UKC Forums
Show all 13 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- This is just for fun (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928532504)

Posted by Preacher Tom on 09-04-2020 07:32 PM:

This is just for fun

Would you be willing to give up all the hound traits in a dog, mouth, looks etc., for a dog that treed more coon. For instance would you hunt border collies if they could tree more coon? And let's just say that you could put them in any KC's hunts.

Posted by Cotton 1927 on 09-04-2020 07:38 PM:

If it's means getting your picture taken win some $ or a truck some folks would hunt a 3 legged tom cat but they prolly would keep another dog out back........

Posted by Dave Richards on 09-04-2020 08:36 PM:

Tom Wood

Personally, I would not give up the hound qualities, I enjoy listening to a dog trail a coon ( hound mouth) enjoy a distinct locate ( hound) and enjoy a good loud tree mouth ( hound). Treeing a bunch of coons really does not mean much if you don't enjoy how the coons were treed. I would not give a penny for a hot nosed poor mouth weak mouth tree dog. Coons hides are worthless, I want quality over quantity. Dave

Posted by nitehunter2004 on 09-04-2020 09:13 PM:

I could give up some things, but if it don’t sound like a hound should sound I can’t feed it much less Hunt it, no squeaky mouth no chop mouth no sir just can’t do it.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Posted by houndsound on 09-04-2020 09:46 PM:

Re: This is just for fun

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Would you be willing to give up all the hound traits in a dog, mouth, looks etc., for a dog that treed more coon. For instance would you hunt border collies if they could tree more coon? And let's just say that you could put them in any KC's hunts.

That's a Texas sized hard no.

Posted by Kler Kry on 09-04-2020 11:17 PM:

Outstanding Performance Over Mouth

I rate an outstanding performance over mouth type. As long as I can hear it and tell what kind of a track it is and what type of terrain they are running in from their voice. I prefer a screaming tenor squall/bawl on track and a chop on tree, but they better be trying to catch any track from cold to hot.

Nothing worse than a loud mouthed hound that constantly tells you how SORRY a track dog they are.

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 09-05-2020 12:55 AM:

Re: Tom Wood

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Personally, I would not give up the hound qualities, I enjoy listening to a dog trail a coon ( hound mouth) enjoy a distinct locate ( hound) and enjoy a good loud tree mouth ( hound). Treeing a bunch of coons really does not mean much if you don't enjoy how the coons were treed. I would not give a penny for a hot nosed poor mouth weak mouth tree dog. Coons hides are worthless, I want quality over quantity. Dave
same here Dave👍

Posted by pamjohnson on 09-05-2020 12:55 AM:

Re: Outstanding Performance Over Mouth

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
I rate an outstanding performance over mouth type. As long as I can hear it and tell what kind of a track it is and what type of terrain they are running in from their voice. I prefer a screaming tenor squall/bawl on track and a chop on tree, but they better be trying to catch any track from cold to hot.

Nothing worse than a loud mouthed hound that constantly tells you how SORRY a track dog they are.

yes there is. A loud mouthed slick treeer telling ya he has another slick.LOL

Posted by shadinc on 09-05-2020 01:23 AM:

Re: Tom Wood

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Same here.

Posted by Kler Kry on 09-05-2020 01:34 AM:

Re: Re: Outstanding Performance Over Mouth

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
yes there is. A loud mouthed slick treeer telling ya he has another slick.LOL

DITTO, I'd say they are both culls!

Posted by nextcoonhunters on 09-05-2020 02:13 AM:

Coondog

First they have to consistently get under coons to have that title. But if you're asking if I'm willing to give up a good hound mouth and listen to something that's sounds like you stomping on a cats tail to get one more coon a night, than no. I'm also not willing to chase a dog miles and miles every night so it can be alone and have a different or one more coon. Split no problem different zip code just because, no way. If I wanted it to hunt in the next county I'd of drove there to start with. But in all fairness to some hounds I've heard, I understand why their owners want them in a different county. Hurts my ears to listen to some of them.
Ps anyone know what kind of dog was bred into the hounds to get that mouth?

Posted by steve bankston on 09-05-2020 02:33 AM:

No

No. If all I wanted to do was look at a lot of coons I don’t even need a dog. I would go to Illinois or some place similar and walk around edges of cornfields and shine all the Coon sitting up. Probably 20 or more every night. I’m not in it just to see a bunch of Coon nor am I in it for wins of money or trophies. I’m in it for the love of the hound, everything about him from the long ears to the long Bawl mouth with lots of volume. Take the Collie and go win all the trucks and fill their beds up with money and get the pictures took and look at all those Coon. Give me the old hound that will tree three or four a night and I will stay to myself in the swamps along the river and be much happier than the guy that has to listen to that Collie dog yap yap all night.

Posted by Dave Richards on 09-05-2020 02:41 AM:

Steve

Could not have said it any better. Dave