UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dog's Locate
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hoosier
UKC Forum Member

Dog's Locate

Everyone loves a good distinct locate on a hound. We've all heard those locates that just raise the hair on the back of your neck and put a big smile on your face.

Did you ever have a dog that simply had no locate...at all?

What are some unusual things you have seen a dog do for a locate?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-25-2022 02:02 PM
Hoosier is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Click here to Send Hoosier a Private Message Click Here to Email Hoosier Find more posts by Hoosier Add Hoosier to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ed Hillenbrand
UKC Forum Member

Locate

A good locate can be a negative thing in competition. My dog has such a good locate, some with "me too" dogs will tree their dogs as soon as he lets out a deep locate. A good me too dog that makes no mistakes can be hard to beat.

Old Post 05-25-2022 05:18 PM
Ed Hillenbrand is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ed Hillenbrand Click here to Send Ed Hillenbrand a Private Message Click Here to Email Ed Hillenbrand Find more posts by Ed Hillenbrand Add Ed Hillenbrand to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Locate bark

There is nothing better than hearing a coon dog give a big locate bark. I absolutely love hearing a good locate bark. Dave

Old Post 05-31-2022 05:28 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Locate bark

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
There is nothing better than hearing a coon dog give a big locate bark. I absolutely love hearing a good locate bark. Dave

I agree…some cur dogs have an excellent locate ball that rolls over into a loud chop when looking at a hog…

Old Post 06-01-2022 01:54 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Re: Locate

quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hillenbrand
A good locate can be a negative thing in competition. My dog has such a good locate, some with "me too" dogs will tree their dogs as soon as he lets out a deep locate. A good me too dog that makes no mistakes can be hard to beat.

What would you prefer? A good locate? Or a dog that makes no mistakes? I prefer both. But, if it's one or the other, I'll take the one not making mistakes.

Old Post 06-01-2022 05:33 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

The first coon hound I ever owned was a female bluetick. I raised her from 8 weeks old. She had a bawl mouth on track and tree. Her first two years it was hard to quickly tell when she was looking up. As she matured physically and mentally she developed a locate that I could accurately tell when she was looking up. There were a couple of guys I hunted with regularly that could tell as well. Most who hunted with her on occasion were unable to tell until after it became obvious she wasn’t moving.

I hunted with Gr. Ch. Nt. Hood’s Finley River Jody for 10 yrs. She had one of the best locates I’ve ever heard on a hound. She would locate with 3-4 long bawls and roll into a machine gun chop. In competition, after hearing her locate and tree once, shady competitors would tree their dogs on her locate. That was exasperating but sometimes they got burned too on a tapped tree when Jody moved on.

Old Post 06-01-2022 03:43 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote