UKC Forums
Show all 23 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Crawfish (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928532278)

Posted by Pat Miltons on 08-26-2020 10:09 PM:

Crawfish

Tonight I just seen more crawfish in our creek than I've seen in a lotta years, and big ones too! I start pups on coon but I'm not really a coon hunter anymore. I dont know if crawfish makes a difference. But in Michigan it might be a good night to cut a hound up a creek.

Posted by shadinc on 08-27-2020 01:20 AM:

It sounds like a good time to set crawfish traps.

Posted by Dave Richards on 08-27-2020 01:42 AM:

Donald

I don't think folks eat them up North, you could have a field day trapping and eating those mudbugs. Lol. Dave

Posted by shadinc on 08-27-2020 02:40 AM:

Re: Donald

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I don't think folks eat them up North, you could have a field day trapping and eating those mudbugs. Lol. Dave
Yea, I always heard them Yankees don't know as much about good eatin' as us Cajuns.

Posted by yadkintar on 08-27-2020 02:44 AM:

I wish I had a penny for every one I have ate.

Tar

Posted by shadinc on 08-27-2020 02:46 AM:

Tar, you must have learned that in South Texas.

Posted by yadkintar on 08-27-2020 02:59 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Tar, you must have learned that in South Texas.

My grandpa Massey was Cajun lol. We didn’t cull nothing at supper time. When it rained they would come out on the roads in large numbers those big red ones you just picked them up put them in a bucket of water let them purge out the mud and then it was supper time.

Tar

Posted by Dave Richards on 08-27-2020 03:17 AM:

Crawfish

I actually like to eat them, kind of like a mini lobster. My only complaint is that they aren't big enough, just a couple small bites. Dave

Posted by yadkintar on 08-27-2020 03:24 AM:

Re: Crawfish

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I actually like to eat them, kind of like a mini lobster. My only complaint is that they aren't big enough, just a couple small bites. Dave

That’s were the corn on the Cobb and new potato’s come in.

Tar

Posted by Dave Richards on 08-27-2020 03:34 AM:

Tar

Now you are talking, I love fresh sweet corn on the cob and new potatoes, the crayfish is just extra. Dave

Posted by Pat Miltons on 08-27-2020 05:33 PM:

My wife and I stopped counting at 63, I honestly never seen so many out in the open like that. We first noticed them because of the air bubbles.
Tar what do you suppose all the air bubbles were from?

Posted by yadkintar on 08-27-2020 05:36 PM:

Re: 63

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Miltons
My wife and I stopped counting at 63, I honestly never seen so many out in the open like that. We first noticed them because of the air bubbles.
Tar what do you suppose all the air bubbles were from?

That I don’t know might be an underground spring.

Tar

Posted by Dave Richards on 08-27-2020 05:50 PM:

Pat

I suspect that the crayfish were mating for you to see that many, mating occurs late summer and the bubbles were air trapped under the crayfish that was being released and coming to the top of the water. Hope this helps. Dave

Posted by Pat Miltons on 08-27-2020 07:52 PM:

Thanks

Dave that's kinda what we were wondering. It was a short steady stream of bubbles coming from under some of them. But I have to say I thought for sure Tar would have had a comical answer.

Posted by yadkintar on 08-27-2020 08:14 PM:

Re: Thanks

quote:
Dave that's kinda what we were wondering. It was a short steady stream of bubbles coming from under some of them. But I have to say I thought for sure Tar would have had a comical answer.

I actually did captain Phil on deadliest catch said those bubbles were crab toots lol.

Tar

Posted by Pat Miltons on 08-27-2020 09:48 PM:

There it is!

Things have been crazy these past 4 months and this site has been a good place to go for a little normalcy and a chuckle now and then!

Posted by yadkintar on 08-27-2020 09:52 PM:

Re: There it is!

quote:
Things have been crazy these past 4 months and this site has been a good place to go for a little normalcy and a chuckle now and then!

Just try to keep somthing to read on hear so they can do their best to get back to normal.

Tar

Posted by pamjohnson on 08-27-2020 11:59 PM:

I like eating them but up north here there not near as plentiful or as big in many areas.

Posted by shadinc on 08-28-2020 12:54 AM:

Crawfish used to be cheap in Louisiana, but other folks found out how good they are and now they're being shipped all over the country. Not so cheap anymore.

Posted by yadkintar on 08-28-2020 12:56 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Crawfish used to be cheap in Louisiana, but other folks found out how good they are and now they're being shipped all over the country. Not so cheap anymore.

Kinda like the price of chicken wings we used to use them for crab bait.

Tar

Posted by Dave Richards on 08-28-2020 01:10 AM:

Donald Bergeron

How are you doing? Did you get any storm damage? Dave

Posted by shadinc on 08-28-2020 01:26 AM:

Not a bit, Dave. The storm was well west of me. I'm 15 miles southeast of Baton Rouge.

Posted by Dave Richards on 08-28-2020 03:57 AM:

Donald Bergeron

That's great news, I still pray for ALL of those folks that were affected by this storm. Dave