UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Ao
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Buckeye 01
UKC Forum Member

AO TRUTH

I have made the drive over to the AO more years than I can remember. I have only missed a few period, but I have not missed one in the past 20 years.

This year was hands down the smallest crowd I have ever seen at the AO. Cheap gas and a great economy, it blew me away. I was able to talk to many old friends that I make the trip over to see, and out of probably 15 that I asked, they all agreed that it fell off to a level none of us ever thought we would see.

The days of shoulder to shoulder walking traffic, vendors fighting for a space, and every big name stud dog in the country being proudly represented by their owner at a nice tent, appear to be over. Were vendors still there; yes, but not near the number of years past.

At one time the AO would run upper 7’s even 800 dogs not many years ago. This year only 526 dogs. Figures don’t lie. I really hope this year was a freak deal and next year is a massive rebound, because this year felt different and looked like a ghost town. Still had a good time. Until next year,

Keep em treed

Last edited by Buckeye 01 on 09-01-2019 at 09:01 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-01-2019 07:26 PM
Buckeye 01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Buckeye 01 Click here to Send Buckeye 01 a Private Message Find more posts by Buckeye 01 Add Buckeye 01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Just curious: What are the actual entry numbers for AO for the last 10 years?

Old Post 09-01-2019 07:41 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Surveyor
UKC Forum Member

I've missed very few also and agree it was a much smaller crowd. It doesn't surprise me though and it's nothing UKC or anybody else did,there are just way fewer coon hunters every year and it's just a dying sport unfortunately and I don't see any way to reverse it.

2 time world finalist, 10th overall and high scoring Bluetick of the 2010 UKC World Coonhound Championship
NASHOBA VALLEY PIAZON, (RIP)
his littermate brother
UKC NT CH SHEPPARDS NORTHERN
BLUE LONER (RIP)
UKC GR NT CH RATTLERS BLUE SKY (RIP)
UKC Gr NT CH, PKC Ch Sheppard's Northern Blue Abbie, (PiazonxSky) UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Sheppards Northern Blue Punkin (PiazonXAlice) High scoring Bluetick of the 2015 (50th anniversary) Grand American, 2017 National Grand Nite Champion of breed, 2017 BBOA zone 4 Nite hunt dog of the year. Queen of hunt on 2019 Grand National Bluetick Reunion, 5th place and High Scoring Bluetick of 2019 UKC world Nite hunt Championship, 2019 Triple Crown Winner.
UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Mckintosh's Blue Flame Chopper
Gr Nt Ch Sheppards Northern Blue Goomba (Piazon X Dizzie) 14th place 2017 UKC world coon hound championship 100 purina point cast wins in 2018
and several other blueticks of lesser accomplishments

Old Post 09-01-2019 10:01 PM
Surveyor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Surveyor Click here to Send Surveyor a Private Message Click Here to Email Surveyor Find more posts by Surveyor Add Surveyor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cole run
UKC Forum Member

According to the entry list ukc has posted on the front page there were 602 entered

Old Post 09-01-2019 10:36 PM
cole run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cole run Click here to Send cole run a Private Message Find more posts by cole run Add cole run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
warn
UKC Forum Member

I have been attending for over 20 years with maybe w years i didnt make it. It was by far the poorest attendance ive seen

Mark Warner

"HOME OF PREDAWN KENNELS"

http://www.tekonshathunder.homestead.com

Old Post 09-01-2019 10:37 PM
warn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for warn Click here to Send warn a Private Message Click Here to Email warn Find more posts by warn Add warn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buckeye 01
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by cole run
According to the entry list ukc has posted on the front page there were 602 entered

Total entered was 602. Total hunted/confirmed 526 as referenced on the posted results.

Old Post 09-01-2019 10:43 PM
Buckeye 01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Buckeye 01 Click here to Send Buckeye 01 a Private Message Find more posts by Buckeye 01 Add Buckeye 01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug__Adams
UKC Forum Member

I’ve been going for around 25 years straight. The crowds have slowly deminshed but this year was a noticeable decline for sure.. but like stated above it’s a dieing sport. Everybody chasing the $ and when they realize they will spend 10k to win 5k they give up and move on to another hobby. I’d say they will be moving it before long to try to boost numbers..

Call/text anytime!

Check us out on Facebook
Treacle Creek Kennels And Hunting Supply
https://treaclecreekhuntingsupply.com

Old Post 09-01-2019 10:48 PM
Doug__Adams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug__Adams Click here to Send Doug__Adams a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug__Adams Find more posts by Doug__Adams Add Doug__Adams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Night Shift
UKC Forum Member

I wonder if all the talk of PETA protestors being present scared some folks off. I never seen anyone but I did hear they were going to protest.

Gr Nt Ch Maniac's Dark Side of the Moon

Old Post 09-02-2019 06:16 AM
Night Shift is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Night Shift Click here to Send Night Shift a Private Message Click Here to Email Night Shift Find more posts by Night Shift Add Night Shift to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tony.beals
UKC Forum Member

Re: AO TRUTH

quote:
Originally posted by Buckeye 01
I have made the drive over to the AO more years than I can remember. I have only missed a few period, but I have not missed one in the past 20 years.

This year was hands down the smallest crowd I have ever seen at the AO. Cheap gas and a great economy, it blew me away. I was able to talk to many old friends that I make the trip over to see, and out of probably 15 that I asked, they all agreed that it fell off to a level none of us ever thought we would see.

The days of shoulder to shoulder walking traffic, vendors fighting for a space, and every big name stud dog in the country being proudly represented by their owner at a nice tent, appear to be over. Were vendors still there; yes, but not near the number of years past.

At one time the AO would run upper 7’s even 800 dogs not many years ago. This year only 526 dogs. Figures don’t lie. I really hope this year was a freak deal and next year is a massive rebound, because this year felt different and looked like a ghost town. Still had a good time. Until next year,

Keep em treed

And the weather was perfect too

MSG, US ARMY RETIRED
President of Michigan State United Coon Hunters Association

Old Post 09-02-2019 07:08 PM
tony.beals is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tony.beals Click here to Send tony.beals a Private Message Click Here to Email tony.beals Find more posts by tony.beals Add tony.beals to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

crowd

I would agree it had less people around than 3 yrs. ago when i was there, BUT to my 13 yr. old grand daughter, it was still like being at a STATE FAIR than going to a local hunt. All anyone can do is put on an event & hope people show up. It still was great place to pick up hunting supplies, have Garmin booth to up-date units in a matter of minutes & great food served each day. We are definitely coming back next year & Cub has already told his boss to plan on him being gone next year.

Thx to UKC & all local people involved in it for the great job they did. Take care, Ron.

Old Post 09-02-2019 07:28 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

The place was still packed on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. The use of golf carts does keep the crowds more disbursed. I did talk to several vendors that were quite happy with the amount of business they were doing and several had sold out of certain merchandise.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 09-02-2019 09:40 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sox12
UKC Forum Member

it seemed to me there were more campers to the north in the big field then before

CH Nt. Ch.PR Wandering Red & RR Bucksaw (GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge Rip X Grand Nite Raged Ridge Toadie )
GRNTCH.GRCh.PR Steffes' Whizz Bang[GRNTCH Big Walnut BooneXGRNTCH Raged Ridge Toadie]
GRCH.Wandering Red Pepper
GRCH.Wandering Red Honeys Sweety Pie

RIP
GR.NT.CH.GR.CH.PR Steffes wandering Red Tinkerbell {GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge RipsawXGRNTCH Ragged Ridge Toadie]

Old Post 09-04-2019 09:07 PM
sox12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sox12 Click here to Send sox12 a Private Message Click Here to Email sox12 Find more posts by sox12 Add sox12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

AO

While the numbers may have been down, the quality was up. Yes, I mean quality, just look at all of the positive comments regarding the sportsmanship displayed by the hunters. I will take this anytime over large numbers, there may not be as many hunters these days, but the ones hunting are a first class bunch. I can honesty say that back in the day of large numbers of hunters and dogs that it was a cutthroat, slick handling type of hunts. While there were not many $ hunts in those days, lots of paid handlers wer around trying to get first place wins anyway they could. I hunted against several of those types, absolutely no real sportsmanship existed. I am excited with these hunters of today that let their dogs do the talking. Dave

Old Post 09-04-2019 09:38 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buckeye 01
UKC Forum Member

Re: AO

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
While the numbers may have been down, the quality was up. Yes, I mean quality, just look at all of the positive comments regarding the sportsmanship displayed by the hunters. I will take this anytime over large numbers, there may not be as many hunters these days, but the ones hunting are a first class bunch. I can honesty say that back in the day of large numbers of hunters and dogs that it was a cutthroat, slick handling type of hunts. While there were not many $ hunts in those days, lots of paid handlers wer around trying to get first place wins anyway they could. I hunted against several of those types, absolutely no real sportsmanship existed. I am excited with these hunters of today that let their dogs do the talking. Dave

It is nice to hear that few, if any complaints were had during the hunt. That paints a positive image of the hunt for upcoming years and the sport in general. I don’t think that it really makes the overall attendance of the event any less important though. Attendance, not so much in the form of hunt entries, but general tourism of hunters visiting.

In regards to sportsmanship, I think it correlates directly with hunt format. 10 years ago, participating in Autumn Oaks was a interesting spectacle to put it politely. No Grand Sixteen format created a breeding ground for cheating, bribery, and aggressive cut throat cast. Unrealistic scores were the norm to try to get that coveted National Grand Nite title. The NTCH and Registered cast were not as bad with multiple placements being available, but the GRNT was savage.

Any time a hunt, whether it be UKC, xKC, xKC, or xHKC, is held that is not in elimination style format, the integrity of the event is instantly at stake in my opinion. I always have said the most enjoyable cast are the ones where you just have to beat the dogs you draw. That is not to say the same level of unsportsmanlike conduct cannot be in found in an elimination style event, but I think when you eliminate the concept of having to blow up a big score, the integrity of the hunt is much more likely to remain intact.

Look at xKC’s open events scores compared to prohunts etc. A certain degree of this could be attributed to a non-hunting judge, maybe even a large degree, but overall it’s the fact that they got to have a big score to make that final four. It can be comical to look at the scores of warm up open events right before a big event at the same location and watch the scores plummet.

The Grand 16 format was the best thing that happened to the AO in my opinion, and UKC is on track to become one of the most talked about KC’s in a positive light of any of the KC’s currently in existence right now.

Old Post 09-05-2019 01:49 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Buckeye01

The numbers may never be like yesteryear numbers, but that does not define the quality of today's hunts. I agree that the elimination style hunts are the best way to define the true champion. I sure hope all the big hunts go to this format, as it is the only way to have a true champion. Score based placement his not equitable or fair to every cast, some casts are hunting in thinner coons, etc. All any dog can ever do is WIN their cast, I think more of a Champion that has won every cast to become Champion, that a dog that won 1 cast with a big score hunting only against the dogs in that cast, Determining a winner on a 1 cast score was never a valid way to determine a Champion. Dave

Old Post 09-05-2019 04:12 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Buckeye01

Sorry, double post

Old Post 09-05-2019 04:12 AM