UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What's your definition of a coon dog ?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Tom, what's the black jacks?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-01-2019 09:35 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I seen coondogs that reproduced good coon treeing dogs but never seen one that reproduced as good as their self. Maybe that’s why there are not that many of them.

Tar

Old Post 09-01-2019 09:37 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Jeff Prince

I don't know you, but I like the way you think and as ant12 said if Jeff says it is a coondog, it is a coondog. I respect those that have seen and knows what a real coondog is and only puts that title on the select few that deserve the title. Dave

Old Post 09-01-2019 09:41 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
Tom, what's the black jacks?

Black Jack Oak trees in western Oklahoma. Run about 20 maybe 30 feet tall. He winded squirrel just like he did coon.

Old Post 09-01-2019 09:41 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

TAR, I was told by an old man back in early 70 s that you didn't need to breed to outstanding hounds you needed to breed to what made them. What you think?

Old Post 09-01-2019 09:43 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
TAR, I was told by an old man back in early 70 s that you didn't need to breed to outstanding hounds you needed to breed to what made them. What you think?

Well I took a top notch female out of my once in a lifetime dog and bred her to her grandfather ............ got a whole litter of duds didn’t work for me lol.

She was out of a 3 pup litter of 2 grntchs and 1 ntch her brouther was an outstanding drifting track dog on tracks other dogs could not move and had the grease at the end. My old granny dog was her littermate sister my young dog I have now is out of granny. My female I have now is out of macie and a bad habit male. granny’s littermate macie is the one I bred back to her grandfather. Coondogs just happen you can plan it.

Tar

Old Post 09-01-2019 09:58 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

Re: Coon dog

quote:
Originally posted by ant12
If Jeff Prince has it and calls it a coon dog,,,, IT IS! Someone should buy that pup trainer for sale.

Haha thanks Anthony but I haven't put her up for sale yet and I never said she was a coon dog. Just a dog that can tree a coon .

Old Post 09-01-2019 10:44 PM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Jeff Prince

If you get one that you call a coondog and for some reason decide to sell, please pm me and I will buy...... seriously. Dave

Old Post 09-01-2019 11:17 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

Re: Jeff Prince

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
If you get one that you call a coondog and for some reason decide to sell, please pm me and I will buy...... seriously. Dave
if they are gonna sell. most likely its not what your looking for. if its really a good one and guy knows what one is .. it want leave his home. could be wrong tho. jmo

Old Post 09-02-2019 01:40 AM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Carson

You aren't wrong at all, that was my way of complimenting Jeff. My old dog 14 in December has been a true coondog and I bought him at an older age 8 from my hunting buddy. I had hunted with him since he was around 1 year old and he was a natural even then. The only way I got him then was due to the fact we hunted together every night and he had a really nice younger dog out of my old dog. Dave

Old Post 09-02-2019 02:17 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Jeff Prince

quote:
Originally posted by CHEWBACH
if they are gonna sell. most likely its not what your looking for. if its really a good one and guy knows what one is .. it want leave his home. could be wrong tho. jmo

I was thinking the same thing...

Old Post 09-02-2019 02:41 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Totally Agree

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I seen coondogs that reproduced good coon treeing dogs but never seen one that reproduced as good as their self. Maybe that’s why there are not that many of them.
Tar

When I see people say that a good stud dog is one that consistently reproduces dogs as good or better than itself, I know they don't have a clue. I've never seen an outstanding dog do this. I have seen dogs that weren't that good that consistently reproduced better than themselves. It just doesn't happen with dogs that are themselves outstanding.

Old Post 09-02-2019 05:29 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I'd sooner take my chances on a pup that came from parents who both were from average to above average litters than a pup from outstanding parents that came from a litter where they were the only good ones in their respective litter.

Old Post 09-02-2019 07:04 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

Re: Totally Agree

quote:
Originally posted by honalieh
When I see people say that a good stud dog is one that consistently reproduces dogs as good or better than itself, I know they don't have a clue. I've never seen an outstanding dog do this. I have seen dogs that weren't that good that consistently reproduced better than themselves. It just doesn't happen with dogs that are themselves outstanding.

Are you and I the only ones that ask ourselves, “If their offspring is consistently better than themselves, were they really much of a dog”?
The 2 or 3 true blue outstanding dogs I’ve hunted with never threw dogs of their caliber. Anything close made once in a lifetime dogs for their owners but were still not as nice as the original. Then again, I’ve sold 3 that were decent dogs but not what I consider exceptional. Now, they are the best that ever walked according to some!

Old Post 09-02-2019 09:41 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Ghost14

You have heard the old saying that one man's trash is another man's treasure, haven't you? Lol. Seriously, some may really believe that their dog is the best one ever, they just haven't see a real coondog operate. I got a lesson in my younger years 21, I had a really good dog, but went hunting with my first real coondog that a man I knew owned. Boy was I ever glad that I had left my really good dog at home that night. I could not believe my eyes that night we hunted mountains in thin coon and that dog put on a clinic treeing coons. He was the first real coondog that I ever hunted with, but he showed me what a real coondog could do. I later bought that dog, Buck was his name and I enjoyed many hunts with him. Dave

Old Post 09-03-2019 01:13 AM
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

That’s right Dave, them good ones will ruin you. It’s a shame that more of them don’t exist but that’s the nature of the game I guess.

Old Post 09-03-2019 01:59 AM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I can not give a good definition of a coon dog but I can on a good hog dog... I believe it is the same concept...I will use hunting dog instead...

A good hunting dog looks good in any company...if the dogs in the other company are as good as mine then I will shake the owners hand because he has great dogs...

When the game is thin he will locate and have it bayed, caught or treed...

Many will tell you shut your eyes and pick a pup because you don’t know which will turn out...that may be true to a certain extent...but there are several reasons to breed your own...The first thing is we can do the little things with the pups that helps them reach their full potential one day...and we can observe them every day as pups and see how they operate...no one in their right mind will sell you their best so it is best to breed your own unless you have plenty of money...second best thing is buy two or three well bred and well socialized pups...if your lucky you’ll have one good pup...if your real lucky you’ll have two good pups...two out of three ain’t bad...sometimes we get rid of all three...just the way it goes when we want the best...

Old Post 09-03-2019 02:59 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Reuben

You have the right idea, but all of us are not good dog trainers. So for the ones that are not good trainers, we have to buy our dogs trained. I am here to tell you that it makes no difference how much money you have, a truly great dog is hard to find and harder to buy. Training your own has lots of benefits, but lots of drawbacks. You may spend a lot of time with a good prospect that never makes the kind of dog you want. It's a crapshoot, you win sometimes but lose a lot of times. Buying one has it's benefits and drawbacks, you can pass on the dog if it does not have what you are looking for and save a lot of time. Now you may find one that suits you, but the owner won't sell, had that happen several times. What I try to do is find one that has most of what I am looking for, with some rough spots that I can polish to my liking, that can be bought. Sometimes I am happy, sometimes the polishing does not work out so good. Lol. Dave

Old Post 09-03-2019 03:36 AM
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

There are several different styles that a sure enough coon dog can have but one thing every COON DOG I have seen had in common was Indifference. It doesn’t matter what you cut them loose with and what the other dogs do they will be parked under a coon somewhere.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 09-03-2019 04:21 AM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dalton Cummings

I agree 100 percent, indifference to other dogs with one thing on their mind and that is treeing coons. They must have that extra sense enough to always know where to find a coon and the extra to always have the coon when they park. Some will say that that dog does not exist that is until they actually witness one in action. Are they common? Most certainly not, but a few exist from time to time and are a treasure when you get one. The 2 I have been fortunate to own were just as I described. Dave

Old Post 09-03-2019 05:59 AM
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

I would say indifference is the best word to describe what extra they had. I’m not big on pretty or style, I’m big on game caught. I never believed a male would leave a female in full blown heat to go hunting till I watched it happen.
I don’t believe in picking great pups at 6 weeks old. Mine have always went through so many changes as they aged. I believe there is no answer but only faith a person has in a pup. If they have confidence they will put more into that pup. To each his own.

Old Post 09-03-2019 12:34 PM