UKC Forums
Show all 19 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Senior Citizen Cast ? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=466444)

Posted by Chiggers on 12-06-2011 09:43 PM:

Senior Citizen Cast ?

Can someone Disabled get in the Senior Citizen Cast ? I have a Friend that loves competition hunting and was actually on a cast and hit by a drunk driver on the way back to the clubhouse. He is Disabled now and can walk and hunt but he is just slow now. He ask me to ask this question on here. Anyone know ?

Posted by kycooner1 on 12-06-2011 09:58 PM:

i Don't know for sure ,but It seems they should be able too..I know here in ky a senior /disable hunting license is the same thing.

(CH GRNTCH STAR HILL RAGIN BLACK JUDGE x Ch NTCH Lil PUke)

Frank & Lisa Yates
RAYWICK KY
270-692-6713

Posted by ssgied on 12-07-2011 01:00 AM:

I am in the same boat, and asked UKC the same question. Their answer was no, because supposedly the cast is supposed to move at a speed suitable for everyone. I don't agree but, that was their answer.

Posted by David Gardin on 12-07-2011 01:27 AM:

SENIOR CAST

ARE ONLY FOR THE HUNTER OVER 55 NOT ANY THING ELSE I HAVE THE RULES COMMITY BEAT THIS A FEW YEARS AGO AND NO YOUTH CAST IN A REGULAR HUNT NO DISABLE CAST AT ALL THEY PUT ON A DISABLE DEER HUNT AND SOME OF THE HUNTERS LOOK MORE ABLE TO CLIMB A TREE THAN THE REGULAR HUNTER I GUESS THIS IS LIKE EVER THING ELSE IN LIFE SOME TRY TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF WHAT THEY CAN AND RUIN IT FOR THE GUYS THAT REALY NEED IT I KNOW OF GUYS THAT ARE REALY DISABLE AND WOULD LOVE TO HUNT IN THE HUNT S A COUPLE TIMES A YEAR.

Posted by wildbill on 12-07-2011 02:57 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by ssgied
I am in the same boat, and asked UKC the same question. Their answer was no, because supposedly the cast is supposed to move at a speed suitable for everyone. I don't agree but, that was their answer.

thats real easy to fix,,since he knows the rules from hunting before the accident ,,he's still able to walk,right,,,

just have him enter his dog and tell the entry taker put him down for judge and guide,,,,rules say judge first one to arrive at tree..

rules are rules,,u just have to know them,,

wildbills101@yahoo
http://wildbills101.homestead.com/wildbills101.html

Posted by patches9452 on 12-07-2011 03:00 AM:

the cast is not suppose to move faster than the slowest member can

Posted by wildbill on 12-07-2011 03:03 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by patches9452

and the judge is the first to arrive at the tree,,

wildbills101@yahoo
http://wildbills101.homestead.com/wildbills101.html

Posted by Okie Dawg on 12-07-2011 03:09 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by patches9452

That is right and they have to let him hunt. If not they will open a can of worms they don't even want. A good lawyer would have a field day with that.

Tonkawa Okla. 74653
580-628-0507
CH 'PR' Grady's Dark Woods Waylon -Bluetic

NITECH 'PR' Grady's Insane Tinker Bell (Tink) - Treeing walker --Okla. State Hunt open redg. winner

'PR' Grady's Barley - Treeing Walker

Posted by Blake Mangus on 12-07-2011 11:19 AM:

I'm not a senior citizen yet, and I haven't competition hunted in 6 years either, but the last one I entered I was 17 and had just dislocated my ankle and broke my leg where I had a plate and 8 screws put in. I think it was about 2 weeks after because I hadn't got the hard cast on yet, needless to say I was on crutches and couldn't catch a break they had me in waste deep water and were a hundred miles an hour. That hunt made me rethink competition hunting for sure. I Understand it was my choice to enter and I'm not complaining I just think we owe it to the others in our cast to stay together not only can something happen where someone may need help, but we should enjoy the fellowship of the others. Especially our elders there is so much to be learned from them, it's hard to hear them if your 200 yards ahead. JMO

Posted by Chiggers on 12-07-2011 12:10 PM:

He still hunts in competition it just makes him feeel bad because he is slow.

Posted by Lakeland Kennel on 12-07-2011 02:42 PM:

I am a disabled veteran and now, I am a senior citizen. I hunt a lot of squirrel dog and beagle casts where they seem to have a tolerance for slower folks (often, half the cast or more are seniors or disabled in some way). Night hunt casts were never that way and by being the last to arrive at the tree, often, some kind of BS goes on. This is just one man's opinion.

LAKELAND KENNELS
PKC Sq Ch Lakeland's Mini Mouse
SqCh Lakeland's Goldie
SqCh Lakeland's Kate
GrCh HBCh Lakeland's Cricket II

Posted by Clay Lautzenhiser on 12-07-2011 03:33 PM:

Dave and others: if the cast is runing off and leaving you then they need to be written up. There is a procedure to keep them from doing it in the future. However if no one follows the procedure then they will keep doing it. If I am on a cast with an elder person or slower person, who isnt purposely delaying cast, then I will make the cast slow down for them.
Secondly I have discused this issue many times. While I am able to keep up most of time I have health issues that slow me up sometimes. I have 100% VA disability, DOD ID stating such and a State of Florida ID card stating such and can hunt the senior cast in either of the other KC's. I have actually been asked by the other cast members to hunt with them and even the hunt director on occasion. Most people would have a plaquard or something to verify they indeed need to be in the cast.
Perhaps it is something that should be discussed further by the rules committee.
In either case we all should be more respectful of our elders and treat them with respect!

PKC#50739

Posted by JiM on 12-07-2011 06:22 PM:

I have mixed feelings about this. Aside from sex, there is NOTHING I enjoy as much as hunting in a nite hunt but I seldom do it anymore because of my physical shortcomings. None of these things are anyone's fault, no one owes me a break just because I'm old and paying the price for my youthful stupidities.
The rule states the cast MUST maintain a pace that I can keep up with. At the same time, I feel I have an obligation to be reasonably able to hunt at a normal pace. Nite hunts are very physically demanding. Comes the time when I or anyone else cannot maintain a reasonably pace, I/we need to get out of the way and leave it to those who can.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Posted by Majestic Tree H on 12-07-2011 07:38 PM:

Well I'l tell ya I'm 50 couple of years old and Had a Very Rough Aprenticship as a Plumber in D.C. .. They Tore my Body to pieces !! Then I Repurtured a Disc while jurking a Sewer Machine up some Steps in 1998 ..

Now I guide alot of Cast now and Most of the Time I end up Helping chasing Down some Wayword "Deep Hunting Hound" with a Couple of young "Bucks" that are in a Trot !!! Well Being the Guide and the hound being Way off on someone else's Property I Feel Its my duty to Be with them till the Dog is Recovered ...

I could sure go for some Senior Cast !!! lol

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds

Posted by Chiggers on 12-08-2011 02:40 PM:

Any Official answer ?

Posted by amblue on 12-08-2011 03:16 PM:

perry i think the answers you have received are the same as what ukc will tell you. cast walks at speed of slowest cast member. i have explained this to the individual you are getting info for. thanks perry butch glass ps senior cast for 55 years and older only

Posted by Rolin Blues on 12-08-2011 03:43 PM:

Just Tell'em

Slow down guys. All cast members are to move as fast as the SLOWEST member of that cast. Everyone in my area knows what I'm talking about!!! If the dogs can't stay treed long enough for everyone to get there TOGETHER, then maybe someone needs to up-grade what they are hunting. Some just need to show a little RESPECT because of age or disability of other cast members. Take care, Ron.

Posted by JiM on 12-08-2011 03:56 PM:

It is rarely about the dogs staying treed, they aren't running to those trees because they are afraid their dog will leave. They are running because of the format UKC chose to place dogs. The most points wins. The fastest cast to the tree scores the most points.
I've drawn Marv Schmucker judging in PKC and I've drawn him judging in UKC. The difference? In PKC we get there when we get there. In UKC, Marv always makes it a point before the first drop to inform the cast that we will be there when the 5 is up if not sooner. Why? Because he is after every point he can squeeze out of that clock.
Senior casts are a fine thing. Disabled cast make sense. But if you hunt with the big boys, you better be prepared to cover ground. I don't want to be the guy holding up the cast.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Posted by Nelson Kirkland on 12-09-2011 12:01 AM:

Since JiM weighed in, soooo I am against drawing 3 slow pokes, or even 1 slow poke in a cast anymore. Yes I am of age to hunt with the seniors. I am not in the physical shape to hunt with the overweight or undernourished. Last time I checked a nite hunt is a timed event. If you spend your time waiting and waiting on the slowest guy, then I feel for you. There is nothing fair about drawing a slow poke and him complaining about those that dont go at his pace.

His pace should be back at the club like Jim and I will be someday. We will know when we can't do it anymore. When will others?