UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > New dog blues
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MorAnd
UKC Forum Member

New dog blues

How long does it/should it reasonably take for a new dog to perform for a new owner ... grown dog, 3-7 years old? What is the craziest thing you've had or known of a new dog to do that it didn't do for the previous owner?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-12-2024 07:23 AM
MorAnd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MorAnd Click here to Send MorAnd a Private Message Find more posts by MorAnd Add MorAnd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PotBranch1
New UKC Forum Member

Re: New dog blues

Back several years ago, I bought a 6 year old male cur combo dog. It literally took 2 months of hunting before he got out from under my feet, after that he was treeing with the meat every time out.

Old Post 06-12-2024 11:56 AM
PotBranch1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PotBranch1 Click here to Send PotBranch1 a Private Message Click Here to Email PotBranch1 Find more posts by PotBranch1 Add PotBranch1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Every dog is different just like no 2 people are the same.

How long did you give the dog to get accustomed to you and his or her surroundings before taking him or her to the woods? What do you do with the dog when he or she is not hunting? Do you spend any time with the dog when it is not hunting?

They’re all individuals just like people. Some adjust quickly and others it can take weeks or months before they begin to act “normal”. Any time I’ve ever bought a fully trained dog I’ve always waited at least a week before I hunted it. During that in between time I make frequent trips to the kennel spending time handling/petting them up and talking to them so they get use to me. Load them up in the truck and haul them around when I’m doing errands. Anything to get them use to me.

Hounds are as individual people. They’re all different. Part of getting to know them is learning their personality. Some adjust quickly and some can take weeks or months to get fully comfortable with a new owner.

Hope the dog turns out to be what you’re looking for!

Old Post 06-13-2024 01:57 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MorAnd
UKC Forum Member

PotBrach, what was you doing or how was it acting when it was under your feet ... no interest in hunting at all, or just going out a few minutes and coming back?

DL NH, I usually just ignore him when he's not hunting. I don't want to pet him when he's not hunting, to me that'll be like rewarding him for not hunting. I'm thinking he's just not quite comfortable with me yet.

... Just wanted to hear a few opinions. Thanks.

Old Post 06-15-2024 06:41 PM
MorAnd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MorAnd Click here to Send MorAnd a Private Message Find more posts by MorAnd Add MorAnd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PotBranch1
New UKC Forum Member

He didn’t show any interest in hunting at the most he would go 20 yards. I was almost ready to give up on him, then one night it like he flipped a switch.

Old Post 06-15-2024 07:04 PM
PotBranch1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PotBranch1 Click here to Send PotBranch1 a Private Message Click Here to Email PotBranch1 Find more posts by PotBranch1 Add PotBranch1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

What DL NH is almost exactly as to what I would say…some dogs are really bad about not hunting for a new owner, especially cur dogs…the fastest way to get them to hunt is make friends with them first including long walks on leash…lots of petting and treats…once they get used to their new surroundings and accept you as their master they will hunt for you if he or she is a good hunting dog…

Old Post 06-15-2024 08:38 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote