UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What does membership mean to you?
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jeffrey robinso
UKC Forum Member

I surely don't do it to get a pat on the back, I do it for the love of the sport. I know people who have to ride 2+ hours just get to the closest club to them and I try to help out every club that I can so I don't have the same problem. Every time one of these clubs has a hunt listed in Bloodlines that is thanks enough for me.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-15-2014 09:21 PM
jeffrey robinso is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jeffrey robinso Click here to Send jeffrey robinso a Private Message Click Here to Email jeffrey robinso Find more posts by jeffrey robinso Add jeffrey robinso to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TBO kennels
UKC Forum Member

What happened was the TV and Internet. Heck what more do you need?

Dave Trumbo II
Kouts, IN
219-309-9257
Home of :
"GR NT CH TBO's Lucy Lawless"

R.I.P. :
"GR NT CH Chief Executive"
"GR NT CH Trumbos Lady"

Old Post 07-15-2014 10:59 PM
TBO kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TBO kennels Click here to Send TBO kennels a Private Message Find more posts by TBO kennels Add TBO kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gregory Kemp
UKC Forum Member

Okay, I usually don't get into this subject very much, but this is a good post and I try to always stay positive. I might just go re-join my local club. I come from the years where there were 90-100 dogs per event. Now its 5-7 dogs. The main reason here at our clubs are ATTITUDES! I know this hits a sore subject, but Im being honest and other folks should do the same. Here are some opinions that I hear from time to time from hard pleasure hunters in my area that used to hunt a lot of hunts. (Remember, I stated they are there opinions not mine) But, I do agree with some of there opinions.
1. I hear from a lot of hunters in my area that when they go to (3 yes I said 3) local clubs here in my area, that they do not feel welcome, so in turn they don't go back. (I know if I go and don't feel welcome, I will not go back) Years ago, everyone knew everyone and we all got along, seemed that jealousy wasn't guite as bad as it is now.
2. They go to there local clubs and want to guide and the club says they cant and they draw out with the same old regular face at the club, which in turn you hear: Why do I want to go and pay money to draw out with so and so, they are always quiding and you are at a disadvantage before you get started.
3. Kslim did hit on a subject with if you do get to guide a cast, the cast members go back in to your hunting spots the next week.
4. I don't think Nite Hunt titles carry as much weight as they did lets say 10 yrs. or so ago, and that is not just with UKC. Folks around here don't care to much for *KC titled money dogs because they win without plus points.
Do titles and money won make certain dogs any better in ability than others??? I've hunted for 35 years now and I will tell you NO! I have hunted with World Champs and on some nites they are just plain old dogs!

So, people have enough stress in our society now a days, and they don't want to have put up with a lot of riff-raff (LOL) stuff at nite hunts. When I started hunting the hunts it was fun, peaceful and a family atmosphere. Boy, all that has sure changed! I still hunt the Nite hunts to help the clubs and carry on a family tradition!

So, I am all ears how to fix club memberships. These scenarios are just a few of many.

*Nt. Ch. Black Magic Roscoe's Hot Persuit (aka Jr.) one win toward Gr. Nt. Ch. ($120 dollars won in PKC).
(Nt. Ch. Winner of Princeton, W.Va. Blk. and Tan Sectional 2012). HTX winner. 5th place winner 2014 Black and Tan Days Thursday night. SIRE OF THE 2015 U.K.C. WORLD COONHOUND RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION!

*Kemps Little Reed Blk. Chester (1st and 2nd place wins in UKC) (two wins in A.C.H.A.) (pup off of Jr.) FULL LITTERMATE TO THE 2015 UKC RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION !!
Mr. ACCURATE!

*Nt. Ch. Kemps Little Reed Blk. Prowler (1st place UKC World Qualifier '09, 6th Place Hi Scoring Blk. and Tan at Southeastern Treeing Walker Days, '07).

The Kemps (Greg, Vickie, Erica, and Noah)
6 Little Vine Rd.
Hillsville, Va. 24343
276-733-8590

Last edited by Gregory Kemp on 07-15-2014 at 11:49 PM

Old Post 07-15-2014 11:10 PM
Gregory Kemp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gregory Kemp Click here to Send Gregory Kemp a Private Message Click Here to Email Gregory Kemp Find more posts by Gregory Kemp Add Gregory Kemp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I don't know about anybody else's club but I can't count how many benefits our club has had for people that weren't even members and took money out of club funds to do it where these unfortunate people were out of options they always asked why because that's what it's for !

Old Post 07-16-2014 01:15 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

So I am reading all these "here is why I don't support my club" reasons and I just don't get it.....

Yup, there are some real JERKS in the world...but it doesn't matter if you are in the woods hunting on a night hunt, or standing in line at Walmart....there are JERKS everywhere....

I would venture to say that every club member in every club in the nation can find at least one thing they don't like...most could find a dozen if they thought about it....

Not every club is going to be A#1, but it is our job as members to affect a change..... If folks don't feel welcome, by gosh go shake their hand and hand them a "free" cup of coffee.... If you don't get to guide....suck it up....your turn will come soon enough, bring it up at the next business meeting and suggest ways that are fair to everyone that wants to guide...complaining about it, sticking you toe in the sand and refusing to go back are not going to fix things.

Again, sounds like a lot of complaining about all the things that are wrong, and no real effort to make a change for the good..just write it off and say the heck with it.... that will fix things!

I've seen club members who went to every meeting to vote AGAINST change....they exist... but when things change they still show up. They complain, they moan, and they are generally unhappy....

So I guess the choice is ours....to stay the course, be a producing member of a club, or to go the way of those old "hard pleasure hunters who used to hunt in a lot of hunts".... you know, the ones that sat aside and watched the world change around them and long to live in the world of the past...

Old Post 07-16-2014 02:34 AM
Oak Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oak Ridge Click here to Send Oak Ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email Oak Ridge Find more posts by Oak Ridge Add Oak Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RAT Mafia
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Oak Ridge
So I am reading all these "here is why I don't support my club" reasons and I just don't get it.....

Yup, there are some real JERKS in the world...but it doesn't matter if you are in the woods hunting on a night hunt, or standing in line at Walmart....there are JERKS everywhere....

I would venture to say that every club member in every club in the nation can find at least one thing they don't like...most could find a dozen if they thought about it....

Not every club is going to be A#1, but it is our job as members to affect a change..... If folks don't feel welcome, by gosh go shake their hand and hand them a "free" cup of coffee.... If you don't get to guide....suck it up....your turn will come soon enough, bring it up at the next business meeting and suggest ways that are fair to everyone that wants to guide...complaining about it, sticking you toe in the sand and refusing to go back are not going to fix things.

Again, sounds like a lot of complaining about all the things that are wrong, and no real effort to make a change for the good..just write it off and say the heck with it.... that will fix things!

I've seen club members who went to every meeting to vote AGAINST change....they exist... but when things change they still show up. They complain, they moan, and they are generally unhappy....

So I guess the choice is ours....to stay the course, be a producing member of a club, or to go the way of those old "hard pleasure hunters who used to hunt in a lot of hunts".... you know, the ones that sat aside and watched the world change around them and long to live in the world of the past...

Amen is all I have to say. I have put up with all the mentioned above and refuse to let it drag me down after 25 years.

Old Post 07-16-2014 03:06 AM
RAT Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RAT Mafia Click here to Send RAT Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email RAT Mafia Find more posts by RAT Mafia Add RAT Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gregory Kemp
UKC Forum Member

Everyone that wants our sport to grow instead of it continually dying needs to elect officers that will work, change attitudes, go out in there community to other hunters that made these clubs a success and invite them back to there clubs. Hey, its a start.

The hard pleasure hunters Joe are the back bone of our sport! Just like the middle class is the back bone of our workforce in our great country.

Attitude goes along ways!!! Example and you use the word "jerks" Yes, there are jerks everywhere but, do you go into a store and there is a jerk who runs the store, he or she treats you snobbish or doesn't appreciate your business, do you go back to that store?? I wouldn't. I certainly will take my business elsewhere. Again, change the image and attitudes and you will see an increase in numbers. This is my point, Im not complaining. Im just trying to help our sport grow and Im being honest. To be honest it was better for our clubs when it was in the past because again we drew 90-100 dogs for our local hunt.
Joe, Im not trying to rub ya the wrong way, I too, want our clubs to grow! Sorry if ya think I did, it was not intended that way.

*Nt. Ch. Black Magic Roscoe's Hot Persuit (aka Jr.) one win toward Gr. Nt. Ch. ($120 dollars won in PKC).
(Nt. Ch. Winner of Princeton, W.Va. Blk. and Tan Sectional 2012). HTX winner. 5th place winner 2014 Black and Tan Days Thursday night. SIRE OF THE 2015 U.K.C. WORLD COONHOUND RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION!

*Kemps Little Reed Blk. Chester (1st and 2nd place wins in UKC) (two wins in A.C.H.A.) (pup off of Jr.) FULL LITTERMATE TO THE 2015 UKC RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION !!
Mr. ACCURATE!

*Nt. Ch. Kemps Little Reed Blk. Prowler (1st place UKC World Qualifier '09, 6th Place Hi Scoring Blk. and Tan at Southeastern Treeing Walker Days, '07).

6 Little Vine Rd.
Hillsville, Va. 24343
276-733-8590

Old Post 07-16-2014 03:50 AM
Gregory Kemp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gregory Kemp Click here to Send Gregory Kemp a Private Message Click Here to Email Gregory Kemp Find more posts by Gregory Kemp Add Gregory Kemp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Greg,

You are not rubbing me the wrong way....

I appreciate your viewpoint, and at no time have I tried to, or at least meant to, undermine your viewpoint. You have valid points, I'm just trying to look at them in a different light is all.

Human nature is such that it is so much easier to be negative about most everything than it is to be positive about anything. It doesn't matter if it is at the club house, or at the workplace, ONE person who starts banging the negative drum, and before you know it everyone in the place is mad at something!

I call them the pied piper of negativity... They think they want to be in charge, and they truly believe that by pointing out all of the things that are wrong with a situation they are helping. They find anything and everything wrong in any situation, yet they can't seem to find anything positive to say, even a suggestion to fix what is wrong.

Test it yourself...go to work one day in a fantastic mood, whistling, singing....happy as can be. Go to the break room or water cooler and find the pied piper of negative....and if you don't try REALLY hard, you will join in the "here is what is wrong with this place" conversation. I'm pretty sure you won't walk away from that conversation whistling!

All I'm doing is trying to be the pied piper of POSITIVE....

Complaining about a problem without proposing a solution is called....WHINING.

Last edited by Oak Ridge on 07-16-2014 at 04:38 PM

Old Post 07-16-2014 04:27 PM
Oak Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oak Ridge Click here to Send Oak Ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email Oak Ridge Find more posts by Oak Ridge Add Oak Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gregory Kemp
UKC Forum Member

Joe, now I see where you are coming from. You are correct, and I never thought you were trying to undermine my postings.

I have a moto at my workplace which is the local school system and I try to share it with my employees: 4 ways to become more optimistic.

1. Choose happiness each day. Example: Look for good in all situations, soon, seeing the bright side will become a habit.

2. Talk yourself into optimism. Example: To prime the positivity pump, tell yourself its going to be a good day as soon as you wake up.

3. Make a 'good stuff' list. Example: Count your blessings or jot down things you've enjoyed recently for a quick mood pick up.

4. Light up someone else's day. This is where the attitude thing kicks in. Example: Volunteer, send a friend a cheery note , thank a cashier warmly. Every day is full of opportunities to make life a little better for others- and for yourself at the same time.

I know that is somewhat off the subject at hand but, I wanted to share it and maybe it would help with someone who is dealing with a lot of negativity in there life. I know it really made me look at my life a few years ago. Especially number 3. Just think about how many blessings each of us have had.

Joe, I hope you receive some more input on this post it is very intriguing to look and see what folks have posted. But, to get back to the orginal thread topic. The club means to me tradition, heritage, and carrying on into the next generation of hunters a good club. So, each member should work hard to help make sure all those things happen for our next generation.
Your friend in hunting! Greg

Mr. ACCURATE!

6 Little Vine Rd.
Hillsville, Va. 24343
276-733-8590

Last edited by Gregory Kemp on 07-16-2014 at 08:04 PM

Old Post 07-16-2014 08:00 PM
elvis
UKC Forum Member

I hate "clicks".
It is the reason I never hunted much in another KC and is the reason I quit my local club of many years.

I now live 30 seconds away from a new club. I am not a member.
I will cut the grass, fix the gutters, push the snow, unlock and lock the doors, set up water race and field trial courses and most anything else they need done. But I will not be involved with the politics of a club.
I must say they treat me real well in return by letting me use the facility from time to time and for that I am grateful.

I believe in this way I can give back to the sport that has done so much for me, without being a member of a club.

Old Post 07-17-2014 12:34 AM
elvis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for elvis Click here to Send elvis a Private Message Find more posts by elvis Add elvis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buck brush
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by elvis
I hate "clicks".
It is the reason I never hunted much in another KC and is the reason I quit my local club of many years.

I will cut the grass, fix the gutters, push the snow, unlock and lock the doors, set up water race and field trial courses and most anything else they need done. But I will not be involved with the politics of a club.
I must say they treat me real well in return by letting me use the facility from time to time and for that I am grateful.

I believe in this way I can give back to the sport that has done so much for me, without being a member of a club.

good post Marv, this is the same way i feel,there is to much bull wiyh a lot of people.

gone but will never be forgotten

PR Van Dusen's Hanna o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Maggie o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Mickey o/h
PR Buck Brush Copper o/h
D NTCH PR Crooked Oak Boss o/h
D NtCH PR Alford's Alibi h
NTCH PR Alford's Hatchet h
NT CH PR Mill's Dotty h

Old Post 07-17-2014 01:59 AM
buck brush is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buck brush Click here to Send buck brush a Private Message Click Here to Email buck brush Find more posts by buck brush Add buck brush to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by elvis
I hate "clicks".

Marv,

You put in more work for that club than 99% of the "members"..... You are a member, you just don't admit it. We appreciate the donation of your time and effort, it means alot to us.....thank you.

I'm not sure we have enough members to have a "click".... Maybe it's there and we just don't see it but I hope not.

Old Post 07-17-2014 04:51 PM
Luvmyhorse
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Marv,

You put in more work for that club than 99% of the "members"..... You are a member, you just don't admit it. We appreciate the donation of your time and effort, it means alot to us.....thank you.

I'm not sure we have enough members to have a "click".... Maybe it's there and we just don't see it but I hope not.

I agree 100% with Joe. Please know you and Kathy are both greatly appreciated. Thank you both for all you do for us!

Oakridge Treeing Walkers and Newlin Quarter Horses
www.oakridgecoonhounds.com

Old Post 07-18-2014 02:58 AM
Luvmyhorse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Luvmyhorse Click here to Send Luvmyhorse a Private Message Click Here to Email Luvmyhorse Visit Luvmyhorse's homepage! Find more posts by Luvmyhorse Add Luvmyhorse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: membership

quote:
Kevin,

I'm curious how this is the club's fault?

I understand how that could be a little frustrating for you....but at the end of the day, we have to all get along or our chosen sport won't last.

I'm not about to say that this didn't happen, but with dwindling hunting spots due to urban sprawl, and in my area 99% of the wood lots are leased to deer hunters, we all have to learn to play in the same sand box.

I've met some guys that hunted five or six nights a week, then come hunt nights "don't have any hunting" and couldn't guide a cast..... and they lied about it for the same reason you are upset.... bottom line, they didn't last long in the sport, they were just too uptight.....

Maybe if you realized that it isn't about circling what is "mine" and inviting some of those guys to go hunting during the week with you, and enjoying their company and making friends....you will last longer in coon hunting and it will become a whole lot more enjoyable to you....

Kslim took me hunting about 15 years ago when I was just a kid. Took me several times and introduced me to other local Hunters. Anyhow like most kids I hunted a few years, then got a car and started hanging with buddies and chasing girls. Fast forward 15 years, I'm back into hunting, and this past winter we got to go hunting again. I have to say it was pretty cool. Fortunately I had a slightly better hound this time around.

Kslim, didn't really put his post in context, we live in area where most state lands have 6 lane highways going through. Most big wooded private lands are bought up by doctors, and no one but family can get on. Most farmland is stripped clean. I often cut loose within 50 yards of a 6 lane highway, and force my dog to hunt away from it, always positioning myself in between the dog and highway in case the track would turn around. I've shocked my dogs off of coon tracks countless times in order to keep them from crossing a busy road. So to say our hunting land is at a premium is an understatement. However due to the low number of hunters there are still enough spots to go around. Unfortunately what most guys do is don't kill coon in there spots but drive to another hunters area that the hunter shown them and kill there coon, to reward there dog. This is what Kslim is talking about. This has been a long standing problem in this area. The silly part is if most of these guys would pick up a few dog psychology books,and truly understand how a dog is wired, they would realize that there is no need to drive over to the other guys spot, to knock coon out to his dogs, at least not at the risk of hurting a friendship.

I think the biggest thing that hurts clubs is the generation gap. Most guys my age with a family and small children just simply do not have the time and energy. Therefore most clubs will end up having a generational gap,and the younger generation learns new ways to connect with people that share the same passions but are closer in age. The internet and public forums. The only problem with that is the local community suffers. Until the two are combined both will suffer, the old guys at the club need to understand how the younger generation communicates, Facebook,Twitter,you tube, text messaging. Clubs and businesses that understand these tools and take advantage of them will succeed in the next generation, the ones that don't well let's just I hope they can prove me wrong.

In fact I would even consider arguing that social media platforms eliminate the need for a club house.

Last edited by Fisher13 on 07-19-2014 at 04:50 PM

Old Post 07-19-2014 04:43 PM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

You know, a couple of years ago all three of my children were seated on the same sofa....texting each other.

Social media is ruining our ability to interact and relate to each other face to face. So we should all just sign up for facebook and chat about hunting instead of joining a local club....sounds like that will improve our events and will pay the taxes and get the grass mowed at the clubhouse!

Remember, it takes a club to hold an event. Maybe we all buy the new coon hunting video game, sign up for one social media outlet or another and just "pretend" we are hunting.....

Maybe, just maybe if we all got together once a month, and sat down across the table from one another, we would find it easier to see each other as fellow human beings with similar likes and desires, it would be easier for us to respect each other...and our hunting spots. It is a little tougher to stab someone in the back, if they are facing you!!!!

Old Post 07-19-2014 08:16 PM
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

quote:
You know, a couple of years ago all three of my children were seated on the same sofa....texting each other.

Social media is ruining our ability to interact and relate to each other face to face. So we should all just sign up for facebook and chat about hunting instead of joining a local club....sounds like that will improve our events and will pay the taxes and get the grass mowed at the clubhouse!

Remember, it takes a club to hold an event. Maybe we all buy the new coon hunting video game, sign up for one social media outlet or another and just "pretend" we are hunting.....

Maybe, just maybe if we all got together once a month, and sat down across the table from one another, we would find it easier to see each other as fellow human beings with similar likes and desires, it would be easier for us to respect each other...and our hunting spots. It is a little tougher to stab someone in the back, if they are facing you!!!!

Joe I agree with most of your points however I never said it was a better form of communication that is whole another debate. I was just stating that it is the form of communication of the younger generation and one of the reasons there is a generational gap in a lot of clubs. Also that in my opinion for a club to progress it needs to be active in using those tools.

Last edited by Fisher13 on 07-19-2014 at 08:22 PM

Old Post 07-19-2014 08:20 PM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobbycagle1
UKC Forum Member

This is a really great post! There's been a lot of good answers on here, and I can't really argue with any of you. Everyone is making somewhat of a valid point. I think times are changing fellows. Were competing with the time factor and burnout. People are tired and too busy. And lets face it, money for some is keeping them away.
Also, most hunters hate hunting in the summer. Canning summertime hunts, deer and Turkey season ukc hunts will help tremendously!

Remember, communication is key! We need to communicate better to our members. Getting information out earlier. Calling them on the phone and going and visiting them always helps! People need to feel like they belong, and belonging to great club is a great thing! I enjoy my club and the fellowship I have with them! Thanks for the post!

Old Post 07-20-2014 04:49 AM
bobbycagle1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bobbycagle1 Click here to Send bobbycagle1 a Private Message Click Here to Email bobbycagle1 Find more posts by bobbycagle1 Add bobbycagle1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jake Appel
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jeffrey robinso
I feel that UKC should require a person to be a member of a coon club in good standing to enter a hunt. It isn't fair for 2 or 3 people at each club to do all the work to put on a hunt for somebody else to have all the fun.

100% Agree

CH.NT.CH.'PR' APPELS BLUE OAK GERT
GR.CH.GR.NT.CH. MANNS WILD N BLUE MINDY III
CH.GR.NT.CH. APPEL'S BLUE OAK BOOMIN' JET
GR.NT.CH. APPEL'S BLUE OAK GUNSMOKE
GR.CH.NT.CH. APPEL'S BLUE OAK GERT'S LADY
GR.NT.CH. APPEL'S BLUE OAK HONEY BEE
NT.CH. APPEL'S BLUE OAK SMOKIN GUN

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
GR.CH.GR.NT.CH.'PR' SHELTONS SMOKEY RIVER FLY
GR.CH.NT.CH. 'PR' APPEL'S BLUE OAK TIMBER
GR.CH.GR.NT.CH.'PR' APPELS BLUE OAK BULLET-- 9TH PLACE 2008 UKC WORLD
GR.CH.GR.NT.CH.'PR' APPELS BLUE OAK JET 6 ECHO

Old Post 07-20-2014 05:27 AM
Jake Appel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jake Appel Click here to Send Jake Appel a Private Message Click Here to Email Jake Appel Find more posts by Jake Appel Add Jake Appel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobbycagle1
UKC Forum Member

I was trying to think about everyone attending the hunts at our local clubs around here. I believe just about everyone attending is members of one of our clubs. Membership required for entering a hunt is not a big deal for me. But im for whatever works!

We need an attendance increase! We need to be able to have youth cast during a regular hunt! We need to do more for our youth, for they are our future. Youth shouldn't have to hunt with some of these slick and competitive handlers out their. Jmo

We need to do something in creating an incentive to get our grand dogs off the porch. Ive been crying for another title, like supergrand. Jmo

Old Post 07-20-2014 03:47 PM
bobbycagle1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bobbycagle1 Click here to Send bobbycagle1 a Private Message Click Here to Email bobbycagle1 Find more posts by bobbycagle1 Add bobbycagle1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jason2579
UKC Forum Member

I was a member of our local club from the time I was 14 till about 30 minus a few years in between cause of college and service. But what alot people don't get sometimes people's personal life changes. Curveballs get thrown in it and people have to adjust to the situation. Much like me got divorce I got the kids and now I was a single dad. Couldn't make hunts like before couldn't contribute my time at the club like before. Then you see guys from the club house and ask how's it going out there and you get well such and such is talking crap about you cause your a member and haven't been there to help and this one says this and this one says that and their gonna have a meeting and for those that are members can't start contributing there just gonna stop giving you a membership. So after going to this place since I was a kid ( a club my grandfather and his friends started back in the late 60's the oldest club in iowa) I just stopped being a member. When they called and if I could guide or judge, hunt director etc if I could I did if I couldn't I didn't so I didn't hear about being a worthless member. Instead I pay my state membership fee and that's it. Being there for my kids is more important I only hit 1 hunt this year I'm busy getting ready to send one threw college buying a new home working extra hours to do this when life slows down I'll get back at it. But now since some think ukc should make it to where I should belong to local club before I can hunt in a comp hunt if I got free time to make it to a hunt I can't now cause I'm not member and I don't want be member cause I can't contribute to the club and don't want club members talking crap about it. Well guess if I get time I just won't comp hunt then. Like some said back in glory days which I remember too yes families were there kids stayed with there moms dads went out hunted. Well times of changed unfortunately some of us have to change with it. Maybe if there was so much bs with being club member and other appreciate the time that others can do with what time they got to do it with they get or at least keep the members they got. But for me as of now club member I won't be. Far as im concerned if a club or ukc decided to turn down a entry fee because of it oh well either way it won't stop me from going to the woods.

NT CH Bullets Iowa River Squirt
Five star state hunt championship 2nd place
Five star qualifier 1st place win.
Bbcha sectional high scoring male
World hunt qualified 2009
9th place open bluetick reunion
Davis's Iowa River Striker ( Squirt X J and N's Blue Night Sky)

BnJs Sugar Babe.
Hitting the comp hunts 2015

"Whatever works for you"

Old Post 07-20-2014 06:07 PM
jason2579 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jason2579 Click here to Send jason2579 a Private Message Click Here to Email jason2579 Find more posts by jason2579 Add jason2579 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobbycagle1
UKC Forum Member

I don't know, but there are a lot of good ideas out there to boost club numbers. I believe if we can get more people out to the hunts, we can get more members, and more people helping out.

Old Post 07-22-2014 04:20 AM
chip johnson
UKC Forum Member

you can not get more members in a club if you dont get more coonhunters. Back in the 80's there was a coonhunter every couple miles down the road, nowdays its a couple coonhunters per fifty miles down the road. I guess most people like their sleep, I like too hear my hounds.lol

Old Post 07-22-2014 02:22 PM
chip johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chip johnson Click here to Send chip johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email chip johnson Find more posts by chip johnson Add chip johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
horsesandhounds
UKC Forum Member

This is the case in most everything now. I show horses and due to the costs, I had to cut down my memberships with clubs to just the clubs I will attend the most shows with. Can't justify paying $50 membership fee each year for a chance at year end awards when I might only attend and earn points at one show. I've switched to more local competitions and clubs. Gas costs is a big factor.

www.passchendaelefarm.com

Old Post 07-22-2014 05:12 PM
horsesandhounds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for horsesandhounds Click here to Send horsesandhounds a Private Message Click Here to Email horsesandhounds Visit horsesandhounds's homepage! Find more posts by horsesandhounds Add horsesandhounds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jason2579
UKC Forum Member

Let's see between art shows and sports , concerts and plays, practices and hobbies some of us are busy with life. I noticed that most the members that complain had or has kids that either didn't play sports or their kids are grown up and out. I personally soon have my children say dad never missed a game or practice instead coonhunting always came first. It use to amaze me how many times I've heard your going to game well heck there will be others. Guess I follow my dad's example he hunted but never missed a game. Heck in high school I'd play then we would hunt. Guess my point is why penalize a coonhunter for not being a " club member " when he's taking of his personal business. Some maybe at the point in their life where they can contribute all their time to hunting and club events some can't some may soon hunt then watch their kids game some may want to be at the game no matter what. Bottom line clubs will go up and down in membership a lot do to what's going on in their members lifes. Peroid. Not trying stir the pot it's just facts.

NT CH Bullets Iowa River Squirt
Five star state hunt championship 2nd place
Five star qualifier 1st place win.
Bbcha sectional high scoring male
World hunt qualified 2009
9th place open bluetick reunion
Davis's Iowa River Striker ( Squirt X J and N's Blue Night Sky)

BnJs Sugar Babe.
Hitting the comp hunts 2015

"Whatever works for you"

Old Post 07-23-2014 04:12 AM
jason2579 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jason2579 Click here to Send jason2579 a Private Message Click Here to Email jason2579 Find more posts by jason2579 Add jason2579 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

True enough, my kids are grown and gone. That doesn't mean I stop being a parent, and now I've got a pretty good crop of Grandchildren....

I'm proud to say that I never made my children pay for my club membership. Fact is that they too were involved in club activities, and they enjoyed going to the club, and participation in the events.

Yes, it was difficult at times to balance little league, FFA, band practice, football, softball, drama club, speech meets, academic Olympics, and every other extra curricular activity that came down the pipe...and still be a member....but I wasn't ever looking for a reason NOT to be member. I knew that I didn't have the time to be a club officer, but I sure as heck made sure that I could free up enough time to mow that grass at the club house once in a while, and I remember working in the kitchen one night, while my kids helped...after draw out, I took them all home and put them into bed, and went BACK to the clubhouse to fix the breakfast for when the casts started pouring back in....

Did I have a lot of time to devote to a club...NO, but did I do what I could....YES I certainly did....

I didn't have all the time to hunt that I wanted to...but I didn't quit.... I found a way, because it was important to me.

Old Post 07-23-2014 04:31 AM