UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Garmin Alpha Dog Tracking and training System (NEW)
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Mark Zepp
UKC Forum Member

This video is a great overview of the Alpha, 4 minutes

http://youtu.be/vY_cV-pRdkc

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-31-2012 06:31 PM
Mark Zepp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Zepp Click here to Send Mark Zepp a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark Zepp Find more posts by Mark Zepp Add Mark Zepp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

You can add your buddies collar without the collar being close. You can also let your buddy be able to shock your dog OR just track the dog.

The build of the collar is alot like most Tri-Tronics collars which means its built better than the DC40's.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 07-31-2012 06:48 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
K. Singletary
UKC Forum Member

Is this the only system Garmin will offer going forward or will they also continue to offer and improve a track only system?

ChNtCh Allnite Gypsy Girl

Old Post 07-31-2012 09:06 PM
K. Singletary is offline Click Here to See the Profile for K. Singletary Click here to Send K. Singletary a Private Message Click Here to Email K. Singletary Find more posts by K. Singletary Add K. Singletary to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark Zepp
UKC Forum Member

Hello Mr. Singletary!

Garmin will continue to produce and sell the Astro 320 and DC 40 and I am sure they will, as they have always done, continue to make improvements on those products as well.

I think that is your question, right?

Warmest regards,

Mark

Old Post 07-31-2012 09:16 PM
Mark Zepp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Zepp Click here to Send Mark Zepp a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark Zepp Find more posts by Mark Zepp Add Mark Zepp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Guess I'll see how much the new marshal is. Tri tronics just is not a quality unit anymore. I hate it as much as anybody. To the tune of however much my g3 trashbreaker and 2 collars were. Its a good idea combining them though.

Old Post 07-31-2012 09:54 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
R_Wilson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by GA DAWG
Guess I'll see how much the new marshal is. Tri tronics just is not a quality unit anymore. I hate it as much as anybody. To the tune of however much my g3 trashbreaker and 2 collars were. Its a good idea combining them though.

that new marshall is gonna be rediculous on price buddy but i bet it will be flawless...

HOME OF 2011 ST.JUDE CHAMPION
HATCHIE RV. MAX

FUELED BY:
SPORTMIX 24/20

Old Post 07-31-2012 10:13 PM
R_Wilson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for R_Wilson Click here to Send R_Wilson a Private Message Click Here to Email R_Wilson Find more posts by R_Wilson Add R_Wilson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smokin-1-mo
UKC Forum Member

I AM NOT VERY GOOD AT WORKIN MY SMART PHONE,HOW USER FRIENDLY IS THIS THING FOR US HILLBILLYS HERE IN MISSOURI...I LIKE THE LOOKS OF IT....

Old Post 07-31-2012 11:07 PM
smokin-1-mo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for smokin-1-mo Click here to Send smokin-1-mo a Private Message Click Here to Email smokin-1-mo Find more posts by smokin-1-mo Add smokin-1-mo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark Zepp
UKC Forum Member

Hello Mr. Ghosthunter!

If you read between the shadows, or I mean the directions , you'll see this ALPHA has a really neat feature called "Rescue " mode, which I think should have been called Extended Battery Life mode.

You can set it on this "Rescue"mode and when 70% of your battery is used up in the collar, the update rate on the collar will switch from 2.5 seconds to 2 minutes, which means the collar with "ping" a signal every 2 minutes instead of 2.5 seconds.... by doing this, you extend the life of the collar to almost 2 full days, or 44 hours.

Hope this helps with some of your concerns.

Warm regards,

Mark

Old Post 07-31-2012 11:09 PM
DestinysDemon
UKC Forum Member

It looks nice. But I would have to sell my kidney to get one lol!

Old Post 07-31-2012 11:16 PM
DestinysDemon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DestinysDemon Click here to Send DestinysDemon a Private Message Click Here to Email DestinysDemon Find more posts by DestinysDemon Add DestinysDemon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

I love my garmin but have no faith in anything tri tronics has made in the last few years. Quality and customer service were both poor.
Guess i will wait and see if these units pass the coonhunter durability test. Dont know if i like the touch screen idea or not, they are easy enough to crack on a phone.

Old Post 07-31-2012 11:17 PM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark Zepp
UKC Forum Member

Smokin-1-mo,

I lived in MO for about 10 years...I don't own a smart phone because I can't run one....but the ALPHA is very user friendly....

I think everyone will love the features!

Mark

Old Post 07-31-2012 11:18 PM
tra_cline
UKC Forum Member

So if I start my "ping" out at 2.5 min how long will the battery last/

Travis Cline
828-216-2329

Old Post 07-31-2012 11:22 PM
tra_cline is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tra_cline Click here to Send tra_cline a Private Message Click Here to Email tra_cline Find more posts by tra_cline Add tra_cline to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ryan1988
UKC Forum Member

mr mark zepp

if you dont mind me asking where in the ozark moutains was this tested at 3 miles?

Old Post 07-31-2012 11:24 PM
Ryan1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ryan1988 Click here to Send Ryan1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ryan1988 Add Ryan1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adam Hibbs
UKC Forum Member

I think gun dog is selling these for $799. If the Tri Tronics works as good as it says it could be worth it. Looks like a nice unit but im not spending my money until the bugs are worked out. The new collar is enough to make me want one though.

Old Post 07-31-2012 11:24 PM
Adam Hibbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adam Hibbs Click here to Send Adam Hibbs a Private Message Click Here to Email Adam Hibbs Find more posts by Adam Hibbs Add Adam Hibbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Yall don't hunt any ukc hunts do you? I can't use a simple little hunt timer on my phone in a ukc hunt. These will never go over.

Old Post 07-31-2012 11:28 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
R_Wilson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by john Duemmer
I love my garmin but have no faith in anything tri tronics has made in the last few years. Quality and customer service were both poor.

I couldnt Agree more. Bad part is ALL Ive ever used is TT till recently. I am not the only one that has these feelings though.

Care too touch on that Mr. Zepp? Why has the quality of TT gone down hill??

Thanks

HATCHIE RV. MAX

FUELED BY:
SPORTMIX 24/20

Old Post 07-31-2012 11:30 PM
R_Wilson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for R_Wilson Click here to Send R_Wilson a Private Message Click Here to Email R_Wilson Find more posts by R_Wilson Add R_Wilson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ryan1988
UKC Forum Member

you are right ga dawg it willnt for either kc!

Old Post 07-31-2012 11:30 PM
Ryan1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ryan1988 Click here to Send Ryan1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ryan1988 Add Ryan1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
R_Wilson
UKC Forum Member

these will be allowed in PKC. They are supposed to be working on the rules and have them fixed before these units start to ship...or thats how i read it

HATCHIE RV. MAX

FUELED BY:
SPORTMIX 24/20

Old Post 07-31-2012 11:33 PM
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

If they cant be used in the hunts they are sure to flop. But i suspect the KCs. will amend their rules to allow them with the prongs removed. Time will tell.

Old Post 07-31-2012 11:35 PM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark Zepp
UKC Forum Member

Ryan - Rolla area

Tra - You have the choice of setting the "Rescue" mode at anytime during the hunt. The standard update rate on ALPHA is 2.5 seconds.... it is 5 seconds on the 220 and 320.

If you leave the collar set at the standard 2.5 update, it will run right at 24 hours. If you set the "Rescue" mode, it updates at 2.5 seconds, until there is 30% power left in the collar, then it automatically switches over to the 2 minute update rate which extends the life to 44 hours.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Old Post 07-31-2012 11:36 PM
Ryan1988
UKC Forum Member

thanks mr zepp! id like to see how it works in this part of the ozarks!

Old Post 07-31-2012 11:40 PM
bigdaddy74
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by john Duemmer
If they cant be used in the hunts they are sure to flop. But i suspect the KCs. will amend their rules to allow them with the prongs removed. Time will tell.
Will that void the warranty of the garmin? I want to know for sure before I invest 800 in it.

Old Post 08-01-2012 12:08 AM
bigdaddy74 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigdaddy74 Click here to Send bigdaddy74 a Private Message Find more posts by bigdaddy74 Add bigdaddy74 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mattkiser269
UKC Forum Member

Im pretty sure the prongs are designed to be removed for that very reason (the hunts)

Old Post 08-01-2012 12:13 AM
mattkiser269 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mattkiser269 Click here to Send mattkiser269 a Private Message Find more posts by mattkiser269 Add mattkiser269 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TQS_Kennel
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
It doesn't look like this one will be legal for UKC or PKC competition. Also, I wonder what the TT range is?

How will it be any different than running a tracking collar and a seperate e-collar in a hunt?

[color=#FF0000][b]
{R.I.P} GRCH GRNITECH 'PR' Bolden's High Dollar Sackett II ~ Performance Sire 2010

We also raise Miniature Schnauzer Puppies: www.TrammellsQualitySchnauzers.com

Old Post 08-01-2012 12:16 AM
TQS_Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TQS_Kennel Click here to Send TQS_Kennel a Private Message Click Here to Email TQS_Kennel Visit TQS_Kennel's homepage! Find more posts by TQS_Kennel Add TQS_Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ryan1988
UKC Forum Member

it doesnt matter it is the rules! dont matter if the prongs are in it or not!you still have the hand held with you! maybe allen or todd will tell

Old Post 08-01-2012 12:19 AM