UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Rattlesnakes
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Rattlesnakes

How many coon hunters encountered a rattlesnake while summer hunting this year. Thought I would post and see now that summer has ended and Fall has begun. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-11-2023 08:00 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I have summer hunted for over 60 years and I've never encountered a rattle snake a night. I've seen a few copperheads and about 400 million cotton mouths.

Old Post 10-11-2023 11:50 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

Rattlesnakes

I’ve just encountered one so far this year hunting. I’ve encountered a bunch in my 68 years. They are just a way of life in south central Oklahoma. Never had a dog bit by a rattlesnake but get about one a year bitten by Cottonmouths.

Old Post 10-12-2023 07:04 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Snakes

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I have summer hunted for over 60 years and I've never encountered a rattle snake a night. I've seen a few copperheads and about 400 million cotton mouths.

Donald, that's a lot of cottenmouths, those things are just about as a rattlesnake in venom potency much more toxic than a copperhead, not as bad as rattlesnakes. I do NOT want to see any venomous snake period, but prefer to see one before I get to close. Lol. Stay safe my friend. Dave

Old Post 10-12-2023 10:52 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Rattlesnakes

quote:
Originally posted by 2nd Mac
I’ve just encountered one so far this year hunting. I’ve encountered a bunch in my 68 years. They are just a way of life in south central Oklahoma. Never had a dog bit by a rattlesnake but get about one a year bitten by Cottonmouths.

You are a lucky man, to not have any dogs get rattlesnake bit, seeing as you have a lot of rattlesnakes in your hunting grounds. I live in an area where we have rattlesnakes in certain places, but not everywhere. I do NOT hunt in rattlesnake country until the den up. Our only other venomous snake is the copperhead and they are every where. Fortunately, I have never been bitten by one, but over the years have had several dogs bit by copperhead snakes. I no longer hunt in the summer months and NO longer have any problems. Stay safe my friend. Dave

Old Post 10-12-2023 11:02 PM
Cthornberry
UKC Forum Member

Last year maybe year before last my huntin buddy came up out of a swamp into waste high grass and they heard one fire up and start rattlin they froze and didn’t move then the dog he had on the leash got bit and they made a mad dash out of there I see cotton mouths almost every hunt in the summer seen several copperheads never seen a rattler while coon huntin and that’s fine with me

Old Post 10-14-2023 12:52 AM
Cthornberry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cthornberry Click here to Send Cthornberry a Private Message Find more posts by Cthornberry Add Cthornberry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Richardson
UKC Forum Member

In my back yard a couple of weeks ago.

NITECH CH 'PR' MILL CREEK BO-R.I.P.
NITECH CH 'PR' HOUSE'S SCREAMIN NELL

Last edited by David Richardson on 10-16-2023 at 11:54 PM

Old Post 10-16-2023 11:52 PM
David Richardson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Richardson Click here to Send David Richardson a Private Message Find more posts by David Richardson Add David Richardson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: In my back yard a couple of weeks ago.

quote:
Originally posted by David Richardson

David, that's a timber rattlesnake and my understanding is they are rare in Texas and protected. They are the only kind of rattlesnakes found in East Tennessee. I don't like any kind of rattlesnake period. Dave

Old Post 10-17-2023 07:28 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

We know a guy in Texas who makes enough catching rattlesnakes while hunting to pay for his gas. Said the meat goes to the Philippines, the glands to a pharmaceutical company and the skins to a US company. He's been bitten multiple times. He carries a bottle of Dex and benadryl with him. Crazy hobby for extra cash!!!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 10-18-2023 03:59 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
We know a guy in Texas who makes enough catching rattlesnakes while hunting to pay for his gas. Said the meat goes to the Philippines, the glands to a pharmaceutical company and the skins to a US company. He's been bitten multiple times. He carries a bottle of Dex and benadryl with him. Crazy hobby for extra cash!!!
Gas ain't got that hight yet.

Old Post 10-18-2023 06:33 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Snakes

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Gas ain't got that hight yet.

Lol. Donald, you got that right. I would rather be walking or riding a horse before I would catch rattlesnakes to buy gas. Seriously, there are lots of folks in Texas and Oklahoma who catch rattlesnakes to sell, just look at the big rattlesnake roundups they have in Texas and Oklahoma every year. For some it's just a hobby that pays. Dave

Old Post 10-18-2023 11:05 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: In my back yard a couple of weeks ago.

quote:

David, when I really looked at the picture closer, I believe this snake to be a gravid female by the size of her stomach and the way the sharp drop to the tail. A male snake just gradually taper back to the tail itself. Dave

Old Post 10-20-2023 09:28 AM
David Richardson
UKC Forum Member

Seen this small one crossing the road below my house.

Old Post 10-21-2023 04:44 PM
David Richardson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Richardson Click here to Send David Richardson a Private Message Find more posts by David Richardson Add David Richardson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Seen this small one crossing the road below my house.

quote:

I can not tell how big this one was from the picture, but if it was less than 16 inches it was most likely born this year. As I stated in earlier post the big one definitely looked like a female and looked like she was carrying young inside of her. You must have several in your area as timber rattlesnakes are somewhat rare in Texas. Rare enough to be protected. Dave

Old Post 10-22-2023 01:23 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

https://farmandlandaccessories.com/...7UaApKAEALw_wcB

I’ve got the snake boots but I just couldn’t make myself hunt in the rattlesnake infested salt grass along the coast…the size of those rattlesnakes could definitely strike above the boots but I’m thinking about buying these snake proof chaps and wearing them over my snake proof boots…

Old Post 10-30-2023 01:20 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
https://farmandlandaccessories.com/...7UaApKAEALw_wcB

I’ve got the snake boots but I just couldn’t make myself hunt in the rattlesnake infested salt grass along the coast…the size of those rattlesnakes could definitely strike above the boots but I’m thinking about buying these snake proof chaps and wearing them over my snake proof boots…

Reuben, that would be a great idea, but I think staying at home would be a better plan. Yes, I am a wimp when it comes to rattlesnakes, but I fear more for my dogs than myself. A dog is way more likely to get bit than a human who is watching out for them and I value my dogs. Dave

Old Post 11-03-2023 09:52 AM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Hey Dave

Now that the rattlers are denned up you better keep your eyes open for the snow snakes. As you probably know hand warmers are more effective than anti venom meds. I hear they are more common up in the high grounds but are found occasionally down here in the foothills. Just stay prepared and keep'em in the woods.

Old Post 11-28-2023 03:28 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

What's a snow snake lol. Man I hate snakes.

Old Post 11-28-2023 10:43 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
What's a snow snake lol. Man I hate snakes.
You would hate a snow snake even more. LOL

Old Post 11-28-2023 11:41 PM
David Richardson
UKC Forum Member

Already

Old Post 05-22-2024 02:26 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Rattlesnake

David Richardson, timber rattlesnakes are supposed to be rare in Texas, but every snake you post has been a timber rattlesnake. You must live in a area that has several timber rattlesnakes, consider yourself fortunate. I think they are the best looking rattlesnake, even though their venom is more toxic than most rattlesnakes, second only to the Mojave rattlesnake as both have neurotoxins in their venom. Dave

Old Post 05-23-2024 02:06 AM