling them around so hung em in a tree near a creek I figured I would pass on the way home to get later. Long story short, I hunted a couple more hours, had a couple more hides but when I went back to pick of the earlier coon couldn't find them. Went back the next morning and found them, I had been looking in the wrong area! LOL

Never left my gun thank goodness, but come close to doing it a few times.

Past Home of:
GRNITECH FCH GRCH ROBINSON'S SILVERTONE BLUSPECK HTX DNA-P
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH ROBINSON'S RED LINDSAY
NITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH ROBINSON'S CROOKTAIL KATE
GRNITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S CIDERHOUSE LULU
NITECH GRCH GRFCH GRWCH RED RIDGE'S SUPER SHOCK Z HTX2
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE (BLUSPECK DAUGHTER)
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S JJ THUNDER SUE

Current
CH PR ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY JUNEBUG - (GRNITECH PKC CH RIVER BOTTOM'S CRACKER JACK X NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE)

Old Post 04-02-2020 02:47 PM
Doug Robinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Robinson Click here to Send Doug Robinson a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Robinson Find more posts by Doug Robinson Add Doug Robinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Creason
UKC Forum Member

I have an old marlin single shot that belonged to my Daddy, wouldn’t take nothing for it. Still to this day, even with the sight offset on the end of the barrel, (quality control issue 😁, it is one of the truest shooting rifles I have ever owned. I love to shoot it, been shooting it for 55 yrs. and I still carry it from time to time. No telling how many critters have expired at the hands of that little marlin. Pop a few shells in your mouth (sanitized of course 😷 and go at it.

Old Post 04-02-2020 04:21 PM
Creason is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Creason Click here to Send Creason a Private Message Find more posts by Creason Add Creason to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Who has an old Stevens falling block or Remington rolling block single shot .22? How many out there know what either one is without googling it?

How about a marlin .32 rim fire rolling block?

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 04-02-2020 08:49 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Rifle

Bruce, I don't know how old you are we must be close to the same vintage, it really doesn't matter your post brought back some good memories, that single shot bolt action Stevens my dad gave me was a killer shot great but you better have a good knife just like you posted ....and I forget it a few times had to go back also,you know how it is when you get cited! Lol good hunting to ya

Old Post 04-02-2020 09:57 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

DL NH

I know what they are. Own 3 of them. 2 have octagon barrel's 1 has round barrel. Uncle collect them in late 50s and early 60s. When he passed in 1982 my Aunt had about 30 to get rid of. He paid $5 to $30 each. Some were bought for parts. Wish I had bought more. Hindsight!! LoL!

Randi Bidlack

Last edited by RC-Abby on 04-02-2020 at 10:09 PM

Old Post 04-02-2020 10:06 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Lost the scabbard off my ax one time on a big mountain top and several months later I was on my knees crawling through a pine thicket and crawled right up on my scabbard! Who would have thunk it!

Old Post 04-02-2020 10:58 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Cotton, I will be 71 in may if the virus dont get me first. Lol

Old Post 04-03-2020 12:26 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Bruce what day in May? I will be 71 MaY 8.

Old Post 04-03-2020 12:50 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I will be 62 may 1rst.

Tar

Old Post 04-03-2020 12:52 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Bruce, I'll be 70 in July we are not far apart just geography in distance, I hope we all see another B day I got a 2 yo that needs hunted! Lol

Old Post 04-03-2020 01:32 AM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I want to make it to 81

My motto is "81 and Done!" No more work and no more dogs. LOL

Old Post 04-03-2020 02:27 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

Yes Sir, I do remember those days. I had a Stevens bolt action single shot, don't remember the model number that you had to dig the burnt brass from most every shot if you didn't shot Long Rifle ammo. In those days, we shot more Longs than anything because they were cheaper. Never was a fan of the Shorts.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 04-03-2020 05:54 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
I want to make it to 81

My motto is "81 and Done!" No more work and no more dogs. LOL

If you make it that long why give up something you love. I can see retiring but all else keep on keeping on!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 04-03-2020 11:43 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

When I first started hunting I went with an 82 yr old man. His dog was about 10 yrs old. We hunted together for 4 or 5 yrs. He got around as good as I did.

Old Post 04-04-2020 01:13 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave1
UKC Forum Member

Remington 510 grandpa bought it when he was 9 can still drive nails with it

Old Post 04-09-2020 02:31 AM
Dave1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave1 Click here to Send Dave1 a Private Message Find more posts by Dave1 Add Dave1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote