UKC Forums UKC Front Page :: Hunting Programs :: Dog Events :: Registration :: UKC Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Dog Events > Weight Pull harnesses
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
evedog1
New UKC Forum Member

Weight Pull harnesses

I'm looking for recommendations on a good weight pull harness for competition & potentially also for use around the home. Don't care about pretty but would like a harness sturdy enough to last through heavy use by multiple dogs.

~~~~~~
Anna C. Abney
Thunder Mountain Central Asian Shepherd Dogs
Home of the Total Central Asian Shepherd Dog
URO1 CH Foxfire's Hell Hath No Fury, CGC aka Astrid
www.thundermountaincas.com

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-03-2012 04:50 PM
evedog1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for evedog1 Click here to Send evedog1 a Private Message Visit evedog1's homepage! Find more posts by evedog1 Add evedog1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lucky Rock APBT
UKC Forum Member

Brown Dog Harness

http://www.weightpullharness.com/

NAPBTA President

Home to:
UWP, URO3, GRCH LUCKY ROCK'S LITTLE WARRIOR, CGC ~ ACHILLES

UWPV, URO1, USJCH, UWPCH, GRCH Lucky Rock's Lil' Orphan Annie

CH Blu Prints Found a Lucky Rock

Old Post 04-03-2012 05:06 PM
Lucky Rock APBT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lucky Rock APBT Click here to Send Lucky Rock APBT a Private Message Click Here to Email Lucky Rock APBT Visit Lucky Rock APBT's homepage! Find more posts by Lucky Rock APBT Add Lucky Rock APBT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
evedog1
New UKC Forum Member

Do they primarily make harnesses for APBTs & AmBulls & other short-coated dogs? I'd prefer someone who primarily makes harnesses for double-coated dogs like Malamutes or Newfies. The coat makes a huge difference in fit.

Working LGDs & PPDs
https://www.facebook.com/ThunderMountainCentralAsianShepherdDogs

Old Post 04-03-2012 05:23 PM
evedog1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for evedog1 Click here to Send evedog1 a Private Message Visit evedog1's homepage! Find more posts by evedog1 Add evedog1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CannonBP
UKC Forum Member

I got my harnesses from theworkingK9.com. Missy has had double-coated breeds and would probably do a good job of fitting for you.

Old Post 04-03-2012 05:35 PM
CannonBP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CannonBP Click here to Send CannonBP a Private Message Visit CannonBP's homepage! Find more posts by CannonBP Add CannonBP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EDANHILL
UKC Forum Member

I would like to try my hand at WP someday......but, I need a "tiny" harness!! Affenpinschers! Any suggestions on who would be able to help me pick the correct size & type for them?
Thanks in advance!!

Dani Rosenberry
Edan Hill Affens

Old Post 04-03-2012 06:21 PM
EDANHILL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EDANHILL Click here to Send EDANHILL a Private Message Click Here to Email EDANHILL Find more posts by EDANHILL Add EDANHILL to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kyle moor
UKC Forum Member

I pull my Kerry Blue Terrier and Rottweiler. I highly recommend Brown Dog. She fits all breeds, and I know quite a few malamutes that use her harness, so the coat isn't an issue. I also know A LOT of people that switched to her harness from the flat fabric style, and they *all* say they got a few more rounds of pulling out of their dog without any difference in training. Granted, it's not about the amount of weight they pull, but it kind of tells you her harnesses are a better fit and more comfortable on the dog when they really have to work.

There is a chihuahua that pulls in a Brown Dog, so size doesn't matter!

Sara

Old Post 04-03-2012 06:50 PM
kyle moor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kyle moor Click here to Send kyle moor a Private Message Find more posts by kyle moor Add kyle moor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RosewoodAPBT
UKC Forum Member

I agree, Missy at Brown Dog Design makes fantastic harnesses! I have 3 from her. And if I ever need to order any in the future, I will order from her again.

Home to some spoiled rotten APBT's...
2010 National APBT Champion Winner:
UWP GRCH 'PR' DMG Cali Girl's Rebellious Ruby, TT "Ruby"

UWP GRCH RSWD's One Little Bombtrack, TT "Rudy" (Co-Owned with Colt Ross)

'PR' OnyxBlue 6 Shot Ruger @ RSWD "Ruger"

Top Shotta's Risky Business, TT "Bizzy"

Redwood Coast Penny Lane (SBT) "Penny"

Old Post 04-03-2012 08:27 PM
RosewoodAPBT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RosewoodAPBT Click here to Send RosewoodAPBT a Private Message Click Here to Email RosewoodAPBT Find more posts by RosewoodAPBT Add RosewoodAPBT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
evedog1
New UKC Forum Member

Does anyone who uses her harnesses also use them for work around the home? I want more than just a competition harness. I'm looking at a convertible harness that can be used for weight pull, freight, & mushing depending on which traces are attached.

Working LGDs & PPDs

Old Post 04-03-2012 08:39 PM
4blues
UKC Forum Member

We need a file with the recommendations!

I pull with a Border Collie and love my harness from Harnesses by Carol. Several of our toy dog pullers have also gotten their harnesses from her and been very happy.

Old Post 04-03-2012 09:26 PM
4blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4blues Click here to Send 4blues a Private Message Find more posts by 4blues Add 4blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tigerdmw
UKC Forum Member

I bought my harnesses from Harnesses4less.com

She does a great job and her prices are fantastic!

Old Post 04-03-2012 10:45 PM
tigerdmw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tigerdmw Click here to Send tigerdmw a Private Message Click Here to Email tigerdmw Visit tigerdmw's homepage! Find more posts by tigerdmw Add tigerdmw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4blues
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by tigerdmw
I bought my harnesses from Harnesses4less.com

She does a great job and her prices are fantastic!

She also comes up with some fun combos with the colors!

Last edited by 4blues on 04-04-2012 at 03:02 PM

Old Post 04-04-2012 02:04 AM
4blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4blues Click here to Send 4blues a Private Message Find more posts by 4blues Add 4blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WPMalamutes
UKC Forum Member

I also use http://theworkingK9.com for harnesses for my malamutes

Old Post 04-04-2012 03:00 PM
WPMalamutes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WPMalamutes Click here to Send WPMalamutes a Private Message Visit WPMalamutes's homepage! Find more posts by WPMalamutes Add WPMalamutes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CannonBP
UKC Forum Member

Just a note about theworkingK9.com: I looked at her site earlier today and it appears that she is no longer going to be doing custom harnesses. Too bad; I really like mine.

Old Post 04-04-2012 04:16 PM
CannonBP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CannonBP Click here to Send CannonBP a Private Message Visit CannonBP's homepage! Find more posts by CannonBP Add CannonBP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WPMalamutes
UKC Forum Member

If you've gotten harnesses from her previously it is possible she'll make an exception. She's got a really hectic schedule right now between school, work & kids

Old Post 04-05-2012 12:46 PM
WPMalamutes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WPMalamutes Click here to Send WPMalamutes a Private Message Visit WPMalamutes's homepage! Find more posts by WPMalamutes Add WPMalamutes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bahamutt99
UKC Forum Member

Another vote for BrownDog Design. I don't know about a convertible harness -- don't harnesses for mushing need to be a different style, hooked up above the back rather than behind the dog? -- but they are some of the best competition harnesses out there. Seeing just how many top pullers use them is enough for me. I made the switch myself, and saw an immediate improvement in my girl's pulling style.

ETA: Here are some of the BDD harnesses I've gotten the chance to use. They're the real deal, IMO.

(Those 3 pics by Melissa Sheehan, True Colors Photography.)

(Last one is a cell phone pic. Sorry about the quality.)

* UWPCH UAGI UCDX URO1 'PR' Matrix's I Defy Gravity CGC TT WDS OFA - Loki, my heart ULTRAdog.
* ADBA/UKC CH CA UWPCH URO1 Gravity's Digital Rain Matrix CGC TT SDC1 WDS OFA - Terra, best little string bean in the Midwest.

Last edited by bahamutt99 on 04-05-2012 at 03:53 PM

Old Post 04-05-2012 03:29 PM
bahamutt99 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bahamutt99 Click here to Send bahamutt99 a Private Message Click Here to Email bahamutt99 Visit bahamutt99's homepage! Find more posts by bahamutt99 Add bahamutt99 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
evedog1
New UKC Forum Member

Multi-purpose harnesses are adjustable. The X slides up or down & you can remove the singletree section & attach regular traces higher up for mushing or freighting.

Thank you for everyone's recommendations! I believe I've found the harness for me. Gonna go with a Yukon convertible type harness.

Happy pulling!

Working LGDs & PPDs

Old Post 04-06-2012 12:17 AM
bahamutt99
UKC Forum Member

Just make sure the harness you're getting is "legal" for WP competitions if you plan on using it for them. I don't know if adjustable kinds or the ones with removable spreader bars are. It doesn't specifically say that they aren't in the WP rulebook, but I guess that would be up to the judge.

* UWPCH UAGI UCDX URO1 'PR' Matrix's I Defy Gravity CGC TT WDS OFA - Loki, my heart ULTRAdog.
* ADBA/UKC CH CA UWPCH URO1 Gravity's Digital Rain Matrix CGC TT SDC1 WDS OFA - Terra, best little string bean in the Midwest.

Old Post 04-15-2012 08:26 PM
bahamutt99 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bahamutt99 Click here to Send bahamutt99 a Private Message Click Here to Email bahamutt99 Visit bahamutt99's homepage! Find more posts by bahamutt99 Add bahamutt99 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
evedog1
New UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the tip, I didn't think of that. I hope it's legal, I'd hate to have to buy 2 harnesses!

Working LGDs & PPDs

Old Post 04-16-2012 09:34 PM
Mahoney86
UKC Forum Member

I purchased all of my harnesses through cdpits.com great custom designs, high quality product imo

Old Post 04-17-2012 05:29 PM
Mahoney86 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mahoney86 Click here to Send Mahoney86 a Private Message Click Here to Email Mahoney86 Find more posts by Mahoney86 Add Mahoney86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4blues
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mahoney86
I purchased all of my harnesses through cdpits.com great custom designs, high quality product imo

I too have a harness form CD Pit. Quality is excellent and the colors were exactly what I asked for, but I have never liked the way it fit my dog despite the fact that she asks for more measurements than most makers. I am currently working on replacing that harness with one from another maker.

My point is that each of the commonly used harness makers have good points but in the end it is going to come down to getting a harness that fits your dog the way you want it too. As a result, you may end up ordering more than one.

Old Post 04-17-2012 05:41 PM
shadowwolf
UKC Forum Member

For WP, definitely go with Brown Dog (www.weightpullharness.com). There are a lot of double coated dogs that use her harnesses.

You may have to get two harnesses if you're doing freighting as well as WP, as much as it sucks.

AADR CH UWPO UWPCHX Wolf Moon's Luna Eve CGC - "Luna"
AADR CH/UKC GRCH URO1 UWPS UGWPC1 'PR' Friefly CRGN Tell Me No Lies DNA-VIP CGC OFAca/pa - "Ryker"
AADR/ADBA/UKC CH UWP Caragan's Velvet Revolver CGC - "Lyric"
Wolf Moon's 3rd Time's The Charm CGC - "Duo"
UKC CH Howards WMK Gunslinger Girl - "Mika"

Old Post 04-17-2012 10:38 PM
shadowwolf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadowwolf Click here to Send shadowwolf a Private Message Click Here to Email shadowwolf Visit shadowwolf's homepage! Find more posts by shadowwolf Add shadowwolf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Integrity APBTs
UKC Forum Member

As several have stated...Missy at Brown DOg is the way to go. For serious pulling or just having fun, her harnesses are the best. Best fit, and she makes them in ALL sizes and for all breeds not just APBTs etc. For the person who asked about a very small harness,,,she makes them...we have a couple small ones from her...like Rat Terrier etc size...for future pups. Combined ANdrew and I have 13 harnesse from her, and will continue to go there if we need to!!!

Integrity APBT's
www.integrityapbts.com
Home of .....
Intl CH, UWPO UWPCHX GRCH Larum's Buckwild Bull
RBIMBS winner at PREMIER...one of only 3 APBTs to accomplish this!!
2011mTop Ten #2
2010 Top Ten #3
2009 Top Ten #1
2008 #3, 2007 #2, 2006 #5
2008 Top Ten All Breed Finalist #9
2007 Top Ten All Breed Finalist #6
2009 National AOM Winner
6 consecutive yrs in the Top Ten...and more to come!

" UNstoppaBULL"

Old Post 04-25-2012 01:53 PM
Integrity APBTs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Integrity APBTs Click here to Send Integrity APBTs a Private Message Click Here to Email Integrity APBTs Visit Integrity APBTs's homepage! Find more posts by Integrity APBTs Add Integrity APBTs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JonTempleton
New UKC Forum Member

Whoa

Wow. Those pitbulls are serious. I have a couple of Rottweilers. I wonder how they would do on that cart of bricks.

Old Post 04-27-2012 04:08 PM
JonTempleton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JonTempleton Click here to Send JonTempleton a Private Message Find more posts by JonTempleton Add JonTempleton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote