UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What does an old whiskey bottle, a Prince Albert can, & binder twine have in common ?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
John Wittenborn
UKC Forum Member

What does an old whiskey bottle, a Prince Albert can, & binder twine have in common ?

That was part of your coon hunting gear. It's still drizzling a little outside, & here I set instead of hunting. Looking at some of the threads about which light, tracking system, breed of dog, etc. is the best, got me to reminiscing. We have come a long way from the one room country school to the present. We wore the clothes that we did the chores in, along with the five buckle over-shoes when we went hunting. I was raised on a dairy farm so we had plenty of milk to feed the dogs. All the dogs were grade dogs, never heard of a reg. coon hound. Dad usually kept about 15-25 fox hounds, 8-10 coon hounds, & 2 shepards.
When you got ready to go hunting you filled your whiskey bottle with clean water, filled the Prince Albert can with carbide, & made sure you had several pieces of screen wire to clean your light tip out with. Get your 2-3 cell flashlight to shine trees with, put a waded up hand full of binder twine in your hip pocket, just in case you ever had to lead a dog, get the 12 guage shotgun & plenty of shells, & step out on the back porch where all hell broke loose. Here is where you young guys would have a high speed melt down. there would usually be 5-6 dogs including the shepards running loose, then you would start turning dogs loose that were tied up to dog houses, & get the ones that were locked up in the barn, & you ready to head for the creek. HELL, I remember a lot of nights we would have a rabbit race, a possum treed, a coon treed, & fox race going on at the same time. There were dogs barking every direction. Hunt 3-5 hours, come home eat a snack & go to bed. Get up around 4:30- 5:00 & help with the chores, then get ready & walk one & a half miles to Plum Creek school. Got sent home alot because I smelled like skunk. Oh yes, if we drove off some place to hunt, we hauled our dogs in the trunk or back seat of the family car. Trucks usually had feed or something on them & were used for farm use only.
I tried to condense this as much as possible & still tell you a little bit what it was like back a FEW years. Yep, it sure has changed. My first competition hunt was a possum rule hunt in 1948. Hope to see you at one of the hunts.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-15-2004 04:40 AM
John Wittenborn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Wittenborn Click here to Send John Wittenborn a Private Message Click Here to Email John Wittenborn Find more posts by John Wittenborn Add John Wittenborn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ronald schultz
UKC Forum Member

when i was a kid

we got a pup from a beagle mix and ab&t that we started training on coon with our shepard mix cowdog(3 legged)and purebred springer (herby)and he was catching onwell .then one night fire trucks went out ,dad turned him loose to see where,he got smaccked on the road,could have made a good story.----------------oh ,the whiskey bottle .prince albert can are still up on the barn beAMM WITH THE TWINEalways thought that was history till i got to grade school!

Old Post 05-15-2004 04:57 AM
ronald schultz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ronald schultz Click here to Send ronald schultz a Private Message Find more posts by ronald schultz Add ronald schultz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
okreds
UKC Forum Member

You guys remember

them little cannisters that had a flint on the reflecter and you put your hand over the reflecter, trapping some gas and strike the flint. Man that thing would go pow and the light was on. Them coons looked at those lights better than they will at the bright lights now. You had to fill those little cannisters quite often. Then I got one of them big canisters that hung on my belt, it was state of the art, lasted a long time til you had to fill it up again. I remember my first wheat light, bought it at autumn Oaks at Green
Castle, Indiana. Now, I was one of the big boys. John, I remember the trunk and back seat of the family car. Tail light wires got chewed into and momma raised ole cain bout the back seat gettin tore up. In those days it was a man thing, don't think I ever seen a woman go huntin, they just worked in the kitchen. I think it's great that women today fully compete. They have proven to be tough competitors with the likes of my wife Rosemary, the late Teresa Keys and many many more. All outstanding ladies. ( I ain't no dummy ) In those days nobody heard of a leash, I led my dogs out of the woods many a nite with my belt or binder twine, balen wire and on occaision with barbed wire taken from an old fence. Like you said John, all the hunts were grade hunts. I will say that today there is a lot more good coondogs than there was then.

it ain't easy, being easy!

" Why is it that our children can't read the Bible in school, but they can in prison? "

Old Post 05-15-2004 06:42 AM
okreds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for okreds Click here to Send okreds a Private Message Click Here to Email okreds Visit okreds's homepage! Find more posts by okreds Add okreds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jawscardodger
UKC Forum Member

I'm remember when I was young I met a girl who's father and grandfather coon hunted.I didn't know anything about coon hunting.I asked them to take me out with them and they where more than happy too.I thought it was great to get to ride in the back of the staition wagon with the dogs.They were even nice enough to always let me carry the coon.

Old Post 05-15-2004 01:13 PM
jawscardodger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jawscardodger Click here to Send jawscardodger a Private Message Click Here to Email jawscardodger Find more posts by jawscardodger Add jawscardodger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rod L
UKC Forum Member

yea I remember

the carbide lamps and the long silver flashlight that had a rifle sling to carry it but in the early 70s I was too tight to buy a wheat light so I got a cheap 6 volt motercycle battery and wired it in an old womens sholder bag and it worked realy well plus I had room for every thing I needed to take a few years ago I ran across the old sholder bag still hanging in the shed still had a wiskey bottle half full of whisky a prince albert can with tobaco papers and matches in it a peice of leather strap to hang coons and possums for skinnig and leading dogs 22 short hp shells a pair of socks and bread sacks to keep my feet dry anybody else ever use the bread sacks

Old Post 05-15-2004 01:46 PM
Rod L is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rod L Click here to Send Rod L a Private Message Click Here to Email Rod L Find more posts by Rod L Add Rod L to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hillydale
UKC Forum Member

First Coon I ever skinned

I've skinned everything from a Goat to a Yote--But the frist coon i had ever skinned was a road-kill coon--back in early 70's
I was in 6th grade and was riding my bike home from school 13 miles, I found a big ol' dead coon on the road--got some barbwire
off the fence and wired it to my handlebars and headed for the house--sold it that season for 28 bucks

Old Post 05-15-2004 03:10 PM
Hillydale is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hillydale Click here to Send Hillydale a Private Message Find more posts by Hillydale Add Hillydale to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grubbs
UKC Forum Member

"Thanks for the memories". Those were the days(nights). Done it all even the bread sack thing. Feet would get so cold that bottoms would crack and bleed. When SUPER GLUE came on the market, I used it to glue the cracks together and then wrap feet in tape before puttiin on socks and bread sacks. It was simpler then not to have to keep up w/your equiptment. Usually if you lost your lead(rope) your buddy would cut his in half for you. Usually the entire party could walk from the light of one lantern.Now we go to woods w/GPS,compass,cell phone,tracker,Tri-tronics,belt lite and MAYBE a coon dog,if you're lucky.

Old Post 05-16-2004 03:23 PM
Grubbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grubbs Find more posts by Grubbs Add Grubbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeremy Long
UKC Forum Member

Holy cow, John you really are old. Thanks for the history lesson. It was great.

PS. I thought I smelled skunk at the last club meeting!

Old Post 05-17-2004 05:43 PM
Jeremy Long is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeremy Long Click here to Send Jeremy Long a Private Message Find more posts by Jeremy Long Add Jeremy Long to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Wittenborn
UKC Forum Member

I guess I'm going blind.

Jeremy, I didn't see you, Jesse, or Jason at the last club meeting, where were you guys. Probably getting those Redticks ready for the next hunt. Steve said you guys were going to guide out of Tilden. I'm going to guide out of Oraville. I'm not going to be hunting though because Sqeaky is coming heat. I'll make you a bet, I'll bet the cast I guide will score on more coon than yours. I'm not hunting or judging, just guiding. A six pack of Bud.

Old Post 05-18-2004 03:36 AM
John Wittenborn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Wittenborn Click here to Send John Wittenborn a Private Message Click Here to Email John Wittenborn Find more posts by John Wittenborn Add John Wittenborn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeremy Long
UKC Forum Member

I was in lexington KY with work last meeting.
I was not signed up to guide with either club during walker days because of work. Its basically impossible to sign up for anything except on the weekends for me. Jason and Jesse has signed up for all nights out of Tilden.

On Saturday night I actually was going to guide but Betsy is on a roll right now and I need two more wins with Betsy in UKC to finish her out, so Saturday I am heading to Daisy Mo.

Old Post 05-18-2004 06:57 PM
Jeremy Long is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeremy Long Click here to Send Jeremy Long a Private Message Find more posts by Jeremy Long Add Jeremy Long to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeremy Long
UKC Forum Member

One good thing about these old message boards...
I was going back through some old threads and there is my old buddy John Wittenborn..... Passed away a few years ago but was a great guy and coonhunting friend.
He always had interesting stories.

GrNtCh Long's Buttercreek Betsy
NtCh Long's Buttercreek Bubba
GrCh GrNtCh Jones' Rais in Cane
NtCh Ch ButterCreeks Big Win
NtCh Ch ButterCreek Thunder Storm

Old Post 06-10-2024 11:36 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Jeremy Long

Thank you so much for bringing this old thread back up. I really enjoyed reading all the posts on this thread, they brought back so many fond memories. I remember most of the things posted on this thread, carbide lights, bailing twine leads, grade dogs and the thrill of the hunt possums or coons trees, made no difference to me as a young boy. Dave

Old Post 06-11-2024 01:37 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Back in the early 70's when we hunted EVERY night, on those rainy nights we used trash bags for rain coats, worked good but got awful hot! Lol

Old Post 06-12-2024 06:41 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Hunt

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
Back in the early 70's when we hunted EVERY night, on those rainy nights we used trash bags for rain coats, worked good but got awful hot! Lol

Lol. I remember my father in law carrying a trash bag in his hunting coat for the same reason. This old thread has given me many good old days items to reflect on and brought back many good memories. I love these kind of threads. Dave

Old Post 06-12-2024 10:33 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote