UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > tattoos
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
blues07
UKC Forum Member

tattoos

how many people tatoo there dogs and were at and how old

i did my female at bout 2 months or something like that in her ear my dad told me back then they use to put it in there lips and inside if there thighs and they use to brand them to i just tatoo mine

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-11-2009 01:25 PM
blues07 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blues07 Click here to Send blues07 a Private Message Click Here to Email blues07 Find more posts by blues07 Add blues07 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blues07
UKC Forum Member

btt

Old Post 11-11-2009 02:27 PM
blues07 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blues07 Click here to Send blues07 a Private Message Click Here to Email blues07 Find more posts by blues07 Add blues07 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM

With microchips, I'm not sure why anyone would still want to tattoo.

Old Post 11-11-2009 03:03 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blues07
UKC Forum Member

well we dont do it much any more that wat 2 years ago my female has a tattoo and a microchip in her i just like it cause its on the papers and if ur dog get stolen and u see one that looks exactlu like urs at a hunt and u carrie ur papers around than u can tell the houndsman and tell him that ur dog got stollen and it has a tattoo and show him wat the tattoo says on the papers and then go and look at that goes ear or were ever it is and if it is the same tattoo u take the dod back but i no its 21st centry but i like to do that

Old Post 11-11-2009 03:09 PM
glynnsdawgs63
UKC Forum Member

I tattoo every pup born here at 7-8 weeks old in the right ear and use green ink.Microchips are good but I tattoo reg. number in ear and when someone takes one of mine,the sherrif can check tattoo no. against no. on easy entry card right there instead of trying to find a scanner to ID dog and taking up a bunch of time trying to prove ownership.

Glynn

Old Post 11-11-2009 03:14 PM
glynnsdawgs63 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for glynnsdawgs63 Click here to Send glynnsdawgs63 a Private Message Visit glynnsdawgs63's homepage! Find more posts by glynnsdawgs63 Add glynnsdawgs63 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blues07
UKC Forum Member

yea cause the only way u can scan for it is at a vet or the humane soceity and the guy that stole ur dog aint going to be willing to take it to the humane soccety u no i need to get me one for my pups but i dont have agun right now

Old Post 11-11-2009 03:19 PM
SugarRunKennel
UKC Forum Member

Microchips

The microchips run about $100, and in PA come with a Life time Dog Liscense. However not every microchip works on the same scanner. This was told to me by my vet. That is why the microchip comes with a tag to fix to the collar so if the dog is lost the person who finds it will know the company of the microchip (ie. Home again pets) and they can call the company to say they found a dog w/that chip ini t and give them the number.
If someone takes a dog w/a chip in it then it can be a pain finding a vet w/the right scanner.
I had a 3 year old black and tan w/a chip in her and she died at 3 so it wasnt worth my 100 dollars, but thats a choice people can make on their own.
In PA a dog liscense costs around 7 bucks a year if the dog is not fixed.

Old Post 11-11-2009 04:36 PM
SugarRunKennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SugarRunKennel Click here to Send SugarRunKennel a Private Message Find more posts by SugarRunKennel Add SugarRunKennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blues07
UKC Forum Member

wow that is crazy u no how much it is in indiana its 15 dollars at the humane society i walked in there looking for a freiands dogs and asked how much the chip expecting like 50 to 100 dollars and all it casy was 15 and wow u have to pay 7 dollars for haveing a dog that aint fixed that is crazzy

Old Post 11-11-2009 05:25 PM
SugarRunKennel
UKC Forum Member

chip cost

My wife reminded me that we got a rebate but either one of us can remember what it was for. Either 50 or 75 off. I think it was 50.
But still even 50 is expensive if you dont have it.
Looking back I was pretty new to coon hunting and was the only one w/a black and tan in the area and was all worried she would come up missing and wanted every way possible to find her again.
I now have two more dogs and I wont ever spend that much again for the microchip.

Old Post 11-12-2009 11:17 PM
SugarRunKennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SugarRunKennel Click here to Send SugarRunKennel a Private Message Find more posts by SugarRunKennel Add SugarRunKennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blues07
UKC Forum Member

wow i hope the humane society didnt scam me lol cuase all it cost was 15 dollars but ill check at the vet next time and make sure all the stuff on there is corect or i wonder if i can get on the web site and look it up that way

Old Post 11-12-2009 11:45 PM
Dale Young
UKC Forum Member

Microchips
The microchips run about $100, and in PA come with a Life time Dog License.

I'm sure the bulk of this $100 is for the lifetime dog license. My oldest dog here is going on 9 and at $15 / year that comes out to $135 total just for the licenses not counting the mandatory rabies shots that must be given by a licensed vet in order to get the license. Maybe not a bad deal if the dog is a keeper.
I'm not a big fan of chips , maybe cause I've never really needed one. Now if that chip could locate a lost or stolen dog via satellite any where in the world by me calling a service and paying a locating fee when I REALLY need it I might be interested .

Old Post 11-13-2009 03:18 PM
Dale Young is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dale Young Click here to Send Dale Young a Private Message Click Here to Email Dale Young Find more posts by Dale Young Add Dale Young to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote