UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > The Real Mountainmen
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bigtimberkennel
UKC Forum Member

Let me know when ya find some of that "cheap" gas.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-18-2014 09:07 PM
bigtimberkennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigtimberkennel Click here to Send bigtimberkennel a Private Message Find more posts by bigtimberkennel Add bigtimberkennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

I posted the story about Lewis Wetzel awhile back , This next mountain man was the man that he looked up to . Or so they say .

Jesse Hughes .

http://www.muzzleblasts.com/archive...s/mbo52-3.shtml

Gold Life member of G.P.A.A. #257936
Member of The Lost Dutchman's Mining Association #02890729

Old Post 02-09-2014 09:27 PM
chuck west is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chuck west Click here to Send chuck west a Private Message Find more posts by chuck west Add chuck west to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Here is some more reading for you smokepole men ,,,,I like em ,lol

http://www.blackpowderjournal.com/a...no2/index.shtml

Old Post 02-09-2014 09:55 PM
chuck west is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chuck west Click here to Send chuck west a Private Message Find more posts by chuck west Add chuck west to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Here's a nice place to hangout ,bat the breeze and get your gun supplies .

http://www.logcabinshop.com/

Old Post 02-12-2014 05:20 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Smile

I guess I need to dig out another tale for you guys . See what I can find in a bit .

Old Post 03-01-2014 04:24 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by chuck west
I guess I need to dig out another tale for you guys . See what I can find in a bit .

Rendezvous ,,, Its party time !!

http://www.thefurtrapper.com/rendezvous_sites.htm#1829

Old Post 03-02-2014 03:31 AM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Here is an interesting story about a mountain man. I need to do some more research on him .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Beckwourth

Old Post 03-05-2014 11:03 PM
bigtimberkennel
UKC Forum Member

Didn't find him as interestin' as the guy left for dead & made it to the town months later.

Old Post 03-05-2014 11:40 PM
bigtimberkennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigtimberkennel Click here to Send bigtimberkennel a Private Message Find more posts by bigtimberkennel Add bigtimberkennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

OK ,Im easy to get along with ,lol , lets try this guy .

Whether this story is true or not I don't know , because in Calhoun County WVA is grave and monument to him .

Mike Fink

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-mikefink.html

Old Post 03-06-2014 12:10 AM
Jeff Ashmore
UKC Forum Member

Excellent Story Chuck

Very good Chuck and i am sure every word is true. My oldest son Andrew had his sister and best friend hold graghm crackers in their hand while he shot it in 1/2 with his pellet gun at a distance of 15 paces of a 7 year old. When Cheyenne age 3 and Drew age 3 came in to ask for another package. Ellen ask how they went through them so fast. Cheyenne said Andrew only lets us eat the 1/2 in our hand. Ellen asked what happened to the other 1/2? Andrew shot out of their hand it fell on the ground and that was the dogs share. Ellen was quite upset. I came home and asked to see all 3 with Ellen watching me intently, I said: Andy son, did you shoot either of these 2 or the dog? He said no. Did you use a gun that would kill a animal? He said Yes, my pellet gun. I then said did you miss at 7 paces of a seven year old? He said no I never missed. Then I asked Drew and Cheyenne if he missed and they said no never.

Then with Ellen's eyes bearing down on me like the july sun, I pronounced the verdict:

Don't shoot Graghm Crackers out of their hands ever again, That many Graghm Crackers might make the beagle sick to his tummy. Its not polite to waste food.

Honest truth, Jeff

Old Post 03-06-2014 05:57 PM
Jeff Ashmore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Ashmore Click here to Send Jeff Ashmore a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Ashmore Find more posts by Jeff Ashmore Add Jeff Ashmore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

quote:
OK ,Im easy to get along with ,lol , lets try this guy .

Whether this story is true or not I don't know , because in Calhoun County WVA is grave and monument to him .

Mike Fink

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-mikefink.html

Here is the other Mike Fink .

http://www.hurherald.com/cgi-bin/db...ld&id=11572

Old Post 03-06-2014 06:39 PM
bigtimberkennel
UKC Forum Member

That was better.

Old Post 03-07-2014 12:40 AM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Question

Jeremiah Johnson ,, Fact or fiction ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver-Eating_Johnson

Old Post 03-18-2014 07:13 PM
Jeff Ashmore
UKC Forum Member

Read the Book.

The Crow Killer, very good read. It seems old Liver-Eating Johnson liked to cook biscuits and bragged about his cooking all the time. Well once he and 2 trapping partners got holed up at their cabin in a canyon by Indians.

Well old Liver- Eating had a back way out, so before they left he made a extra large batch of biscuits with stryknine in them and they escaped. Well the Indians stormed the cabin and found all the warm biscuits. Next time they were back that way they found about 30 dead Indians, seemed they liked his biscuits to much.

Old Liver eating was a pretty crude customer when it came to Indians he didn't like. Read the book.

Jeff A.

Old Post 03-18-2014 07:45 PM
Jeff Ashmore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Ashmore Click here to Send Jeff Ashmore a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Ashmore Find more posts by Jeff Ashmore Add Jeff Ashmore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Guess I'll go to the store and buy this book , been trying to find an E book library online to read some books rather than buying . Right now the only books I am buying are the leather bound Louis L'Amour books .

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/cro...n=9780253203120

Old Post 03-26-2014 07:50 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Re: Read the Book.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Ashmore
The Crow Killer, very good read. It seems old Liver-Eating Johnson liked to cook biscuits and bragged about his cooking all the time. Well once he and 2 trapping partners got holed up at their cabin in a canyon by Indians.

Well old Liver- Eating had a back way out, so before they left he made a extra large batch of biscuits with stryknine in them and they escaped. Well the Indians stormed the cabin and found all the warm biscuits. Next time they were back that way they found about 30 dead Indians, seemed they liked his biscuits to much.

Old Liver eating was a pretty crude customer when it came to Indians he didn't like. Read the book.

Jeff A.

The wife just gave me this book 2 days ago ,, too wet and windy to set out on the deck and read it but the big easy chair is calling me ,,lol

Old Post 04-28-2014 03:01 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Read the Book.

quote:
The wife just gave me this book 2 days ago ,, too wet and windy to set out on the deck and read it but the big easy chair is calling me ,,lol
My wife hid my book ,lol

Old Post 06-24-2014 06:10 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Found my book and I'll start on it later .

This isn't a tale of a mountainman but a time in history ,, The 7th Cavalry .

http://www.friendslittlebighorn.com...ter%20Rolls.htm

Old Post 10-14-2014 11:05 PM
cameronk
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Rendezvous ,,, Its party time !!

http://www.thefurtrapper.com/rendezvous_sites.htm#1829

I have visited the rendezvous sites at Riverton and Daniel Wyoming. I can only imagine what these places looked like years ago when these events were being held.

These really were amazing men. Before the settlers, ranchers, homesteaders, and cowboys were populating the west the old beaver trappers were pushing further into the wilderness and exploring land that only the Indians had seen. These mountain men were the ones who opened up the west.

Great thread Chuck!

Old Post 10-17-2014 02:28 PM
cameronk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cameronk Click here to Send cameronk a Private Message Click Here to Email cameronk Find more posts by cameronk Add cameronk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Smile

quote:
Originally posted by cameronk
I have visited the rendezvous sites at Riverton and Daniel Wyoming. I can only imagine what these places looked like years ago when these events were being held.

These really were amazing men. Before the settlers, ranchers, homesteaders, and cowboys were populating the west the old beaver trappers were pushing further into the wilderness and exploring land that only the Indians had seen. These mountain men were the ones who opened up the west.

Great thread Chuck!

Thanks for your comments , yeah one can only imagine what it was like 200 years ago and what these old boys had to endure . If you have any pics to share or info/tale , jump right in and get your feet wet . I still say I was born 200 years too late !!

Old Post 10-17-2014 06:19 PM
cameronk
UKC Forum Member

Another colorful western trapper that had some interesting times was John Colter. If you guys haven't read about him check him out.

Old Post 10-17-2014 06:45 PM
cameronk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cameronk Click here to Send cameronk a Private Message Click Here to Email cameronk Find more posts by cameronk Add cameronk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by cameronk
Another colorful western trapper that had some interesting times was John Colter. If you guys haven't read about him check him out.
You're talking of this man , right ?

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-johncolter.html

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/pho...n%20Man-500.jpg

Last edited by chuck west on 10-17-2014 at 09:12 PM

Old Post 10-17-2014 09:09 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Here is a link to look at stories of just about anyone who lived in that era .

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-explorerindex.html

Old Post 10-17-2014 09:17 PM
cameronk
UKC Forum Member

quote:
You're talking of this man , right ?

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-johncolter.html

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/pho...n%20Man-500.jpg

That's him.

Old Post 10-18-2014 03:17 AM
skeets
UKC Forum Member

thank you chuck.

Old Post 10-20-2014 08:10 AM
skeets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skeets Click here to Send skeets a Private Message Click Here to Email skeets Find more posts by skeets Add skeets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote