UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Score This
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

Score This

Strike goes Dogs A,B,C Tree goes Dog A,B Dog C split. Score tree A,B have coon Dog C is circled. Cast move location a Dog opens handlers of Dog A,C both call dog. Judge and handle of Dog B says one has take 100 minus. But he not sure with dog open dogs sound very similar. He finally decides to minus dog A even tho wasn't sure. After hunt plays out judge admitted he might made wrong call but since it had already been scored he couldn't change.

What's everyone thoughts on these?

Also I just want say so not to discourage anyone thinking about trying the competition hunts. I don't think this was cheating or anything like that. And for every cast in hunt that something like this that happens a person has 10 good cast that will go smooth. Anytime you have have competition of any kind some times you catch break and sometime you are on other end of stick.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-17-2018 07:19 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tom anderson
UKC Forum Member

The judge made a call if he made wrong call guy should put a question on right then but if there was no question on it right then you can’t change it but if they did once judge found out he made wrong call it could be brought back to master of hounds or hunt director and heard and judge can say at that time he made wrong call it would be voted on and most likely over turn

Old Post 02-17-2018 07:41 PM
Tom anderson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tom anderson Click here to Send Tom anderson a Private Message Find more posts by Tom anderson Add Tom anderson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

What if a judge is un able to be certain on call like that?

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 02-17-2018 07:55 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Put a ? on it.....u got nothing to lose .....

Old Post 02-17-2018 09:31 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stonewall24
UKC Forum Member

Judge

He can take his time and make sure that was the dog that should be minus. Let the dog open a couple more times tell the handlers to make sure which dog is what. Then minus it if it is a three dog cast it shouldn't be much of an issue. Most mistakes that judges make are made because they are pressured to or don't know they have time to make a call it doesn't have to be made right then that sec on one bark.

Old Post 02-17-2018 09:33 PM
Stonewall24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stonewall24 Click here to Send Stonewall24 a Private Message Find more posts by Stonewall24 Add Stonewall24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

As a judge, I would never minus a dog on a call I'm not sure about. I'd rather put them on the paper as called, 100, 75. If they sound that much alike and the judge isnt sure who barked, who's to say they didn't both bark? Just put'em on the card as called and move on.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 02-17-2018 09:38 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

Wouldn't it be nice if UKC could have come up with a simple , clear cut set of rules that don't make good, honest hunters feel like cheaters.

Old Post 02-17-2018 09:44 PM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jammer2122
Banned

It's the handlers responsibility to know his dog. If it is left up to the judge and he is not sure he could make them split. Was a vote taken?

Old Post 02-17-2018 11:27 PM
Jammer2122 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jammer2122 Click here to Send Jammer2122 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jammer2122 Find more posts by Jammer2122 Add Jammer2122 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blue blue
UKC Forum Member

Don’t

See how two dogs can get on the card if only one dog barked.

Old Post 02-18-2018 01:37 AM
blue blue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blue blue Click here to Send blue blue a Private Message Click Here to Email blue blue Find more posts by blue blue Add blue blue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Phenix
What if a judge is un able to be certain on call like that?

If he cant make an honest judgement call then leave them as they were called by the handlers.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 02-18-2018 02:20 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

3 dog cast 2 guys called same dog judge was deciding vote so not much a guy can do. Needless to say the guy that got minus raised dog owned both parents likes 2 wins of have dog grand so I'm sure he knew his dog. Just bad break I guess but I'm with Jim if you can't be sure how can judge make honest call. Sounded like just a guess to me.

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 02-18-2018 02:53 AM
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

There is no cut and dry answer to this. Judgement call and left up to handlers to question if they want.

Bad break.

Old Post 02-18-2018 06:32 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

I like Jim's answer.

I was once on a cast where three of the four dogs were almost identical in voice on a cold track. We did the best we could and laughed about it.

Old Post 02-19-2018 05:34 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Charles Pullen
UKC Forum Member

Are you sure you wouldn't record their strikes in order they were recieved and put a (?) besides their strikes , and inform the cast on your question mark . Then minus the wrong dog/handler for the wrong called ? I've haven't kept up with the rules so I'm kinda rusty . Lol

Old Post 02-19-2018 09:41 PM
Charles Pullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charles Pullen Click here to Send Charles Pullen a Private Message Click Here to Email Charles Pullen Find more posts by Charles Pullen Add Charles Pullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

Re: Don’t

quote:
Originally posted by blue blue
See how two dogs can get on the card if only one dog barked.

LOL,been happening for YEARS!!
'Top' Handlers Pitch'em in to get on the card.

That's why most of today's Grnitech's are a joke.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 02-19-2018 10:07 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blue blue
UKC Forum Member

Oh

Yeah 4 play I’ve seen one dog bark and three people strike but never seen them all get on the card.

Old Post 02-19-2018 10:29 PM
blue blue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blue blue Click here to Send blue blue a Private Message Click Here to Email blue blue Find more posts by blue blue Add blue blue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buck brush
UKC Forum Member

split the strike points and go on and have a good hunt.

gone but will never be forgotten

PR Van Dusen's Hanna o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Maggie o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Mickey o/h
PR Buck Brush Copper o/h
D NTCH PR Crooked Oak Boss o/h
D NtCH PR Alford's Alibi h
NTCH PR Alford's Hatchet h
NT CH PR Mill's Dotty h

Old Post 02-20-2018 03:27 PM
buck brush is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buck brush Click here to Send buck brush a Private Message Click Here to Email buck brush Find more posts by buck brush Add buck brush to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Really

I hear some of us blaming UKC for not having a rule to fix a situation like this but I did not read a suggestion for how you think it should be fixed or judged. It is not UKC's responsibility to know the voice of your hound. Its the handlers! I have been on cast with hounds that sound alike. Its is hard and when it happens a lot of guess work goes in calling hounds that night. And if the handlers don't know how in the world can the judge know...The points get split and by the end of the night if the judge figures out somebody is calling someone else's hound then he can take action...if he put a question mark down...

Old Post 02-23-2018 03:29 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

Re: Oh

quote:
Originally posted by blue blue
Yeah 4 play I’ve seen one dog bark and three people strike but never seen them all get on the card.

Pitching silent dogs!!
Amish guy I hunted with Pitched his all night.I called it a cpl. times.Nothing happened,since he was guide and judges friend.
Finally minused out and then admitted his dog was silent.

Last edited by 4play on 02-23-2018 at 05:32 PM

Old Post 02-23-2018 03:43 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog2345
UKC Forum Member

Easy fix I drew a judge that is a rep for the English breed on first drop we called our dogs then judge asked again to point out each owner dog so he would know from start which was which he was one of the fairest best judges I have seen did a great job

Old Post 02-23-2018 04:59 PM
treedog2345 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog2345 Click here to Send treedog2345 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog2345 Add treedog2345 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by treedog2345
Easy fix I drew a judge that is a rep for the English breed on first drop we called our dogs then judge asked again to point out each owner dog so he would know from start which was which he was one of the fairest best judges I have seen did a great job

]

Hard to prove anything when 2 hounds open 500+ yards away.Everybody pitching

Old Post 02-23-2018 05:32 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Judges are just people. Some are better than others, but none are perfect. And some people expect way too much from them. If 2 people strike the same dog at the beginning of a hunt then how in the world is a judge supposed to tell whose dog it is? And if the handler who owns and is familiar with a dog can't tell them apart, then how in the world can a judge who has never heard him be expected to tell them apart. Y'all are sure putting a lot of pressure on a fellow hunter who just came to hunt the same as you did and got talked into judging. And who says that a judge or anyone else in a cast can't change his mind. Is that in the rules? I change my mind all of the time. If there is a rule against changing your mind then I guess that I am cheating.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 02-23-2018 at 05:51 PM

Old Post 02-23-2018 05:44 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

Once it's scored and not questioned right then the judge can't change his mind. And the problem with this cast is even if 2 guys call same dog 1 is right and 1 one is wrong then goes to vote. So a guy can know his dog and still get out voted. Especially when it's early in hunt and judge is forced to make a judgement call with very little info to go on. It's just one them deals that's a bad break and your goin to have them every once in while with anything involving human judgement. Thing is to take the breaks lucky and unlucky like a man and not throw fit or think someone is cheating every time a call don't go your way.

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 02-23-2018 06:29 PM
Charles Pullen
UKC Forum Member

2 strikes calls on the same hound

I saw where a few says just let it go if you cannnot tell them apart . I think that's not the correct answer. To me to be fair the judge would note a (?) on the card immediately that one of the dogs will receive a minus on that strike once it's determined. He should let the cast know of his call he just made on the card .

Old Post 02-23-2018 06:50 PM
Charles Pullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charles Pullen Click here to Send Charles Pullen a Private Message Click Here to Email Charles Pullen Find more posts by Charles Pullen Add Charles Pullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Phenix
Once it's scored and not questioned right then the judge can't change his mind.......

Which rule or where in the Advisor does it state that a judge or cast member can't change their mind?

Old Post 02-23-2018 07:07 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote