UKC Forums
Show all 7 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Big Game Hunting (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=36)
-- trigg, treeing walker cross (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=335216)

Posted by Cat and bear on 02-17-2010 03:09 PM:

Trigg, treeing walker cross?

Hey Folks,
Wondering your imput on a trigg, treeing walker cross. the good and bad. These winters, seem to be getting worse on dogs feet, and I'm thinking of putting some trigg in them. Any experiences

Posted by dumpthebox on 02-18-2010 04:56 AM:

I think you are on the right track.My Trigg crosses have definitely had tougher feet.It is really noticeable when you run bears 5 or 6 days a week like I do.

Posted by landrumkennels on 03-16-2010 02:48 AM:

trigg,treeinng walker cross

i bought a trigg/treeing walker cross about 1.5 years ago. see now outruns,outlasts,outbays,outtrees most dogs but she is hot (HOT)nosed. She is now bred to one of the best trail dogs i have owned. If that puts the nose along with her traits in the pups then it will be a great cross.

Posted by ncplotts on 03-16-2010 03:28 AM:

Friend of mine in Ontario crossed a July with a Plott for coyotes, resulting pups had great feet, but both parents had good feet. I've never seen a Trigg, dont know alot about them, but the Julys I have seen all had good feet as does the line of Plotts we are running. Hard crusty icy snow, 3-4 hr coyote chases on weekends and no cut up feet. It might pay to search out a line of Treeing Walkers that consistently throw good feet and nose power, as many of them as there is out there, maybe there's something that will work. Whatever you do, good luck and good hunting!

Posted by Cat and bear on 03-17-2010 01:32 PM:

Well Guys the cross was made. I've got a great cold nose treeing male walker, that throws his traits, the female is from bear blood triggs. We had the worst winter for hunting here, ice, and ice. Plott, english, walker, the only foot that held up was a walker running walker cross I had. 9 years, old, my stud dog never had a foot problem until this winter. I thought I would try the trigg, as their more of a track dog also then the other, running dogs. this line is suppose to have tree dogs in it, I wonder on nose, and grit, time will tell, I will keep you posted.

Posted by clark on 03-22-2010 06:10 AM:

Ive only been around a few,but seem to be tougher than nails and can hunt day after day without feet problems. Ive heard you have to be more careful what you breed to in them or you will loose grit, anyone else heard that ,or believe their any truth to that. I wouldnt think it would be any different than breeding to any of the other breeds. I would like to see and be around some more,but there doesnt seem to be alot around.

Posted by Cat and bear on 03-23-2010 03:22 PM:

Clark, I'm pretty sure your correct on the grit. a few thoughts, my male has grit to spare, his line does. are all pups going to be gritty, I doubt, the bitch is out of a guy that bred for bear dogs for years. Now, in wi, we can only run six dogs total. My opinion is probably this. In the south, they have no dog limit on bear, or at least where I got her line. So, how many running dogs can you turn loose, and how many does it take to get a bear to climb??. How many will tree? I'm very satisfied with the line I have now, but can you ever have enough feet, or speed, and endurance? Especially with the ice in winters, the last five years, We have highways around here, and when I jump, I want it caught in a hurry, so it dont get around the highways. I have spoke with some good hunters, that says, it works, I'm experiementing for my neck of the woods. One last thought, there is only 18 registered breeders for trigg hounds left, most trial guys, that is why, we are seeing a shortage of guys owning them compared to the other breeds. Time will tell my opinion, if she is bred