UKC Forums
Show all 20 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=)
-- UKC Noob (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928346766)

Posted by SixGun on 11-10-2013 06:51 PM:

UKC Noob

A friend pointed and then encouraged and then downright shoved in order for me to look at UKC as a conformation and performance competition venue. And now that I have I wonder why I waited sooooo long. Darn it.

Anyways, I've shown and competed in obedience and rally in AKC for a decade, so I have some idea of whats going on, but I have a few questions and I hope some can help.

I am looking at a show in 4 weeks. Is that enough time to register a single registration with UKC? It seems to be but I'd like to know for sure. Or should I just do the Temp # to be safe.

Its a 2 shows per day for 2 days show. Should I not enter the first day just to observe or will I be able to flow right into this? I don't want to interrupt the show through ignorance. There is not another show before hand for me to get to, that I am aware of.

Anyone in the Phoenix area that will be going to the December shows that would like to mentor?

Feel free to email me or PM too.

www.globalpaw.com

Posted by OLD OAKS BC on 11-10-2013 08:56 PM:

You don't need a mentor, just jump in all four paws and you're good to go! HAPPY SHOWING!

BUCKING BULLS AND SPORTS CATTLE

Posted by SixGun on 11-10-2013 09:35 PM:

Okie Dokie!!

I'm game.

How about the registration though? If I submit on Monday will it be back before early December?

www.globalpaw.com

Posted by octavia53 on 11-11-2013 12:25 AM:

I do both AKC and UKC Rally. Some signs are different so make sure to glance at the rules. If you forget or don't understand...there's ALWAYS people at UKC trials willing to help answer questions! Good luck and have fun!

Posted by Telaria on 11-11-2013 02:04 AM:

Six Guns, it normally takes 3 weeks to get your registration papers back from UKC. However, you can select RUSH service for an additional fee, it's on the registration form on the lower left. I don't work at UKC and can't give an 'official' answer but I'd think that you should have your number in time for the trial if you mail your application on Tues (no mail on Mon coz of Veterans Day).

Marty

AKC/UKC CH Sun Reh to Infinity N Beyond "Buggy" #3 2007
RBiMBS GRCH Sun Reh Starhawk "Linny" #2 2008, #8 2009, #6 2010 (at The Bridge)
U-CH. Sun Reh Daytona "Toni"
U-CH. Phelan's Saving Grace "Sissi" (at The Bridge)
AKC GRCh/U-GRCH Sanderlin Highlight at Telaria "Silly" #1 2011, #7 2012 (at The Bridge)
9 x Alt BiMBS AltCH/AKC Ch. Sun Reh Talladega "Tally Sue" (ALT Res BiMBS @ Premier, 6/17/2012) a/k/a the March 2012 Bloodlines cover girl (TNX Linda!)
AKC GrCH/U-GrCh. Tri-Del's Moonlite Chat "Lola" #2 2013, #9 2014
U-Ch. Sun Reh Moonlite on Water "Luna", Lola's BLUE daughter
U-GrCH. 'PR' Star Lake's Gift of Roses "Rosie" #5 2014 and
U-Ch. Arelette's Rozovaya iz Kendi "Vaya" the Russkiy Toys
and the rest of the 'Burgh Herd in Pittsburgh, PA

Posted by SixGun on 11-11-2013 02:06 AM:

Thank you everyone. I very much appreciate the advice! Hope to be able to update with some great results in a few weeks.

www.globalpaw.com

Posted by SueM on 11-11-2013 01:29 PM:

The only thing I can add is from my experience. I did UKC Rally with my Lab for the first time this summer. We've been doing AKC for about 6 years. It was a 4 trial/2day show. We entered the two trials the first day. I'd suggest getting a copy of the rules (Obedience as well as Rally) and practicing with UKC signs so you get used to the visual difference.

Posted by cintipwd on 11-11-2013 01:54 PM:

Sixguns You can always go with an online TL (temporary listing) number. This number is available to you within 24 hours. It cost extra over and above registration. It would be an alternative if you wanted to try out shows and performance events. Once you register offically your points and legs are automatically assigned to your perm. reg no. Some shows you can buy a TL number the day of show. Good Luck

Tammy Groene
Cincinnati OH

Posted by Beth Anglemyer on 11-11-2013 02:05 PM:

Hello,

The normal processing time for our registration department is 7 to 10 business days from the day that we receive the paperwork.

You are more than welcome to send your paperwork into us if for some reason you do not have a number in time for the trial you can purchase a Temporary listing number the Friday prior to the trial by calling our offices and speaking with the dog events department.

Have a great time at the event!

Posted by SixGun on 11-11-2013 02:54 PM:

Thank you Tammy and Beth.

I'm so excited!!

www.globalpaw.com

Posted by Bijoupoodles on 11-11-2013 10:33 PM:

Rally AKC vs UKC

We do both UKC and AKC rally and obedience.
here are some differences I found…

UKC clarify if you can touch the dog to stand or not… judges differ…

UKC you can ask the judges "is that OK"… and if they say "no" you can redo… the signs… some judges will also verbally tell you if you screw up..
AKC judges were horrified when I did this…LOL

UKC you fail a sign…. you fail.
AKC you fail a sign and you still pass…

UKC your competitors all help you on the walk throughs and will all cheer for you… EVERYONE wants you to do well, cause we are all in this sport to have fun with our dogs..
AKC… not so much…

ALSO.. just a tip, because a lot of people don't know about this. BUT… don't forget about Total Dog Award.

You enter conformation and win with competition and you enter your Rally and qualify and this qualifies you for a Total Dog Award.

You will have a blast !!! Good luck !
and welcome to the wonderful world of UKC !!

Posted by SixGun on 11-11-2013 10:58 PM:

Thank you Sue, that is great advice. I must have missed your original message. So sorry.

Thank you Bijou. All of these differences are such positives.!

www.globalpaw.com

Posted by SueM on 11-11-2013 11:33 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by SixGun
Thank you Sue, that is great advice. I must have missed your original message. So sorry...

No need to be sorry. It's easy to over look stuff. I do it all the time!

quote:
Originally posted by Bijoupoodles
...UKC your competitors all help you on the walk throughs and will all cheer for you… EVERYONE wants you to do well, cause we are all in this sport to have fun with our dogs..
AKC… not so much…

Maybe it's just the AKC trials I've been too, but I've seen competitors helping one another during the walk thrus. Some might be friends, but I, for one, have helped total strangers when they were stuck on something. But, yes, I definitely found the 2 UKC trials I did more relaxed than AKC.

Posted by SixGun on 11-12-2013 02:29 AM:

I can't wait to see the difference myself. I started doing Obedience and Rally because I liked the atmosphere more than the conformation ring and it made our day more fun if we did rally and conformation in a day versus just conformation. But then when we started the hunt tests I found it even more fun. I like companionship of the performance events and really dislike the clickiness of the conformation ring. Sometimes its just too exhausting to play the game.

www.globalpaw.com

Posted by CR_8118 on 11-12-2013 04:20 PM:

SixGun, I see you are another Weim person, welcome! Sure wish you lived closer, because although the Weim classes around here at AKC shows are really big, I have a hard time finding anyone to show against in UKC. I've never done rally or obedience, but I am doing agility along with conformation with my Weim and it's a blast!!!!

Posted by SixGun on 11-12-2013 10:17 PM:

Got to love those Weims!!

I used to live in the Midwest and I hear ya. Sometimes you can find some really good competition in AKC, although I hit dry spots in Illinois from time to time.

What do you think of agility in UKC? Do you do AKC agility also?

www.globalpaw.com

Posted by bahamutt99 on 11-14-2013 01:17 PM:

I've done UKC agility but not AKC. (I don't own an AKC breed.) It's been a few years, though, and I'm not sure what might have changed.

I'm given to understand that UKC agility is much less competitive and intense than AKC. The equipment can be smaller, although I've seen clubs use the same equipment for both UKC and AKC. There is more an emphasis on safety versus speed. For example, if your dog knocks a bar, you NQ. If your dog misses a contact, you can go back and redo the obstacle, it will just cost you time. And there are some obstacles that I don't think AKC has, like the swing plank, sway bridge, hoop tunnel, collapsed tunnel.

If I've given any bad info, y'all feel free to correct me. Loki got her UAG1 in 2007, and we haven't done agility since then.

Posted by SixGun on 11-14-2013 01:23 PM:

Thank you Lindsay. I'd love to see an APBT run agility. So much sprinting speed!!

www.globalpaw.com

Posted by bahamutt99 on 11-14-2013 01:58 PM:

We weren't that fast, but that was as much my fault as hers. She had a good time, though, which was the most important thing. She turned 10 this year, and I almost want to take another shot at that UAG2. She's deep-chested and now veteran, so she'll be jumping, like, 4"? LOL! (That's an exaggeration, obviously, but it wont be too high for the old lady.)

Posted by V Smack on 11-23-2013 05:33 AM:

My bit of advice is READ the RULE BOOKS on the EVENTS. I went from AKC to UKC and that was the thing I found most important. BTW Ukc to me is much more fun. My dog enjoyed UKC and had fun , to where in AKC sometimes the stress messed with him.