UKC Forums UKC Front Page :: Hunting Programs :: Dog Events :: Registration :: UKC Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Pointing Dog Program > best place to find broke dog?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
POP
UKC Forum Member

best place to find broke dog?

starting to look for a broke walk hunting bird dog.

dont have time for a pup...looking for a site or place that a person can find a good broke dog.

any sites or ideas? thank you.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-21-2011 02:48 PM
POP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POP Click here to Send POP a Private Message Find more posts by POP Add POP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fltwlk08
UKC Forum Member

Call Donald Bowyer @ 540-874-4814.
Sage Wind Kennels

Old Post 07-13-2011 01:42 AM
Fltwlk08 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fltwlk08 Click here to Send Fltwlk08 a Private Message Click Here to Email Fltwlk08 Find more posts by Fltwlk08 Add Fltwlk08 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron R
New UKC Forum Member

I have this female that I will sell. She is a young trial dog that I have ran in 3 trials and she has done awesome and the picture that I'm posting was taken (by her judge) during her very first trial on her 3rd find. She is broke on her birds, backs, force broke to retrieve, very classy moving, and stylish on point. She is line bred Fiddler/Go Boy sired by 4xCh Honky Tonk Icon and her dam was a walking shooting dog but retired early due to a broken back leg. She is also still pretty young, she will be 2yrs in Sept. and weighs 35lbs. Shoot me a pm if you would like to know more.

Here is one more pic taken while training.

Last edited by Ron R on 07-18-2011 at 02:51 PM

Old Post 07-18-2011 02:48 PM
Ron R is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron R Click here to Send Ron R a Private Message Find more posts by Ron R Add Ron R to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POP
UKC Forum Member

thank you both!

Ron she is a beauty!!!!!!

Old Post 07-24-2011 06:22 PM
POP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POP Click here to Send POP a Private Message Find more posts by POP Add POP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoshT
New UKC Forum Member

We usually have a few. Some of the best come from hunting preserves. We can hook you up. And we will show the dog hunting so you can see for yourself. Whatever you may
decide to do, please make sure to have the owner display
the dogs capabilities to your satisfaction.

http://www.trophytimegundogs.com/dogs_for_sale.html

Your online resource for Owens Dog Boxes, D.T. Systems Electronic Collars
and high quality German Shorthair Pointers.

Old Post 07-28-2011 03:35 PM
JoshT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JoshT Click here to Send JoshT a Private Message Click Here to Email JoshT Visit JoshT's homepage! Find more posts by JoshT Add JoshT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron R
New UKC Forum Member

Great advice Josh T. I will add that I would never buy a dog without seeimg it worked in the field and on birds. Besides getting a good look at the dog you also have the chance to see how the trainer handles it.

However, I will have to dis-agree with some of the best dogs coming from hunting preserves. To each his own.

Good Luck

Last edited by Ron R on 07-28-2011 at 09:55 PM

Old Post 07-28-2011 09:45 PM
Ron R is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron R Click here to Send Ron R a Private Message Find more posts by Ron R Add Ron R to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bghunter2001
New UKC Forum Member

finding a broke dog

I would highly advise to advoid Shady Meadows. For the last ten years he has been going to close his doors and from my experience he should have. I have made two trips to his Kennels and looked and several dogs. Not one of them was what they advertised. He is a dog broker / puppy mill. With below average breeding stock and a kennel full of rejects. He tried to sell several dogs, as broke dogs, that he had raised multiple litters out of that would not even point a bird in their own bird field. Enough about that. I second the NSTRA.com classifieds. Most of the dogs on there that have accumulated a couple points in NSTRA will have the foundation you are loocking for. In my experience a true wild bird dog will cost you some serious cash. If you can find a young NSTRA dog that has a foundation then build a bird dog my putting him in the woods you should be fine. There are a ton of nice dogs out there right now as the bird counts across the midwest are less than favorable and the economy has beat the kennel owners down over the last couple years.

Old Post 10-19-2011 03:34 PM
bghunter2001 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bghunter2001 Click here to Send bghunter2001 a Private Message Click Here to Email bghunter2001 Find more posts by bghunter2001 Add bghunter2001 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POP
UKC Forum Member

Re: finding a broke dog

quote:
Originally posted by bghunter2001
I would highly advise to advoid Shady Meadows. For the last ten years he has been going to close his doors and from my experience he should have. I have made two trips to his Kennels and looked and several dogs. Not one of them was what they advertised. He is a dog broker / puppy mill. With below average breeding stock and a kennel full of rejects. He tried to sell several dogs, as broke dogs, that he had raised multiple litters out of that would not even point a bird in their own bird field. Enough about that. I second the NSTRA.com classifieds. Most of the dogs on there that have accumulated a couple points in NSTRA will have the foundation you are loocking for. In my experience a true wild bird dog will cost you some serious cash. If you can find a young NSTRA dog that has a foundation then build a bird dog my putting him in the woods you should be fine. There are a ton of nice dogs out there right now as the bird counts across the midwest are less than favorable and the economy has beat the kennel owners down over the last couple years.

thanks!!!

Old Post 10-28-2011 12:05 AM
Andy Bedgood
UKC Forum Member

You can contact Wesley Downs in Alabama. Full time trainer that trials and judges alot of NASTRA trials. One of the most honest people that I know of. Will tell you everything and also show you the dogs. If you want good and if there is anything you dont like there will be no problem. Have 2 that come ffrom him that we are going to trial this year. Came very highly recommended from several trainers and trialers. His # 256-748-3453. Hope this helps.

Old Post 11-14-2011 07:42 PM
Andy Bedgood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Bedgood Click here to Send Andy Bedgood a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy Bedgood Find more posts by Andy Bedgood Add Andy Bedgood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POP
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Bedgood
You can contact Wesley Downs in Alabama. Full time trainer that trials and judges alot of NASTRA trials. One of the most honest people that I know of. Will tell you everything and also show you the dogs. If you want good and if there is anything you dont like there will be no problem. Have 2 that come ffrom him that we are going to trial this year. Came very highly recommended from several trainers and trialers. His # 256-748-3453. Hope this helps.

thanks Andy! i will give him a call!

i should have added that im not looking for a field trial dog, just one that i can go shoot birds over and have fun without much aggravation. thanks for all the replys!

Old Post 11-14-2011 08:56 PM
Mike_Flores
UKC Forum Member

Keep in mind that a started dog that's pointing and gun broke will find you birds and you'll be able to have fun hunting. Will save you a lot of money. Once started, they just need time hunted and you can polish them off how you see fit.

Old Post 11-15-2011 02:53 AM
Mike_Flores is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike_Flores Click here to Send Mike_Flores a Private Message Find more posts by Mike_Flores Add Mike_Flores to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy Bedgood
UKC Forum Member

The ones I am trialing are the same ones I walk hunt behind. Never met a more honest person to deal with and believe me have been burnt more than once by some other "big name" people.

Old Post 11-15-2011 01:40 PM
Andy Bedgood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Bedgood Click here to Send Andy Bedgood a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy Bedgood Find more posts by Andy Bedgood Add Andy Bedgood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POP
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Flores
Keep in mind that a started dog that's pointing and gun broke will find you birds and you'll be able to have fun hunting. Will save you a lot of money. Once started, they just need time hunted and you can polish them off how you see fit.

thanks Mike! thats probably what i need is a well started dog that just needs the miles put on him.
i will keep that in mind.

Old Post 11-15-2011 04:51 PM
POP
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Bedgood
The ones I am trialing are the same ones I walk hunt behind. Never met a more honest person to deal with and believe me have been burnt more than once by some other "big name" people.

thanks Andy! i will call and chat with him.

Old Post 11-15-2011 04:52 PM
ridley11
New UKC Forum Member

I also would advise you to avoid Shady Meadows.

Old Post 11-29-2011 04:30 AM
ridley11 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ridley11 Click here to Send ridley11 a Private Message Click Here to Email ridley11 Find more posts by ridley11 Add ridley11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote