UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Joy of giving
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Joy of giving

I recently gave a pretty decent older coon dog to a life long friend age 86 whose old dog had died and he was out of a coon dog. He did not want to buy a high priced dog due to his age and health issues. I gave him a dog that he can enjoy going hunting with younger friends that WILL go handle his dog for him. He hunted last night and his dog treed a couple of coons, he was really pleased. Just knowing how happy he is with a dog I gave him is priceless to me. I could not be happier knowing he has something dependable to coon hunt with. It truly is better to give than to receive, especially in this case. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-03-2020 08:50 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Burchel Davis
UKC Forum Member

Giving

Very nice Dave!!

Old Post 11-03-2020 09:55 PM
Burchel Davis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Burchel Davis Click here to Send Burchel Davis a Private Message Click Here to Email Burchel Davis Find more posts by Burchel Davis Add Burchel Davis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Re: Joy of giving

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I recently gave a pretty decent older coon dog to a life long friend age 86 whose old dog had died and he was out of a coon dog. He did not want to buy a high priced dog due to his age and health issues. I gave him a dog that he can enjoy going hunting with younger friends that WILL go handle his dog for him. He hunted last night and his dog treed a couple of coons, he was really pleased. Just knowing how happy he is with a dog I gave him is priceless to me. I could not be happier knowing he has something dependable to coon hunt with. It truly is better to give than to receive, especially in this case. Dave

Dave this is really awesome. Good for you. I'm always so encouraged to hear of older guys in their 80s coon hunting, even more encouraged to hear of people helping them out.

Old Post 11-03-2020 09:56 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Burchel/houndsound

Thanks guys, my old friend has coon hunted his whole life, always kept a pretty good dog. I knew he wanted to hunt some, but did not have a dog, so I gave him one. He is getting feeble, but still likes to go, someone has to handle his dog as he can not get to a tree unless it's real close. My hunting buddies take him and handle his dog, he is thrilled just to hear him run and tree. I am thrilled knowing he is enjoying the dog I gave him, the feeling is priceless, I am just glad to be a part of knowing he has a dog that's a pleasure to hunt. Dave

Old Post 11-04-2020 01:06 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Re: Giving

quote:
Originally posted by Burchel Davis
Very nice Dave!!
x2 nice gesture !

Old Post 11-04-2020 01:19 AM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

That is great!

Old Post 11-04-2020 02:20 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

That’s very nice of you Dave...😇

Old Post 11-04-2020 02:56 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ronman
UKC Forum Member

We often hear about helping out a youngster to start hunting. I suspect there are just as many older hunters who would love to still be hunting. Great example for us Dave.

Old Post 11-04-2020 03:27 AM
Ronman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ronman Click here to Send Ronman a Private Message Click Here to Email Ronman Find more posts by Ronman Add Ronman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier
UKC Forum Member

Older Coon Hunters

Dave,

That's awesome!

Also, think of your area and an older guy who used to hunt but may not able to any longer. Call them on a nice night and ask them to ride along....hit smaller patches right by the road and maybe they could walk along. They will LOVE it and the reward will be yours in seeing the joy you brought to them.

I took my lifelong hunting buddy out the season before he passed. He hadn't had dogs for a couple years due to his health. We treed one close to the truck and walked in. I handed him the rifle, you could see the gleam in his eyes...at that moment he was a kid again. It was the last coon he ever killed...a memory i will always treasure.

Think about it!

Old Post 11-04-2020 12:22 PM
Hoosier is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Click here to Send Hoosier a Private Message Click Here to Email Hoosier Find more posts by Hoosier Add Hoosier to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Nice.....!!!

That was a Very Nice thing to do Dave....!!!
You sure dont see or hear about things like this these days.....Refreshing to say the least....👍👍
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 11-04-2020 12:45 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Hoosier

Thank you, that's a great idea, I have done that many times. I had an older coon hunter friend that used to love riding along with me listening to my dogs run and tree, he could not walk to the trees, but still enjoyed hunting with me. Sadly, he passed away, but we had many good HUNTS together. I am hindered these days with a torn ACL in my right knee, but I still hunt with the help of some of my friends that handle my dog. I SURE know the importance of having someone that HELPS you still enjoy this sport. United we stand, Divided we fall. Dave

Old Post 11-04-2020 06:01 PM
SLR
UKC Forum Member

X

Good deal Dave

Old Post 11-04-2020 06:49 PM
SLR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SLR Click here to Send SLR a Private Message Click Here to Email SLR Find more posts by SLR Add SLR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Re: Older Coon Hunters

quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier
Dave,

That's awesome!

Also, think of your area and an older guy who used to hunt but may not able to any longer. Call them on a nice night and ask them to ride along....hit smaller patches right by the road and maybe they could walk along. They will LOVE it and the reward will be yours in seeing the joy you brought to them.

I took my lifelong hunting buddy out the season before he passed. He hadn't had dogs for a couple years due to his health. We treed one close to the truck and walked in. I handed him the rifle, you could see the gleam in his eyes...at that moment he was a kid again. It was the last coon he ever killed...a memory i will always treasure.

Think about it!

Man that is a really cool story.

Old Post 11-04-2020 08:29 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
craig range
New UKC Forum Member

good deal

The best way to keep coonhunting alive and strong.

Old Post 11-04-2020 09:48 PM
craig range is offline Click Here to See the Profile for craig range Click here to Send craig range a Private Message Click Here to Email craig range Find more posts by craig range Add craig range to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

OLD friend

Well, a couple of my hunting buddies are going to take our old friend on a hunting trip to Indiania this month. He used to go up to Indiania every year and hunt, said he would like to make another trip to hunt the dog I gave him. Two of my friends have agreed to take him and his dog up there and handle his dog for him, he is excited about this trip. At age 86 these trips are precious and really mean something to him, although NONE of us are guaranteed tomorrow, we really appreciate things more as we age. I am so pleased to see him excited about one more hunting trip, I hope he has several more left in this life. Dave

Old Post 11-05-2020 10:11 PM
Coal295
UKC Forum Member

DAVE

Awesome- does all of our hearts good to know an old coon hunter is taken care of! May we all be so fortunate to have a friend like you in our later years Dave!

Old Post 11-05-2020 10:40 PM
Coal295 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coal295 Click here to Send Coal295 a Private Message Click Here to Email Coal295 Find more posts by Coal295 Add Coal295 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Good stuff!

Old Post 11-06-2020 09:35 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Everyone

I really appreciate all the kind remarks, I feel blessed to know that I have enabled an old friend to have a reason to hunt. Buddies took him hunting last night, his dog treed 2 singles they shot out, he was really pleased. I have to admit that I am just as pleased knowing that I gave him a decent dog that trees coons every night and puts that excitement back in to him to coon hunt. I truly got more out of this gift than he ever could know. Dave

Old Post 11-06-2020 11:27 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Giving

Update, my older hunting buddy and one of our younger friends took our old friend, the one I gave the dog to on a short 4 night hunting trip to Indiania. Tom will be 87 in Jan 2021 and has always loved to hunt in Indiania. Having a dog to hunt made him want to go one more time up to Indiania and coon hunt. They had high winds to hunt in but managed to tree 17 they shot out, hunting only to around 10 pm every night. Needless to say they had a fun trip and enjoyed themselves. Tom got to hear HIS dog run and tree coons every night. Folks that made my day, knowing I helped Tom get to enjoy " one more hunting trip". It's small things like this that means way more as I get older. Dave

Old Post 11-20-2020 03:32 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

That is super awesome for the both of you...👍😎
We need more folks like you...😇🧐

Old Post 11-20-2020 04:13 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote