UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Treeing Walkers > Who was behind the Finley River hounds
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bad Egg
UKC Forum Member

Who was behind the Finley River hounds

Does anyone know how the Finley River was put into the finley river dogs . Old Finley River Chief and Spot was bought as finished dogs . Who breed and started that line ?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-26-2013 02:44 PM
Bad Egg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bad Egg Click here to Send Bad Egg a Private Message Click Here to Email Bad Egg Find more posts by Bad Egg Add Bad Egg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bad Egg
UKC Forum Member

Finley River dogs ?

No one knows about the originator of the legend FINLEY RIVER HOUNDS ?

Old Post 09-30-2013 02:45 AM
Bad Egg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bad Egg Click here to Send Bad Egg a Private Message Click Here to Email Bad Egg Find more posts by Bad Egg Add Bad Egg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KY RINGTAIL
UKC Forum Member

Lonnie mears and john j Monroe was the first that I know off I think john got his from Lonnie that was in sixtys I think

Old Post 09-30-2013 04:55 AM
KY RINGTAIL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KY RINGTAIL Click here to Send KY RINGTAIL a Private Message Click Here to Email KY RINGTAIL Find more posts by KY RINGTAIL Add KY RINGTAIL to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bad Egg
UKC Forum Member

Finley River

Thanks i know who John and Lee Monroe are . But i think John never put the name to them . He had many Finley River hounds they are know for great ability to track on frozen ground . Also known to be honest tree dogs . Thanks for your input .

Old Post 09-30-2013 07:27 AM
barrelmaker
UKC Forum Member

Finley River

The Finley River dogs originated with Herb Carsten of springfield, Missouri. He bought Finley River Chief as a pup in Iowa, raised him and trained him, He also had Finley River Buck, Finley River Queen and several other top hounds.

Herb passed away a few years ago, I talked to his son Jerry a couple of years back, he was then living near Branson. John Monroe put the Finley River dogs on the map when he won the world hunt with Finley River Spot, that was as good a honest coondog as ever drew a breath. I bought finley River Pete from John in the early 70's who was directly out of Chief, Pete was one of the main dogs responsible for the Lone Pine dogs you see today who have a lot of the attributes of the old Finley River line.

Tom

Old Post 10-03-2013 04:48 AM
barrelmaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for barrelmaker Click here to Send barrelmaker a Private Message Click Here to Email barrelmaker Find more posts by barrelmaker Add barrelmaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bad Egg
UKC Forum Member

barrel maker

Thank you . I have had several nice Finley River dogs over the years . Just the best track dogs and honest tree dogs . This is what made them such great hounds . They also had very good voices . I did run into Lee Monroe and he confirmed what you stated about Carsten and the FINLEY RIVER name . Lee said John first bought Finley River Spot and later bought Finley River Cheif . Later took the world hunt title . Thanks for you knowlege of these fine hounds . I have visited the finley river web site too .

Old Post 10-19-2013 03:11 PM
WABASHCOONER
UKC Forum Member

howdy

john monroe check out finly river heitage on face book

Old Post 10-19-2013 05:56 PM
WABASHCOONER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WABASHCOONER Click here to Send WABASHCOONER a Private Message Click Here to Email WABASHCOONER Find more posts by WABASHCOONER Add WABASHCOONER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote