UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > I got a question about the crossbred dogs.
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JiM

I got a question about the crossbred dogs.

Single reg, crossbred, whatever you prefer to call them, some of them have made a name for themselves as winners, especially in PKC. Has any of them, male or female, ever proven itself as a reproducer?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-13-2010 04:33 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
elvis
UKC Forum Member

Re: I got a question about the crossbred dogs.

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
Single reg, crossbred, whatever you prefer to call them, some of them have made a name for themselves as winners, especially in PKC. Has any of them, male or female, ever proven itself as a reproducer?

there were some out of hardtime speck that reproduced well.
im sure there are others but that one is pretty obvious.

Old Post 01-13-2010 04:40 AM
elvis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for elvis Click here to Send elvis a Private Message Find more posts by elvis Add elvis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
anscox
UKC Forum Member

Well, I didn't know of many crossbred hounds records until we recently had an "oops" litter between a walker and an english. Turns out, there are MANY notable crossbred hounds that have been singled registered and gone on to produce some pretty nice offspring. They are even some in the Performance Program.

Most of the ones I have seen of coarse have been between the english x walker breeds (as that is what we currently have, that's what I looked at) and it apparhently happens more then I thought, and on purpose too!

I did find one really interesting one out lately in the redbone breed, though it is for some reason not mentionable... why not? Call an ace an ace and a spade a spade I say!

Also, I believe if you do a search on the UKC posts you'll find that the dog on the cover of the either December 2007 or January 2008 Bloodlines was a single registered english male performance sire.

It happens between all the breeds. And, just like a purebred litter, some turn out great, others not so great...

CH 'PR' Cox's Absolute Envy
CH 'PR' White Liar's Just A Digit
Hillbilly Bones

Gone but Not Forgotten:
CH 'PR' Cox's Sweet Mountain Magic 2005-2010

Old Post 01-13-2010 05:17 AM
anscox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for anscox Click here to Send anscox a Private Message Click Here to Email anscox Visit anscox's homepage! Find more posts by anscox Add anscox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Crossbreds

The English breed really is a crossbreed breed. (But really, so are the others).

Aside from the Speck dogs (already mentioned), here are a few others in the English breed :

Beshears Blue Boy II (Junior) : A crossbred hound.
Darons Blue Reb (Lumis) : A crossbred hound.
Boyds Little Joe : A grade dog that was single registered.

Pretty much all of the English breed is bred on these dogs. In a lot of cases, you'll see linebreeding on these dogs.

When you linebreed on a crossbreed, what do you get? A crossbred hound? If you linebreed them for several generations, do you get closer to having a purebred crossbred?

Is a bawlmouth dog x a chopmouth dog a crossbred? If you can't answer that question without seeing the papers, you're not talking about breeding dogs. You're just trying to match paperwork up.

Which is more crossbred?

(1) Two dogs of the same breed (paper wise) that are totally different in style and traits?

or

(2) Two dogs of different breeds (paper wise) that are very similar in style and traits?

What determines crossbreeding? Genes or papers?

Old Post 01-13-2010 05:28 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brogy

I bet someone will make a post about "Hybrid Vigor". Just a hunch.

I don't see any reason why linebreeding on a crossbred dog or litter wouldn't reproduce as well linebreeding within a purebred line.

but if your question is (for example) has a dog like Tenn Hardrock or will Get Ahead Lil Red reproduce dogs of similar caliber as themselves? I can't think of any examples that they have. But taking one of them and linebreeding them onto something similar to one side of they're pedigree, I can't see why it wouldn't work. Not much different that taking a dog from a total outcross and linebreeding it back to something similar to its one side.

Other than some of the English studs mentioned, I can't think of any other than Halfbreed Jessi.

I think Halfbreed Jessi was an above average reproducer. 3/4 Ton and the Trouble dog come to mind. I don't know for fact, but I heard Jessi was bred back to her sire or 1/2 brother and that cross didn't work as well the Walker studs she was bred to. Just what I had heard, so that kind of shoots my theory down.

Last edited by on 01-13-2010 at 05:44 AM

Old Post 01-13-2010 05:40 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nccoonhunter197
UKC Forum Member

People would be really suprised to find out how many of their pure breed hounds really weren't pure breed. Years ago before DNA and high priced puppies, people breed for natural instinct and hunting abilities. If all the cards were on the table so to speak, alot of our foundation hounds of yesterday were not PURE BREED. Save the trouble of fixing paper work on pups and single registering dogs and start a crossbred registry. Or allow grade dogs to be hunted until they earn a hunt title and then they can be single registered. Either way is simple and wouldn't be hard to do. Shoot, if UKC wants to give me a job, I'll take it on. Would love to see more pure coondogs instead of just pure bred dogs. It is not papers that make a dog a coondog anyway. It is the abilities of the dog that makes it a coondog.........................

Brian Teague 252-649-3050

Old Post 01-13-2010 06:57 AM
nccoonhunter197 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nccoonhunter197 Click here to Send nccoonhunter197 a Private Message Click Here to Email nccoonhunter197 Find more posts by nccoonhunter197 Add nccoonhunter197 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Dillard
UKC Forum Member

WLDNITECH HILLBILLY MACK

If Im not mistaken Hillbilly Mack was a UKC single reg Walker Hound, that was off a walker stud and a black & tan gyp. He was just a single reg. walker dog with no titles when he won the UKC World Championship. I heard he threw some pretty nice hounds.

Old Post 01-13-2010 09:02 AM
Chris Dillard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Dillard Click here to Send Chris Dillard a Private Message Click Here to Email Chris Dillard Find more posts by Chris Dillard Add Chris Dillard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Randy Tallon
UKC Forum Member

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.....I believe that Hardtime Speck was a Walker that was single registered English. We were on our way home from the Grand American back in the early to mid Eighties. I was with a couple of well known Walker men at the time and we stopped at a place in North Carolina to watch a certain Walker go. I'm almost positive that one of these well known Walker men said, "that's a littermate to Hardtime Speck."

USAF proud!!! 6 Years active 19 Reserves MSgt (ret) Raven 457
Carpe Nocturnum-Seize the night!

Old Post 01-13-2010 11:42 AM
Randy Tallon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Tallon Click here to Send Randy Tallon a Private Message Click Here to Email Randy Tallon Find more posts by Randy Tallon Add Randy Tallon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wingpatch
UKC Forum Member

WELL

IF I'AM NOT MISTAKEN AGAIN I BELIEVE ALL OF THEM CAME FROM ENGLISH FOX HOUNDS... HAVE YOU EVER SAW A PICTURE OF A OLD TIME ENGLISH FOX HOUND PACK...BLACK & TANS,HI TANS ,REDS , BLUES , OPEN TICKED , TRI COLORED AND EVEN AFEW LEOPARDS.... LOTS OF THESE PACKS WERE REGISTERED AS WALKERS.. THEN CAME ALONG REGISTERED " WALKERS TREEING.". ANYONE REMEMBER THAT...????????

CROOKED RIVER DUDE... 5/14/04--2/20/12.....[ PLOTT ]

GASCONADE RIVER GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLIE [ TOAD & MOLLY ANN ] ENGLISH

HONEST OPEN MOUTH, STAY PUT TREEDOGS.. THAT CATCH GAME.....

573-765-5461

****I USE AND RECOMMEND LEMS LIGHTS***

Last edited by Wingpatch on 01-13-2010 at 12:29 PM

Old Post 01-13-2010 12:15 PM
Wingpatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wingpatch Click here to Send Wingpatch a Private Message Click Here to Email Wingpatch Find more posts by Wingpatch Add Wingpatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Dillard
UKC Forum Member

HARDTIME SPECK

Thats correct HARDTIME SPECK was a Walker Hound transferred to the English breed when UKC would let folks do that. Speck's English offspring had half Walker blood and half English blood flowing threw their veins. Up until the 1940's Treeing Walkers ,American Blueticks and English were all recognized as one breed.

Last edited by Chris Dillard on 01-13-2010 at 12:25 PM

Old Post 01-13-2010 12:15 PM
Chris Dillard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Dillard Click here to Send Chris Dillard a Private Message Click Here to Email Chris Dillard Find more posts by Chris Dillard Add Chris Dillard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smokin-1-mo
UKC Forum Member

Re: I got a question about the crossbred dogs.

quote:
Originally posted by JiM

I THINK THE HOOCH DOG IN OK.HAS PUT OUT SOME NICE DOGS.....

Old Post 01-13-2010 01:44 PM
smokin-1-mo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for smokin-1-mo Click here to Send smokin-1-mo a Private Message Click Here to Email smokin-1-mo Find more posts by smokin-1-mo Add smokin-1-mo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majestic Tree H
UKC Forum Member

Vanzant's Sam "Hybrid" World Champ.

It seams by looking thru the English Ped's their are Spikes at each Total/Mostly OutCross that runs aprox 3-4 Generations thru the Protegee ..

Plus Their were other Spikes in Abilties when the Protegees of Vanzant's Sam were Crossed on Speck's . Thus another "Cross Breeding" or Hybrid Vigor Scenario ..

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds

Old Post 01-13-2010 01:59 PM
Majestic Tree H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majestic Tree H Click here to Send Majestic Tree H a Private Message Click Here to Email Majestic Tree H Visit Majestic Tree H's homepage! Find more posts by Majestic Tree H Add Majestic Tree H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T.Beyer
UKC Forum Member

Beechy Creek Zipcode was a single registered dog wasn't he?

Yup,
http://www.neuseriverenglishkennels...s/zipcodead.pdf

In Honor of Jim Sizemore, " This ain't no benchshow!"

Old Post 01-13-2010 02:06 PM
T.Beyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T.Beyer Click here to Send T.Beyer a Private Message Click Here to Email T.Beyer Find more posts by T.Beyer Add T.Beyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

Re: WELL

quote:
Originally posted by Wingpatch
IF I'AM NOT MISTAKEN AGAIN I BELIEVE ALL OF THEM CAME FROM ENGLISH FOX HOUNDS... HAVE YOU EVER SAW A PICTURE OF A OLD TIME ENGLISH FOX HOUND PACK...BLACK & TANS,HI TANS ,REDS , BLUES , OPEN TICKED , TRI COLORED AND EVEN AFEW LEOPARDS.... LOTS OF THESE PACKS WERE REGISTERED AS WALKERS.. THEN CAME ALONG REGISTERED " WALKERS TREEING.". ANYONE REMEMBER THAT...????????
I don't know anything about English Foxhounds, but I remember when I was young everyone hunted grade dogs, and the guys in my area made fun of registered dogs. A litter of pups might have two walkers, two black and tans, two blueticks, and two redbones in it. The first NTCH dog I knew about came from such a litter, I paid $1.00 for him at eight weeks. We called him "Jayhawker", my brother and I hunted him 'til he was two and sold him to a guy that sold a lot of "high priced" dogs back east. That guy we sold him to, showed us a Full Cry ad on the dog, being offered at stud a couple years later; I believe in Indiana. He was a really good looking dog and could sure tree a coon. My theory on these hounds is; they're all the same thing, just different colors. Tom

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 01-13-2010 02:07 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John D
UKC Forum Member

I think a better question might be, "Do crossbreds, on average, produce better than purebreds, on average?" I think the answer to that is "no".

There are always exceptions and a crossbred here or there that does reproduce doesn't change the the average of what crossbreds usually produce.

One reason for that, imo, is that they are often the result of accidental or poorly thought out crosses. While their genes clicked to make a coondog, they are such a variety and disarray that they can't line up in their pups to do the same thing again. Thats about as deep as I better get into genetics....

Click here to visit The B&T Coonhunters Message Forum for news, views, open discussion, ads, and event winners in the B&T Breed (Registration, with your full name, required)

Click here to see my Dog List

Old Post 01-13-2010 02:22 PM
John D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John D Click here to Send John D a Private Message Click Here to Email John D Visit John D's homepage! Find more posts by John D Add John D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

I think the idea of crossbreeds in American breed coonhounds is basically nonexistant.

The whole reason for selecting for color is so simple it is silly. Early breeders selected for color because it is the easiest trait to fix.

All the breeds have similiar if not identical beginnings from the same gene pool. All breeds have many of very similiar strains within each breed for such traits as size and build. I believe ( and I may be wrong) but once we start to really understand the dog genome that our breeds with maybe the exception of the plott hound are going to be so similiar that statistically they will be nearly identical.

The meaning of crossbred is actually different than the way coon hound fanciers use it. A true crossbreed would be like a beagle and a lab. Where each breed has many different traits. This is the type of crossbreed that yield hybrid vigor.

To answer your question Jim, yes there have been many through the years. It only makes since that the English breed is our best example because they have the widest color allowances within the breed.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 01-13-2010 03:57 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

As has been said over and over and over on here, the female contributes a ton to a good cross. I would have a hard time believeing that a cross bred hound or whatever would have many owners of top bred and performing females coming to his house no matter how good he is.

Maybe I am wrong.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 01-13-2010 05:16 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

TIMBER CHOPPER HAD FEMALES FROM ALL BREEDS COMMING TO HIM. THE FEMALE= 70 to 80% of offspring.

Old Post 01-13-2010 06:30 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan Dogs
UKC Forum Member

Re: WLDNITECH HILLBILLY MACK

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Dillard
If Im not mistaken Hillbilly Mack was a UKC single reg Walker Hound, that was off a walker stud and a black & tan gyp. He was just a single reg. walker dog with no titles when he won the UKC World Championship. I heard he threw some pretty nice hounds.
your wrong, mac's sire, wagners mr. quick was single registered..

- Gr. CH Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan II
- CH. Gr. Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan III 2008 Performance Sire
- CH. Gr.Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan IV 2004 ukc world hunt finalist
- Ch. Gr.Nite Ch. Mounds Creek Sassy II
- Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Bucky HTX 3 wins towards grnite
- GrCh.GrNtCh Hickory Nut Bawlie HTX
-Nite ch. PR Iowa County CryBaby II 2013 Badger State Hunt Champion
qualified for 2013 UKC World Hunt
CH Nitech She Hate Me (scar) HTX Iowa County Kennels

Old Post 01-13-2010 07:50 PM
Dan Dogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan Dogs Click here to Send Dan Dogs a Private Message Click Here to Email Dan Dogs Find more posts by Dan Dogs Add Dan Dogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
anscox
UKC Forum Member

Well,

If you look at the pictures from 50-100 years ago, the hounds were MUCH different then they are today! And I don't think we have IMPROVED the breeds at all...

Hounds used to be pretty consistant in size and shape, much larger I think then todays hound and not nearly as dainty. There was no mistaking a hound when you looked at them then, they most resembled todays bloodhounds. VERY houndy. Though they were very consistant in size and characteristics their colors varied widely. It wasn't until the seperate "Breeds" began branching off that the breed characteristics began to change.

I think it's sad that todays hounds don't resemble their ancestors. Last time we took a redbone to the vet a woman told me how pretty my chocolate lab was! And she is a beautiful example of redbone. Not at all off breed type... but the general public considers a "hound dog" to be all ears and loose skin. Not todays standard of compact chest, lanky legs and tiny cat feet. JMO.

So, it does make me wonder what those original breed members were thinking seperating hounds into seperate breeds based pretty much on color at the time...

CH 'PR' Cox's Absolute Envy
CH 'PR' White Liar's Just A Digit
Hillbilly Bones

Gone but Not Forgotten:
CH 'PR' Cox's Sweet Mountain Magic 2005-2010

Old Post 01-13-2010 08:12 PM
anscox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for anscox Click here to Send anscox a Private Message Click Here to Email anscox Visit anscox's homepage! Find more posts by anscox Add anscox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndhunter01
UKC Forum Member

think it's sad that todays hounds don't resemble their ancestors. Last time we took a redbone to the vet a woman told me how pretty my chocolate lab was! And she is a beautiful example of redbone. Not at all off breed type... but the general public considers a "hound dog" to be all ears and loose skin. Not todays standard of compact chest, lanky legs and tiny cat feet. JMO.

not tryin to bash show people but if you look at the above traits isnt that wut it takes to win a show..i dont show but i do think that has somethin to do with it..who wants an old droopy lookin hound to win a show..not tryin to change the post

Old Post 01-13-2010 08:38 PM
houndhunter01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndhunter01 Click here to Send houndhunter01 a Private Message Click Here to Email houndhunter01 Find more posts by houndhunter01 Add houndhunter01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
josh
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by anscox
Well,

If you look at the pictures from 50-100 years ago, the hounds were MUCH different then they are today! And I don't think we have IMPROVED the breeds at all...

Very few of the old pictures will show a dog on a tree, those that are smart eoungh to chew gum and walk wont need to wonder why.

Old Post 01-13-2010 08:40 PM
josh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for josh Click here to Send josh a Private Message Click Here to Email josh Find more posts by josh Add josh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wayne f
UKC Forum Member

hybred vigor doesn't have to be crossing breeds it can be grossing strains within a breed. as far as crossbreeding some spectacular hounds have been produced, however a large part of these crossbreeds didn't produce pups that were as good as they were due to opening up the gene pool resulting in unpredictable outcome if you notice most not all top dogs are linebred in order to produce predictable outcome as the gene pool is made smaller it is easier to produce pup that are more predictable. hounds like speck boydslittle joe and other crossbreeds or unknown bred dogs worked better when they were used as line breeding wasn't used as much when they were breeding them by selecting the best of these crosses then breeding them tight there trates were set to produce more of the same.

Old Post 01-13-2010 08:48 PM
wayne f is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wayne f Click here to Send wayne f a Private Message Click Here to Email wayne f Find more posts by wayne f Add wayne f to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Barry Franklin
UKC Forum Member

Cross Breed

Question, How do you get something Pure from something that never was Pure!! Sooner or later they all are the results of Cross Breeding!!

Old Post 01-13-2010 08:49 PM
Barry Franklin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Barry Franklin Click here to Send Barry Franklin a Private Message Click Here to Email Barry Franklin Visit Barry Franklin's homepage! Find more posts by Barry Franklin Add Barry Franklin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Hill
UKC Forum Member

world ch quick dog i think is single reg.

Been following these walker dogs since 1983,and love every min of it !!!!

http://minnesotastatecoonhunters.webs.com/

Use SunSpot Lights, so bright its like the sun came out at night !!!

Old Post 01-13-2010 08:51 PM
Jim Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Hill Click here to Send Jim Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Jim Hill Add Jim Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote