UKC Forums Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »
Show all 70 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- real coon dogs (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=454543)

Posted by joshua smith on 10-07-2011 02:09 AM:

real coon dogs

is it just me or does everybody these days want high dollar pups off of dogs with a lott of degrees. no offense to anyone but it seems like all i can find anymore is dogs that are to tree happy and not enough track. everybody round here run there dogs on feeders and dont train them to find there own coon to run. then you go to a hunt and make alot of trees and see very few coons. every time i take a cast to my faverat spots people say there ant no coons here. but the funny thing is i tree coons there all the time. and these dogs there hunting a lot of times are supposed to be off of high dollar dogs. i guess that why everyone hunts pkc nowadays just got to have a tree dog. just like the world hunt a few years ago. every one hunted over feeders any dog can tree coons on feeders. feeder dogs arent coon dogs.

Posted by Paul Coffey on 10-07-2011 02:27 AM:

Re: real coon dogs

quote:
Originally posted by joshua smith
is it just me or does everybody these days want high dollar pups off of dogs with a lott of degrees. no offense to anyone but it seems like all i can find anymore is dogs that are to tree happy and not enough track. everybody round here run there dogs on feeders and dont train them to find there own coon to run. then you go to a hunt and make alot of trees and see very few coons. every time i take a cast to my faverat spots people say there ant no coons here. but the funny thing is i tree coons there all the time. and these dogs there hunting a lot of times are supposed to be off of high dollar dogs. i guess that why everyone hunts pkc nowadays just got to have a tree dog. just like the world hunt a few years ago. every one hunted over feeders any dog can tree coons on feeders. feeder dogs arent coon dogs.

That has nothing to do with PKC

Posted by joshua smith on 10-07-2011 02:36 AM:

Re: Re: real coon dogs

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul Coffey
That has nothing to do with PKC [/QU
do you have to see a coon to win a pkc hunt

Posted by Dwils on 10-07-2011 02:46 AM:

Joshua I understand your a man with stereotypical views on pkc dogs but the caliber of dogs are higher in pkc!! You will more likely draw a loner treed with a coon!

NtCh PKCCh Skuna River Faith
NtCh PKC Ch Catch This
Silver Ch River Bend Lacey

Posted by joshua smith on 10-07-2011 02:57 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Dwils
Joshua I understand your a man with stereotypical views on pkc dogs but the caliber of dogs are higher in pkc!! You will more likely draw a loner treed with a coon!
nothing against you or anyone else. just dont like to pkc hunt and i have in a few. and it may just be the people i hunted with. but like i said i tree coons on a regular basis where people say there ant no coons and i have went through several dogs from round here and they just dont hold up to what i call a coon dog and my dog ant the best in the world

Posted by Les Young09 on 10-07-2011 03:23 AM:

Joshua

What Dwils says is way more typical of PKC dogs. Very independent & usually undwer a coon.

Posted by amazingcursouth on 10-07-2011 03:39 AM:

i like hunting the hunts, and i like UKC ACHA PKC NKC. all have good hunts, but i will say this. PKC brings out the high caliber dogs. You don't show up to hunt for a truck or 25 k with a tree happy dog. you better have something that can show you some fur. Plus points wins the money, and if a guy as plus and you don't your out. Most guys that hunt ukc also hunt pkc. so when the caliber of your dog rises you will enjoy them all. hey I can even pull out my ol cur dog and run PKC. them boys hate getting beat by an ol cur dog. lol

Mossy Pond Modacious (MO)
Mossy Pond Amazing Gracie

Posted by Sparky on 10-07-2011 01:36 PM:

Joshua,
If everyone else has slick treeing idiots you hunted against and you don't, you should love pkc. Be like taking money from a baby for you. I've won very few casts by not treeing a coon, lost abunch cause I didn't and another dog did though.

Posted by Ray Lilly on 10-07-2011 02:35 PM:

I hear some people say there are better dogs in PKC but I just hav'nt seen it. I will say there are better handlers in pkc because most are paid handlers but not better dogs from what I've seen.

Gr.NiteCh. Lilly's GA. Joe (GrniteCh Flippo's Mr.Bigshot X NiteCh Ace female)
Gr.NiteCh. Lilly's GA. Buckshot (Joe X Albert's Last Chance female)
'PR' Lilly&Swan's Allnight Tuff Enuf (Joe X GrNite Ch Swan's Allnight Ashley)co-owned with Jamie Swan
'PR' Lilly's Ga. Joe II (Joe X GrNiteCh Ch Swan's Allnight Ashley)
'PR' Collake's Pretty Patsy (4 Time Floyd x Rocket female)

Posted by Paul Coffey on 10-07-2011 02:51 PM:

Re: Re: Re: real coon dogs

quote:
do you have to see a coon to win a pkc hunt [/B]

At the end of the night there should be a winner regardless of points. There was a dog that looked better than 3 others that night in his/her cast. Its the same concept as winning with plus points, one dog looked better, and had more points, so that dog wins.

Posted by Ray Lilly on 10-07-2011 02:54 PM:

Re: Re: Re: Re: real coon dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Coffey
At the end of the night there should be a winner regardless of points. There was a dog that looked better than 3 others that night in his/her cast. Its the same concept as winning with plus points, one dog looked better, and had more points, so that dog wins.

I completely disagree! If they cant tree a coon then they should'nt win whethers its your dog or mine. It's called COONhunting not a treeing contest.

Gr.NiteCh. Lilly's GA. Joe (GrniteCh Flippo's Mr.Bigshot X NiteCh Ace female)
Gr.NiteCh. Lilly's GA. Buckshot (Joe X Albert's Last Chance female)
'PR' Lilly&Swan's Allnight Tuff Enuf (Joe X GrNite Ch Swan's Allnight Ashley)co-owned with Jamie Swan
'PR' Lilly's Ga. Joe II (Joe X GrNiteCh Ch Swan's Allnight Ashley)
'PR' Collake's Pretty Patsy (4 Time Floyd x Rocket female)

Posted by StrawberryMt on 10-07-2011 05:08 PM:

Its pretty simple.If you are treeing coons in areas they say there isn't any coons then you should have a pretty consistant cast winner and cast wins can turn into hunt wins.Instead of bashing the other dogs throw your hat in and you should win more than your share unless your dogs backing on all that slick treeing.

http://stirekcanineservices.weebly.com

Posted by Virgil on 10-07-2011 05:16 PM:

I wish there was as bad a dogs at the clubs I hunt out of as the ones some of you people do. I hunt in pretty thin coon and I haven't been on a cast in a long time that it didn't take at least 1 coon to win, PKC or UKC.

I'd love to draw all these slick treeing, cant run a track, feeder bucket dogs everyone talks about.

And for those of you that don't think there are some really good dogs hunting PKC you are wrong.

Posted by 1nighthunter on 10-07-2011 05:34 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Dwils

YOUR KIDDING RIGHT HIGHER CALIBER OF DOGS WHAT A JOKE JUST KEEP PUTTING THE SAME DOG BACK IN EVERY TIME YOU GET BEAT BETTER DOGS GOOD GRIEF ALL YOU NEED IS A DOG THAT GETS TREED DOES NOT MATTER IF THERE IS A COON HIS THERE OR NOT ITS ALL ABOUT SLICK HANDLERS AND MONEY

I spent a lot of money on booze, dogs and trucks. The rest I just squandered.

If a man had half his wishes he would double his troubles

I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film

Posted by Bobby Reynolds on 10-07-2011 05:34 PM:

On the average, you will see ALOT better dogs in PKC than you will at UKC. When I hunt PKC, most of the time one dog does the work and everything else is just along for the ride. When I hunt PKC most of the time we are walking to split trees. Most people that I have heard complain about Pkc just don't have the dog power to compete. I said most, not all, so don't be offended. That is just the facts. There are some nice hounds being hunted in both PKC and UKC hunts and I hunt them both. But over all, better dogs in PKC. Back to the origin of this topic, yes I think dogs are different today than they used to be. Some good, some bad.

Posted by Bobby Reynolds on 10-07-2011 05:36 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by 1nighthunter
YOUR KIDDING RIGHT HIGHER CALIBER OF DOGS WHAT A JOKE JUST KEEP PUTTING THE SAME DOG BACK IN EVERY TIME YOU GET BEAT BETTER DOGS GOOD GRIEF ALL YOU NEED IS A DOG THAT GETS TREED DOES NOT MATTER IF THERE IS A COON HIS THERE OR NOT ITS ALL ABOUT SLICK HANDLERS AND MONEY

If you believe that come on over here and I will proove how wrong you are.

Posted by shawnfitzgerald on 10-07-2011 05:45 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by 1nighthunter
go enter and try to beat them with a slick treeing idiot. when you hunt for money there has to be a winner state laws and tax laws they cant keep the money. its not because there dogs cant tree coon. go hunt in a few and you will see that you will draw better dogs and handlers not much bickering and fighting because everyone knows the rules.we have a blue book to go by not make the rules up as we go like some others.

Posted by groworg1 on 10-07-2011 05:46 PM:

leaves will be gone soon seperate the men from the boys

Posted by Frank M on 10-07-2011 06:31 PM:

I like others hunt both PKC and UKC......in my experiance you hunt with the same dogs during the in PKC as you do on Saturday's in UKC. It amazes me the number of people that think PKC has nothing but mean dogs and UKC has nothing but babbling idiot's. To answer your question yes I believe the calbier of the dogs we hunt have went south on the average.

GrNtCh GrCh PKC Ch 'PR' Kate N Roys Demon Seed

NtCh FCh CH 'PR' Just A Dog

Just hunting to have some fun.
Use only the Rules UKC has writen not the ones you think should be there!

Posted by Bob Hennessey on 10-07-2011 06:54 PM:

By reading the posts on here, I'm confused. I'm reading that most hunters hunt both UKC and PKC do they switch dogs when the hunt the different KC's? Why I ask is because I'm reading that there are a lot better dogs hunting in Pkc. Do the same dogs get hunted in both, and get meaner in PKC and more slick treeish in UKC or is this thread mostly BS?

You can't fix STUPID!

Posted by Virgil on 10-07-2011 07:13 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by The Seeker
By reading the posts on here, I'm confused. I'm reading that most hunters hunt both UKC and PKC do they switch dogs when the hunt the different KC's? Why I ask is because I'm reading that there are a lot better dogs hunting in Pkc. Do the same dogs get hunted in both, and get meaner in PKC and more slick treeish in UKC or is this thread mostly BS?

A lot of BS. The only difference I see in the two is that UKC brings out some pleasure hunters from time to time along with the seasoned competition hunters and PKC is almost exclusively the seasoned competition guys. For that reason most UKC hunts have a couple more dogs and will have a few dogs of lesser ability. Most PKC hunts about everyone is packing a dog capable of winning.

Posted by Bobby Reynolds on 10-07-2011 07:25 PM:

Seeker, I think the answer to your question is that alot PKC hunters will hunt both PKC and UKC. But when you go to the UKC hunts, you also pick up alot of UKC only hunters. I will also stand by my statement earlier in this post, that most of the bad mouthing of PKC is coming from people who do not have a dog that can compete in PKC. I said most, not all. Alot of people I see bad mouthing PKC around here has not even been in a PKC hunt or when they was they claim they got cheated when in fact they just didn't know the rules. About the only disagreements I have had in PKC lately has been someone who did not know the rules and wanted something scored the way he thought it should be instead of what the rules read. Alot of the bashing comes from someone who just heard something and passed it on as knowlege. It amazes me what some consider to be knowlege. It is something you learn from facts, not hearsay. I like both KCs and will continue to hunt both, as I have for 25 years now. But look at the scorecards, you don't see no 1500+ scores at PKC events. Why, they are alot more honest and like it or not, that is just the FACTS. By the way, a slick treeing idiot will only go so far and that is not what PKC is promoting!

Posted by GA DAWG on 10-07-2011 07:27 PM:

One thing Ive never seen. Thats a die hard ukc man that whines about not treeing coons and winning. Ive never ever saw one donate the money back to the club or something when they win a pkc hunt with least minus or circle. Just never saw it. I like all hunts but had rather hunt pkc 100 to 1...If you dont think you draw a different caliber of hound in pkc hunts. Well you aint hunted many or any!! I can take a 1yr old pup to a pkc hunt and draw 3 grandntchampions. Can yall not see thats more difficult? You want do that a sat night ukc hunt. Unless its a rqe. All weeknight pkc hunts are just like rqes lol...

Posted by patches9452 on 10-07-2011 08:03 PM:

in the last 6 weeks i have been to 5 pkc hunts 5 ukc hunts and 1 akc hunt... coons saw in all ukc hunts and the akc hunt but coon were one scored in 2 of the 5 pkc hunts..... this is all cast

Posted by amazingcursouth on 10-07-2011 08:13 PM:

Like i said before I like all the Hunts. PKC is going to have a winner. But rarely do you find a overall winner win on minus point. The thing of it is, if PKC is full of slick treeing mean dogs, and you have a dog that will get alone and have a coon then you are sitting on a gold mine. Plus points will always win over circle or minus. BUT most guys that whine about PKC don't have nothing to hunt in PKC UKC ACHA (which may be the hardest to win in) or any of the rest. UKC gets alot of first timers or guys just hunting to Hunt. PKC has more in it to win it hunters. And Look at the books they pack coon dogs. Mojo, Demon, Bone Collector, Bellar Gabby and i can go on and on. And i will Sunrise, Tn Hardrock, Wipeout Clayton, Hellbilly, Zeb hello dang my fingers are getting tired. These dogs could and did tree coon no matter where you sit them down. Yes you have good and bad in all but if im hunting for 20k i don't wont to take a chance on winning on minus i better have a dog that can tree a coon.

Mossy Pond Modacious (MO)
Mossy Pond Amazing Gracie