UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 41 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Coonhunting in the snow (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=314776)

Posted by Ron Ashbaugh on 11-27-2009 01:29 PM:

Coonhunting in the snow

I have always seemed to have a big mental hang up about coonhunting with snow on the ground. For those of you who get snow, what has been your experience and how much is too much??? Is it worth the effort?

I mean I know getting out is better than not getting out, but is it productive? Thanks

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Posted by Dan Dogs on 11-27-2009 01:40 PM:

coon don't like to run when the snow is up to there belly or the snow is stuck to the limbs on trees.. if its a heavy wet snow that packs good and they can stay on top, they will move good. they move good while its snowing but seems like the next night they wont move unless the sun has melted the snow off the trees. i like hunting on snow, as long as it isn't so deep i cant get around.lol

- Gr. CH Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan II
- CH. Gr. Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan III 2008 Performance Sire
- CH. Gr.Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan IV 2004 ukc world hunt finalist
- Ch. Gr.Nite Ch. Mounds Creek Sassy II
- Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Bucky HTX 3 wins towards grnite
- GrCh.GrNtCh Hickory Nut Bawlie HTX
-Nite ch. PR Iowa County CryBaby II 2013 Badger State Hunt Champion
qualified for 2013 UKC World Hunt
CH Nitech She Hate Me (scar) HTX Iowa County Kennels

Posted by josh tetting on 11-27-2009 01:45 PM:

same here

snow aint bad as long as it isn't balls deep....

CH, FCH,GRNTCH Ice Ages' Front Seat Fanny 2011 world finalist at 2 years old
Temp home of Grch, Fch, GrNtch Wades Red Busko

Posted by Dan Dogs on 11-27-2009 01:49 PM:

Re: same here

quote:
Originally posted by josh tetting
snow aint bad as long as it isn't balls deep....
ya, like the last 2 yrs..its bad when your hunting buddys have to pull you out of a snow drift and your not in a truck, your on foot..lol

- Gr. CH Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan II
- CH. Gr. Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan III 2008 Performance Sire
- CH. Gr.Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan IV 2004 ukc world hunt finalist
- Ch. Gr.Nite Ch. Mounds Creek Sassy II
- Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Bucky HTX 3 wins towards grnite
- GrCh.GrNtCh Hickory Nut Bawlie HTX
-Nite ch. PR Iowa County CryBaby II 2013 Badger State Hunt Champion
qualified for 2013 UKC World Hunt
CH Nitech She Hate Me (scar) HTX Iowa County Kennels

Posted by Lakeland Kennel on 11-27-2009 01:59 PM:

Frozen, crusted snow and a rutting boar coon in late January will let you know if you have a coon dog or not.

Lots of competition hunters around here don't hunt in January. I suspect their dogs need July kitten coons.

Nuff said.

LAKELAND KENNELS
PKC Sq Ch Lakeland's Mini Mouse
SqCh Lakeland's Goldie
SqCh Lakeland's Kate
GrCh HBCh Lakeland's Cricket II

Posted by burdette on 11-27-2009 02:01 PM:

anytime we have a wet or slushy snow i do real good. but if it is hard and froozen your wasting time but i still go to give the dogs some running time. BUT ALL I HUNT IS PUPS!!!!

Posted by robgregory on 11-27-2009 02:07 PM:

SNOW

I'm just real glad I live in a southern state.I hate snow.Y'all can keep it.LOL!
Rob Gregory

home#- 540-925-4437
cell#-757-339-3454
Home of:
"PR"High Lonesome Hannah. Nt.Ch. Hardtime Miss Kitty's Cat

Posted by jculler8 on 11-27-2009 02:12 PM:

MAN UP RON!!! haha. it isn't bad. still tree 2 or 3 a night around my house on a snowy night! it is productive and you find out what a dog is made of when it's cold and snow is on the ground!

HOME OF

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE HTX 2013 UKC Top 100 (May 2006-January 2017)

'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU (May 2006-June 2016)

PKC CH NITECH GRCH 'PR' COON BUSTIN' WHITE STUFF

CH 'PR' GOLD RUSH EXPO

'PR' BLACK KNIGHT'S BALU JETTA (May 2013-October 2015)

CH 'PR' CHERRY CREEK XBOX 2016 Treeing Walker Days King of Show

Posted by Robert Johnson on 11-27-2009 02:26 PM:

snow?

you mean people actually have to hunt in that stuff? If i never see another flake, it will be just fine with me. give me the warmth of the south, and i'll deal with the snakes and other critters. snow is just to messy when it starts to melt, and i haven't learned how to stand up very well in it either...lol

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Posted by Todd Miller on 11-27-2009 02:26 PM:

It makes a coon dog, adds to the bad weather scenario's. I would almost rather hunt when there's snow. Rules out a lot people that think they have a coon dog. Some times they have to go hunitn, not just run in an tree. Tests Hunts are little more interesting. No snakes outthen either.!!!!!!

Posted by bandithunter on 11-27-2009 02:33 PM:

Ya can learn a lot about your dogs tracking style on snow if you're willing to walk a little and ya if it's powder and blowing a little you better have a good dog or stay home.

Posted by Smoke on 11-27-2009 02:39 PM:

I've had some of my best hunts on the snow.

Posted by jay brademeyer on 11-27-2009 02:43 PM:

the only prob snow brings is cold weather, and i don't like it much. thats funny from someone that lives in northdakota. tracking conditions on wet snow is great. nothing better. but if you have alot, and it hinders your getting around in the woods , it is alot of work. as far as taking more of a dog or track dog to run coons on snow.. well that is false. that is the best tracking conditions in the world. (when it is wet). now if you have a dog that has been were it is warm and bring them to the cold and snow overnight, and they haven't had time to acclamate themselves to the cold , then ya , you will have probs. it will usually be in the form of not wanting to go hunting.

"Building on a solid foundation starts on the bottom side"

Posted by Big Bawler on 11-27-2009 02:50 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Dogs
coon don't like to run when the snow is up to there belly or the snow is stuck to the limbs on trees.. if its a heavy wet snow that packs good and they can stay on top, they will move good. they move good while its snowing but seems like the next night they wont move unless the sun has melted the snow off the trees. i like hunting on snow, as long as it isn't so deep i cant get around.lol

accurite advice

NITECH SILVERTONE REBEL YELL (never forgotten 1/3/10)
NORTHERN LIGHTS SHOOTER
NORTHERN LIGHTS SHIFTER
if it aint broke, fix it till it is...

Posted by Todd Miller on 11-27-2009 02:54 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by jay brademeyer
the only prob snow brings is cold weather, and i don't like it much. thats funny from someone that lives in northdakota. tracking conditions on wet snow is great. nothing better. but if you have alot, and it hinders your getting around in the woods , it is alot of work. as far as taking more of a dog or track dog to run coons on snow.. well that is false. that is the best tracking conditions in the world. (when it is wet). now if you have a dog that has been were it is warm and bring them to the cold and snow overnight, and they haven't had time to acclamate themselves to the cold , then ya , you will have probs. it will usually be in the form of not wanting to go hunting.

I am not talking wet snow, I am talking dry snow 15 to 18 degrees, maybe zero. Some of the best huntin. That takes a dog, and it will help those dogs that stand on there heads.

Posted by on 11-27-2009 03:06 PM:

Hunting on snows is the easiest tracking a dog will ever get. If they are moving, you will tree them. If they aren't moving you won't. It is just that simple. They never move on the first snow of the year, atleast not around here.

Posted by Todd Miller on 11-27-2009 03:17 PM:

I don't agree its the easiest, especially when the snow crystalizes, Some dogs won't even open when it gets like that.

Posted by 1deadeye on 11-27-2009 03:17 PM:

Like it was said. You don't know what you have till it snows and it gets deep. LOL I think the dry fluffy snow is the hardest to track in. Doesn't seem to leave a good track. I hit the rivers once it freezes. Coon need to drink.
I also think a hot nosed dog struggles more in the snow. I have one and she clearly struggles in it. I'll know soon enough. She just turned two, so this will be her third winter. Hoping for the best...
Scott

Home of,
PR Nitech Leinie Red Ryder
PR Jan Da Red Ryder Butcher ( JJ )

Posted by Todd Miller on 11-27-2009 03:22 PM:

Scott I knew you would post some Pics on here!! . I totally agree with you, tells what kind of nose your dog really has. I had a balck dog that liked to back track a little, I ran him in the snow Problem Solved....

Posted by Rip on 11-27-2009 03:30 PM:

We don't get to do it that much around here, but I love it when we do.

This is how it seems to be here, you can do great the night it starts snowin right when the front comes through.

You can do great the second night after the snow.

They seem to hole up and stay put the first night after, maybe cause they feed so much the night the storm hits or somethin??

I have also noticed that the dry, powdery snow doesn't seem to be near as good to track in as the wet snow, but never had any trouble trackin in any snow really, just seemed easier on wet.

Coon don't stir much around here when it gets down below 20 degrees or so, if it's around zero you better have a dog that will go yonder to tree one cause if not you may not even get struck (that goes out the window if it's a long cold snap, but the coon seem to know the weather better than we do LOL). They will stir if it has been that cold for a few days, just don't seem to stir good if it's just a short one.

The most challenging tracking time around here is right after the frost. You can tell what kind of nose the dog has if it's say in the 20's and you go right after the dew falls and freezes. Seems that's the time the pups don't have a clue how to track and the old dogs show them how it's done. A couple hours after don't seem to make that much difference how big the frost is, and before of course doesn't matter. But the tracking seems the toughest right as the frost sets up.

That's just what my experience has been.

Have treed a few coon below zero, not stupid enough now that I am older to do that anymore cause those are LONG nights LOL.

Posted by jculler8 on 11-27-2009 03:40 PM:

Tracking changes with conditions, however, coon have to eat year round. They move in all weather.

HOME OF

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE HTX 2013 UKC Top 100 (May 2006-January 2017)

'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU (May 2006-June 2016)

PKC CH NITECH GRCH 'PR' COON BUSTIN' WHITE STUFF

CH 'PR' GOLD RUSH EXPO

'PR' BLACK KNIGHT'S BALU JETTA (May 2013-October 2015)

CH 'PR' CHERRY CREEK XBOX 2016 Treeing Walker Days King of Show

Posted by 1deadeye on 11-27-2009 04:03 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Miller
Scott I knew you would post some Pics on here!! . I totally agree with you, tells what kind of nose your dog really has. I had a balck dog that liked to back track a little, I ran him in the snow Problem Solved....

LOL Todd.
I have vids to. I find the vids help me evaluate me and my responses to what the dogs is doing. Also if I missed something they did or didn't do at the tree .
I took my one hunt test in a foot of hard crusty snow. Leinie took the whole hour. She pushed this super cold track. I had my doubts walking into her after she treed. I thought it would be a den. But she had the meat and passed.
Just like by you. Hunting in the snow is a way of life here. Knowing where the open water is, increases your success rate I think. The last two years have really been hard. With over 100" one year and 70"+ the following year. I think I may buy some snow shoes this year.....
MMM Black friday. I think I'll head over to gander mountain.
Scott
One last pick for the southern boys.
20 degree's is a heat wave here..
Get R Dun at 0 degrees' It is a Wiscoonsin thing.

Home of,
PR Nitech Leinie Red Ryder
PR Jan Da Red Ryder Butcher ( JJ )

Posted by LUKE SOLMES on 11-27-2009 05:55 PM:

Up hear north of the border we get some cold weather & alot of the white stuff. It seems to me that the time of year has more impact on the coon than the weather. Bitter temps & lots of snow in mid december can shut down most coon movement. But by mid febuary it dosent matter how cold, or snow up to your waist they will be out roaming. JMO

Posted by Pastor Mike on 11-27-2009 07:08 PM:

Now Scott......you know that the VA Boys will hunt in bad weather....no matter how cold it is......snow....or freezing rain......we are game to hit the woods. I would rather hunt in frigid weather than to hunt in the wind...no matter how warm it is

GRNTCH GRCH 'PR' Soggy Bottom The Frog Dawg (current reproducers list)
NTCH CH Soggy Bottom The Bull Dawg
Soggy Bottom T-Top Miss Dottie
RIP
GRNTCH GRCH Soggy Bottom T-Top Haze HTX (Former#1 Reproducer)
CH Soggy Bottom T-Top Stella
GRNTCH GRCH Soggy Bottom T-Top Shadow
NTCH CH Soggy Bottom Bomber's Red Wire (Pigeon- former #1 Reproducer)
NTCH GRCH Red Cedar T-Top Lexus
CH Soggy Bottom T-Top Locket

Mike Laster
540-392-2441
pastorlaster@aol.com

Posted by treberta on 11-27-2009 07:17 PM:

Coon will move no matter how much snow is on the ground UNLESS the snow it hard and crusty. Then little to no movement from my experience. It hurts their feet.