UKC Forums
Show all 10 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Homemade Dog Box (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928449195)

Posted by TheHammer on 04-14-2016 10:25 PM:

Homemade Dog Box

Anyone ever welded a diamond plate aluminum dog box? Would 14 ga be strong enough or would 1/8" be better? 3/4" or 1" square tubing for a frame. Would you bother adding storage and make or buy vents and doors. Any other info would be appreciated.
-Henry

Posted by Trevor Lattimer on 04-15-2016 12:01 AM:

This was homemade from a plastic chemical tub by Nathan Lattimer in Ohio. its got diamond plate sliders and diamond plate back. used from old dog box.

Posted by shadinc on 04-15-2016 12:08 AM:

Nathan certainly knows what he's doing.

Posted by TheHammer on 04-15-2016 01:57 AM:

That box looks awesome. I'm planning on building one as a welding project. The one I have now still has some life left in it but I just like to stay busy. Planning on having the guy I buy metal from shear the diamond plate to size then just go about building a frame and welding it all together. Should be a fun weekend project

Posted by chuck west on 04-15-2016 02:30 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Trevor Lattimer

This was homemade from a plastic chemical tub by Nathan Lattimer in Ohio. its got diamond plate sliders and diamond plate back. used from old dog box.

Neat looking job there ,shoot I would be proud to own that box.

Gold Life member of G.P.A.A. #257936
Member of The Lost Dutchman's Mining Association #02890729

Posted by 99nighttrain on 04-15-2016 03:53 AM:

I made one out of 1/8" diamond and welded it all together and in my opinion it's too heavy. About all 1 guy wants to try and handle. I think it's 30"deep and 40" wide 19" tall. I would go lighter if I were to do it again.

Posted by Trevor Lattimer on 04-15-2016 04:17 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Nathan certainly knows what he's doing.

I wish I had the talent to be successful anything he makes or does. hes good!

Posted by TheHammer on 04-15-2016 05:16 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by 99nighttrain
I made one out of 1/8" diamond and welded it all together and in my opinion it's too heavy. About all 1 guy wants to try and handle. I think it's 30"deep and 40" wide 19" tall. I would go lighter if I were to do it again.

Did the box you made have a frame? Do you think 14 ga with a square tubing frame would be strong enough yet still light enough for one guy to load? Is yours lighter than a 3/8 plywood box with a 2x2 frame?
Thanks,
Henry

Posted by 99nighttrain on 04-15-2016 01:29 PM:

I think 14ga. with a frame would be strong enough. I also think 1/2" tubing would be plenty but whatever you feel comfortable with. Mine does not have a frame. I figure it just needs to hold the dogs in it. It's strong enough for me to stand on and I'm pushing 250lbs. I bent the top and bottom in the press and welded my sides to the bottom. And just bolt the top on. In the winter I line it with plywood. I'm guessing mine weighs about 60-70 lbs. It's a pain getting my arms around the thing to throw it on the truck.

Posted by oh coon hunter on 04-15-2016 04:00 PM:

ive built a couple boxes and one dog trailer for a guy 14 ga should be fine I built everything on mine except the vents and latches and I put storage on the trailer and the box it's kind of up to you I know 1/8 is heavy as heck to load by yourself lol