UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Redbones > & people wonder why the walker breed is so dominate
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

Richard the philosopher and mr .Royce there is another registry also called chkc..The largest first place for three years running in the history of our sport with a 42,500 first place with the leaves off coming soon..perfect conditions for any breed that is a coon dog..Held in aurora Kentucky in march which is not coon zoo..Mr.Richard me and old bear are getting along just fine.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-08-2014 03:19 PM
John B.Dalton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John B.Dalton Click here to Send John B.Dalton a Private Message Visit John B.Dalton's homepage! Find more posts by John B.Dalton Add John B.Dalton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

John, I wonder how many Redbones (Numbers ?) will be there. Will you and Bear be there? One of my hnting buddies used my spotlight a couple of nights ago and now he wants one too.

Old Post 11-08-2014 03:58 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Royce Taylor
UKC Forum Member

John, I like everything CHKC is doing so far. I just haven't had time to make hardly any hunts due to family sickness but hope to get to try some of their hunts in 2015.

662-538-4763

Old Post 11-08-2014 08:43 PM
Royce Taylor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Royce Taylor Click here to Send Royce Taylor a Private Message Click Here to Email Royce Taylor Find more posts by Royce Taylor Add Royce Taylor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Outlaw
UKC Forum Member

Guys numbers dont help you when its your dog against three other dogs in a cast. It all comes down to individual dog power...thats it! They are either better than the competition on that particular cast on that particular night....or they get beat. Does anyone remember a plott dog who won the world hunt? There were probably less plotts in that hunt than any other breed that year....
Its nice to see redbones competing in higher numbers and that does help get more of them placed in the hunt.....but a dogs INDIVIDUAL skill and performance in the casts he competes in is the only thing that will get him to that final cast or to the top of the winners list at the end of the year. None of the other redbones entered in the same hunt will have any bearing on another redbones performance in his cast against the dogs he drew out with.
There are some good redbones out there in competition today.....very few are what I call top level contenders though. Even with one of the best...you still have to have some luck that you dont lose your dog....that you get a good guide.... that you dont get a crooked judge...and other things that you and your dog cannot control to win big at that level because most of the other dogs that are there are there because they are top level players. You seldom dominate casts at those hunts....most dogs will be split and it will come down to who can find their coons and make less mistakes because every dog on your cast is probably of pretty equal skill level.
I see guys talk about numbers on her alot...... but I compete in big hunts on a regular basis and I have found that the number of other redbones at any particular hunt is irrelevant to how my dog does at that hunt.
I do think that most people pretty well know if they have a dog that can win against the best walkers out there......and thats why most choose not to show up with their dog and enter....
Its easy to sit back in front of a computer and say I got a dog as good as those walkers.....but its much harder to show up, enter that dog and back up what you say online. I applaud the men and women who consistently show up and measure their redbones against the best of the other breeds....whether they win or lose....at least they tried and learned something.
I do think that any hunt held with the leaves off is an advantage to redbones because if there is one big hole I see over and over again in the other breeds....its that they have accuracy problems. And when the leaves are on...far too many of them get circled on trees that would be minused if the leaves were off. I can say this with certainty after carrying a thermal imaging scope on pkc and acha casts where they are allowed and seeing soo many trees circled because of leaves that absolutely had no coon in the tree. I have been beat many times by dogs who didn't get the minus they deserved because the leaves hid the truth.
Good luck getting the major registries to hold their world hunts with leaves off though...because I suspect entries might be way down...lol
Accuracy is one thing that I believe the redbone breed has more of on average than the other breeds.... but we only get the full advantage of that in the winterand early spring and thats when the least hunts are held.
And while that is one of the breeds best traits....we still lag on other important traits....on average compared to other breeds doing a lot of winning.
Thats where people who hunt in these top level competition hunts get a first hand look at where other breeds are excelling and the redbones need improving. You simply cannot see this by going to small hunts, comparing your dogs to your buddy's dogs or sitting behind a computer.
Look, you dont have to take my word for it....or Royce's word or anyone else's.... but if I wanted to know how the best redbones are stacking up against the best walkers in top level competition... I would ask someone who hunts them at that level on a regular basis.
Every breed has room for improvement guys....and that includes our breed.
I am just one guy who knows where we come up short a lot in competition and I am working with others to try to improve those areas in the lines of dogs I am working with. I think the breed is improving....from a competition standpoint....but we still have work to do.... so lets keep focused, keep measuring results against the best yardstick we can find....and put the redbone breed on top in the competition world!

Hoosier Outlaw / Moonlight Redbones
1994 American Redbone Coonhound Association Hunter of the Year
My first 3 redbones raised from pup's were:
Dual Gr.Ch. Outlaw Billy the Kid
Dual Gr.Ch.- PKC Ch. Outlaw Timber Girl
Dual Gr.Ch. Outlaw Scarlett Fever
(((( Current Favorites ))))
2013 AKC Ladies World Champion
Gr.Nt.Ch.- PKC Ch- AKC Ladies World Ch Ky Moonlight Breanna
Gr.Nt.Ch. - PKC Ch. Ky Moonlight Woody
Dual Grand Moonlight Deana
Dual Grand Ch.- PKC Ch. Moonlight AfterShock
Dual Grand Nighty Night Amber
Gr.Nt.Ch. Moonlight Big Time Britt
Gr.Nt.Ch Outlaw Billy Jean
Gr.Nt.Ch-PKC Ch.-2015 PKC Red Days Champ Outlaw Cherry Bomb
Gr.Nt.Ch Outlaw Breeze
Gr.Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch. All Grand Outlaw G-Man (over $20.000 won in PKC & CHKC) 2019 Southern Redbone Days Overall Champion
Gr.Nt.Ch. Moonlight Outlaw Mac
Gr.Nt.Ch. Classy Cali (Heavy Outlaw bred)
Gr.Nt.Ch. Moonlight Cat Scratch Fever
Gr.Nt.Ch. Moonlight Addiction
Gr.Nt.Ch. Moonlight Overdose
Gr.Nt.Ch. Moonlight Jinx
Gr.Nt.Ch. Moonlight Banshee
"Always outnumbered...Never outgunned!"
To enjoy lots of pics and videos of out redbones, find me on Facebook
as Shenandoah Maxey

Old Post 11-08-2014 09:19 PM
Hoosier Outlaw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Outlaw Click here to Send Hoosier Outlaw a Private Message Click Here to Email Hoosier Outlaw Find more posts by Hoosier Outlaw Add Hoosier Outlaw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

Brother Richard I will definitely be there..Bear probably not ..I make my living behind the table of my supply set up..If I started winning a bunch no one would buy anything ..did manage to get a little bit won on him the other night and will plug along to get him qualified for our state hunt(chkc)..Mr.royce I hope your family situation will improve to try a few of these hunts..a good dog and some luck will find someone clutching a pretty nice check..They also have a couple of truck hunts scheduled with no leaves on also..P.S. Richard send your friend my way or sell him yours and I will ship you another one

Old Post 11-08-2014 11:23 PM
John B.Dalton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John B.Dalton Click here to Send John B.Dalton a Private Message Visit John B.Dalton's homepage! Find more posts by John B.Dalton Add John B.Dalton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by John B.Dalton
......If I started winning a bunch no one would buy anything ..did manage to get a little bit won on him the other night......

Do like me and get you a Pro handler.

Old Post 11-09-2014 02:41 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chad Byrd
UKC Forum Member

I've seen it posted so many time that it takes a coondog to win all these events ! To some extent that is true you do need a dog that trees them suckers on a regular basis ! However it is just my opinion but it takes a team to compete with the big boys , first dog and handle have to work as one , dog must tree the meat and the handler needs to truly know the dog. Next you can't do it all alone if you bring home paychecks like mine , can't be at every hunt gotta make the bacon. You need others on your team as well that know your dog as well as you do ! JMO

WELL BLENDED KENNELS

Greatly Missed

NTCH SHCH BWC's Coon Fetchin Gretchin (T-Rex X
Daisey)

My only goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks i am ! (Jeff Foxworthy)

Old Post 11-10-2014 07:27 AM
Chad Byrd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chad Byrd Click here to Send Chad Byrd a Private Message Click Here to Email Chad Byrd Find more posts by Chad Byrd Add Chad Byrd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

What might work.

Just for example: The UKC World hunt. If 20 real good Redbones were to get through the zones and into the top 100. Then our chances of having a Redbone UKC World Champion would greatly improve.
This past year we had 4 Reds in the top 100. 2 of them made the top 15.
The competition is real real good, we still might not win it, but we would have a much better chance at it.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 11-10-2014 01:13 PM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: What might work.

quote:
Originally posted by jdgher
.... If 20 real good Redbones were to get through the zones and into the top 100. Then our chances of having a Redbone UKC World Champion would greatly improve.......

..Numbers......Now therein lies the problem. If we just had 20 "real good Redbones".

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 11-10-2014 at 02:22 PM

Old Post 11-10-2014 01:35 PM
Stacey Welch
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Royce Taylor
John, I like everything CHKC is doing so far. I just haven't had time to make hardly any hunts due to family sickness but hope to get to try some of their hunts in 2015.

Hope your family gets well. My son hunted in a CHKC youth event, I really like what they do for the youth. We just need a little higher powered dog and I could see chasing those.

Old Post 11-10-2014 04:26 PM
Stacey Welch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stacey Welch Click here to Send Stacey Welch a Private Message Click Here to Email Stacey Welch Find more posts by Stacey Welch Add Stacey Welch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

Brother Richard ...with all of those red dog guys that you hob nob with are you trying to tell me there are not twenty good redbones ?? I was hoping I could get on the phone and you could point me towards a stem winding female !

Old Post 11-10-2014 06:32 PM
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

Stacey the youth events that have been held in Oklahoma were some of the best I ever seen..actually getting young people interested that had never been on a coonhunt and right many have caught the fever..One child at a time..treat them right and fair and it will snowball.

Old Post 11-10-2014 06:35 PM
tylerman
UKC Forum Member

Re: What might work.

quote:
Originally posted by jdgher
Just for example: The UKC World hunt. If 20 real good Redbones were to get through the zones and into the top 100. Then our chances of having a Redbone UKC World Champion would greatly improve.
This past year we had 4 Reds in the top 100. 2 of them made the top 15.
The competition is real real good, we still might not win it, but we would have a much better chance at it.

Who where those 2 dogs and what are their parents and grandparents

**We can START your puppy**

The natural quick starters make us all look good while others require a little more patience and effort. Whatever it takes to get your pup started, that's what I'm gonna do.

Call for reservations or references.
574-709-9205
Camden Indiana

Mark-thanks for the ZEPPS

NT CH. CH. PR NEON RED FIRM FANNY -(gr.nt.ch grch Hard Rock/ntch snakeden hollow Jane)

NT CH PR COLLINS NEON RED DOC DA QUEENY -grch ntch desperado/queen

NT CH SH CH pr 3D

NTCH PR Rocky Top Neon Red Cayenne-grntch peels burning pepper/dykes tn. red autumn

NTCH pr Mosquito Creek Faith-grntch squeller/mosquito creek red rose

NTCH pr Neon Red Barnyard Hot Tody....grntch harry x grntch toadie

NTCH pr Peels Neon Red Nuclear Pepper

Neon Red Stump...Grntch barnyard horse Harry x Ntch rockytop neon red Cayenne

Neon Red Blood ...grntch barnyard gun

Neon Red Doc Tody...ntch yellow river doc x ntch neon red hot tody

Newby...ntch 3D x Ntch rockytop neon red Cayenne

Old Post 11-10-2014 09:19 PM
tylerman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tylerman Click here to Send tylerman a Private Message Click Here to Email tylerman Find more posts by tylerman Add tylerman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: What might work.

quote:
Originally posted by tylerman
Who where those 2 dogs and what are their parents and grandparents

Looking backward or looking forward????? I don't know about ancestors but I know where some of their offspring are.

Old Post 11-11-2014 03:52 PM
tylerman
UKC Forum Member

Looking at reality. ..is that dog outa the 2 dogs in the finals of ukc....1 dog...outcrossed or line bred...has it won.......meeeee

The natural quick starters make us all look good while others require a little more patience and effort. Whatever it takes to get your pup started, that's what I'm gonna do.

574-709-9205
Camden Indiana

NT CH. CH. PR NEON RED FIRM FANNY -(gr.nt.ch grch Hard Rock/ntch snakeden hollow Jane)

NT CH SH CH pr 3D

NTCH PR Rocky Top Neon Red Cayenne-grntch peels burning pepper/dykes tn. red autumn

Old Post 11-11-2014 03:58 PM
tylerman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tylerman Click here to Send tylerman a Private Message Click Here to Email tylerman Find more posts by tylerman Add tylerman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by John B.Dalton
Brother Richard..... I was hoping I could get on the phone and you could point me towards a stem winding female !

I have gotten too old for stem winders any more. I only have "old man dogs" now. This one is not wound up tight yet but she is on her way. And yes her mother was one of the best that I have hunted with. She only made the UKC Top 100 three times and Top Twenty twice.

Old Post 11-11-2014 04:02 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

The first pup is line bred, half brother/sister cross. I know pretty much what he will be like. I really don't care if he is exactly like his sire, dam or his grandparents on the top or bottom. I have hunted with them all a lot and like them all. The second is an outcross so we will just have to see what happens with her. She has the genes. It just depends on how they line up.

Old Post 11-11-2014 04:13 PM
tylerman
UKC Forum Member

They are good looking dogs

574-709-9205
Camden Indiana

NT CH SH CH pr 3D

Old Post 11-11-2014 04:17 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by tylerman
They are good looking dogs

Thanks, I like them. (Meeeeee)

Here are the females that I know of that have made the Top 100 and could still produce pups....

Layton's Classy Calli
Front Seat Fanny
Mosquito Creek Lick
Guitar Ghost's Mississippi
Steve-O and Chilli's Red Flow

Are there more?

Wasn't Fanny bred to Joe, who was also in the Top 100? How old are those pups now?

Old Post 11-11-2014 04:50 PM
Wingpatch
UKC Forum Member

Theres some fine looken pups...

CROOKED RIVER DUDE... 5/14/04--2/20/12.....[ PLOTT ]

GASCONADE RIVER GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLIE [ TOAD & MOLLY ANN ] ENGLISH

HONEST OPEN MOUTH, STAY PUT TREEDOGS.. THAT CATCH GAME.....

573-765-5461

****I USE AND RECOMMEND LEMS LIGHTS***

Old Post 11-11-2014 06:26 PM
Wingpatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wingpatch Click here to Send Wingpatch a Private Message Click Here to Email Wingpatch Find more posts by Wingpatch Add Wingpatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Troy Arnold
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Thanks, I like them. (Meeeeee)

Here are the females that I know of that have made the Top 100 and could still produce pups....

Layton's Classy Calli
Front Seat Fanny
Mosquito Creek Lick
Guitar Ghost's Mississippi
Steve-O and Chilli's Red Flow

So if a guy had a almost 4month old female pup that Guitar Ghost's Mississippi was a grandma on the top side and this pups mom is a littermate to Boone's mom Reba. This guy could be pretty excited about this pup possibly having it in her to be a real coondog and a reproducer? There are alot more good redbones behind her too but these 2 were mentioned on here as Top 100.

Redbones
CH Baptist Baxter
Baptist Bella

Old Post 11-11-2014 07:16 PM
Troy Arnold is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Troy Arnold Click here to Send Troy Arnold a Private Message Click Here to Email Troy Arnold Find more posts by Troy Arnold Add Troy Arnold to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
josh tetting
UKC Forum Member

fanny x joe pups

Are just over one year so if any are worth anything they should start showing up in hunts this spring

CH, FCH,GRNTCH Ice Ages' Front Seat Fanny 2011 world finalist at 2 years old
Temp home of Grch, Fch, GrNtch Wades Red Busko

Old Post 11-12-2014 03:55 AM
josh tetting is offline Click Here to See the Profile for josh tetting Click here to Send josh tetting a Private Message Click Here to Email josh tetting Find more posts by josh tetting Add josh tetting to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

That is one of the problems with pups. Fanny and Joe were in the Top 100 in '11 and '12. It will be 2017 before they will be old enough to do any good in the World. Most hunters will have forgotten who Joe and Fanny are.

Old Post 11-12-2014 02:33 PM
George pouliott
UKC Forum Member

Walker dogs

Every hunt ive been to has been walker dominant ! 16 dog's my redbone 1 bluetick and 14 walkers . Odds stack up and hunting feeders alot . I don't have no world beaters but there pretty honest ! I've only ever hunted against 1 other redbone 2 maybe 3 times rest is walker's sure I'm a poor handler still learning but i take my minuses gracefully because i know eventually through my hard work I'll have something to shut them walker boy's up atleast for a little while . But i will say this all over facebook and the boards there's more walker dogs for sell then anything I've ever seen .

Old Post 09-14-2016 01:00 AM
George pouliott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for George pouliott Click here to Send George pouliott a Private Message Click Here to Email George pouliott Find more posts by George pouliott Add George pouliott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, a blast from the past... Where in the world did this thread come from? Will there be any Red females in the Top 100 this year?

Old Post 09-14-2016 04:53 PM