UKC Forums
Show all 11 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Split tree???? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928555159)

Posted by VAPOSSUMHNTR on 03-28-2024 07:13 PM:

Split tree????

First off i completely understand why everyone wants a dog to be independent and split, i also here guys bragging how their dog will absolutely not be with another hound. I guess my question is when you hunting an area with a thin coon population there's a great chance that there isn't enough coons for all 4 dogs to be split, so would you rather have your dog with no points just so you can say it won't back another hound or would you rather get what you can get and hope that you can catch up on the recast?
Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but give me those plus points, I'll take that over nothing at least it keeps me in the game, jmo.

Posted by jawscardodger on 03-28-2024 10:54 PM:

The new style dogs are for where there's a lot of coon. Which is where most of the big hunts are held.

Posted by jawscardodger on 03-28-2024 10:54 PM:

The new style dogs are for where there's a lot of coon. Which is where most of the big hunts are held.

Posted by Ohio1993 on 04-22-2024 11:51 PM:

That's why I like the hound I am currently running. He will be by himself unless he's unable to get anything going, then he will join in.

Posted by GLANCY'S 7 MILE on 04-30-2024 02:42 PM:

Re: Split tree????

quote:
Originally posted by VAPOSSUMHNTR
First off i completely understand why everyone wants a dog to be independent and split, i also here guys bragging how their dog will absolutely not be with another hound. I guess my question is when you hunting an area with a thin coon population there's a great chance that there isn't enough coons for all 4 dogs to be split, so would you rather have your dog with no points just so you can say it won't back another hound or would you rather get what you can get and hope that you can catch up on the recast?
Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but give me those plus points, I'll take that over nothing at least it keeps me in the game, jmo.

If they come and back a dog their still losing, I'd rather mine be trying to tree its own, then to come back another dog. I don't care if dogs strike a track and tree together, but I don't want my hound to piggy back off another dog. Most will go to another zip code to find a coon rather then come in and tree with another dog.

GRNITECH PKC CH 'PR' HARD KNOCKIN STYLISH MAC (RIP)
GRNITECH X2 PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE CLYDE
NITECH PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE MERCY

Posted by VAPOSSUMHNTR on 04-30-2024 04:04 PM:

Re: Re: Split tree????

quote:
Originally posted by GLANCY'S 7 MILE
If they come and back a dog their still losing, I'd rather mine be trying to tree its own, then to come back another dog. I don't care if dogs strike a track and tree together, but I don't want my hound to piggy back off another dog. Most will go to another zip code to find a coon rather then come in and tree with another dog.

I agree with this assessment, backing a dog and treeing with another dog is entirely different, i absolutely do not want mine traveling into a tree just bec he heard other dogs treeing but some guys dont want them even treeing together at all........case in point, i was on a cast this weekend, little female hound didn't really hunt much, a dog fell treed and then she fell treed, she took minus for being off the tree ( coon was seen), next drop, dogs shot out, she just milled around not really hunting, well she eased off about 100 yds in the other direction struck and fell treed, had the coon, had she not took that minus she would have won the cast and she would have won it bec she didn't mind treeing with another dog even if she wasn't 1st. So i guess what I'm saying is i def do not want and will not own a true backpacker but i don't want one that's to proud or to scared to get a little of someone Elses either if that makes any sense.

Posted by buff1978 on 04-30-2024 04:47 PM:

I don't want a me too dog either,but I don't want them going into another zip code to tree one either.dont care if it's pleasure or competition hunting.

Posted by Clif Owen on 04-30-2024 09:54 PM:

I recall a guy telling me once that if his didn't tree FIRST; he didn't call her treed because she wouldn't be there. My response was what if she dis get treed first and you don't hear her because you were walking or other dogs were louder or something. Just seems risky to me.

Posted by Clif Owen on 04-30-2024 09:54 PM:

I recall a guy telling me once that if his didn't tree FIRST; he didn't call her treed because she wouldn't be there. My response was what if she did get treed first and you don't hear her because you were walking or other dogs were louder or something. Just seems risky to me.

Posted by GLANCY'S 7 MILE on 05-01-2024 12:00 AM:

Most are trained to be by themselves. I'd say less then 10% are natural dead loners, the rest are MAN MADE LONERS. I want a 1st tree dog, weither it's by itself or a head of the pack! Alot easier to train them to get alone then it is to be FASTER!

GRNITECH PKC CH 'PR' HARD KNOCKIN STYLISH MAC (RIP)
GRNITECH X2 PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE CLYDE
NITECH PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE MERCY

Posted by honalieh on 05-12-2024 05:27 AM:

That says it all right there.

quote:
Originally posted by GLANCY'S 7 MILE
Most are trained to be by themselves. I'd say less then 10% are natural dead loners, the rest are MAN MADE LONERS. I want a 1st tree dog, weither it's by itself or a head of the pack! Alot easier to train them to get alone then it is to be FASTER!

You hit the nail on the head right there. While there are 1st Tree Dogs that will hold under split tree pressure, there is no such thing as a split treeing 1st tree dog. For a dog to split tree, another dog has to ALRERADY BE TREED. It amazes me that people will brag about having a split tree dog (which is, by definition, a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th tree dog---2nd at best). I guess I don't understand why someone would brag about having a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th tree dog. Love it when a puppy does it; gives you hope that they will develop and get better, and maybe become 1st tree dogs in the future (time to single them out).

Exception: If the first tree dog is slick treeing, I appreciate the dog that will split and have the meat!!!