UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > UKC Dog Archives
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
truly
Banned

UKC Dog Archives

I would like to encourage UKC to consider some sort of archive [computerized] that would allow us [the dog's owners] to put together information about our hound that would be saved within UKC's files permanently. Many of us have put together what we think are nice stud dog ads in the classifieds section. Unfortunately if these threads/ads aren't updated periodically they get deleted. This forces us to go in weekly and do the "btt" or "refresh" thing. What I am suggesting is that if we put together what we feel is a true biography of a hound, with pictures, pedigree, a win record, photos of some offspring and any notable awards won by that hound , that UKC would tag that thread with an "ARCHIVE" marker that would keep that thread indefinately. Now many of you may be sick of hearing about my dog or someone else's dog, but someday, someone will wish that they could go back and get some great pics and info of a dog that is maybe back a few generations in a pedigree that interests them. Think about how helpful it is when threads get started about Ozarks Preacher, Rutans Bear Creek Princess, Skeans Dolly, and other dogs that are prominent in todays pedigrees,but not well known. Many have helped pull up what they can about dogs from the past [thanks christy! and others] but the simplicity of a newcomer to this sport of being able to punch in dogs in a pedigree that they are looking at buying into , and being able to get a substantive amount of info about most dogs in that pedigree. I have always appreciated that first and foremost UKC is a registry and that as a registry one of their most important purposes is to maintain lineages and promote the importance of understanding lineages and how they affect breeding accomplishments. I think having prominent dogs archived would be a great help in this area.
Please use this thread as a tool to encourage UKC to consider this idea, and also add any particulars that you would like to see in a program like this. A few questions- How prominent does a hound have to be? Who would control content on what is basically an open thread? Could the owner of the dog delete slanderous/negative content? Could someone who doesnt own the dog put together an archive? As an example- could someone who is a Spring Creek Rock fan put together an archive on Rock despite not ever having been the owner?
Tell me what you think.
I have included a link to my stud dogs ad that I feel would be worthy of being archived. Take a look at this ad and tell me- would you like to see this sort of content/info on Johnson Banjo? Hershbergers Spot? Logans Wild Clover? Old Sacket? Hammer III? How helpful could it be in researching pedigrees?
http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthrea...954#post1803954

75/1973

Last edited by truly on 01-27-2009 at 06:57 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-27-2009 06:52 PM
truly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for truly Click here to Send truly a Private Message Find more posts by truly Add truly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

I think it would be cool and useful.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 01-27-2009 06:58 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
truly
Banned

maybe there are just two folks here interested in knowing more about dog lineage?

Old Post 01-28-2009 04:34 AM
truly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for truly Click here to Send truly a Private Message Find more posts by truly Add truly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
truly
Banned

^^

_

Old Post 03-24-2009 06:46 PM
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Dude,

If you want to have your stuff "preserved".....copy and paste it on my message board at http://thecoonden.com

I don't prune my message board...it'll be there till the cows come home!

Old Post 03-24-2009 07:02 PM
Oak Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oak Ridge Click here to Send Oak Ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email Oak Ridge Find more posts by Oak Ridge Add Oak Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd K / UKC
Administrator

I'm with ya....sorta. What I want is a Performance Sire Profile option where, from the Performance Sire listing on the website, you can open a template and do a profile on your sire. Then anyone checking the list can open up your profile for complete info on the dog. It would stay up for a year at a time that way anyway. That would be cool!

Old Post 03-24-2009 07:04 PM
Todd K / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd K / UKC Click here to Send Todd K / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd K / UKC Find more posts by Todd K / UKC Add Todd K / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
truly
Banned

Joe, I am not sucking up to Todd/UKC on this but UKC is THE registry for folks interested in preservation of lineage. I have never been to coon den, I am sure it is a nice site, but UKC has always been around and most likely always will be. Will coon den be around thirty years from now? I bet UKC message boards will be.

Todd, the one year thing, and connecting it to a sire promotion deal [performance] could be a nice option, but what about the females? and what about hounds from years ago? some people have gathered some great info over the years about dogs from the past that wouldn't fit in that format. Could a new category be added to this website that would have its content not be deleted due to time but rather due to content? as in if someone posted inflammatory comments -it gets deleted. if someone has super long signature lines- they get deleted. no one can post without attaching their real name. UKC if they did this well could become the holder of all history of modern hounds.

Old Post 03-24-2009 07:41 PM
Loren Simpson
UKC Forum Member

I'm all for it.. I started a thread Old Pedigrees on the B&T message board and we had 6+ pages then it got deleted so we had to start over..

alot of us like to be able to trace our dogs back to the beginning..

#573-392-7119 cell 573-286-0431
Home of bunch of lowbred culls;
Saline Creek Smokin Sheba (DualGrCh Osage Stinger Joe x DualGrCh Schenker's Smokin Cindy)
Saline Creek Reba II (GrCh North Rivers Hard Cola (albert, medicine man bred) x Saline Creek Reba (Sheba's sister)
Saline Creek Beau (Millers Midnight Harry, (Eads bred) x Beauty, Myers/ Sting bred) co owner Will Simpson
GrNiteCh Chenoweths Cheyenne
NiteCh Party Queen (GrNiteCh Duelin Dan x GrNiteCh Ruby 2)
Mandy (littermate to Thunderstick & Lil Ann)
Saline Creek Jenna Jameson (GrNiteCh Kansas Hayes x GrNiteCh Dixie Gem) co owners Scott Rodden, Kyle Sears

Old Post 03-24-2009 08:01 PM
Loren Simpson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loren Simpson Click here to Send Loren Simpson a Private Message Click Here to Email Loren Simpson Find more posts by Loren Simpson Add Loren Simpson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jodaviess1
UKC Forum Member

TOP 10 REPRODUCERS LIST

BOTH CURRENT AND HISTORIC FOR THE COONHOUNDS. IS THERE A PLACE TO FIND IT HERE ON THE UKC SITE? THANKS. PERRY VESELY

Old Post 03-25-2009 12:56 AM
jodaviess1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jodaviess1 Click here to Send jodaviess1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jodaviess1 Find more posts by jodaviess1 Add jodaviess1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote