UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Excuse my ignorance but...
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Excuse my ignorance but...

Every early fall on here I read about the bean fields and corn fields in Indiana and Ohio and what a problem folks have getting their dogs out of them. Someone please explain this to me. We have bean, corn and cotton fields in Alabama and I can't see the problem with coonhunting around them or in them. Explain the problem to me.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-22-2020 11:06 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

I don't think it's much of a problem unless your dog gets on a coyote, then you might have a problem getting them out. I don't.

Old Post 10-22-2020 11:19 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Beans get knee high, dense and all vine up. You can't hardly walk in them. So it's pretty much a coon maze. Smart coon know a dog can't get threw them as fast as they can so they won't leave them. When you see a dog with no hair around its eyes, ears red and blisterd, nose raw and scabbed up its been in the beans. Corn only hurts dogs that can't run coon fast or jumps tracks. A good dog can push them out fast, and tend to catch coon on the ground. Pups can spend all nite in a corn field jumping from one hot track to another.

Old Post 10-23-2020 12:48 AM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

I hunt around them everytime I cut loose dang near with not much problems. It’s not the early fall it’s usually summer, fields up here can be 1000 acres. Bein a Tennessee boy by birth I hate to say, it’s usually dogs from the south that come up here that get lost in them.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 10-23-2020 01:35 AM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Around here, people look forward to the corn fields, so they don't have to hunt in the stuff they usually do the rest of the year. They're about as easy as it gets.

Old Post 10-23-2020 02:03 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randywoodard2
UKC Forum Member

There alot bigger than our cornfields down here!!

Pr.Woodards Late Night Trix

Old Post 10-23-2020 11:47 AM
randywoodard2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for randywoodard2 Click here to Send randywoodard2 a Private Message Click Here to Email randywoodard2 Find more posts by randywoodard2 Add randywoodard2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by randywoodard2
There alot bigger than our cornfields down here!!
I don't understand what the size of the fields have to do with the dogs and the coons.

Old Post 10-23-2020 05:17 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

2ol2hunt

Unless you have seen some of those Northern or Midwest cornfields, you can not imagine how big they really are. Not only are they big, I mean big, hundreds of acres, they are so thick that a dog has a really tough and slow time getting through them. You ever try and walk through one, you would understand why the dogs have such a problem running coons in those big fields. Often times the coons just stay in those fields and dogs can trail for hours without pushing the coons out of the corn. Down South you just do not have cornfields anywhere close to the size of their fields, you just have to see them big fields to understand the problems dogs can have, same thing with the big thick soybean fields. Jkidd told you right, the Southern dogs that have never encountered such fields are the ones that have the most troubles. Dave

Old Post 10-23-2020 05:42 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ING 194
UKC Forum Member

The beans are thick enough there's no air moving and a dog can overheat and fall out.

Old Post 10-23-2020 06:28 PM
ING 194 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ING 194 Click here to Send ING 194 a Private Message Find more posts by ING 194 Add ING 194 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
I don't understand what the size of the fields have to do with the dogs and the coons.
I've lived in those big cornfields in Illinois for the last forty years and I coonhunt also, and here's the bottom line the hounds that can't get that coon out of a 50 acre patch are the same dogs that will never get one out of a 500 acre field and yes I've had dogs burn one up for 2 1/2 hours before ,running one and trailing one is the big difference ....

Old Post 10-23-2020 09:59 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ING 194
The beans are thick enough there's no air moving and a dog can overheat and fall out.
A coon wearing a fur coat and short legs and a short haired long legged hound chasing him and the hound is the one overheated! That don't make sense.

Old Post 10-23-2020 10:58 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
A coon wearing a fur coat and short legs and a short haired long legged hound chasing him and the hound is the one overheated! That don't make sense.

This might help, a mouse will get through beans easier than a coon, a horse will get through beans easier than a dog, moral of the story is very short legs or very long legs do best. But no joking bean fields in late summer are no fun for man or beast

Old Post 10-23-2020 11:54 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DOUG CHEEK
UKC Forum Member

where I hunt I always hunt in the corn fields when the corn is starting to get to the MILK stage and later on in the year all ways a coon is eating in there

then I first hunted in IOWA I said lets turn into the corn my local friend said U can if U want we are not ---THEN WE DROVE AROUND THE FIELD --2 1/2 long ---2 miles wide ---- we did end up in a corn field but not as large --the coon would go from one end to the other and move over a few rolls and all would start over again

if U like a good race it is fun

ALWAYS GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

Old Post 10-24-2020 03:58 PM
DOUG CHEEK is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DOUG CHEEK Click here to Send DOUG CHEEK a Private Message Click Here to Email DOUG CHEEK Find more posts by DOUG CHEEK Add DOUG CHEEK to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Do y'all REALLY believe deep down inside your heart that a coon can stay ahead of a dog running hot for 2 or 3 hours on any type of ground?

Old Post 10-24-2020 04:49 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

I do, you give a coon a 20 yard head start in a drilled bean field in late summer he ain't getting caught by a 50 lb dog, a 15 lb terrier maybe. Some will say I'm wrong but I've sure not seen it.

Old Post 10-24-2020 05:11 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Do y'all REALLY believe deep down inside your heart that a coon can stay ahead of a dog running hot for 2 or 3 hours on any type of ground?
I've seen it more than one time in these big cut-overs.

Old Post 10-24-2020 05:18 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

I've been coonhunting since 1973 and those 2 or 3 hr. races ALWAYS ended up being deer races in those fields. Sometimes they would fall off and tree a coon around the edge but the long race was usually a deer.

Old Post 10-24-2020 05:18 PM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I've been coonhunting since 1973 and those 2 or 3 hr. races ALWAYS ended up being deer races in those fields. Sometimes they would fall off and tree a coon around the edge but the long race was usually a deer.
same thing with cutover!

Old Post 10-24-2020 05:21 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I'm confused. I've only been coon hunting since 1960. If you see the coon cross a road 3 times and never see a deer, is it still a deer?

Old Post 10-24-2020 05:40 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Donald
They can't be Walker dogs?

Old Post 10-24-2020 05:44 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Donald
They can't be Walker dogs?

A deer hunter told us they had run a coon 3 hours with 5 Walker fox hounds and shot him on the ground. He wouldn't climb.

Old Post 10-24-2020 06:20 PM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

I'm sure a deer Hunter wouldn't fib or couldn't be mistaken.....A coon runs 12 mph.for a short distance a dog runs 28 mph.for a long distance the math is fairly easy.

Old Post 10-24-2020 06:29 PM
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I'm sure a deer Hunter wouldn't fib or couldn't be mistaken.....A coon runs 12 mph.for a short distance a dog runs 28 mph.for a long distance the math is fairly easy.

Some breeds of dogs are able to run 28mph some breeds can run 40 mph but, there are none running anywhere near 28mph in a corn or bean field.

Old Post 10-24-2020 06:49 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Nor a coon either! But that's what makes it interesting and fun looking how other folks see the hunts!

Old Post 10-24-2020 07:00 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
In your case I'll just go with the title of this thread.

Old Post 10-24-2020 07:12 PM